• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sickbean

Think I'm gonna go for Bandit first, completely ignore all magic and miracles, and try to keep the standard armour for as long as possible.

I've always liked the idea of trying to stay true to the identity of the starting class throughout the game.

Sentenza

Actually, it is really smart. They are going to wrangle in a bunch of sales from the impatient people who want to play it on PC. Announce the date for PC release 3-7 weeks later. Guaranteed double dipping.
As I said in another thread, i seriously doubt "double dipping" is as statistically relevant as some people on this forum seem to think.
Most people don't "double dip", they just stick to the first version they buy.

Nice OP

Is there a list of UK retailers that offer the Black Armour edition for pre-ordering? I'm seeing Amazon and Game from the Google search. Are there any more?

Kensuke

Just found out pyromancies require faith now. It goes something like this:

Sorcery - All Intelligence
Miracles - All Faith
Pyromancy - Major Intelligence, Minor Faith
Hexes - Major Faith, Minor Intelligence

I didn't want to invest in faith though. Not sure what do with my build now. Can I live without the fire spells?

Raitaro

Not until reading this thread did the hype really get to me yet, but now I'm feeling it all the way down to my bones. Umbasa, Praise the Sun, You have a heart of gold, Let the world be mended, and all that jazz.

Why oh why do I have to waste almost another full week for this game to be handed down from the heavens in Europe when the US is blessed in a week's time? And that's assuming Amazon actually delivers it on Friday the 14th. What makes the wait even worse is that I'll have to avoid most of the internet as well between Monday and Friday...sigh.

(And yes, I could do other stuff in the mean time to distract myself, like looking for jobs or playing other games and such, but it does feel a bit pointless and impossible while going Hollow during the wait for this game. Call me lazy or crazy, but remember, it is only human to commit a sin. heh heh heh heh...)

The_Monk

Since there's going to be huge levels of hype I though I should drop here to share my love for the Souls series with my good fellow GAFfers.

Demon's Souls: When I first heard of Demon's Souls there was not even plans to release it over here in Europe. A family friend of mine was pretty hyped for this game since he is a big fan of game with this setting. A local store was accepting pre-orders from the Asia version of Demon's Souls. While the manual and cover was in Chinese everything else was in English. He decided to pre-order it since he was full of hype and when the game released he played a lot of it. Yet he never passed that big Knight in the very beginning (he's a very casual player). After one year he made no more progress so he quit. He stopped by my house and said: "Here, I know you always wanted this game so it's my offer to you,have fun!" It was the most scariest game I played. Worst than any previous Silent Hill or Resident Evil. The fear of being killed even with the most easiest soldier was haunting me. Areas like the swamps really tested me as I too was not a fan of harder games but my love for this game as well the risk-reward kept me trying and trying. When I returned to the store I said the employee that I was playing this game (he was a great guy) and he asked me if I had the Demon's Souls Artbook. I said I didn't so he went to through some digging and gave me the Artbook + Soundtrack. One year later after having Demon's Souls (you can put in here my backlog of other games played & finished) I completed this game. It was my most rewarding experience and my most challenging game I played in recent times.

Dark Souls: The first moment I heard about this game I knew I had to get this Day One. My first thought was: "Why I'm I so hyped for this game, the first one gave me so much trouble!" but deep inside I knew this game was going to be a unique experience. I Pre-ordered the Limited edition for my PS3, also with the Soundtrack, and small digital guide. The wait game started. I tried to avoid everything because I wanted to experience everything like it was the first time but the the Dark Souls appeared... some people manage to get the game early and started streaming. I tried to remain strong but I couldn't I had to take a look. Later on there was a need to make a separate thread for streaming since discussing about the game became a hard task on the OT. The closest we got to the release date the bigger the hype was. I light a candle with my Demon's Souls Art book guide near it as if it was my Bonfire and shared with my GAFfers. A even more hyped GAFfer had this sword where he decided he was a good idea to imitate the gesture the soldier near the bonfire. He had a little cut in his hand because of this silly act. Yes. The hype was getting us all but the community in here was not only amazing but it was also very entertaining. When I finally got my PS3 Limited Edition I loved the game. I played and I played but yet, I found it harder. After around 40 hours I haven't finished the game and I never could. Later on I found myself without a PS3 and therefore I never finished Dark Souls. It was a shame but then I saw hope. During all these Steam sales and discounts, I was lucky to be offered one of those 75% OFF copies of Dark Souls for PC. I was extremely happy! This time the game looked better with a good frame rate and after many hours, starting over again and again I finished it! It felt so good. During all my play through I took some screenshots I was sharing on Steam to show my journey. It was amazing looking back and see them and I have great fun during all of it. I was also amazed to see how active the Community on PC was as well how kind in helping me facing the biggest demons.

Dark Souls II: At first I wanted to get this on the PS3. Part of me still want to (I would double dip) but I no longer have my PS3. Like some know, a friend of mine had his mother in the hospital and I wanted to help but I couldn't. So, in order to offer him some money so he could pay his medical bills I decided to sell my PS3. With that money I gave it to him. When he asked about my PS3 later on I lied and said "Meh, I didn't want to play with it any more and the PS4 is coming so..." He never knew what I did or why I truly sold the PS3. I already miss this console and I wish I still have one. Because I was in no conditions to buy another one, I sold 99% of my PS3 Games collection as well my 360. With that I got store credit that was going to end in February so I had to spend it or I would loose all the Store credit. I bought a PS4 for only 60€. You can't say no to that price. So now, here I am on hype train with my pre-order placed many months ago but this time for the PC with a unknown release date. My hype is big and this is going to be a great place to discuss this fine game, I truly hope this game delivers in game play but also in other areas such the soundtrack. I would love to get a PS3 to get back on the PS+ Backlog as well to also play this game but unfortunately due to my extreme budgeting this is no longer an option. Fortunately I can hope for a release date on PC and then I can finally play this game. I purchased not a single game during December, January and February (and March?) and I saved for this one because it will be my best investment when it comes to money/time spent/fun ration. Can't wait...! :')

Shinjica

As I said in another thread, i seriously doubt "double dipping" is as statistically relevant as some people on this forum seem to think.
Most people don't "double dip", they just stick to the first version they buy.

You're right about doble dip but console version are expensive compared to the PC one. aybe they're pushing people to buy the console one and after the release announce when it will come to PC

Feindflug

Just found out pyromancies require faith now. It goes something like this:

Sorcery - All Intelligence
Miracles - All Faith
Pyromancy - Major Intelligence, Minor Faith
Hexes - Major Faith, Minor Intelligence

I didn't want to invest in faith though. Not sure what do with my build now. Can I live without the fire spells?

Having Miracles and Dark Magic this time around sounds cool since I'm going high Strenth/Faith. :)

Sentenza

You're right about doble dip but console version are expensive compared to the PC one. aybe they're pushing people to buy the console one and after the release announce when it will come to PC
If you are trying to say that publishers would probably prefer if everyone buys the console version, I agree. Or at least to NOT wait for other versions down the line. That's more or less always the case.

I'm just pointing that there isn't "a big scheme to encourage double dipping", because double dipping is probably irrelevant, statistically speaking. I would be surprised to learn that more than 1% of customers buy more than one version of a game.

You guys should check your targets, there isn't a street date for these. I didn't buy it cause I want it on PC.

Kbge3ey.jpg

Zukuu

Banned
Why does europe launches 3 days later by default? I don't get it.

I can buy the US version without problem, but then I fear I face an empty server when I play on EU server 3 days prior to the regional launch.

Mutombo

You need some int for hexes. Not sure how much, though.

I'm very interested in them myself but I'm not sure how I'm going to make this work, since I like to play melee and we've got all these stats to worry about. I'm used to playing low HP jack of all trades builds though...

What are hexes?

Darkone

I haven't finished Dark Souls yet. I platinumed the hell out of Demon's and spent over 400 hours over various characters in that game. When Dark Souls came I didn't have the time and energy for such a dedication anymore. I didn't want 2h/week sessions either so I waited and waited and waited until this day. :|

I know what you mean, all my play time is 2 hours each day and it sucks, i want to seat and play for hours especially a game like this but sadly i can`t and not willing to wait for the right time because then i think i won`t play at all.

That is one of the main reasons i am waiting for the PC version, i wont have to wait for the TV to be free from family members and then get a chance to play it for a lousy 2 hours.

NZNova

The wait for the PC version is going to suck. I've been replaying the first game while I wait... just cleared Blighttown and Sen's Fortress... hurry up PC version!

Sentenza

The wait for the PC version is going to suck. I've been replaying the first game while I wait... just cleared Blighttown and Sen's Fortress... hurry up PC version!
You know... I could forgive them for the delay if at least they would update the first one to remove GFWL, in the meantime.

Prototype

Not sure how I feel about equipment load being a separate stat from endurance. So now to carry heavier armor while having lots of hitpoints and endurance, that's 3 stats to raise.

Ya, this is an interesting choice. It's going to make people choose to go all in for heavier builds. It will also help curb the ubiquity of certain spells, like pyromancy in general or powerful Faith based spells (if DS is anything to go by)

NZNova

Let's face it, Endurance is just a really powerful stat in DS1. It gets you stamina and equipment load with a single point... that's why it's never a dumb idea to get more endurance. I guess they're trying to do a Blizzard and force players to make an "interesting choice". Will probably encourage build diversity and that's a good thing.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Nice OP

Is there a list of UK retailers that offer the Black Armour edition for pre-ordering? I'm seeing Amazon and Game from the Google search. Are there any more?

ShopTo also seem to have it. I would link, but it seems to be asterixed out when I attempt to do so.

Nice OT. It looks a bit sexier on the GAF black theme. Thought the tagline would be a bit wackier though, there were some good ones in the preview thread :)

I am seriously on blackout now - am going to play 100% offline for the whole of my first playthrough mainly because I want to discover everything for myself. PvP/co-op etc can wait for the dozens of successive playthroughs to come! So I expect by the time the game is out and I arrive back at the OT it will be on number 2 or 3. Maybe it will even be OT2 before the game is out?!

Fhtagn

What are the odds you'll get banned by playing the game online early? If I found one of those in the wild I would play offline only until the 11th, out of paranoia.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Pretty pathetic that there still isn't a release date for the PC version.

Ferr986

What are the odds you'll get banned by playing the game online early? If I found one of those in the wild I would play offline only until the 11th, out of paranoia.

DS2 have dedicated servers, so probably those are not yet enabled and theres not online play.

A reviewer on reddit posted some info on the sword of the "fallen sunbro", including how to get it and stat requirements.

You get it by killing the knight sitting under a tree early in the game, as seen in many of the released videos.
The requirements are: 11 Strength, 10 Dex. It has C scalling in both and does lightning damage

Seems like a really good early weapon.

For me it's the Warrior as I prefer Melee combat and he is the cover star!

The problem I found with Dark Souls is that you do need some magic capabilities to get past some areas such as Smough and Ornstein!

Can't wait to get my ass wiped again. Shame that it'll never be the same like the first time any more. Struggled for months with Dark Souls until I started to get a hang of it. Then Demon's Souls ended up being almost a cakewalk for me (except a 2-3 small parts maybe). Beat most of the bosses immediately.

Will probably end up being the same in DS2. Still, looking forward to the drill and the world exploration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom