• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.O.R.D

I've been singing Air's praises for the better part of a year now. I really like the minimal look.

DvPPss0.jpg

how you manged to do like this ?

this is how it look on my pc , i tried to move the slider close enough , but it not look like you

Blinck

So..should I be able to get 60fps on a 670 GTX at 1080p with a bit of AA ? i7 @4.2 and 16GB ram, although I don't think this really matters.

Grief.exe

Sullichin

I haven't played for more than 2 hours since Saturday, though I've had the game running for ~6. So no.

What version / calibration number does it say for you on the title screen?
You can select resolutions higher than your monitor's native?
I can't

UnrealEck

After putting 80hrs into 360 ver, I am excited as hell for tomorrow. Why the hell am I excited for double dipping a game I have already beaten almost twice? Guess it's a decent game :)

I'm excited too and I put probably about the same into it too. I didn't finish it though but I did get right to the end.

xBladeM6x

I'm excited too and I put probably about the same into it too. I didn't finish it though but I did get right to the end.

People are excited for that 60 FPS, since it feels like a whole different game once you play it from 30 -> 60.

At least that's one major reason why I'm excited. :3

UnrealEck

People are excited for that 60 FPS, since it feels like a whole different game once you play it from 30 -> 60.

At least that's one major reason why I'm excited. :3

I wish I still had the PS3 version (I rented it). Just so I can play it a bit before booting up the PC version just for the insta feels.
Oh actually I'm forgetting it's a PC game. I can just cap the frame rate to 25 then change it to 60.

Looks like this will unlock between 8-9 AM on Friday morning here. That's good timing!

Interesting story,
I pulled the lever and talked to Navlaan shortly after and realized what I had done. I slayed his ass right then and there, afraid that it might cause a Yurt situation haha.

That's exactly what I did!

Sullichin

So, what is the community PVP level cap?

None. (I don't consider the below a spoiler but I'm being conservative)
Matchmaking is a function of soul memory (total # of souls collected regardless of whether you spend them, lose them or not), not your level. Much of the PVP happens in NG+ and beyond where the soul memory range is extended such that you won't have trouble finding people to play with.

So... there's literally no reason to cap yourself at a certain level for PVP this time. People have thrown around SL150 as the meta, but there's not an actual point to this like there was staying SL120/specific level in DS1.

Gbraga

SL
150 on NG+
But it doesn't really matter much because of Soul Memory

None. (I don't consider the below a spoiler but I'm being conservative)
Matchmaking is a function of soul memory (total # of souls collected regardless of whether you spend them, lose them or not), not your level. Much of the PVP happens in NG+ and beyond where the soul memory range is extended such that you won't have trouble finding people to play with.

So... there's literally no reason to cap yourself at a certain level for PVP this time. People have thrown around SL150 as the meta, but there's not an actual point to this like there was staying SL120/specific level in DS1.

Interesting. Thanks for the answers.

So Durante, do you think this will perform better than Dark Souls 1 on equal hardware and at similar settings? Dark souls 1 seemed really badly optimized, and my laptop ran it at a barely playable framerate.

Grief.exe

So Durante, do you think this will perform better than Dark Souls 1 on equal hardware and at similar settings? Dark souls 1 seemed really badly optimized, and my laptop ran it at a barely playable framerate.

Dark Souls 1 was actually pretty well optimized, it was just CPU constrained which would explain why it ran so poorly on your laptop.

I hope my Collector's Edition gets here by Friday. I never preorder games, so I dunno how good Amazon's "Release Day delivery" is.

And it looks like Amazon just changed the release day to the 24th as well. I seriously doubt it would get shipped to me by tomorrow, though.

Sullichin

Dark Souls 1 was actually pretty well optimized, it was just CPU constrained which would explain why it ran so poorly on your laptop.
Yeah I wouldn't say it was poorly optimized, but I've gotten better performance from more demanding games (HD7950). Getting a steady 60fps is a pain, fog doors and certain effects make the fps drop...
My first few hours of playing Dark Souls on PC were spent frustrated as hell, trying to get the framerate to not be complete shit on my AMD card (common problem with this game and AMD cards is that the card will run in low power mode). I had to do WAY too much shit to get it in a playable state, and this was before DSfix.

... DS2 is perfect in these respects out of the box.

I'm nearly done my DaS SL1 run. I just have to beat Nito, Gwyn, and (optionally) the DLC bosses but that last one will be quite a doozy.

Nito - Tank the shit out of him. Heal and attack always.
Gwyn - EZ but exciting parry/riposte battle or EZier great combustion cheese
Arty - good luck with an elemental weapon. Go RTSR, but watch out because his slime attack is now deadly
Kalameet & Manus - you are already dead.

Durante

DS2 shows that DS1 required more CPU performance than it should have. DS2, if anything, does more on the CPU (e.g. cloth physics), and it requires less CPU performance for the same framerate, as far as I can see.

I'd download it to watch though, neither the Flash nor the HTML5 streaming version seem to deal well with the variable framerate source. At least on my system.

Sullichin

I hope my Collector's Edition gets here by Friday. I never preorder games, so I dunno how good Amazon's "Release Day delivery" is.

And it looks like Amazon just changed the release day to the 24th as well. I seriously doubt it would get shipped to me by tomorrow, though.
Release day delivery has always been good to me in the past (most recently with DS2 CE for PS3).

Grief.exe

DS2 shows that DS1 required more CPU performance than it should have. DS2, if anything, does more on the CPU (e.g. cloth physics), and it requires less CPU performance for the same framerate, as far as I can see.

And people still don't believe Dark Souls II was PC lead platform. I don't think From was lying in that respect.

Durante

Hey, Dark Souls 2 is updating right now. 260 MB. Interesting.

And people still don't believe Dark Souls II was PC lead platform. I don't think From was lying in that respect.
Yeah, I do think it was the lead platform, it's just that overall design was constrained by the lowest common denominator in some regards. Though I am not sure if the ambient lighting changes aren't reactions to playability feedback after all.

Anyway, you don't create 2048x4096 armor textures for last-gen consoles rendering at 1280x720 :p

Sullichin

Hey, Dark Souls 2 is updating right now. 260 MB. Interesting.

Yeah, I do think it was the lead platform, it's just that overall design was constrained by the lowest common denominator in some regards. Though I am not sure if the ambient lighting changes aren't reactions to playability feedback after all.
Sorry I keep asking, What is your version/ calibration number on the title screen? And can you select resolutions higher than your monitors native, because I can't.

Grief.exe

Sorry I keep asking, What is your version/ calibration number on the title screen? And can you select resolutions higher than your monitors native, because I can't.

Downsampling is configured by 'overclocking' your monitor through your GPU drivers.

I don't think I've seen a game that natively allows for software downsampling. I believe you can in the ARMA series and a few others, but that is the exception to the rule.

Durante is hinting that he may have a surprise for us in this regard though, IE some form of DSFix for Dark Souls II.

Sullichin

I don't know, I can't launch the game right now, it's updating. This is actually interrupting my workflow :p

You can't.

Downsampling is configured by 'overclocking' your monitor through your GPU drivers.

I don't think I've seen a game that natively allows for software downsampling. I believe you can in the ARMA series and a few others, but that is the exception to the rule.

Durante is hinting that he may have a surprise for us in this regard though, IE some form of DSFix for Dark Souls II.
Right right. I thought I read for some reason that DS2 actually allows you to do this within the menu, which yeah, I've never seen before. But it's not the case. That's fine, I can reinstall the AMD downsampling GUI tool or use whatever Durante clearly has in store :p Just making sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom