• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rizific

so ive been getting smashed by smelter for the past two days. what makes it a chore is having to clear all those mobs before getting in another attempt. is there no way to run and skip those fuckers? ive tried and just get chopped up.

Fisty

Got the Platinum on PS4, just over 90 hours. As a Souls game, it was a mixed bag. Level design was pretty linear, and the abundance of bonfires just goes to illustrate the lack of shortcuts and "circular" design. The DLC areas were fantastic, however, and given the problems in the early development phase, I'd say its likely that Tanimura has a good handle on what it takes to make a Souls game. Dark Souls 3 could be the next DMC3, and at least we didnt get a completely aborted second entry to get to 3.

Wagram

So what order in terms of difficulty would you folks rate the DLC bosses?

Crown of the Sunken King:

Sinh (really tough) > Elana (tough) > Gank Squad (medium).

Crown of the Old Iron King:

Fume Knight (really tough) > Smelter Demon (tough) > Sir Alonne (Below Medium).

Crown of the Ivory King:

Lud and Zallen (Ridiculous due to weather) > Aava (medium) > Burnt Ivory King (Below Medium).

Scholar of the First Sin:

Aldia (below medium).

Fume Knight (really tough) > Smelter Demon (tough) > Sir Alonne (Below Medium).

Crown of the Ivory King:

Lud and Zallen (Ridiculous due to weather) > Aava (medium) > Burnt Ivory King (Below Medium).

Aldia (below medium).

Looks good to me, but I would put the
Ivory King above Aava. The 5 minute fight that takes place every time before he spawns made that battle a pain.

akira28

And this is a bad thing how?

True, it does just seem like a Dark Souls kind of thing at a certain point. The pain is real though. Trying to get to a boss with your favorite weapon and by the time you're there it's down to a nub. Repair Powder is expensive, so you better have a few favorite go-to killers, really.

HeelPower

Amana isn't that bad anymore, but I guess it's hard to feel this way unless you experienced it last year, console release, pre-patch/pc.

Just went through Amana yesterday and I don't understand why people think its easier.

It feels the same to me...And a bow still seems necessary.

Some things might even be a touch harder because of some new enemies.

Novocaine

True, it does just seem like a Dark Souls kind of thing at a certain point. The pain is real though. Trying to get to a boss with your favorite weapon and by the time you're there it's down to a nub. Repair Powder is expensive, so you better have a few favorite go-to killers, really.

I'm not a fan of the weapon degradation speed. But it encouraged me to drop soap stones around more often. I never really had any troubles with breaking weapons combining that with the Bracing Knuckle Ring.

Any tips for smelter? I'm shieldless sword wielder, two handing the falchion which is at +7 right now. My stamina is great, I'm built for rolling as my primary means of defense and speed attacks.

klee123

Any tips for smelter? I'm shieldless sword wielder, two handing the falchion which is at +7 right now. My stamina is great, I'm built for rolling as my primary means of defense and speed attacks.

If you have good fire defense, the fight will be much easier for the 2nd phase where he casts a constant aoe which continuously do fire damage to you if you stand close to him. Items such as flame quartz ring and small orange burr will help.

If you use Pyromancy, flash sweat also works wonders.

ike_

That durability patch must be live for PS4 at this point right? I beat both Sinh and Fume tonight with my rapier not even coming close to breaking (which has been very close to breaking for me in PvE many times).

hh2qTr7.jpg

WyA8RHr.jpg

Sinh has never not broken my mace before, and Fume would always bring it pretty close. Weird not needing a secondary weapon queued up for these bosses.

rhandino

Banned

It's funny, I actually had more problems with
Elana
and her Pyromancies than with
Sinh
and found that the path to
Gank Squad
was more difficult that the fight itself...

Still struggling with
Fume Knight
on Iron King, Need to practice a little more =P

Just went through Amana yesterday and I don't understand why people think its easier.

It feels the same to me...And a bow still seems necessary.

Some things might even be a touch harder because of some new enemies.
Maybe I am crazy but I think that they made Amala like it was before the nerf... because the spells now have that crazy tracking back and months ago when I was there with my Faith build I didn't have trouble with them X_x

HeelPower

Maybe I am crazy but I think that they made Amala like it was before the nerf... because the spells now have that crazy tracking back and months ago when I was there with my Faith build I didn't have trouble with them X_x

I definitely noticed the tracking.

I played Amana on the super vanilla version and then straight to here for my second run.

Its not any easier.You gotta be careful and get a bow.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

This order is entirely backwards for me. Sinh was by far the simplest with attacks that are very manageable to avoid and handle. Soloed it with ease and felt like a joke compared to the less predictable elana just prior. Gank squad is absolutely brutal for my dex build however. The limitless stamina they have(ugh) and the low survivability of your companions makes that fight one of the toughest to negotiate in the entire game! Oh and the boss run is garbage too...

If you have good fire defense, the fight will be much easier for the 2nd phase where he casts a constant aoe which continuously do fire damage to you if you stand close to him. Items such as flame quartz ring and small orange burr will help.

If you use Pyromancy, flash sweat also works wonders.

Awesome thank you, I'll try that. I'm not sure If I have that ring yet, I'll check when I get home tonight.

Neoweee

That durability patch must be live for PS4 at this point right? I beat both Sinh and Fume tonight with my rapier not even coming close to breaking (which has been very close to breaking for me in PvE many times).

Sinh has never not broken my mace before, and Fume would always bring it pretty close. Weird not needing a secondary weapon queued up for these bosses.

No, not live yet.

- Sinh has a durability degradation mechanic. His head is soft, his body is stone. If you land head hits, there is basically no risk, at all, of your weapon breaking, and the mechanic does not depend on framerate at all anyhow.

- There is nothing at all in the Fume fight that would make a rapier break, not at 60 fps, not at 30 fps. What corpses and walls would you be hitting during that fight?

ike_

No, not live yet.

- Sinh has a durability degradation mechanic. His head is soft, his body is stone. If you land head hits, there is basically no risk, at all, of your weapon breaking, and the mechanic does not depend on framerate at all.

- There is nothing at all in the Fume fight that would make a rapier break, not at 60 fps, not at 30 fps. What corpses and walls would you be hitting during that fight?

I didn't know about that for Sinh, that's interesting. For him I focus on the body though, I don't think you can lock on to the head can you? It would be harder to noscope with a rapier. ~5 attempts and not a single warning about durability was a first for me though.

For Fume maybe he has better strike resist (vs mace) so rapier requires fewer hits. Mace has more durability than rapiers though, which leaves me confused. I'll have to pay more attention next time.

Neoweee

I didn't know about that for Sinh, that's interesting. For him I focus on the body though, I don't think you can lock on to the head can you? It would be harder to noscope with a rapier. ~5 attempts and not a single warning about durability was a first for me though.

For Fume maybe he has better strike resist (vs mace) so rapier requires fewer hits. Mace has more durability than rapiers though, which leaves me confused. I'll have to pay more attention next time.

Yeah, you can't lock on to Sinh's head, but you can still hit it if you position yourself relative to your lock point.

Sinh and the King's Pets have soft heads and hard bodies, to discourage the Souls-standard of "hit their asses" for quadrupedal enemies.

Durability loss is usually only around 0.5 durability per hit, and no boss takes 80~100~120 hits to kill if it is just them alone. If you've killed enemies or lost durability on the way to Fume, sure, but the fight alone isn't going to take 80 hits. Sinh and Aava are freebies due to the bonfire placement-- as long as you aren't focusing the body, you won't get breakage.

Jin

I've got the gist of the fume fight after a couple more attempts. I keep getting caught with no stamina though, holy shit.

You'll get there. Are you using a shield? I two-handed that fight on this second phase because I find blocking does nothing but drain even more stamina. I learn his pattern after 10+ tries and just roll roll roll. That guy is an asshole.

You'll get there. Are you using a shield? I two-handed that fight on this second phase because I find blocking does nothing but drain even more stamina. I learn his pattern after 10+ tries and just roll roll roll. That guy is an asshole.

Yeah just rolling. A lot of the time by the time I get to an opening I can't get a hit in with enough stamina to roll away. I reckon I switch to the cloranthy ring instead of the ring of blades I'm using now.

I didn't mind the durability thing at all in this version. If anything it forced me to utilize two different weapons and added a new survival aspect to the game. In vanilla DS2 I never had a single weapon break outside of acid damaging it. And the bonfires repair your gear and there are plenty of repair powders to be had. I am sure some will find it ruined the game for them but I found it to be a welcome addition. Not knocking those that it effected but I found it was kinda overblown personally.

same here. beat the game including dlc. no problems at all.

Beat fume. I left the game and got something to eat, when I came back i forgot to switch my sound output back to my speakers and did it without any volume. Go it on the second try without sound. Would have been the first but I stupidly went for a 3 hit combo to close it out and ate a huge hit. Really helped me focus on what he was doing. The enraged stabs kept getting me before but then I realized he does a little running wind up which I didn't pick up on earlier. I don't think there are any significant audio cues tbh

Onto DLC 3 now. Can I use my magic again yet?

for my builds and playstyle

Sinh (easy-medium) > Elana (medium-hard) > Gank Squad (easy-medium).

Fume Knight (medium) > Smelter Demon (hard) > Sir Alonne (easy-medium).

Crown of the Ivory King:

Lud and Zallen (hard) > Aava (easy-medium) > Burnt Ivory King (medium).

Aldia (easy-medium).

rhandino

Banned
Crown of the Iron King spoilers, I guess...

Finally, the
Fume Knight
is no more...

9Z6MDrO.gif

Was one of the most frustating yet FUN bosses in the game tbqh, he made me sweat bullets every time he
buffed his sword with fire
or prepared to unleash his
explosion of fire + fireballs
... The fact that I received one of his weapons, his badass armor and
The Iron Crown
was just nice.

Now, let me tell you something, Memory of the Iron King? This area can fuck itself. The boss at the end is incredible fun yet the travel to the fog gate is annoying and hair pulling
(A bunch of Samurais + Fire Lizards is NOT GOOD ENEMY PLACEMENT!)
Oh! and who the fuck thought that having to pass 2 load times to get to him was a good idea?

Onto DLC 3 now. Can I use my magic again yet?
No, you are going to keep struggling because this DLC is just for cool people who play physical builds...

I explored a bit, it seems most enemies are weak to Pyromancy =P

Oh yeah, guess I'm not done. Went back to the suit of samurai gear and I can enter that memory now too. Fuck whoever did the enemy placement here in the ass. It's just fucking dumb. I found out that these are supposed to be coop areas with the statue things. Who gives a shit? These enemies are nothing but a nuisance and having more people would make only a milder nuisance but a nuisance nonetheless. Haven't I made it clear I can dispatch this amount of enemies on multiple occasions? I'm being annoyed to death.

Compare the end of DS with the 5 Black Knights before Gwyn. Huge spacing between them, difficult to agro more than one at a time. If the DS2 guys designed that area I'm sure there would be 20.

Trakan

Now, let me tell you something, Memory of the Iron King? This area can fuck itself. The boss at the end is incredible fun yet the travel to the fog gate is annoying and hair pulling
Oh! and who the fuck thought that having to pass 2 load times to get to him was a good idea?

Hmm? I don't remember having to go through two loading screens, unless you're talking about warping to the bonfire outside him. Also, you don't have to fight the Alonne Knights while anywhere near the Salamanders.

phoenixyz

The way to the
DLC Smelter Demon
was much worse imho. This lever pulling shit was incredibly bad.

Ugh, K
ing
V
endrick
is kicking my ass consistently. I should go to bed and try again in the morning, wanted to get him down before starting NG+

Trakan

Ugh, K
ing
V
endrick
is kicking my ass consistently. I should go to bed and try again in the morning, wanted to get him down before starting NG+

Hug his left leg, and roll foward (not sideways) so you're behind him when he swings at you. He'll never hit you.

Maedre

Banned
This order is entirely backwards for me. Sinh was by far the simplest with attacks that are very manageable to avoid and handle. Soloed it with ease and felt like a joke compared to the less predictable elana just prior. Gank squad is absolutely brutal for my dex build however. The limitless stamina they have(ugh) and the low survivability of your companions makes that fight one of the toughest to negotiate in the entire game! Oh and the boss run is garbage too...

YES, gank squad was so hard for me. The rest was easy in comparison.

Forever Alonne down. That was a pretty fun fight. Stamina management was a big issue. Had to let a lot of openings go because I couldn't dodge the follow up. Eventually figured out how to avoid the stupid dash slash.
The delayed dash doesn't cover as much distance as the quick one so whenever he goes into the stance just dodge back immediately and both will miss
. When I did beat him I didn't get hit outside of an errant slash right near the end, didn't have to heal. Speaking of healing I'm pretty sure all my deaths were estus related.

After the fight I got another smelter wedge which I'm not sure what to do with. That's all the bosses down and I've still got 2. What do I do with them?

SkylineRKR

You probably missed a few Smelter Wedge locations. I used every one of them. There is one close to the foyer bonfire, where you will be cursed down the stairs. That one is easily missable. Another 2 are in optional towers bound by huge chains outside the main building, one of them can be reached by not going into the foyer mist door but taking the stairs up (easy to miss).

Alonne took me more tries than Fume, though I also died on the way there a few times.

Alonne's timing was somewhat borked, but he doesn't have much to go for. Fume has more moves, but I found him easier after the buff.

klee123

Main game plus all DLC fully complete!

Really enjoyed it and whilst I still rank the others higher than DS2, I did like the fact that in terms of amount of content, DS2 really delivered in spades.

Would have been my GOTY of 2014 easy.

Sanctuary

I was considering getting this just for the remix, but I have to ask the question that I'm sure has already been asked hundreds of times:

Does the new lighting actually improve the atmosphere compared to what GeDoSaTo could already do with the postprocessing, or does it make it too bright in most areas, somewhat killing the atmosphere? Screenshots don't really show much, and I don't like watching playthroughs.

sonny4p

I'm enjoying this game much more than BB. The different armor sets and number of attributes to level up makes the grind enjoyable. I am liking this just as much as the first DSouls.. I just got to the Lost Bastille. I am still wondering why some folks are so down on this. The graphics makes this very immersive for me so no complaints so far......

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I was considering getting this just for the remix, but I have to ask the question that I'm sure has already been asked hundreds of times:

Does the new lighting actually improve the atmosphere compared to what GeDoSaTo could already do with the postprocessing, or does it make it too bright in most areas, somewhat killing the atmosphere? Screenshots don't really show much, and I don't like watching playthroughs.

Never tried the PC port of DS2, but the torch is now actually useful on PS4. Any locations meant to be dark are actually blinding to run through without a torch. Mostly blackness where in vanilla it felt greyed over with full visibility of the environment.

The torch effect itself is stunning always, even in bright areas, the lighting is brilliant looking and never takes away from the visual aesthetic. Assuming the PC mod futzed with normal conditions as you describe, this is not the case here even using a torch in pure daylight.

rhandino

Banned
Sir Alonne
defeated!!! I found weird that instead of normal death he
killed himself at the end
WTH!

The key is stamina management it seems and this was a good fight to re-learn that sometimes an opening is better used for healing than to try to get that last hit =P

Oh, and that attack
similar to the one used by the Pursuer that even buff his sword, yikes...
I can see people accusing From of "bad hitboxes" here but I noticed that even if the sword scratch my feet
I get full the impaled animation.
so it seems more a problem of the animation? or that a scratch only need to do massive damage instead of THAT... idk.

Now, let's see how bad is the optional boss in the
Iron Passage
x_x

Hmm? I don't remember having to go through two loading screens, unless you're talking about warping to the bonfire outside him. Also, you don't have to fight the Alonne Knights while anywhere near the Salamanders.
Oh, I counted 2 (Death load screen and warping load screen) and I despawned almost all the enemies there but used the souls to buy some bosses armor and weapons since I am at level 180 =P

The way to the
DLC Smelter Demon
was much worse imho. This lever pulling shit was incredibly bad.
T_T

AJLma

The lighting just looks better overall. The tone of the game is different in places, but it seems to be really dark where they intend for it to be dark.

A lot has been said about the importance of putting points into ADR and increasing your agility. And consequently then not relying on a shield.

It's just so interesting to see how time and time again as I play through this game this notion is further reiterated.

I was helping people with the DLC Smelter Demon fight, and this guy who was rocking havel gear with a shield just had problems with him. After several co-op attempts, I just told him to stay on the outside and use long-range attacks and I'll take care of the rest with my evasions + strength build.

Relying on a shield has so many negatives.

1) It creates a passive play style. And although not so much like Bloodborne, sometimes being aggressive does play a benefit in Dark Souls 2. When you rely on the shield too much, you'll eventually run into a situation when your stamina breaks and then you're fucked, pretty much against a boss.

2) You're heavy, low stamina recharge ,can't two hand or dual wield weapons, making your playstyle predictable, which is a negative in PvP.

3) You then have to invest points into areas outside of str, dex, int, and fth. Tank builds need then high HP because they can't rely on evasion. You need high stamina so that shield drain from shield use won't leave you staggered. And you probably put in quite a few points into vitality to increase equipment load to avoid the fat roll. Like I said this prevents you from putting points into other "cooler" areas. Mind you, by the time you get NG+ you're at such a high level you can start soft-capping essentially all stats...

4) You stop playing the game, and you become more of a stamina bar lawyer. Granted, micro-managing your stamina bar in regards to stamina depletion from shield defense, to attacking, to slow recharge with shield up, to fast recharge with shield down, sort of becomes a mini-game in of itself....

I remember in OG Dark Souls 2 I couldn't beat Venderick and the Ancient Dragon. Granted, I didn't try that many times, maybe only a few times on each, but I realized that relying on a shield just made me a shitty Dark Souls player. If my shield and stamina management tactics couldn't cut it, I wouldn't know how to beat a boss. You loss that 'offensive' confidence that an evasion build brings. Venderick hits hard and so does the Ancient Dragon. So even if you shield takes the brunt of it your stamina is drained.

Anyway, I beat Venderick and the Ancient Dragon. And I did so on the second attempt on each. I think playing through the DLC might have made me over-leveled a little. But by and large the biggest reason the Ancient Dragon was so easy was because I have high faith and wore the fire quartz ring +3, so my fire defense was high so he couldn't one shot me.

King Venderick

Ancient Dragon
- also, can anyone explain to me wtf just happened at the 1:10 mark? o_O

Kama_1082

Banned
Forlorn is pissing me off. I'm trying to enter the castle and this asshole keeps invading me. Is this always gonna happen? After a while does he not show up?

BouncyFrag

I just reached Black Gulch. The area looks fantastic but its pretty fucking creepy. I'm getting sick of getting poisoned since I'm holding onto the few bits of poison moss I have left and the only merchant who sells it has run off somewhere again.

Kama_1082

Banned
I just reached Black Gulch. The area looks fantastic but its pretty fucking creepy. I'm getting sick of getting poisoned since I'm holding onto the few bits of poison moss I have left and the only merchant who sells it has run off somewhere again.
Make sure you look closely for the 2nd bonfire.

Make sure you look closely for the 2nd bonfire.

wait, whaaaaat? luckily i was able to beat the rotten in 4-5 tries, but i did it by running to the mist and having to heal up before entering because i was poisoned.

i wonder if i missed anything else in that area

Top Bottom