• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's more than simply Ambient Occlusion but the amount of depth it adds to the image cannot be stated enough. Maybe the console versions had their environment AO reduced or removed in areas due to performance. Other than that, I think the contrast has been toned down a bit..but everything else looks the same if not better imo.

For example:
SSAO is present in the game, but before there was also baked AO on the environments along with baked shadows which as you say, added a lot of depth to the image.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Hey, I ain't saying that schierke is a bad character.

Better than isidro or puck anyway.

Puck_greater-than_Guts.jpg

Garcia

Compared to the preview videos we've seen (which other people have noted as being playable on PS3s at shows). And yes, I think the textures and lighting are noticeably less impressive than DkS. Not that DkS looked perfect on consoles, mind - just that there seems to be a lack of ambient lighting in many areas.

Not all areas, either, which is what's weird. Right now I'm in a place with gorgeous god rays and sunset lighting everywhere. The areas I played through last night were flat, ugly, and dull. Inconsistency seems to be a theme.

That's truly shocking since we're speaking of a sequel that only 2 months ago looked gorgeous. Seems like it's a pretty inconsistent game visually speaking.

Just ran into my first hacker in the PC version of Dark Souls, hope they get VAC for the sequel some how. Every time I attacked he'd regain 60K health. Absurd, shit player too but I suppose that comes with cheating.

Grinchy

Banned
Who's Black Armor edition has shipped from Amazon?

I didn't buy from Amazon but if you're worried about it arriving on Tuesday, I wouldn't be. It seems like whenever I do release date delivery through them, they finally ship it the day before and it arrives right on time. And I freak out every time thinking it won't come.

Robot Pants

I didn't buy from Amazon but if you're worried about it arriving on Tuesday, I wouldn't be. It seems like whenever I do release date delivery through them, they finally ship it the day before and it arrives right on time. And I freak out every time thinking it won't come.

Ok cool, cause yea Im worried haha. But I believe you :)

georly

Does anyone who has the game know how to aim first person w/ spells? Has that been cut? I can't do it for the life of me.

Oni3298

Who's Black Armor edition has shipped from Amazon?

I don't know if you have prime, which I do, but when I order games from Amazon they don't get shipped till late the night before or incredibly early the day of. It also depends on where your closest Amazon fulfillment center is.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Just ran into my first hacker in the PC version of Dark Souls, hope they get VAC for the sequel some how. Every time I attacked he'd regain 60K health. Absurd, shit player too but I suppose that comes with cheating.

I had my own work around for them. I would activate infinite health and find a way to kick em out of the stage or make em rage quit. My stats remained unaffected so all was good.

SSAO is present in the game, but before there was also baked AO on the environments along with baked shadows which as you say, added a lot of depth to the image.

Yep. I wonder just how much magic Durante will pull off with this one? If he's so inclined. :)

Judging by how it looks already, I can see it looking much better than DSfix'd Dark Souls...so long as it's as customizable as Dark Souls was.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Does anyone who has the game know how to aim first person w/ spells? Has that been cut? I can't do it for the life of me.

You could never do that.

You can aim with a bow first, exit the aiming view and then fire a spell in that direction.

Interestingly enough, the preview-style lighting is still present in some of the game's real time cutscenes. Relatively early on, there's a boss fight that begins with an in-engine cutscene with pretty good lighting and shadows and some atmospheric smog, but when the fighting actually begins all that stuff is gone. It's kind of jarring because it changes the color palette quite a bit.

I won't list the boss name because it's a bit spoilery, but it's not super far into the game.

I'm not surprised because I always thought the preview videos had looked surprisingly good but at the same time it's really kind of nasty that they've passed them all off as PS3 builds.

Grinchy

Banned
Interestingly enough, the preview-style lighting is still present in some of the game's real time cutscenes. Relatively early on, there's a boss fight that begins with an in-engine cutscene with pretty good lighting and shadows and some atmospheric smog, but when the fighting actually begins all that stuff is gone. It's kind of jarring because it changes the color palette quite a bit.

I won't list the boss name because it's a bit spoilery, but it's not super far into the game.

Then it does make me feel like it was a last-minute change. And if I wanted to be incredibly optimistic, I would assume it's a bug that's getting fixed with a day 1 patch. I am not an optimistic man, though.

It's seems like the difference between high and low shaders on Counterstrike: GO. Gives the game a more flat pastel look.

Garcia

I'm not surprised because I always thought the preview videos had looked surprisingly good but at the same time it's really kind of nasty that they've passed them all off as PS3 builds.

Yes. Seems like they were just showcasing the PC version from the beginning.

neoemonk

If anything this makes the wait for the PC version a little easier. Not much, but a little.

Zaventem

Then it does make me feel like it was a last-minute change. And if I wanted to be incredibly optimistic, I would assume it's a bug that's getting fixed with a day 1 patch. I am not an optimistic man, though.

I don't think it's a bug i think they actually want the frame rate to not drop in the single digits like the original. Framerate problems were in the demo demo experience. I know the game looked better before but that was only a singular part of the game.

I don't mind the spoilers. PM please.

Yes. Seems like they were just showcasing the PC version from the beginning.
Judging by videos of the Network test, it had the same good SSAO and baked lighting from the reveal and trade show demos. Performance wasn't the best though.

Afrodium

Banned
I have to wonder if the people complaining about the frame rate on consoles spent most of their time with Dark Souls on the PC with Durante's mod. It's times like these that I'm glad I can't really tell if a game is running sub-30fps (except in instances like Blighttown, yuck).

It sucks that the game doesn't look like what was shown off, but Souls games have never been pretty so I can live with it. The talk of uninspired art direction and enemy encounters do worry me though...

Zaventem

Also the network test had better lighting compared to the final build in those areas but that dropped in framerate constantly so this isn't some con man trick. I think they scaled back on purpose. I Expect it to look great on PC, a shame they couldn't deliver on the original thing shown but it's still looks good.

Losing strength with every passing hour. Fucking friday, fucking europe.

Went and looked up the character select theme on youtube. I am impressed.

Does anyone have the soundtrack disk that comes with Black Armor edition already? Are the song titles spoilery? I don't think I can resist listening once I have the disk in my hands.

Okay, here's the most important question - are you having fun? Because technical issues aside, the fun factor is what's most important.

Does anyone have the soundtrack disk that comes with Black Armor edition already? Are the song titles spoilery? I don't think I can resist listening once I have the disk in my hands.

Is the soundtrack an actual disc? I was assuming it was just a digital OST like most cases, but if it's a physical disc, that's even better.

FrankWza

Is this looking like a ps4/xb1 definitive edition release like TR? I saw something where they said the game was built with next gen in mind.

Grinchy

Banned
Even if there is a PS4 version, I feel like it is many months away and I'm not even going to pretend that I can wait that long.

So it seems the last few pages have been about this lighting issue. I can see why people are concerned about it.

But someone mentioned that From apparently released a patch that added shadows to objects or something in Demon's Souls so perhaps it's possible they didn't finish optimizing in time and are planning on patching in the lighting later on? That's just pure speculation though.

I'm slightly disappointed that the game won't look as good as it has in preview videos but I don't think it's going to affect my enjoyment of the game itself.

Lame as hell that Amazon Canada is expecting to have my copy delivered March 19th at the earliest...is it because I preordered late, or does Amazon Canada just suck like that?

Edit: Oh yeah, I chose standard shipping... Oh well :'(

You know people really like graphics here on NeoGaf. So much so that I wonder how old everyone really is because they complain so much. Heaven forbid you people grew up in the 80s or 90s. Your eyes might have melted and your head exploded.

You know people really like graphics here on NeoGaf. So much so that I wonder how old everyone really is because they complain so much. Heaven forbid you people grew up in the 80s or 90s. Your eyes might have melted and your head exploded.

People who have the game are noting that the game doesn't look like how it was being presented by FROM pre-release. But hey, sure, actually we're all just 10!

RK9039

What's wrong with liking graphics?

Oni3298

I haven't seen a single person crucify the game or dismiss it or anything. So what, we can't make observations and criticisms now?

Without being able to play the game, that is like the only thing we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom