• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I am in love, first souls experience, shieldless sword wielder

Lvl 61 primary leveling end, dex, adp, and vgr, started putting a bit into strength so I can wear better armor. Beaten 6 bosses so far, though I'm not sure if I'm playing in the right order.

Novocaine

Any suggestions on how to kill the
dragon
guarding the entrance of the cathedral in
Heide
? Even after clearing all the knights I can't even get close to it without being roasted.

You just have to run for it. I popped a large lifegem and a Brightbug and made it across fine.

I love the Outskirts; it's one of my favorite zones to throw my sign down for co-op in.

Don't hug the wall. Whenever the blizzard clears look around for the nearest visible structure. You only get attacked when the snow is blowing and you're outside the safety of a building. Start running towards the nearest building when the blizzard clears, then just keep on truckin' when it resumes. If you get attacked and lose your sense of direction you can look at your footprints to figure out what direction you were traveling in, or you can just wait for the visibility to improve again before resuming your trek. The second shelter area also has a healing spring you can unlock with a lockstone to top off the HP of yourself and any player or NPC phantoms you brought along.

Doing that will get you to the boss much faster and with fewer fights. Following the wall takes much longer and you run the risk of blindly stumbling into a crevasse.

The place does seem to have been made with co-op in mind, much like the other optional areas in the DLCs. Even if there aren't any friendly folks looking to help you out the game does provide you with 3 NPC volunteers to bring along, who are generally pretty competent at dealing with the enemies along the route to the boss but who sometimes get stranded out in the middle of nowhere until you saunter back and rescue them.

I'll probably give it a try tomorrow, trying to juggle studying for finals and dark souls :).

finished 3rd dlc. well, i still need to farm a few souls, but you prob guessed. found the
bone fist.
game changer. i expected something cool. i got far more than that. amazing shit, amazing game.

also donwned AD first try. they nerfed him hard from vanilla ver. 1. kinda sad.

finished 3rd dlc. well, i still need to farm a few souls, but you prob guessed. found the
bone fist.
game changer. i expected something cool. i got far more than that. amazing shit, amazing game.

also donwned AD first try. they nerfed him hard from vanilla ver. 1. kinda sad.

Oh they nerfed him? I thought the radius on his flame breath seemed small. I one shotted him as well but used the ring that reduced damage taken from behind.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I am sure it's been asked 100 times in this thread but it's hard to find with how may pages there are.

For PC users what's the general consensus on if it's worth upgrading for $20? I have not beaten Dark Souls 2 yet or any of the DLC but do own it. I don't really do PVP so I don't care about the multiplayer enhancements. As of now, it seems like it's not really worth it for what seems like minor graphic enhancements but it's really hard to tell. Is that the case?

questionable

Namco managed to make the upgrade a worse deal if you had already given them a bunch of money for the game. Well played guys, really.

If I were you, I would probably just go play through DS2 and the DLC since you already own them.

Neoweee

questionable

Namco managed to make the upgrade a worse deal if you had already given them a bunch of money for the game. Well played guys, really.

If I were you, I would probably just go play through DS2 and the DLC since you already own them.

I agree with this.

Then, if you want to start a new character or a replay down the line, try to get a good price during a holiday sale.

gogosox82

I am sure it's been asked 100 times in this thread but it's hard to find with how may pages there are.

For PC users what's the general consensus on if it's worth upgrading for $20? I have not beaten Dark Souls 2 yet or any of the DLC but do own it. I don't really do PVP so I don't care about the multiplayer enhancements. As of now, it seems like it's not really worth it for what seems like minor graphic enhancements but it's really hard to tell. Is that the case?

Consensus is basically its a good deal for people who didn't get any of the dlc, pretty shitty deal if you did buy all of the dlc like you did. I would just play dark souls 2 vanilla with the dlc if I were you. There haven't been that many changes as far as I can tell that would make it worth buying at $20. Either that or wait for a sale. Summer sale should be coming up soon away.

gogosox82

Do stamina regen items not stack?

Yes they stack. I usually use cholranty ring +2 and green blossoms and keep my equip load low. There are shields you can use like the blossom kite shield that regen your stamina as well. Just keep in mind that equip load effects how fast your stamina regens.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The second one is stupid easy.

Yes they stack. I usually use cholranty ring +2 and green blossoms and keep my equip load low. There are shields you can use like the blossom kite shield that regen your stamina as well. Just keep in mind that equip load effects how fast your stamina regens.

Thanks.

I'm using chloryanthy ring and shield of the insolent.

KiKaL

questionable

Awesome, thanks for the advice. That is what I am going to do then.

So I'm curious how many people are planning on using the agape ring to stop their soul memory? I'm sitting at SL 210 and SM 5.4 Mil and wondering if I should go ahead and equip it at the next tier barrier or just level to top tier. As far as I can tell there's not really a new established meta at the moment.

SledgeGBay

Neo Member
Because it's a tiny little bar that blended in with the UI and weapon image for me. I never ran into durability issues on my pre-SotFS playthroughs so I was never concerned with my durability anyway. Oh well, I was happy to find it being there but apparently it's common knowledge so whatever.

If it makes you feel any better I had no idea about it either until you mentioned it! I didn't even recognize there were bars there.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Alright, so.... After not really digging this game initially (coming off Bloodborne), 60 hours in, I can confidently say this game is great. Better to me than Dark Souls 1, even. It's just so different. Already realize I'm gonna finish it and start NG+ immediately. Glad I gave this game a second chance.

Dawg

He is at the short cut door in the caves.

It's
just beyond the door you need to open to open up the shortcut from the cell where you meet Creighton to the boss fog. From the fog door leading to the Skeleton Lords go into the cave behind the waterfall, kill the necromancer and skeletons inside, and you should see Creighton's summoning sign near the lever you pull to open the shortcut gate.

You also need to have spoken to Creighton after rescuing him and either died or rested at a bonfire so that he disappears from the cell. If you've done all that you should be able to find his sign. He and the other NPC you can summon can pretty much handle the
Skeleton Lords
with no assistance from you, should you be the sort who enjoys forcing AIs to fight one another for your amusement.

That's what I did.
I rescued him, talked to him, teleported to Majula and back, checked the cell and he was gone. But his sign was not at the shortcut. I must have ran through those caves twenty times to find him :p The only thing I saw at the shortcut gate was a player message saying "lever!". Very strange. In the end, I decided to kill the boss on my own. Was very easy anyway. I just hope not summoning him doesn't break any questline or whatever.

addyb

Wow the dlc is much harder for me. Finally battled my way to the final boss of sunken king and I'm fast running out of effigies. Is there anywhere you can buy/farm them in the main game? I've already bought the 3 of the old hag and got the ones from killing the women in things betwixt.

Not sure what to do after the dlc is done.

Options are:

Carry on with BB playthrough (left it at rom to start DSII)

Or install DS on pc and play through that?

NEO0MJ

Wow the dlc is much harder for me. Finally battled my way to the final boss of sunken king and I'm fast running out of effigies. Is there anywhere you can buy/farm them in the main game? I've already bought the 3 of the old hag and got the ones from killing the women in things betwixt.

Why would you do that?!

You can buy more from Grave Warden Agdayne or return human by simply visiting that statue in Shrine of Amana that's reached by going up the stairs after the boss.

Are you talking about the ps4/one versions? Basicalling I'm wonder how much the free update does I guess.
Yes, talking about the PS4/Xbone/DX11 standalone new version.

The PS3/360 last gen versions with the free update = balance patch and the new end game boss only. All the other additions are current gen only.

addyb

Why would you do that?!

You can buy more from Grave Warden Agdayne or return human by simply visiting that statue in Shrine of Amana that's reached by going up the stairs after the boss.

I've finished the main game so have no need for them anymore. Wasn't aware of that statue to be honest.

addyb

I guess I feel that the ability to change your specs with a Soul Vessel more beneficial than a human effigy.

Oh without a doubt it is. I've respecced twice in my main playthrough. I'm at the end of the dlc now so this will be it for me unless I decide to do ng+ but that will probably be after I playthrough dark souls and BB.

Bloody PS3 controler on my laptop keeps disconnecting and being a pain in the ass. Some days I boot up, 1 light on ready to go and its all good all day.
Othertimes like today at first it does not connect,then its just 4 flashing lights, then blank then maybe it will work for abit the disconnect mid-fight.

Spent 40mins trying to run the path to the chariot to then get whacked by the phantom, now i cheesed him with poison arrows I cant go back to fight the boss cos the damn controller wont work.

addyb

Sorry I know I've asked this before. Dark souls prepare to die edition on pc. Is it just the dsfix mod I need? I take it the 360 pad works fine with it.

SkylineRKR

Really enjoyed the battle against AD.

I knew what to expect and I saw the area with lots of passive dudes (which I suspect are going mad once you start), so I was bent on one shotting him which I did. I could survive one blast so there wasn't much to worry about. I wasn't too greedy, and whenever he flapped I booked it. Actually liked it.

I feel he is nerfed though I haven't played vanilla, but the radius wasn't obscenely big.

Really enjoyed the battle against AD.

I knew what to expect and I saw the area with lots of passive dudes (which I suspect are going mad once you start), so I was bent on one shotting him which I did. I could survive one blast so there wasn't much to worry about. I wasn't too greedy, and whenever he flapped I booked it. Actually liked it.

I feel he is nerfed though I haven't played vanilla, but the radius wasn't obscenely big.

The old fight the ground blast one shotted you at most levels of fire resistance. I think one strategy was using the gyrm greatshield to tank through it. Gower's ring is how I beat it with bracing knuckle ring.

The radius wasn't a huge deal but sometimes the dragon would change where he shot the flames, it was weird and erratic. You could be doing fine the whole fight then the next time he spit his flame breath it would be right ontop of you instead of below him. Also the run to the dragon was annoying as hell, there weren't as many of those yellow knights, but there was like 6 of them up the stairs that attacked you, a long with two giant guys.

I can't say I'm nostalgic for the fight. It wasn't ever complex but just one of those fights if you mess up once you were dead and it was a 3 minute run through back where you might die. I don't mind challenging bosses but when they pair it with tedious clears, that's the worst.

Robot Pants

Haven't finished Crown of the Old Iron King yet, but boy did I like the level design in the Sunken King better.
I thought sunken King DLC was the best of the three. Iron King was close second though.

Never understood the fume knight difficulty complaints though. Beat him on my second try.
Burnt Ivory King however....

SkylineRKR

Jesus christ, just beat the Sunken Crown boss,
Sinh

Is the rest of the DLC this good? I mean that was one of the best boss battles I played in the franchise.

Really, SotfS on Ps4 might sway my opinion and place this above Bloodborne. No problem summoning, shitload of weapons and builds to tinker with... Can't wait for BB DLC though, if Artorias and the Crowns are any indication I can kiss my social life goodbye.

Seeing as I killed the birdwoman weapons trader by accident and before she moves.. should I just feed all my boss souls to straid for his weapons and worry about the rest on NG+?

Been using the spear you have to break today, bit of a beast but takes some getting used to over a small hammer and Im pretty sure ive not fully grasped the move set et either but there we go.

Haven't finished Crown of the Old Iron King yet, but boy did I like the level design in the Sunken King better.

I think Sunken King has my favorite areas in the entire Souls series. Exploring that place felt like an adventure like no other. Visually incredible and chocked full of fun things to explore. That
moment when you arrive and first see the tower- like structures and connecting bridges from a distance and know that you will be exploring that complex took my breath away.
It all felt so tangible and well-realized as a location. I can almost imagine the feel of the cold damp stonework.

Top Bottom