• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news, I'm currently fighting a boss in an area that does have really good lighting from a distant sunset, so... I have no idea what the deal is, really. Only scenes with fires and the sun seem to have noticeable dynamic lights; everywhere else is flat and lifeless.

-MD-

What's wrong with liking graphics?

This doesn't have anything to do with this particular discussion because as far as DS2 goes, people are upset that the game was presented as looking much better than the final product.

However, to answer your question, I have a friend that will not play a game unless it's a fully 3D, big budget game with great graphics.

He won't even entertain the idea of an indie game because of how "bad" they look. There's a point where graphics become a problem for people and they get too focused on something that should take a backseat to gameplay and art style.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This is a case where it's more than fair to call bullshit on a visual issue, because FROM and Bamco have been posting videos of the console version right up until a couple of weeks ago that do not look like the release build of the game.

As Xander has noted there's even a stark difference between real-time cut scenes and the moment the player regains control. It's all a bit dirty and disrespectful towards a /very/ hardcore fan base. I can admit that and I'm god damn excited to play the game.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Don't care much about graphics, but I do care that the new lighting and shit has been one of the #1 PR points for the game for months on end, then they (allegedly) yoink that away at the last second. Pretty sleazy if there's anything to it.

Deadstar

Maybe my expectations are wrong but I expected Dark Souls 2 to look horrible. It's on the xbox and ps3, systems that came out over five years ago. This will not ruin the experience for me. As long as the gameplay and art direction is there my body will always be ready. Then when the pc version comes out I will double dip, and when I pull out DS2 it's going to be covered in delicious hd graphics.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Maybe my expectations are wrong but I expected Dark Souls 2 to look horrible. It's on the xbox and ps3, systems that came out over five years ago. This will not ruin the experience for me. As long as the gameplay and art direction is there my body will always be ready. Then when the pc version comes out I will double dip, and when I pull out DS2 it's going to be covered in delicious hd graphics.

8-9 years ago to be correct.

In other news, I'm currently fighting a boss in an area that does have really good lighting from a distant sunset, so... I have no idea what the deal is, really. Only scenes with fires and the sun seem to have noticeable dynamic lights; everywhere else is flat and lifeless.

Maybe they wanted to aim for the lifeless feeling to make light more impactful?

pupcoffee

I get the feeling this is not what the devs wanted to happen... Bandai Namco may have pushed them to release the game when it needed a delay? (speculating)

Please, someone tell me if there is an anti-ganking covenant, or item?

Two guys set a trap via red stone summon in Oolacile Township. Was dragon (yay for no armor, expecting an honest fight). I ran all the way down to Manus and waited for death for a couple of minutes. Then, a darkmoon player walked into same trap. Oh, the feeling of rushing to someone's aid. We all met up in the dungeon. Tried my damnedest to win: humanity, hornet ring, backstab + obsidian blade R2. The summoned bastard just wouldn't die. Then the darkmoon player fell. Tried to do the same thing with the ball n' chain enemy.

No dice.
Die.
'Well, what is it'? emote from the summoned player.

Feels terrible.

Styles

Dark Souls II OT: Lighting Returns

PC Release OT Name change perhaps

isL0lvzIphF2R.gif

Man really wish I looked into midnight launches for this game. The wait for Amazon to get it here is gonna kill me.

Regardless of the class i start with the first thing im gonna do is take off all my gear and roll my way trough the game.

krakov

Please, someone tell me if there is an anti-ganking covenant, or item?

Two guys set a trap via red stone summon in Oolacile Township. Was dragon (yay for no armor, expecting an honest fight). I ran all the way down to Manus and waited for death for a couple of minutes. Then, a darkmoon player walked into same trap. Oh, the feeling of rushing to someone's aid. We all met up in the dungeon. Tried my damnedest to win: humanity, hornet ring, backstab + obsidian blade R2. The summoned bastard just wouldn't die. Then the darkmoon player fell. Tried to do the same thing with the ball n' chain enemy.

No dice.
Die.
'Well, what is it'? emote from the summoned player.

Feels terrible.

How do you propose this covenant/item should work?

pupcoffee

Guys, if the dynamic lighting/good shaders are still running in the real-time boss intros, could that imply the dynamic lighting system is still right there on-disc but is just locked off during gameplay? Maybe it actually is relatively easy to bring back, at least for PC?

Lucent

Man. Just a few more days.

The lighting downgrade is kind of disappointing, but I'm sure it'll still be great.

And, in celebration of a new Dark Souls, I have changed my avatar, as well as a few friend's avatars, to Dark Souls style.

BOOM! Prepared to praise the sun!

I draw stupid comics about me and my friends in MS Paint. It's not my best but I've come to like this style.

Never played Dark Souls and only played Demon Souls for about an hour yet I have this pre ordered for some reason. Am I gonna be overwhelmed or can I just jump right in?

How do you propose this covenant/item should work?

Do you mean fighting players with severely better gear than you? Because there's a mechanic in place to balance that to an extent.

Maybe not actually a covenant, but an item that's like a consumable reverse darkwraith/darkmoon covenant stone. Hide, use the stone to call for help, but only if the game detects that you are outnumbered. Doesn't matter if you are invited, or are invading. The game finds a random player's game, and asks if they would like to help you out. They could refuse, so as not to loose progress. For accepting, they get a reward, like double/triple souls, or a chunk/slab for helping you out. If they die, they hollow, and have to go collect their souls/held humanity. This would balance out the host's summon dieing, staying human and keeping their souls. A special version of this item can search for a buddy, but has a way faster time limit than the host's summon.

Gorillaz

Never played Dark Souls and only played Demon Souls for about an hour yet I have this pre ordered for some reason. Am I gonna be overwhelmed or can I just jump right in?

I would at least try to get a taste of DS1 just so you can have a general grasp of the series, especially after how much things changed in DS1 from DeS

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe not actually a covenant, but an item that's like a consumable reverse darkwraith/darkmoon covenant stone. Hide, use the stone to call for help, but only if the game detects that you are outnumbered. Doesn't matter if you are invited, or are invading. The game finds a random player's game, and asks if they would like to help you out. They could refuse, so as not to loose progress. For accepting, they get a reward, like double/triple souls, or a chunk/slab for helping you out. If they die, they stay human, but have to go collect their souls/held humanity.
There is a covenant that
automatically summons blue phantoms to help you whenever you get invaded by a red phantom. The blue phantoms need to be in the same covenant and wearing a specific ring that basically puts them on standby for that purpose.

As for low level invaders who run through the game for powerful equipment,
invasion is based not only on soul level but also total souls obtained so far in the game, so even if their soul level is low they won't be able to invade someone at the start of the game if they've already run to the end of the game for equipment

If you got the basics of the combat with DeSo, you should be fine. The nuances of bonfires, health management, invasions etc should become clear reasonably early, though you may have to die a few times before figuring it out

And the community is always here to help :)

There is a covenant that
automatically summons blue phantoms to help you whenever you get invaded by a red phantom. The blue phantoms need to be in the same covenant and wearing a specific ring that basically puts them on standby for that purpose.

As for low level invaders who run through the game for powerful equipment,
invasion is based not only on soul level but also total souls obtained so far in the game, so even if their soul level is low they won't be able to invade someone at the start of the game if they've already run to the end of the game for equipment

I suppose that's alright. Doesn't help with host/summon ganking, but to be fair, invaders already lose nothing upon death...

nothing except their pride ;(

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie

this game seems to be by far the most accessible out of all of the souls games and a perfect place/time to jump in on the ground floor with everyone else. Don't listen to these crazy people.

krakov

Maybe not actually a covenant, but an item that's like a consumable reverse darkwraith/darkmoon covenant stone. Hide, use the stone to call for help, but only if the game detects that you are outnumbered. Doesn't matter if you are invited, or are invading. The game finds a random player's game, and asks if they would like to help you out. They could refuse, so as not to loose progress. For accepting, they get a reward, like double/triple souls, or a chunk/slab for helping you out. If they die, they hollow, and have to go collect their souls/held humanity. This would balance out the host's summon dieing, staying human and keeping their souls. A special version of this item can search for a buddy, but has a way faster time limit than the host's summon.

Sounds a bit convoluted but it's a decent idea. Would be pretty funny if invaders could summon help also.

ElFly

PRAISE THE SUN

KarmaCow

The former

So is it viable to travel around without warping?

I'm really curious how they balanced the game with warping being available at the start. It's not just a matter of designing the world so that it's possible to avoid using it but just the ability to escape changes so much. Going to Blighttown and using the bonfire at the beginning is quite an experience because then you're pretty much stuck down there. But then if you have the Master Key in other playthroughs, you can skip it entirely with how the world is designed.

-Ryn

Banned
So who else is going with Swordsman? I've been set on dual wielding since it was announced. Not to mention that longcoat. So fine.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So is it viable to travel around without warping?
I wouldn't call it so much "viable" as "possible". It's nowhere near as convenient as DkS due to the sheer amount of content in the game unless you are willing to add many hours to your playtime and walk very long distances. Also leveling up
is only possible via a maiden in black type npc at the hub so you have to return often.

Planning on being a Deprived like I did in the first game but if I redeem that pre-order slip will I automatically start with an armory? Would kind of ruin the appeal of going from rags to riches so to speak.

Also, how big is the game going by the streams? Lot of smaller areas or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom