• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

This game.....

bbWW62H.gif

Game is running great, think I'll call it a day.

Really good game so far. Been running power stance with double battle axes. I hit pretty hard but man is playing without a shield hard sometimes. Two hardest bosses so far are pursuer (who wasn't that bad, I was just underleveled) and the ruin sentinels, which is more of a battle of attrition, and quite hard without a shield. Atleast the fight gets progressively easier, unlike S&O. I dislike how much I get interrupted when swinging, poise seems non existent in this game. So far I have 2x some strength, 8 dexterity, 20 endurance, 20 adaption and 20 vigor. Unsure if I want to sink the rest of my future points into vitality to equip some heavier armor or just keep pumping strength to hit harder.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I read a couple of pages here, but maybe I missed it:

Did anything change from the preview version the press had for a while? Anything meaningful anyway.

Cerity

Killed the two troll things at the beginning, took a few tries but got them in the end. Hopped in the coffin and I have no idea what happened, other than my appearance changed. That's what I love about the souls games.

xBladeM6x

If Durante-san is watching, I'd like to know what's the best AA settings you could recommend without it being absolutely crushing on FPS?

neoism

Everyone with a vac ban in any game on steam can't play Dark Souls 2 online apparently.

Also: my HD5550 can only do about 20-35fps @ 1920x1200.

damn running a RHD5870 on 13.1 drivers but I should be fine if th game will start at all pls pls pls... will be playing at 1280x720 or 768

Meia

So I have to do some magical shit just to get the game to start up since it wants to crash right away?

Yeah, great fucking port.

Carm

After seeing some saying blank screen on TV over HDMI (using Nvidia GPU) I thought this was gonna be MGR:R all over again, don't that still hasn't been fixed. Thankfully DS2 loaded fine on my TV. Tried to take on the starting area "dogs" with no weapon.... heh welp that's the first achievement.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm guessing No Man's Wharf is not the way to go at the beginning or I just really suck. Made decent progress but the enemies hit me so hard.

cm osi

Dark Souls II is fuckin tough.

I went deprived.

All of my weapons are broken (like 7 different swords).
they autorepair themselves when you use a bonfire, unless they're broken. so use them often

I have no souls.

I don't even know how to help the blacksmith.
you can buy the key from the Merchant Hag Melentia, second bonfire of the forest

Is the forest the right path?
you can go to the forest or to the heide tower, your choice

For the new page

but you should go blind the first run

Dark Souls II is fuckin tough.

I went deprived.

All of my weapons are broken (like 7 different swords).

I have no souls.

I don't even know how to help the blacksmith.

Is the forest the right path?

For the new page

Unless a weapon has completely broken it will auto repair at bonfires. So try not to let them get to breaking point is best. Otherwise you will need to find something else until you can visit the blacksmith. Forest is fine to start.

AlterOdin

Is anybody else getting some "weird" character/enemy lighting?

In the first area, with the foggates in the trees, when I am in the dark I can see the enemies clear as day. It's as the lighting does not effect them, they also flicker sometimes between getting lighting from the environment (ie dark) to a very flat lighting.

Also great work with GeDoSaTo, although it does not seem to play nice with steam big picture mode, freezes every time with me (steam that is).

Also a second note with GeDoSaTo when downsampling, seems every time the game loads (death, new area, etc) my graphics get all white-warped-ish, changing the resolution back and forth fixes it, but curios if anybody else are getting this.

680gtx with latest beta.

Edit: see steam overlay may be causing some issues, will try to disable tomorrow.

The_Monk

I'm going to be really honest and say that I'm really happy for being able to play this game right now... :')

Anyone who game on a very tight budget on a daily basis will understand. It makes me cherish this hobby even more.

HRose

Banned
Had a bit of issues launching for the first time:

- I get some flickering text in the "info" screen that is brought up.
- The DS4 wouldn't work out of the box,so I went looking for the xwrapper thing. When I tried to rewrite the driver as per instructions my PC bluescreened (first time I saw this) because of some USB error. I rebooted and plugged in a USB 2.0 port and now it works. Maybe the USB 3 isn't compatible with the wrapper. Then the driver worked and the connection was showing on that server UI thing, but the game still wouldn't detect the pad. I finally realized that I ALSO needed to install the latest xbox 360 drivers (linked on the wrapper page) and only at that point the gamepad finally worked.
- Vibration does not seem to work?
- I tried the "grimmiron" SweetFX profile and it does look very nice indeed. Maybe because of bleaker colors and sharpening. But I like it on a lot more than off. Even the UI looks better.
- On a 16:10 screen the image isn't stretched, but it shows black bars for me. It's actually my preferred choice in games.

Then the fun stuff:

I loaded the game on my old PC: E8400 dual core, ATI 4850 512MB ram. This computer is 6 years old.

The game runs at 60 FPS. Well, in the starting location and 720p. Everything is maxed beside shadows set at "medium" and AA off and blur off in the camera.

But wow, I didn't expect that it ran like that. When capped at around 34 FPS the game is just great. I can't push the limit much higher not because of performance but because the fan goes too crazy on this old card.

nbthedude

Hope this is fixed soon, I want to tell people to fuck off when they dare invite me to play other games while I play Dark Souls 2.

I just use my chrome book to message people while playing.

Also I just want to say after playing an hour:

-Thank You Durante, you did it again. God, this looks amazing with GeDoSaTo.

Piping it through 4 rooms to my big screen TV, maxed out settings in GeDoSato, ice smooth 60 frames with everything maxed and playing with a 360 controller.

This shit is gaming nirvana.

Corpekata

Banned
Haven't really messed with SweetFX before, so forgive any ignorance. I copied the basic program's files to the game folder with the EXE, and used Durante's settings from his PCgamer article in the SweetFX_settings file, but it doesn't seem to be working. The readme says Scroll Lock toggles so tried that thinking maybe I was just blind but no difference. Did I skip a step?

Garcia

I just toyed with the video settings and even when you drop everything down to low, the game looks leaps better than the PS3 version, LOL.

cm osi

Game is running great, think I'll call it a day.

Really good game so far. Been running power stance with double battle axes. I hit pretty hard but man is playing without a shield hard sometimes. Two hardest bosses so far are pursuer (who wasn't that bad, I was just underleveled) and the ruin sentinels, which is more of a battle of attrition, and quite hard without a shield. Atleast the fight gets progressively easier, unlike S&O. I dislike how much I get interrupted when swinging, poise seems non existent in this game. So far I have 2x some strength, 8 dexterity, 20 endurance, 20 adaption and 20 vigor. Unsure if I want to sink the rest of my future points into vitality to equip some heavier armor or just keep pumping strength to hit harder.

yep, they ultra nerfed poise

First death was me double tapping B and falling down a ladder :(

Did anyone else laugh about the
3 pigs by the house? It was so funny to me that they were so strong and I was so weak

r3n4ud

Same, having issues with wired DS4 and 360 controllers :/

Sorry to hear that :(

Reading the Steam forums, other folks are having the same issue as well. Someone suggested to unplug other usb items on your pc as it may be conflicting. Doesn't help in my case though...

neoism

This worked for me. I have a 7970 ghz and am playing the game on my tv through hdmi.

Thank you for this info.

so im pretty sure I had a dvi-vga adapter the dvi port is on my card and Im using a vga cable am i fucked

holy fucking shit... WOW @_@ I was typing this and decided to go look at my card :O after over 5k + hours of gaming with this wondeful card got it in NOV 09 :O it has a fucking HDMI connect on the back :O :O

Sorry to hear that :(

Reading the Steam forums, other folks are having the same issue as well. Someone suggested to unplug other usb items on your pc as it may be conflicting. Doesn't help in my case though...

unplugged my DS4 and replugged the 360 controller and it seems to be working, guess I'll just stick with that for now. Hope a newer version of Xinput comes out that can get the DS4 working for dark souls 2

Zelkian

Neo Member
I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti and I was getting crashes to desktop when I tried to start the game.

The fix that worked for me was going into the Nvidia Control Panel and disabling my second display (my TV).

nbthedude

One thing: It there anyway to turn off Mouse cursor? It keeps popping back up and I have to go into the other room to get rid of it again.

finalflame

NRRgmRZ.jpg

1440p, 8xSGSSA + 8xMSAA + HBAO+. 60 fps! Must say, I am loving the way the game looks/plays on the PC over my 360, but no surprise there. SweetFX seemed to be giving me some slight shader/lighting glitches that aren't present without it, so I am playing without it for now!

Thanks Durante for the awesome guide! :)

Lazyslob

Banned
How are the keyboard controls for this game? Thinking of getting it even though I haven't played the first one.

._.

Im playing with mouse and keyboard right now. this game would be so much better with controller but it's not bad. i fucking hate these troll cyclops things. they are fucking psychic. ass soon as i click to attack this mother fucker is turning around swinging for the fences.

xBladeM6x

I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti and I was getting crashes to desktop when I tried to start the game.

The fix that worked for me was going into the Nvidia Control Panel and disabling my second display (my TV).

If it was hooked up with an HDMI that's why. I think someone posted a fix to the HDMI problem earlier in the topic, but I didn't give it a solid read.

moop1167

At the main menu, when you get that pop-up for the information, does that shit flicker like crazy for anyone else? It's not SLI, because I turned SLI off. It might be the custom resolutions or something. I guess it doesn't really matter but it feels like I am having a seizure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom