• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawsie64

Banned
What the hell is wrong with PvP.. Is it my connection? I've never had issues in the past with lag but seriously, pummelling an invader in Belfry Tower and them taking no damage only to be backstabbed from across the entire arena and killed.. Its happened so many times to me :(

Styles

I'm guessing there's no "three way" spell catalyst like the Faith/Spell catalyst in Dark 1? :( I saw a dual-one sold from the Hex dude near Huntman's but I want just one to upgrade just in case I need any of the schools of magic (with a Pyromancy flame) in a pinch. D:

There is one actually!

Echoplx

I've recently finished the game with a STR/FTH build, thinking of respeccing to a DEX/INT build for NG+ just to try something different, any advice?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There is, it's farmed very late game.

Shiiiiit.

I guess I'll enfuse the catalyst and bells for faith and spells for now. Should help boost my damage.

I've got like 20 in DEX/STR FTH/INT and am doing so little damage compared to my summons, it's insane. I can generally take on cannon fodder enemies pretty easy but it's the bosses where I'm all "WTF I'm doing so little damage compared to you..." that it's crazy.

2AdEPT

I'm completely stuck on Ancient Dragon and Darklurker but don't want to beat the game so I'm just dicking around with PvP on the Iron Keep Bridge. The Curved Dragon Greatsword seems kind of bad mannered in pvp.

Well if can handle spoilers these two vids may help....especially the AD one. ;)\\

click here for how to git gud (rape the AI) at AD

click here to see a way to get D
arklurker

OK time for me to offer a trade.....I have got just about everything from the shadows in NG+ f
lexile sentry
area....I need my leggings but I have extra of everything else besides the main shadow armour.....I will trade it all for the main piece, dagger, pincer weapon, shadow gauntets with bleed effect, and maybe even the mask (only have one but looks ugly) I laso have chimes etc and lots of other weapons I wont use as its a fist only run character.

anyone interested please leave a message here or @
adepterik 2 on steam.

ACE 1991

So what build, stats wise, offers the most flexibility? I want to plan out my build in terms of stats (what should I prioritize?) but I don't want to spoil the game.

Jintor

So what build, stats wise, offers the most flexibility? I want to plan out my build in terms of stats (what should I prioritize?) but I don't want to spoil the game.

Weapon-wise, strength is probably the wiser build right now, but scaling isn't as dramatically important as it was in DS1 so you can experiment a little with Int, Attune and Faith if you want

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Faith is the most flexible, because with Miracles you get ranged options (that scale well) and healing (to save flask charges/gem).

If you prefer weapon focused gameplay however, DEX is probably better than STR, because of the ranged options it gives you. DkS2 really punishes narrow melee-only builds, you'll want at least one ranged option up your sleeve in tricky spots.

Alternatively you can sink states into VIG/END/ADP until you decide what kind of offensive options you want.

maomaoIYP

I've got like 20 in DEX/STR FTH/INT and am doing so little damage compared to my summons, it's insane. I can generally take on cannon fodder enemies pretty easy but it's the bosses where I'm all "WTF I'm doing so little damage compared to you..." that it's crazy.
You have 20/20 INT/FAI? Did you get the (free!) sunset staff from the hex trainer at the 1st bonfire of huntsman? It's the best hex staff in the game, but requires twinkling for upgrading. It's better for hexes but even if you're only using it to cast sorcery it will be stronger than anything you can have until very late game.

There's no easy way to answer this question. Super multitasking builds can be built by the time you reach SL 150, but early on it pays to focus on one aspect more than branching out and doing everything.

Haly

Fuck if I'm going back to that room in No-man's Wharf again.

They are THE WORST.

2AdEPT

Well you don't really need that much ranged. Bow + poison arrows is enough for almost everything

I agree, bows are all that is needed to compliment your dex build.....dex (or non-tank, quality/STR/melee) is really the only truly satisfying skill based character build, the rest is fluff....but can be fun...just only after beating the game as dex.

Haly

I didn't get to
Doors of Pharros
until mid-game.

impact

Banned

You don't really need a build because of soul memory. But if you're not talking endgame then STR/DEX is the way to go.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You have 20/20 INT/FAI? Did you get the (free!) sunset staff from the hex trainer at the 1st bonfire of huntsman? It's the best hex staff in the game, but requires twinkling for upgrading. It's better for hexes but even if you're only using it to cast sorcery it will be stronger than anything you can have until very late game.

Guess I'll go back there tomorrow and get that then. I didn't know since I got all the hexes from him and the two staffs before I leveled to that point.

All my stats are about 10+ now. I've been attempting to buff INT/FTH for spell damage boosts like Dark 1 but apparently I was missing the catalyst upgrade change. (But I'm still doing shit damage. Ugh)

Though to be fair: I've been using the two Short Swords (Fire embued/non-embued) from the very start of the game so far which is why I've been buffing STR/DEX to finally find a weapon to upgrade but not so good with that. :/

maomaoIYP

Guess I'll go back there tomorrow and get that then. I didn't know since I got all the hexes from him and the two staffs before I leveled to that point.

All my stats are about 10+ now. I've been attempting to buff INT/FTH for spell damage boosts like Dark 1 but apparently I was missing the catalyst upgrade change. (But I'm still doing shit damage. Ugh)

Though to be fair: I've been using the two Short Swords (Fire embued/non-embued) from the very start of the game so far which is why I've been buffing STR/DEX to finally find a weapon to upgrade but not so good with that. :/

Well once you've gotten the sunset staff, switch to casting dark orb as your main magic attack. It has so many casts and it works beautifully with the staff.

Haly

Yeah, but you don't really need ranged before then if you're keeping up with your weapon tiers.

Off the top of my head:

The dudes sitting on pillars in front of Executioner Chariot
The phantom in front of the Chariot
The four sickle giants in the side cavern in Harvest Valley
The two archers next to the bridge in Earthen Peak
The rooftop archers in No-man's Wharf
Fire Salamander Pit
Vorgel the Sinner at Belfry Luna

Obviously, you don't strictly need ranged options for any of these, but they're really nice to have.

maomaoIYP

Off the top of my head:

Fire Salamander Pit

Obviously, you don't strictly need ranged options for any of these, but they're really nice to have.

You forgot the most important area! Shrine of Amana.

Jintor

Off the top of my head:

Fire Salamander Pit

All you need to do is kite most of them into melee range and then murder them. Though fuck the sickle giants.

Haly

Well, you'll get to Doors of Pharros before you get to Shrine of Amana!

My point is that unless you beeline to Gavlan, you won't have that many poison arrows to take out all the targets you want at range.

Another: Giant frog thingie in Shaded Ruins. That one you definitely can't do before reaching Gavlan's home.
All you need to do is kite most of them into melee range and then murder them. Though fuck the sickle giants.

Most of those are unkitable, or where kiting is not what you want to do or very difficult (enclosed, cramped, traps, etc). Only the pillar guys can be kited as pure melee.

Jintor

You don't need poison arrows for that though, it just helps. A half-dozen iron arrows in the eye is sufficient for those guys outta range.

Or you could binocular magic snipe.

Echoplx

Only place I ever actually needed ranged attacks was
Shrine of Amana
, everywhere else you listed can be done melee only without too much difficulty, ranged attacks would be nice but not necessary at all.

Fuck those fire salamanders though, one of them is set up specifically to fuck with melee users.

burgerdog

Old hero dead. Fuuuuuuuuck 4-2 it's by far the hardest section for me in the soul series. I doubt anything will come close. I only have about two or three areas left.

Haly

You don't need poison arrows for that though, it just helps. A half-dozen iron arrows in the eye is sufficient for those guys outta range.

Or you could binocular magic snipe.

Well you don't really need that much ranged. Bow + poison arrows is enough for almost everything
So we agree it's nice to have ranged options!

ACE 1991

Weapon-wise, strength is probably the wiser build right now, but scaling isn't as dramatically important as it was in DS1 so you can experiment a little with Int, Attune and Faith if you want

There's no easy way to answer this question. Super multitasking builds can be built by the time you reach SL 150, but early on it pays to focus on one aspect more than branching out and doing everything.

You don't really need a build because of soul memory. But if you're not talking endgame then STR/DEX is the way to go.

Thanks! So is focusing on Str/End a good idea? I screwed up my build in Demon's, so I don't want to do that again.

maomaoIYP

Thanks! So is focusing on Str/End a good idea? I screwed up my build in Demon's, so I don't want to do that again.

Technically it's impossible to screw up your build because you can respec in this game. You can still do a minor screw up by wasting materials and souls upgrading stuff that you might not use in the end though.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Undead Purgatory via Huntsman's Copse
Is losing insane amount of souls and dying many many times normal to progress through this section?
.to kill those 5-6 mummy wrapped enemies who wield those star halberd(something) and the whips <- killed them a few times, now I just got used to running/rolling past them without taking damage
.only to reach a circle of hell, where
death rides a chariot
? <- I lost count of how many times I died here, more than 30 times for sure

Frustrated.

I continued my exploration of Lost Bastille, reaching Sinner's Rise
.found a few gates which required a key I guess(no idea where to get it)
.Sinner's Rise boss fight <- my first time ever
..had two white phantom summoned into my game
..the darkness in the boss area decreases acquisition range for targeting, missed a few lighting spears (and so did my summons who missed their projectiles)
..only to die to the boss who just had a enough health to be killed by a single hit

Abandoned the second run to the boss; may be those locked gates does something (like adding something through chutes, with what I could make out through the closed gates).

Resumed exploring the ladder below the bonfire, to reach..a hidden area.
Belfry Luna
.got invaded insane number of times
.made it to the fog gate once (only be outnumbered)
.joined the Covenant
..invaded someone, killed the host to get a titinate chunk! <- cool
..but I got invaded too (what the...)

Shouldn't joining the covenant stop the invasions from the same covenant members? Because its as if the game is piling every player against every other player, to stop anyone one from progressing through that area.

Edit: That's a damn good idea, if I have ever seen one.

well, the goal of the covenant is to keep anyone from ringing the bell. That includes other covenant members.

It may be a cheap way out, but I just put steam into offline mode for belfry luna and sol after I got invaded a few times.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
How good is Dark Weapon buff compared to Magic Weapon and its derivatives.

Leveled up my character to use it, 10 INT to 16 INT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom