• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is ... big.

Asking this now, people who seen the streams or played the game. Does the game really look that bad?
The game looks more jaggy & looks to have much cheaper looking textures than the previous Soul games

Probably not a spoiler since starting stats are in the OP, but here's a Google Doc someone on Reddit made with the starting stats and gear(no stats for gear) for each class: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Q2cDhkZzZDdmFJZ05USFRuTVE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

May not be 100% accurate since one of the Swordsman's starting weapons is different from the original description
Swordsman
A swordsman with honed skills. Fights skillfully with weapons equipped in each hand. Equipped with an upgraded Scimitar and Longsword from the start.

ironcreed

Banned
A little disappointing, but Dark Souls didnt have the best framerate either, and it didnt bother me that much.

Kevin VanOrd over at Gamespot said that there was nothing as bad as Blight Town when he was showing off the PS3 version a few days ago. It looked great as well.

Mik317

I am probably going to ask for this for my birthday... Or buy it with whatever birthday money I get.

However I passed on the previous two games due to lack of time and the fact that hard games have never been my thing.

But I do want to give it a fair chance.

Is there any how to dark souls for dummies guides or videos out there?

Oni3298

I am probably going to ask for this for my birthday... Or buy it with whatever birthday money I get.

However I passed on the previous two games due to lack of time and the fact that hard games have never been my thing.

Don't need one. Just play the game and learn from your mistakes. :D

SJRB

Gold Member

Game has a solid tutorial area to learn the basics of combat and movement. As for the rest, you're just going to have to find out for yourself.

Toxi

Banned

While some of these don't apply to Dark Souls 2 (Like how Vitality is now Vigor and equipment load is Vitality), a lot of them are still accurate.
20_Tips_for_Beginners.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
This thread is ... big.

Asking this now, people who seen the streams or played the game. Does the game really look that bad?
The game looks more jaggy & looks to have much cheaper looking textures than the previous Soul games

No, it looks quite good. Vastly improved animations, new cloth physics, and teh environments mostly look better now.

oroboros

A Dark Souls for Dummies would basically destroy what the game is. You should just jump in, and figure stuff out, and die, and die, and learn from your mistakes. Slowly learn the mechanics and piece together the gameplay puzzle. Then you eventually overcome the difficulties and slowly master the game. Then become enlightened. That's like the whole essence of the games, don't ruin them with guides. Umbasa

JambiBum

There's a stream going on right now on ustream for anyone interested. It's in the middle of a boss fight right now. I'm on my phone so I can't link

Toxi

Banned
Dark 1, aside from Blight Town, had a rock solid framerate aside from backstabs and ripostes.
For me, the frame-rate becomes choppy in the Parish and Catacombs when smaller enemies swarm you. The Centipede Demon murders the frame-rate, although it's hard to tell when the camera's stuck in its chest.

oroboros

Dark 1, aside from Blight Town, had a rock solid framerate aside from backstabs and ripostes.

Are you talking about consoles? Because no it did not. It was something I got used to and didn't bother me very much, but it's framerate was not "rock solid" anywhere at all through the entire game on console.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know if it's just PS3, but this game really runs poorly.

I saw the rest of your posts about the framerate, but I'm still wondering about screen tearing. Are you seeing any of it in the PS3 version? The streams I saw of the 360 version were tearing all over the place.

If you didn't notice the framerate hit even at the Firelink Shrine, you may just not easily notice framerate drops. The whole game was far from a rock solid 30.

Fhtagn

See, you saying shit like that worries me. Is it a nuisance, or do technical issues make the game downright unplayable.

As of yet, I have only seen people who have actually played the game weighing in to say while it's inconsistent, nothing like frame rate drops in Blighttown happens.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm not going to lie. I was pretty upset when I checked GAF on my phone to morning the OP went up and I couldn't read anything.

I'm always surprised by the way people behave online, although I guess I shouldn't be by now. Sorry to hear that you're dealing with that dumb shit.

Mobile Friendly Version can be read now. You can find the link on the links tab sir.

I saw the rest of your posts about the framerate, but I'm still wondering about screen tearing. Are you seeing any of it in the PS3 version? The streams I saw of the 360 version were tearing all over the place.

I've actually not noticed any tearing on PS3.

See, you saying shit like that worries me. Is it a nuisance, or do technical issues make the game downright unplayable.

There have been a few situations where I've felt as if the framerate has negatively impacted combat, mostly in open areas with lots of enemies all mobbing the player. It's also made some of the platforming run/jump areas kind of a pain, but I've always sucked at those so who knows.

The framerate takes the biggest hit whenever there are dynamic lights/shadows and DOF effects, like (early location)
Majula
. Luckily, these aren't usually combay heavy areas.

Overall the game just doesn't look great. The toned down lighting would be forgivable if the game ran at a solid clip on PS3 but it really doesn't.

This thread is ... big.

There are a few good looking spots in the game but for the most part yes, it looks that bad. Couple that with this:

Open areas or anywhere with prominent DOF/lighting effects dip quite a bit. The game really only feels like a solid 30 in tunnels and indoor areas without lights.

Compared to what though, DkS1?

Compared to the preview videos we've seen (which other people have noted as being playable on PS3s at shows). And yes, I think the textures and lighting are noticeably less impressive than DkS. Not that DkS looked perfect on consoles, mind - just that there seems to be a lack of ambient lighting in many areas.

Not all areas, either, which is what's weird. Right now I'm in a place with gorgeous god rays and sunset lighting everywhere. The areas I played through last night were flat, ugly, and dull. Inconsistency seems to be a theme.

vilmer_

The areas I played through last night were flat, ugly, and dull. Inconsistency seems to be a theme.

I've been dipping in and out of the stream the past couple nights and I can totally agree with the dullness part. There are a few locations that feel like empty square rooms with no substance at all. Even one huge section of a major area.

Is this purely due to low-res textures (i.e: something that will be fixed with the pc version) or is the overall art style lacking compared to the DS1?
The major problem is the lighting, anywhere that's not lit directly by sunlight or bonfires tends to look bad and/or flat. They designed the game with better technology in place but at some point for some reason they ditched and that led to a lot of areas looking unpolished.

My friend brought home a copy of the game (he works at a popular electronics store) and I went over to play it a bit. It looked pretty good to me. It looked far better than the original game on console. I wouldn't compare it to the PC Version with DSFix but it wasn't bad at all. The frame rate wasn't locked and felt inconsistent, at times it was sub 30 and other times it felt like it was hitting 60fps. I didn't see many jaggies either but then again I was playing on a 60" TV at a pretty far distance.

The major problem is the lighting, anywhere that's not lit directly by sunlight tends to look bad and/or flat. They designed the game with better technology in place but at some point for some reason they ditched and that led to a lot of areas looking unpolished.

I know it's more than simply Ambient Occlusion but the amount of depth it adds to the image cannot be stated enough. Maybe the console versions had their environment AO reduced or removed in areas due to performance. Other than that, I think the contrast has been toned down a bit..but everything else looks the same if not better imo.

For example:

I know it's more than simply Ambient Occlusion but the amount of depth it adds to the image cannot be stated enough. Maybe the console versions had their environment AO reduced or removed in areas due to performance. Other than that, I think the contrast has been toned down a bit..but everything else looks the same if not better imo.

For example:

DkS2 actually does appear to have AO on PS3, but it doesn't add much. I could be wrong but a lot of walls/grass/items on the floor seem to have a fairly basic AO solution or approximation.

Mannnnn. I dont want to get the Collector's Edition, but it's so tempting.

I think I'll wait until the next gen entry hits. I just want that cloth map and artbook. hnggghhhhh

Mannnnn. I dont want to get the Collector's Edition, but it's so tempting.

I think I'll wait until the next gen entry hits. I just want that cloth map and artbook. hnggghhhhh

It came out to around 133 with tax so I will surely regret it but oh well, wanted one to match the other two. Looking forward to Tuesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom