• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

Iron Keep seems the be the only place left for me to do stuff and Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that place after the second bonfire. Fucking turtle mans who I'm just a tiny bit away from being able to kill in 3 hits so I get hit by the big overhead. Fuck the fire room. Fuck the corridor.

Oh, and fuck the boss too.

edit : ^ haha

Wow the
Iron Keep
is a pain in the ass. That whole furnace section can get fucked. Thought I made it out of the worst of it, then got insta-gibbed by a fucking mimic.

Dammit.

Oh...and that BellTower approach bonfire is such a troll. "Trap? what do you mean tr.....oh I can't get out now. fuck[/spoiler]

Iron Keep seems the be the only place left for me to do stuff and Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that place after the second bonfire. Fucking turtle mans who I'm just a tiny bit away from being able to kill in 3 hits so I get hit by the big overhead. Fuck the fire room. Fuck the corridor.

Oh, and fuck the boss too.

I found a good strategy for the Ironclad (turtles) is to get right in their grill to draw the overhead attack and then immediately roll back for a dodge. You walk in for one swing hit as he winds up again and then roll back again. Rinse and repeat for an easy kill.

KarmaCow

Oh...and that BellTower
approach bonfire is such a troll. "Trap? what do you mean tr.....oh I can't get out now. fuck

If you have something to mitigate fall damage,
you can walk forward from the top where the entrance to Belfry Sol is and land outside the indent of the bonfire "trap".

I think a co-op player just sabotaged my chance of completing the Lucatiel questline. I had one more fight to win with her and it was at
black gulch
. The player stood by idly during the fight and let her take all the hits while I was shooting magic bolts in some vain attempt at saving her. As soon as she died he started attacking the
Rotten
with the what health it had left. I couldn't homeword bone to escape in time.

Am I fucked?

onionfrog

So I beat Freja, which wasn't too bad once I got used to the fight.

Just made it to the Gutter....
NOPE!
I'm done for tonight!
I found a good strategy for the Ironclad (turtles) is to get right in their grill to draw the overhead attack and then immediately roll back for a dodge. You walk in for one swing hit as he winds up again and then roll back again. Rinse and repeat for an easy kill.
This works wonders.
That whole area in Iron Keep was some damn nice level design. Smart stuff.

KarmaCow

I think a co-op player just sabotaged my chance of completing the Lucatiel questline. I had one more fight to win with her and it was at
black gulch
. The player stood by idly during the fight and let her take all the hits while I was shooting magic bolts in some vain attended of saving her. As soon as she died he started attacking the
Rotten

Am I fucked?

You can use
Bonfire Ascetic to revive the boss and try again, but it will have equivalent stats to the next playthrough level and so will any enemies in the area. This will carry over on each playthrough so it will permanently tougher compared to the rest of the areas. The number in the picture when warping indicates what level the area is due NG+ playthroughs or uses of Ascetics. You can even summon her for the same boss 3 times (using 2 ascetics to revive the boss each time) and have it count IIRC.

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with the Smelter Demon. Every time I'm doing well I get knocked back and wind up glitching into the wall, unable to move.

Booshka

What I do if the player doesn't just immediately rush me is chug all of my estus flasks right at the start of the match. It's likely the other player will end up doing so as well (in my experience they almost always do, surprisingly), and if they don't, you know they probably intend to estus in which case you know to unleash Lloyd's Talisman.

The good ol' Honor Chug, one of my favorite DkS2 streamers has a sub emote for it lol.

tuna_love

Banned
Some quick tips that I always keep in mind when I dual wield (which is more than 50% of the time):
  • You should always hit first, therefore, study every enemy pattern, find any openings and try to backstab as much as you can.
  • Try scaling up to power stance ASAP so you can start OHK'ing early. Never neglect upgrading your weapons. The faster you reach +10, the better.
  • When you're about to get surrounded by more than 2 enemies, run away or dodge until you can spread them out.
  • If you do get surrounded, never lock-on. If you do, you will leave a dangerous opening for enemies to exploit. It's much better to swing towards the direction of mobs when you're right in the middle of an ambush.
  • Dodging is your biggest ally during the game.

Also:

Curved sword parrying is so much easier than anything else, you can actually parry based on reaction and prediction.

For Dual Wielding, don't worry about powerstancing too much, it's usually best not to. Straight swords are amazing dual wield weapons, so try them out with other weapon types.

Other than that, R1 L1 R1 L1 R1 R1 will chain most players in an infinite stunlock with the right weapon setup, it's bordering on broken and OP at this point.
Cheers fellas.

2AdEPT

Man, having a lot of fun with my Vanquisher Seal fist only run! Despite being a little rusty on the early bosses the fists are pretty OP. I just did a session where I snagged a red sign just to try duking it out...some guy in smelter suit and a big ass sword appears....we both bow etc. and then he sees I am using fists only so he goes fists only as well....he started out beating me down a bit as I couldnt seem to get inside, nor break his poise and would get stunned when he hit me (will need more poise with this build)....but then I got behind him...I was down to 20% and he had 70%...then all of a sudden that combo and one more stunlocked him and I finished him off. I recorded it but it is not up yet.....feels pretty good and lots of troll opportunities to come me thinks......

First few vids are up and can be accessed here.

2AdEPT

Is there more than one twinblade type weapon?

yes there are at least three...one other one starts out a non twinblade moveset, but then if you modify it it does twinblade moves and more...wont spoil it as its an OP weapon...prolly do that build next playthrough.

maomaoIYP

Other than that, R1 L1 R1 L1 R1 R1 will chain most players in an infinite stunlock with the right weapon setup, it's bordering on broken and OP at this point.

The whole phantom range due to lag helps make this problem worse. Grand lance & caestus works too surprisingly.

NBtoaster

yes,
one is a tradable soul weapon.

There are five.

yes there are at least three...one other one starts out a non twinblade moveset, but then if you modify it it does twinblade moves and more...wont spoil it as its an OP weapon...prolly do that build next playthrough.

Nice. I like the one I have though the damge kind of sucks (though I know its good for bleed/poison).

black gulch
. The player stood by idly during the fight and let her take all the hits while I was shooting magic bolts in some vain attempt at saving her. As soon as she died he started attacking the
Rotten

Am I fucked?

She only needs to survive 3 of 4. Have you done the others yet? You can also Bonfire Ascetic a fight to try again. Lucatiel is a tank now for Smelter, so if you are ace at that fight, try that one again.

Ghazi

Zweihanders? Greatswords? Could you describe some STR weapons to do this?

What I do if the player doesn't just immediately rush me is chug all of my estus flasks right at the start of the match. It's likely the other player will end up doing so as well (in my experience they almost always do, surprisingly), and if they don't, you know they probably intend to estus in which case you know to unleash Lloyd's Talisman.

I do this as well as throwing out a Lloyd's Talisman at the start of a match, people don't seem to mind.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How much ATN do you need as a sorc for all 10 spell slots?

Mr Git

So, guys: Best location for soul farming?

I usually hang around D
ragon's
S
hrine
but I've been farming at I
ron
K
eep
and hooooly shit ain't it much faster than the former. Went up to 450K souls in an hour, wtf.

Best place I found is
the Memory of Jeigh: use an ascetic on the fourth bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants, rinse and repeat the Giant Lord. There's an ascetic in this memory so you'll effectively never run out. Should be around 250k a time.

Best place I found is
the Memory of Jeigh: use an ascetic on the fourth bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants, rinse and repeat the Giant Lord. There's an ascetic in this memory so you'll effectively never run out. Should be around 250k a time.

Maybe I just suck, but I always get hit with his sword swipe right under his legs. I would just get killed too much on that one.

Grief.exe

What are the requirements for the Pursuer being behind the door that requires the Soldier's Key in Forest of the Giants? (NG+)

Just beat The Last Giant and beat the Pursuer initially when he swooped down.

What are the requirements for the Pursuer being behind the door that requires the Soldier's Key in Forest of the Giants? (NG+)

Just beat The Last Giant and beat the Pursuer initially when he swooped down.

If you beat him early he doesn't spawn at the "boss" zone with the ballistas. You only get one attempt at the rooftop.

elfinke

You know, I play Australia region-zoned and I'm not getting any of these jerks online that ya'll are. Everyone's nice, even the guys who stab you while you're bowing (because I roll through them and backstab them)

Oh man, I totally forgot about that option! I set it to open-region during my play through in the hope it would mean endless co-op (well, I certainly had endless co-op) and then never set it back to region lock for PvP.

Too late now, I hit NG+ plus last night. Seems after levelling to SL140 and acquiring a bunch more SM, I seem to leave the easy mode PvP I was in and entered some clusterfuck of Havel armour wearing, estus chugging lagfest instead.

Will set it back to Australia-only region play tonight, see what's up.

Mr Git

Maybe I just suck, but I always get hit with his sword swipe right under his legs. I would just get killed too much on that one.

It is a difficult fight,
especially considering it's timed. You can summon Benhart to alleviate a bit of the aggro. It's also quite possible to kill him with archery/spells. Although particularly for archery it gets very difficult to do it in the limited time when you've used several ascetics.

Another area that's not bad for physical souls is
the Dragon Aerie. Contains three souls of a great hero, and is also rather excellent for upgrade materials.

Garcia

I was wondering about the effects of further leveling up FTH and found this info @ gamefaqs.

Faith:

Points of Faith:------------- | 1 | 10 | 20 | 30 | 40 | 50 | 60 | 70 | 80 | 90 | 99 |
Total Lightning Bonus:----| 50 | 57 | 80 | 102 | 140 | 155 | 162 | 170 | 185 | 192 | 200 |

So yeah, it's totally worth it. I spent 10 levels on faith alone earlier today and the damage bonus was noticeable. (went from 61 to 71 FTH). That jump from 70 to 80 looks brutal.

Best place I found is

Thanks. Another 250k spot to exploit. Excellent.

Booshka

Zweihanders? Greatswords? Could you describe some STR weapons to do this?

I do this as well as throwing out a Lloyd's Talisman at the start of a match, people don't seem to mind.

You cant really do it with big STR weapons, they drain too much stamina and recovery time is too long, it's more of a straight sword and katana/greatsword combo that will do this chain with enough stamina.

There are some big STR stunlock setups, but most of those require a rolling attack setup. You can chain straight sword and a lot of big weapons together, but it's pretty gimmicky, and forcing it will get you abused pretty hard by most players.

Edit: for Soul farming in
memory of Jeigh
put on Tseldora set and Covetous ring as well, you will get 400-500K per run depending on your NG+ cycle, which will eventually be NG+7 anyway. Ascetic at that bonfire also resets another
memory after Pursuer fight (Orro), which has Soul pickups and a Soul vessel as well
perfect farm for active PvP players looking to mess around with builds and keep buying Orbs.

lunlunqq

If you are dead set on farming him, consider re-specing to a hexer. He's pathetically weak against dark. A few shots of GRS will get him down in no time.

Gvaz

Banned
Now I feel bummed. I beat the game and the only thing I have to do is to go to NG+ and beyond, but I'm not interested in that.

I'm not interested in PVP either. I'm SL150 and I guess I can respec a few times and see what kind of other build i want, but...ive already beaten the game.

I guess I can just acetic endlessly, but, it's just not the same since i can just run around one shotting everything with a greatsword, and just beefing enemy damage/health and adding more of them in the same area isn't interesting.

I just wish that the game had shittons of invasions right from the get go that weren't gated and required you to be in NG+. The other issue with that is it made Way of Blue useless, and sentinels also worthless, on top of the fact I never once got invaded in 50 hours outside of pvp zones :|

The other issue, is that if everyone pvp's in NG+, then that means the only people who pvp are running min/max bro builds, and that's fucking boring as hell.

Ghazi

You cant really do it with big STR weapons, they drain too much stamina and recovery time is too long, it's more of a straight sword and katana/greatsword combo that will do this chain with enough stamina.

There are some big STR stunlock setups, but most of those require a rolling attack setup. You can chain straight sword and a lot of big weapons together, but it's pretty gimmicky, and forcing it will get you abused pretty hard by most players.

How are dual Washing Poles? Or Uchis?

Also, would you say power stancing with Zweihanders is worth it? I usually get 4 or 5 attacks off with a full bar (if I'm remembering correctly), I have a fairly large amount of stamina.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks for this! I didn't know he gave out so many souls. Totally worth it when there's a bonfire like 200m away from him.

To clarify,
it's 100k for the Old Iron King, but thankfully they also drop TWO boss souls, which you can just gobble up to get to that 200k

If you are dead set on farming him, consider re-specing to a hexer. He's pathetically weak against dark. A few shots of GRS will get him down in no time.

Well then, I am in luck because I am doing a Hexer run now. I just remember it taking way more attempts as melee than it should have.

I was using one posted from many days back and it seems to worked. What was wrong with it? I don't really want to go back and browse through all the pages to try to find it.

The problem that I get with SLI (2x GTX 780) is that on every profile I test I get huge performance drops in certain places (like from 60 to 24), like when I look down the well in Majula.

I don't see this performance drop unless I'm downsampling with GeDoSaTo (my monitor won't allow me to downsample through the nvidia control panel, so I can't test that avenue)

It's just too weird that it happens in those specific places, so I don't think it's a problem with GeDoSaTo. There's one SLI profile that does not result in the performance drop, but it breaks the lighting in Dark Souls, so I can't use it either.

Varna

I was using one posted from many days back and it seems to worked. What was wrong with it? I don't really want to go back and browse through all the pages to try to find it.

Strange performance drops.

The problem that I get with SLI (2x GTX 780) is that on every profile I test I get huge performance drops in certain places (like from 60 to 24), like when I look down the well in Majula.

I don't see this performance drop unless I'm downsampling with GeDoSaTo (my monitor won't allow me to downsample through the nvidia control panel, so I can't test that avenue)

It's just too weird that it happens in those specific places, so I don't think it's a problem with GeDoSaTo. There's one SLI profile that does not result in the performance drop, but it breaks the lighting in Dark Souls, so I can't use it either.

Pretty much this. I tested with and without GeDoSaTo and the weird drops were there regardless. I'm using a 690GTX.

This is a pretty big release right? Hopefully Nvidia gives a shit this time and we get a working profile.

Digby

Neo Member
I think I'm half way through... But I haven't beaten a single boss without summoning help. I'm going full Mage based on a reddit build and honestly it's impossible. I think im lvl 90 or so and tho i can use any spell/hex/miracle, bosses are still impossible alone. Everything one-hit-kills me. If there's ever a point where I can't summon shadows to help I think I'm gonna be fucked. I don't think I have the patience to start over either :(

Anyone else in the same situation?

Levyne

Banned
I think I'm half way through... But I haven't beaten a single boss without summoning help. I'm going full Mage based on a reddit build and honestly it's impossible. I think im lvl 90 or so and tho i can use any spell/hex/miracle, bosses are still impossible alone. Everything one-hit-kills me. If there's ever a point where I can't summon shadows to help I think I'm gonna be fucked. I don't think I have the patience to start over either :(

Anyone else in the same situation?

Eh, don't worry too much about it (not saying you are.) Summoning is in the game for a reason. I summoned probably more than I needed to too. It's fun to play with other people, even if it makes the game easy. On NG+ I took on more of the bosses alone.

Taruranto

Uh, I got the
King's RIng
, is it normal I didn't
even meet the queen
yet? I mean, I could see her and everything from a tower, but I couldn't get there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom