• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.O.P

Banned
Just hope to see some kind of anti-cheat system for the online

IDGAF about what you do in your game, but don't try to pull these bullshit and then invade

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard that from the network test version people parsed a line in the code that read something along the lines of "you have been banned from the server for hacking". I sincerely hope this is true and From stays on top of things.

ldcommando

Banned
Could this be real??

If you burn a bonfire ascetic it at the bonfire closest to a boss after you kill the boss
HE GETS REVIVED in the next playthrough difficulty
(ie: If you revive him in NG, you fight his NG+, if you revive him a second time in NG, you fight his NG++ difficulty)
Also, they drop souls every kill, you can even get the NG++ exclusive souls if you kill them through revival

It is true. I saw it being done on a stream.

Riposte

What are the people, such editors or streamers, down on the game trying to say exactly? I can't derive what the problem is. Are they frustrated? Bored?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
It is true. I saw it being done on a stream.

7aY7VH2.gif

I've seen a few posts mention it, sans details, but is it really the case that enemies don't respawn when you use bonfires/rest, or that they are finite? If so, how many respawns per enemy, or does it vary?

I can see its value in diminishing farming souls and thus compromising difficulty, and yet also means the fear of venturing through even completed zones will essentially be nil.

Ellite25

What are the people, such editors or streamers, down on the game trying to say exactly? I can't derive what the problem is. Are they frustrated? Bored?
I've mainly heard people complain about the downgrade graphically. Some have said the areas in the game are bland, some have claimed that assets are being reused. Other than that I haven't really heard anyone complain about the actual gameplay. There have also been impressions in this thread that have been super positive.

ldcommando

Banned
I've seen a few posts mention it, sans details, but is it really the case that enemies don't respawn when you use bonfires/rest, or that they are finite? If so, how many respawns per enemy, or does it vary?

I can see its value in diminishing farming souls and thus compromising difficulty, and yet also means the fear of venturing through even completed zones will essentially be nil.
They do respawn. No idea on the number of limited respawns if any.

Riposte

I've mainly heard people complain about the downgrade graphically. Some have said the areas in the game are bland, some have claimed that assets are being reused. Other than that I haven't really heard anyone complain about the actual gameplay. There have also been impressions in this thread that have been super positive.

Is that what F0rneus is talking about? I'm not entering the spoiler thread.

Sylas

I'm 100% assuming that the cheaters are on X360 or using CFW on PS3 that'll prevent them from getting online.

Even if I'm wrong, I really doubt I'll run into a cheater due to the souls collected PVP thing. If I do! I'll just leap off a cliff or something when I get invaded by an obvious cheater. Easy solution.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Last boss I beat: very first insance of rage. This game does not mess around. Some bosses do insane damage in 1 hit, be warned

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So I just finished DS1 as a pure caster and holy hell...it was like playing on Very Easy mode. Will skip spells in DSII for a while hahaha. Hopefully they nerfed the magic classes.

oroboros

I'm 100% assuming that the cheaters are on X360 or using CFW on PS3 that'll prevent them from getting online.

Even if I'm wrong, I really doubt I'll run into a cheater due to the souls collected PVP thing. If I do! I'll just leap off a cliff or something when I get invaded by an obvious cheater. Easy solution.

Better solution is to find Wrath of God and just stand near that cliff and blast the cheating scum bastards off to their own doom.

ryanyhc

Neo Member
Tomorrow @ midnight marks the beginning of my Souls work out. 10 push-ups every death, 25 push-ups every boss kill. If it's anywhere near as hard as DeS and DaS were, I'm going to be feeling it at work on Thursday.

Tomorrow @ midnight marks the beginning of my Souls work out. 10 push-ups every death, 25 push-ups every boss kill. If it's anywhere near as hard as DeS and DaS were, I'm going to be feeling it at work on Thursday.

How will you be able to play when you can't life your arms?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Is that what F0rneus is talking about? I'm not entering the spoiler thread.

Some bosses while different looking have movesets from DaSo and DeSo bosses. The environments some are more simplistic on terms of designs than others and the lighting system looks better in some places than others which makes em look flat. At least thats what I gathered.

Zukuu

Banned
So, alrady did some math about the best Spear build (moveset and reach not included). Most damage does a weapon you wouldn't consider it to be with ~379. My initial feeling about the best Spear holds true scoring the 2nd most (non-split) damage. Hope the move set holds up as well. With 16/40 it gives ~354 damage. Assuming my calculation formula is correct (which it prolly isn't).

Also, googling Silver Knight Spear yields my SKS love topic as 3rd option in the search. xD Sadly, no one comes close to it this time around.

Riposte

Some bosses while different looking have movesets from DaSo and DeSo bosses. The environments some are more simplistic on terms of designs than others and the lighting system looks better in some places than others which makes em look flat. At least thats what I gathered.

art design or level design (i.e., encounter layouts)?

oroboros

That's a pretty cool idea. I honestly might do this. Since it's finally starting to warm up here I was going to get back into a regular exercise routine and this method could get me in the groove again after some winter slump. Probably mix it up with like squats, crunches, jumping jacks, dips, burpees, whatever, and not all just push-ups though, you could blow out a damn muscle doing just that one exercise every death. Probably be fucking ripped by April if this game kills me as much as the first 2 Souls titles haha.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
art design or level design (i.e., encounter layouts)?

From a design PoV, I am in absolute love with the bosses I have seen. They are incredible. I have no idea how anyone can call them uninspired but that's opinion. The arenas aren't as varied as DS1 sure, but the bosses themselves are incredible.

Seance

Banned
So I just finished DS1 as a pure caster and holy hell...it was like playing on Very Easy mode. Will skip spells in DSII for a while hahaha. Hopefully they nerfed the magic classes.

Awesome. Cant wait. Did you use
Affinity, Dark Hail, Dark weapon, Soul Geyser, Soul Spear Barrage, Soul Vortex, Numbness, Climax, Shockwave, Soulbolt, yearn
?

How were they?

Toxi

Banned
The idea of bosses with reused movesets from Dark Souls... Hrm. Depends on the context, but the only bosses I wouldn't mind seeing again are Ornstein or Smough as standalones near the beginning of the game, since we didn't really get the chance to fight them alone without their power-ups.

EDIT: I don't actually know what bosses are in the final product; I have not seen the stream. I was speaking hypothetically.

Jobbs

Banned
More like months ;)

Why anyone does this,I don't understand. There are many games I don't care for or don't like. Guess what I don't do? Sit around in the threads blasting them. I don't spend a second thinking about them.

Anyway, in the spirit of the fact that I'll probably be double dipping on PS3 (if it goes up on PSN store early enough in the day, I'll buy it digitally in addition to the CE I'm waiting on) I'm probably going to double dip on my character, too.

Gonna start a bandit first time.

banditfemale.gif

And not long later I'll start a cleric.
cleric.gif

Why? Absolutely no one knows. I'll just mess around for the first few hours in each and decide what sort of playstyle I want.

Fhtagn

The idea of bosses with reused movesets from Dark Souls... Hrm. Depends on the context, but the only bosses I wouldn't mind seeing again are Ornstein or Smough as standalones near the beginning of the game, since we didn't really get the chance to fight them alone without their power-ups.

If there are more bosses overall, I certainly don't mind a few remix bosses. Fighting an O or S style boss solo would be a fun early fight.

oroboros

Anything as good as the Maiden Astraea boss fight?!

I fucking hope, that's the one song I always think about from Souls games. Just walking up and hearing that and seeing all the
worshipers
and the mood of that environment was so amazing that I just stood there and watched and listened for quite awhile. Having played through both Demon's and Dark again the last few weeks leading up to Dark 2, I honestly think I like Demon's better for the overall atmosphere, mood, and locations even though it was more linear or whatever.

EDIT: Oh yeah the God damn Phalanx music was amazing for a first boss encounter ever in the Souls series. So many feels from those tunes.

krakov

I have to disagree. Having just been there not two hours ago, I can assure you that the path I mentioned is quicker and has less encounters than going from the Dungeon Bonfire.

Ok, so as long as a shortcut saves <5 seconds and has 1 less enemy encounter it's a good example of why shortcuts are necessary? Take this as a rhetorical question, I'm out.

Fhtagn

But there are at least two important short cuts in the DLC, isn't that example enough? One to Artorias, the other just before a miniboss in front of the Abyss.

Toxi

Banned
I fucking hope, that's the one song I always think about from Souls games. Just walking up and hearing that and seeing all the
worshipers
and the mood of that environment was so amazing that I just stood there and watched and listened for quite awhile. Having played through both Demon's and Dark again the last few weeks leading up to Dark 2, I honestly think I like Demon's better for the overall atmosphere, mood, and locations even though it was more linear or whatever.
I love the Valley of Defilement. It gets a lot of hate, but it's really incredible how well-planned out the entire world is.
I think that mundane details that are often missed in townbuilding can be vital for giving the player more appreciation for the story and background. Let's compare two similar areas: Blighttown from Dark Souls, and the Valley of Defilement from Demon's Souls. Both have rickety wooden construction above a poisonous swamp, and both are home to deformed humanoids. Neither is a place you would ever want to live, but only one actually looks like a place people live in.

Blighttown is conspicuously missing an actual town. Do the blighted just sleep comfortably on rotting wood? Where are the roofs? Do they have any other activities besides attacking travelers? What is the water wheel even for?

Compare to the Valley of Defilement. In the upper section, there are plenty of distinct living quarters with roofs and hay piles for the depraved ones to sleep in. The remains of rats and horses and a few cooking fires show us what and how the people eat. In the fetid swamp, there are a few depraved ones forging on islands of debris, but the majority of them live in a large settlement held out of the water by stilts. There is a great wall to protect the town inhabitants from outsiders, with a marked path guarded by giant depraved ones leading to its one entrance. The settlement's location is important: It is atop a field of valuable Dark Moon Grass and is next to the plague lake where the people prey to their demonic saint, the Maiden Astrea.

See the difference? Where Blighttown feels like a transit zone with humanoid monsters, the Valley of Defilement feels like a living and breathing community. You are intruding upon the depraved ones' home and, in the last area, their most holy temple, so their hostility makes more sense and Maiden Astrea's kindness doesn't seem misplaced.

dreamfall

Not as good as that sadly :p but in my opinion i am liking Dark Souls 2 soundtrack more than Dark souls soundtrack!

That is exciting, good to hear!

Demon's Souls had such good boss music. Flamelurker and Tower Knight especially.

The only themes in Dark Souls I really loved were
Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
and Ornstein and Smough.

Ah, but I loved Sif's theme, Priscilla's fight and the Firelink Shrine! Some great tracks as well.

worshipers

EDIT: Oh yeah the God damn Phalanx music was amazing for a first boss encounter ever in the Souls series. So many feels from those tunes.

I'm with you. I liked Demon's as a more cohesive experience, even with the warping. Granted, I played Demon's after Dark but it just resonated more for me- though I love both games. The
Return to Slumber
track is so perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom