• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I remember JaseC mentioning a way to trick steam into pre-loading where you want it to, but it was a bit unintuitive.

For future reference:

You can pre-load to another drive by:

- Installing Link Shell Extension
- Moving the depotcache folder (located in the root of the Steam folder) to your desired drive
- Right-clicking on said folder and selecting "Pick link source"
- Navigating to the root of your Steam folder, right-clicking somewhere within the empty space, hovering over "Drop link as" and finally selecting "Symbolic link"

Do note, however, that since the pre-load data is unpacked before being moved to steamapps\common\[game directory] you'll need to ensure you have enough free space on the drive for both sets.

Somewhat OT; any more news regarding Namco Bandai removing GFWL from the first game (and possibly adding Steam achievements)?

Nothing yet.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
top seller on steam

boom

Lots of people to invade
ixCa4Y1NOrM1L.gif

Hypron

I cancelled my Zavvi preorder and bought the game on GMG instead (and pre-loaded it as well). I'll get it a week earlier and I'm saving a couple of dollars. I just won't get the physical edition but that's all right because I've got the black armour xbox 360 edition.

I'm ready to play the game again. 60 fps will be so good. It'll be my first time running a souls game at that framerate (DS1 was so badly optimised I couldn't even get a fully consistent 30 fps, regardless of the resolution it was rendering at).

Looks like I'll be spending Friday tweaking a lot, looking forward to it. Anyone have a rough estimation at how much improvement I could get out of a GTX 760 and i5-4670k?

Any of you folks know where I can get the game the cheapest if I live in Euroland ? GMG is selling it for 50€ atm (though there may be a coupon avalaible somewhere).

EDIT :
No problem on payment or region locking for that site ?

I got it there with no problems. (Paying from Ireland via PayPal) The key is already in my account!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Any of you folks know where I can get the game the cheapest if I live in Euroland ? GMG is selling it for 50€ atm (though there may be a coupon avalaible somewhere).
Use this coupon to bring it down to 37.5€ :
PPk5Wz5.png

Just used it a few minutes ago.

Game preordered for me, I'm READY for this.

TheTrain

From experience, I can tell you that Steam unlock times are strange.

Valve is in charge of manually unlocking them through the Steam Database. There have been too many misses and weird occurrences to believe that it is an automated system.

AMD control panel has AA options as well. Not sure to what extent though, that SGSSAA is something else.

aa_compare2.gif

That is the same time showing for me as well.

But the SSAA form the CCC will work, without any problem, with DS2? We'll see but ehi, i'm ready with 1440p downsampling in any case. D:

Durante

Still closed...Mmm...
LjKTjon.gif
If this was from DS2, 200 people would complain about the stone texture now (which is, in fact, worse than anything I've seen in DS2 PC so far in terms of texels/pixel).

Did you test it on a 16:9 monitor? Because if it stretches when rendering with the wrong aspect ratio that usually means it looks fine with the right aspect ratio.
I tested on a 16:9 monitor, but with pillarboxing.

This will be most likely the only time in my entire life I will ever learn how to make a game look good days before I can actually play it.

Vitor711

If this was from DS2, 200 people would complain about the stone texture now (which is, in fact, worse than anything I've seen in DS2 PC so far in terms of texels/pixel).

Haha, so true. Can't believe the hyperbole people are still throwing about, even with your article proving that it's a worthwhile port.

Can't wait for release this Friday. A part of me thinks I should finally go back to DS1 and get to the DLC area but, to be honest, I kind of lost interest after getting the Lord Vessel.

Must have been all those hours in DeS finally taking their toll. I hope the burnout isn't as severe come DS2.

doomquake

Woah.. the sweetfx looks really good..
*but the bottom example seems a bit too green for me..can't wait to color balance to my liking

Parsnip

I think I'm not going to touch SweetFX just yet. But better AO and AA are intriguing, but I guess we'll see if I can afford the performance.

Out of curiosity Durante, which SweetFX injector did you use? Boulotaur's has been the most stable for me in other games, but the new eFX one that Crosire is writing seems to be coming along nicely. I just wish it came along a bit faster. :p

Durante

Out of curiosity Durante, which SweetFX injector did you use?
I was using the default one with the 1.5 SweetFX distribution.

I'm generally not a huge fan of this kind of image processing injection, but I have to say that it really does improve the aesthetics in almost every area in Dark Souls 2 -- there's generally very little in the 0-10 brightness range in DS2 without postprocessing.

The biggest drawback IMHO is that it gets applied to the UI as well. Having glow/pseudo-"HDR" on your UI text and HuD is just silly.

Haunted

Looking at your tweak guide, I'll definitely use HBAO+, but I'm not certain if my PC will be able to handle SGSSAA.

Will have to see how good the IQ is at 1080p and FFAA+ on my Plasma.

I'm generally not a huge fan of this kind of image processing injection, but I have to say that it really does improve the aesthetics in almost every area in Dark Souls 2 -- there's generally very little in the 0-10 brightness range in DS2 without postprocessing.

The biggest drawback IMHO is that it gets applied to the UI as well. Having glow/pseudo-"HDR" on your UI text and HuD is just silly.
Are there any screenshots of that effect applied to the HUD? The ones in your guide are HUDless.

Arkanius

One thing from the old Dark Souls 2 thread, there was a theory that the game botched the colorspace in order to raise the brightness of the game, and it was noted in the blacks, well, were not really black (in both TV and RGB ranges)

Did you notice anything related to that with DS2 in the PC?

Durante

Are there any screenshots of that effect applied to the HUD? The ones in your guide are HUDless.
I don't think I took any. But it looks silly. Just imagine all the text with a glow effect and the visual UI elements blown out contrast-wise.

One thing from the old Dark Souls 2 thread, there was a theory that the game botched the colorspace in order to raise the brightness of the game, and it was noted in the blacks, well, were not really black (in both TV and RGB ranges)

I already posted in that thread, but no, this is clearly not the case. If they had truly messed up the color space, every single pixel in the game would fall into the 15-235 range. This isn't the case, at all.

It's just that in most regions the ambient light term is so large that very few, if any, color channels for any pixels drop below ~8. Of course, my SweetFX profile fixes that. (It's pretty extreme though, some might want to reduce it slightly if they think the resulting images are too contrasty)

Gattsu25

Banned

my understanding:
That was a mix up of posters confusing increased ambient lighting with a colorspace issue. The game still ran in full range color but the in-game ambient lighting was so aggressive in most areas that those posters thought that the washed out and brightened scenes were due to the image output.

Edit: What Durante just said.

Arkanius

I don't think I took any. But it looks silly. Just imagine all the text with a glow effect and the visual UI elements blown out contrast-wise.

I already posted in that thread, but no, this is clearly not the case. If they had truly messed up the color space, every single pixel in the game would fall into the 15-235 range. This isn't the case, at all.

It's just that in most regions the ambient light term is so large that very few, if any, color channels for any pixels drop below ~8. Of course, my SweetFX profile fixes that. (It's pretty extreme though, some might want to reduce it slightly if they think the resulting images are too contrasty)

Ah that makes sense.
It's too bad, the game really ends up with a very washed out look in many areas. I don't enjoy using SweetFX at all, I love playing the games the way they are meant to be played, with the artists vision, but I don't think the artists vision was preserved this time.

I wish someone would've quoted or echo this:

http://youtu.be/3Qj2BkF7jh4?t=2m10s

Fast forward to 2:12 and you'll see how some specular maps (or something) light up on the Mirror Knight's armor (now Looking Glass Knight) when he steps on a destroyed column...

I just would love to know if this bug can be replicated on PC and what could it mean (dunno, replicated that shiny in other armors? Make it standard? Who knows.) Guess by friday we may clear this one out.

Interesting stuff about the light too, what kind of black magic was applied in this game...

Looking forward for the third article too!

Shinjica

There is always the Blue Sentinels though.

That is correlated with red orb. They are rare so less people invade. With less people invade other worlds
Blue Sentinels
dont have any work so they are pointless.

Sorry but invasion was handled really bad in Dark Souls 2, the fact red orbs are rare to get in NG is the proof.
You cant have a large community without make compromise.

Parsnip

Sometimes when reading the SweetFx thread over at guru3d I get the feeling that some games require some kind of special build and a touch of black magic to get working, it's nice that this one just works with the default package.

http://youtu.be/3Qj2BkF7jh4?t=2m10s

Fast forward to 2:12 and you'll see how some specular maps (or something) light up on the Mirror Knight's armor (now Looking Glass Knight) when he steps on a destroyed column...
Weird thing is that the Mirror Knight fight doesn't even look that good on my PS3. There's some sort of toggle in the game where it turns off a lot of effects and filters (FXAA and motion blur for example) if it is under a certain framerate. And the Mirror Knight fight is always triggers that toggle.

Is the preload supposed to be around 8GB? I think Steam might have screwed it up somehow, it took me around half the time it was supposed to take to complete it given the download speed and the depotcache folder (which, as I read, should contain the preloaded games before they're released) is only some 3GB.

I'm kinda confused, what should I do?

edit: now it started downloading again, even though it said it was complete before, and it shows a 8.1/8.2 GB progress which is obviously bogus. Whatever, I'm rrestarting it.

Durante

Weird thing is that the Mirror Knight fight doesn't even look that good on my PS3. There's some sort of toggle in the game where it turns off a lot of effects and filters (FXAA and motion blur for example) if it is under a certain framerate. And the Mirror Knight fight is always triggers that toggle.
That feature is also there on PC -- I never managed to trigger it and you can turn it off though.

(By the way, I also implemented something like that in DSfix :p)

Garcia

Dark Souls 1 manages to balance out its rough edges really well though. During one playthrough you will find only 2 locations where the texture repetition proves to be truly distracting (transition from Duke's to Crystal Cave & tunnel leading to Ash Lake) while in DS2 you find those rough spots several times; whole locations are really ugly. All of my complaints with the original had to do with level design and gameplay; never did I shake my head in disapproval because of how ugly it could look (which happened to me a lot of times in the sequel).

Also, as it's been already stated: Different expectations originally set by the developers.

This is T-minus 54h.

Is the preload supposed to be around 8GB? I

Pre-load is 8.2 Gigs.

Gbraga

Based Durante, Father of the Abyss, just to make sure, your 1440p/locked 60fps reports were already with HBAO+? It looks really really good based on your article but if I have to let go of 60fps in order to have it, then in-game AO it is.

Durante

Performance is no problem with FXAA at 1440p and HBAO+.

The reason I am not using HBAO+ currently is because the UI bug is extremely annoying.

Durante

I honestly haven't really played all that much, with all the analysis/tweaking/writing I've been doing.

But what I played absolutely seemed like a worthy successor to DS1 (which is one of my favorite games of the past 5 years). I'll see which one I prefer after 200 hours, once my (Sun)Bros are in the game ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom