• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Guru-Guru

Banned
Just beat the game tonight. It was great. Coming off of Bloodborne, I loved the sheer amount of customization, online being way less of a headache, as well as playing a completely different build/style compared to the former. I beat all the optional bosses in the main game, but I haven't done the DLC yet, which I hear has great level design. I think I might take a couple days off then go do that. I'm really looking forward to Dark Souls 3, which must be in development!

Went back to play dark souls 1 on the 360 today and just couldn't do it, just a mixture of being really used to the ds4, and fairly iffy framerate.

I'm not sure if its too likely, but i'd love a demon's souls and dark souls ps4 port, i know with sony publishing one and namco the other its likely never going to happen.

EDIT: and i do not have a gaming PC, and no plans to buy one for sometime.
That's too bad, I will never play souls games on last gen hardware again(except demons) and no way would I buy a ps4 for a remastered demons souls alone. Welllllll maybe I would. Honestly if you are a souls fan PC is almost a must have. Even the ps4 doesn't have the awesome modding community.

Ratrat

There are a lot of differences. Better graphics, new enemy and item placements in the base game, new NPC summons and NPC invader.

I don't have it myself either, but I've been watching the LobosJr playthrough and it's quite different - largely in just throwing a load more enemies (if you can believe that!) There must be about 3 or 4 times as many hollows in the first area of FOFG for example where the first Heide Knight used to be sat under the tree. It looks pretty ridiculous tbh, seeing a dozen identical enemy models all doing the same animation. To me it looks like a fan-made 'hard mode' mod at times.

There are some odd choices made, enemies removed and others completely out of place
Desert sorceresses and Manakins in Drangleic Castle, the big hall in the castle with all the archers on the balcony now has a bunch of those old knights from Heides/Dragon Shrine and also the Executioner's horse boss on the main floor, lol! How did they get it in there?!!

Some of the changes are better thought out than that, and some of them look really silly. Overall it seems like a 'Master Quest' or remix type update. I wish they had included the choice to play vanilla or SOFS versions because I think players who haven't played vanilla are getting a mixed-bag of upgrades and downgrades.
Are you talking about the ps4/one versions? Basicalling I'm wonder how much the free update does I guess.

That's too bad, I will never play souls games on last gen hardware again(except demons) and no way would I buy a ps4 for a remastered demons souls alone. Welllllll maybe I would. Honestly if you are a souls fan PC is almost a must have. Even the ps4 doesn't have the awesome modding community.
But bloodborne is not on pc :(

I am really confused on the difference between the blue sentinels and the way of the blue.

If you're in way of blue there's a chance that if you're invaded a dude from blue sentinels will come to assist you. So then if you're in blue sentinels you might get sent into a way of blue guys world to help him defeat an invader.

this reminds me. in the very beginning of dlc 2, i saw a message stating: try attacking and then death! i i just stood there and did nothing for a few sec. then controls died and i couldn't do anything. my character died on the spot for no reason and flew into the sky. i got a good look from up there but yea, that was weird and funny :D

dubq

I'm seriously having issues finding other players to summon. I know all about soul memory and there is no way that I am that far ahead of other people in the same areas as I'm playing the game the same way I did on ps3, and I never once had an issue finding summoning symbols in that version of the game. Is anyone else having this issue? Are people just not putting their summon signs down? I get summoned almost immediately when I put mine down.. And I actually noticed that I had gotten summoned by the same person three times in a row last night.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just beat the game tonight. It was great. Coming off of Bloodborne, I loved the sheer amount of customization, online being way less of a headache, as well as playing a completely different build/style compared to the former. I beat all the optional bosses in the main game, but I haven't done the DLC yet, which I hear has great level design. I think I might take a couple days off then go do that.

I'm really looking forward to Dark Souls 3, which must be in development!

Ahhh, Miyasaki's dark souls swan song!

Though I really liked DS2, so we'll see if that 'touch' really does make it noticably, apocolyptically better.
I'm excited.

Bought this today.

I was going to buy bloodborne however reading a few threads it was suggested it's worth having experience of dark souls first.

Looks like I better get used to being bitch slapped of mobs then!

Even after seven character playthroughs of DS2 I am still amazed at things I missed.

-being able to see the durability level of my weapons from the red bar next to it's picture.
-being able to tell if I can coop in a particular zone based on the area picture glowing orange on the warp screen.
-hitting face trees in shaded woods fog zone creates distractions (I think) for the invisible guys.

And finally discovering the joys of dual wielding vs my usual shielded play style. Darting around as a Dex/Int build is damn fun. I can't help but think that Bloodbourne pushed me in this direction. I seem much more aggressive on this playthrough than ever before.

Damn! Just purchased this game today, I have cleared FoFG and first boss in Tower of Flame and... damn. After being so used to a completely overpowered character in vanilla DS2, playing a new character and on champions covenant (I'm using it for first time) feels brutal.

I'm really enjoying this, the new enemy placements makes this game feel like a completely new experience.

How on earth did you miss this on the 6 previous playthroughs?

Because it's a tiny little bar that blended in with the UI and weapon image for me. I never ran into durability issues on my pre-SotFS playthroughs so I was never concerned with my durability anyway. Oh well, I was happy to find it being there but apparently it's common knowledge so whatever.

just got this and fired it up! already kind of overwhelmed coming from bloodborne...
Had you played a Souls game before Bloodborne?

I played DaS through to maybe the top of Sen's Fortress, and am now working through Bloodborne (which I'll actually finish) and already eyeing DS2 but worried I'll be kind of disappointed. How does it feel after playing through BB? Are you enjoying it?

KiKaL

I am sure it's been asked 100 times in this thread but it's hard to find with how may pages there are.

For PC users what's the general consensus on if it's worth upgrading for $20? I have not beaten Dark Souls 2 yet or any of the DLC but do own it. I don't really do PVP so I don't care about the multiplayer enhancements. As of now, it seems like it's not really worth it for what seems like minor graphic enhancements but it's really hard to tell. Is that the case?

Kama_1082

Banned
I'm about 8 hours in and I'm in love with this game. Am I bit overleveled though? I just hit the
flame tower
bonfire.

Level 47
VGR 19
END 11
VIT 8
ATN 11
STR 20
DEX 6
INT 4
FTH 12

I'm a cleric that's sticking with my mace and shield.

Any tips on how I should level up?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I heard you can summon Creighton in hunter's corpse now but I can't find his sign in the caves :/

It's
just beyond the door you need to open to open up the shortcut from the cell where you meet Creighton to the boss fog. From the fog door leading to the Skeleton Lords go into the cave behind the waterfall, kill the necromancer and skeletons inside, and you should see Creighton's summoning sign near the lever you pull to open the shortcut gate.

You also need to have spoken to Creighton after rescuing him and either died or rested at a bonfire so that he disappears from the cell. If you've done all that you should be able to find his sign. He and the other NPC you can summon can pretty much handle the
Skeleton Lords
with no assistance from you, should you be the sort who enjoys forcing AIs to fight one another for your amusement.

Man whoever designed frigid wastes needs to be taken outback and fired. I don't feel any need to do the zone after seeing the boss is another rehash. Like literally who thought this would be fun? I think I ran along the wall for 5 minutes then fell off a cliff because I can't see shit.

The dlc is good but there's like 2 new bosses + 1 rehash there for a challenge. You don't really lose much out on skipping them. The final boss was visually pleasing for ivory king. I hope to see more stuff like the DLC in Dark Souls 3 without
Iron Passage -> Blue Smelter Demon, Needless clearing to alonne and Frigid Wastes -> King's pets.

edit: Frigid outskirts*.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Like literally who thought this would be fun?

I love the Outskirts; it's one of my favorite zones to throw my sign down for co-op in.

Don't hug the wall. Whenever the blizzard clears look around for the nearest visible structure. You only get attacked when the snow is blowing and you're outside the safety of a building. Start running towards the nearest building when the blizzard clears, then just keep on truckin' when it resumes. If you get attacked and lose your sense of direction you can look at your footprints to figure out what direction you were traveling in, or you can just wait for the visibility to improve again before resuming your trek. The second shelter area also has a healing spring you can unlock with a lockstone to top off the HP of yourself and any player or NPC phantoms you brought along.

Doing that will get you to the boss much faster and with fewer fights. Following the wall takes much longer and you run the risk of blindly stumbling into a crevasse.

The place does seem to have been made with co-op in mind, much like the other optional areas in the DLCs. Even if there aren't any friendly folks looking to help you out the game does provide you with 3 NPC volunteers to bring along, who are generally pretty competent at dealing with the enemies along the route to the boss but who sometimes get stranded out in the middle of nowhere until you saunter back and rescue them.

Novocaine

Man, invaded back to back to back in Black Gulch, didn't even manage to make it to the 2nd bonfire. That's a good way to make me want to put the game down for a while....

I'm about 8 hours in and I'm in love with this game. Am I bit overleveled though? I just hit the
flame tower
bonfire.

Level 47
VGR 19
END 11
VIT 8
ATN 11
STR 20
DEX 6
INT 4
FTH 12

I'm a cleric that's sticking with my mace and shield.

Any tips on how I should level up?
whats your adp and agility ?

NeoFaff

Question about Frigid Outskirts - how many times do I have to kill the blizzard enemies for them to stop spawning?

12 or more? Do all of them count as 1 enemy? :/

Any suggestions on how to kill the
dragon
guarding the entrance of the cathedral in
Heide
? Even after clearing all the knights I can't even get close to it without being roasted.
Shoot it with arrows from the lower platform.

NoWayOut

dragon
Heide
? Even after clearing all the knights I can't even get close to it without being roasted.

usp84

So i am trying to platinum this on PS4 and i was wondering about the master of miracles/hexes/magic trophy.

Do i need to have every single miracle/hex/magic on one character or can i split between my 3 characters?

tuna_love

Banned
dragon
Heide
Kill the spear knight, then when at the top of the stairs sprint towards the dragon. You'll make it before he breathes fire. Make sure not to wake him before.

Top Bottom