• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezard

Really? To be honest I didn't even try to upgrade any armor because Drangleic just seems so much more powerful. I didn't invest my twinkling titanites either though.

Drangelic is near useless except at the beginning. Upgrading armor is much better. A fully (+10) upgraded armor has twice the stats it has unupgraded. I have a normal upgraded armor that has ~300 in the physical defenses, getting 150+ is simple.

DeaviL

Banned
I've found that you can parry Greatswords with the parrying dagger by starting your parry just as your enemy starts their slash.
Parried someone twice in a row and stabbed him down, poor sob.

Grief.exe

Very. Half the players I've taken down in Belfry Sol have names like EatABagOf****s or ****muncher. I guess they are Steam names that the game is censoring out?

It goes by the name you created for the character. Whatever you named the character is what people will see.

Vitor711

Ugh, anyone else experiencing fake backstabs?

I'll frequently position myself behind an enemy and get locked into the backstab animation as they walk away... Seems to happen if you initiate it from slightly too far off. Annoying regardless.

Happens VS the AI btw, not online.

Leezard

I'll frequently position myself behind an enemy and get locked into the backstab animation as they walk away... Seems to happen if you initiate it from slightly too far off. Annoying regardless.

This happens against both AI and online. You cant backstab someone who is moving too fast.

Carcetti

It goes by the name you created for the character. Whatever you named the character is what people will see.

Ah, on PS3 you see PSN names so I assumed it was going to be the same here. No wonder. The best part is that nobody can ever see their names and there's so many of them. How are you going to get anything out of being Sir *********

Sullichin

Very. Half the players I've taken down in Belfry Sol have names like EatABagOf****s or ****muncher. I guess they are Steam names that the game is censoring out?

It's awesome that they use character names, but as far as I know there's no way to see who you recently played with to message them like you can on PS3 which kinda sucks. I miss that.

Grief.exe

It's awesome that they use character names, but as far as I know there's no way to see who you recently played with to message them like you can on PS3 which kinda sucks. I miss that.

Shift-tab, click players, and select recent.

A bit more convoluted than PSN/XBL as you have to add them first.

DeaviL

Banned

It's not really fake, when you're in the backstab position and you click you start the backstab hit motion. If that hit lands you backstab, even if it hits him square in the jaw.

I've been backstabbed in the face due to lag once though...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm having a hard time deciding where to go with my stats and equipment and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm playing a balanced (in terms of speed vs. defense) STR melee build. I have a maxed pyro glove but only 1 attunement slot. Progress-wise, I just got the King's Ring.

Here's my stat situation:

vEOiMDf.jpg

And here's my material stash:

What stats should I keep leveling (or respec)? What equipment should I buff up? My Claymore+10 and Mace+9 are holding up quite well but I want to spice things up for the late game and in preparation for NG+.

Vitor711

It's not really fake, when you're in the backstab position and you click you start the backstab hit motion. If that hit lands you backstab, even if it hits him square in the jaw.

I've been backstabbed in the face due to lag once though...

That's not the issue - it's that the animation starts and then stops. I get locked into a defenceless position until my character finishes his movements and end up doing no damage to the enemy. It's annoying. It's as if I'm doing a parry animation with no follow through.

Happens rarely but has occurred enough times to be noticeable.

Sullichin

Shift-tab, click players, and select recent.

A bit more convoluted than PSN/XBL as you have to add them first.

Didn't know that, thanks.

My Recently Played With is always blank...? Do I have a setting turned off or blocked or something?

Or only counts friends?

I have people from when I played yesterday there that aren't on my friend's list. I'm going to check the next time I'm invaded/invade if I see someone right away.

AkuMifune

Banned
I have people from when I played yesterday there that aren't on my friend's list. I'm going to check the next time I'm invaded/invade if I see someone right away.

Thought I was looking in the wrong place (Friends->Recently Played With), but Players->Recently Played With is blank too.

Still stuck choosing between final armor sets. I was just standing next to a bonfire changing outfits last night while the wife laughed at me.

Hey, serious business.

elfinke

So the MLGS can't be buffed at all? Fire, Dark, Poison, etc?

Seems like a fun toy, but relatively weak in general.

At +5 with Magic infusion it's plenty good. Nice big frontal arc to hit enemies with, plus the ever handy R2 attack as a backup. S-scaling to your INT/MAG. The worst thing about the nerf is the slightly slower start up swing speed, I think. Nonetheless, remains my second favourite Souls' weapon (Keel/DBS 4lyf).

Sullichin

Thought I was looking in the wrong place (Friends->Recently Played With), but Players->Recently Played With is blank too.

Still stuck choosing between final armor sets. I was just standing next to a bonfire changing outfits last night while the wife laughed at me.

Hey, serious business.

Just invaded in Undead Crypt and the host and the blue sentinel that showed up to help both appeared on that list.

I lost.

Grief.exe

I'm having a hard time deciding where to go with my stats and equipment and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm playing a balanced (in terms of speed vs. defense) STR melee build. I have a maxed pyro glove but only 1 attunement slot. Progress-wise, I just got the King's Ring.

Here's my stat situation:

And here's my material stash:

What stats should I keep leveling (or respec)? What equipment should I buff up? My Claymore+10 and Mace+9 are holding up quite well but I want to spice things up for the late game and in preparation for NG+.

If you are going for a STR scaling build, then you should get a really good STR weapon!

Check out Great Club, Large Club, and Pursuer's Ultra Great sword, King's Ultra Greatsword, Estoc, and more. All of these scale with STR at A or S level when max upgraded.

I really don't see the point in having 40 VIT.

Grief.exe

My Recently Played With is always blank...? Do I have a setting turned off or blocked or something?

Or only counts friends?

I will have to check it out when I get home for the exact place to look.

You can infuse it but not buff it. Still very powerful on an int build with solid damage, good reach and moveset.

At +5 with Magic infusion it's plenty good. Nice big frontal arc to hit enemies with, plus the ever handy R2 attack as a backup. S-scaling to your INT/MAG. The worst thing about the nerf is the slightly slower start up swing speed, I think. Nonetheless, remains my second favourite Souls' weapon (Keel/DBS 4lyf).

I know it has S level scaling with magic infusion. Maybe I will try out a magic build.

Thrakier

I SO want to get rid of that fucking leather shield but I just can't find one which is better in relation to the weight. And I didn't even upgrade it so far.

Regarding upgrading - how do you even know if a armor/weapon is worth putting money and items in it. Can you somehow calculate the outcome in relation to other items? F.e. I found a black armor which is way worse than drangleic in it's original state. How do I know if it's worth upgrading and if a black armor +10 is better than drangleic +10?

Game is a riddle to me tbh.

I tried to fight Vendrick with my magic character, but he knocked out with stamina with one hit and then killed me with another while stunned, so no thanks.

Apparently, magic just isn't viable on that fight. Strap up and melee him to death, only roll to your right.

Finally got that sucker with pure mage. Took about 15 to 20 tries. The trick (or my strat anyway) is to lock on and strafe backwards while circling the perimiter. Try to bait a swing attack, roll back and get a shot off. Rinse and repeat. Takes a long time and there is no margin for error since most attacks one-shot me.

Sullichin

I SO want to get rid of that fucking leather shield but I just can't find one which is better in relation to the weight. And I didn't even upgrade it so far.

Regarding upgrading - how do you even know if a armor/weapon is worth putting money and items in it. Can you somehow calculate the outcome in relation to other items? F.e. I found a black armor which is way worse than drangleic in it's original state. How do I know if it's worth upgrading and if a black armor +10 is better than drangleic +10?

Look at the stats of the item, and as you upgrade it you can see how its stats will increase (the + numbers in blue on the reinforcement screen when you're at the blacksmith). There's no way to directly compare two armor sets like you're describing in the game though. Some armors have lower defense stats because they're lighter. Some of the heavier sets have poise, which affects how easily a hit will stagger you. Some armors are specialized for certain defense like fire/poison.

Focus on upgrading your weapons over your armor, and try to stay under 70% equip weight for faster rolls or even under 50% equip weight for farther rolls and slightly faster stamina regeneration.

Vaporak

Just fine stuff you like and experiment, don't think about it any more than that because it isn't any more important than that.

nowai

There's something wrong about the fact that it takes less stamina for me to block the mace wielding Drakekeeper with my medium shield than to dodge his attacks. He two shots me but barely takes any stamina to block.

Also, how do you avoid AD's flame breath?

run toward his tail when he's in the air.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
God this game is huge. I found a path in one of the areas I'm in and the messages were all referencing things I passed on my way down the tunnel. Which pretty much tells me there's another path into this place. God damn.

Zemm

I completed the game and didn't find the npc that let me trade boss souls for weapons so I just played the whole game with a club I started with. The game was miles easier than the previous two games, had no problems with bosses.

Getting near the end of NG+, I feel it's really an easier game than DkS1 overall. Lots of bosses but most don't really feel like ones. Beat a lot of them on my first try and I'm really not that good of a player, that's for sure. I mostly didn't have the sense of dread from a boss encounter but still had loads of fun nevertheless. Not sure I'll be going NG++. Is there anything different from NG+, how's the difficulty progression after NG+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom