• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah grab attacks have always sucked in Souls games. Bloodborne also has a bunch of shitty ones (the Cainhurst gargoyle grab, ugh, so annoying). Alonne's buffing sword attack is ironically one of the less offending ones, I feel the Pursuer curse stab, Aava's grab and the hippo grab are worse somehow.

Fhtagn

Yeah grab attacks have always sucked in Souls games. Bloodborne also has a bunch of shitty ones (the Cainhurst gargoyle grab, ugh, so annoying). Alonne's buffing sword attack is ironically one of the less offending ones, I feel the Pursuer curse stab, Aava's grab and the hippo grab are worse somehow.

I was thinking about why it bothers me so much more than any of the grabs in Bloodborne (though my memory of the Caunhurst one is shakey and it could be a lot worse than I remember; I am not too bothered by the brainsuckers or the insect dudes, though I'd be happy if grab attacks disappeared from the series entirely) and I realized the obvious: the sin of a bad grab can be exponentially inflated by context. So the Pursuer's curse stab is egregious, but is nothing compared to the hippo grab. The hippo grab is the worst because it has huge invisible range AND it's a one hit kill even with 40 vigor and decent armor. If it was perfect and never vacuumed the player, it'd be ok to be a one hit kill, I guess, but as a vacuum grab it's unforgivable.

With Sir Alonne, the context is that the fight is already crazy effin' difficult and dodge rolling a foot to the front and side such that you get hit because you touched an invisible hitbox around the hilt of the sword and get shot through the air four feet to suddenly be impaled feels like cheap bullshit and throws me off my game. Usually ruining that attempt at surviving what ended up being a 5 minute fight in my successful fight. I saved video of a few times it happened where it was especially egregious feeling.

spliced

What a ride! I finally finished all the DLC stuff and the vast majority of it was absolutely fantastic. I tried to stay unspoiled as best I could and for the most part I did. I think Sunken King and Old Iron King were the better ones. Sunken King felt very consistent to me, it never had any let downs. Old Iron King had the most stand out moments, the scenery was superb, Maldron that NPC was a total weasel(in a good way) the enemies were fresh and creative and the bosses were amazing. Sir Alonne is my favorite but Fume was great too, they were tough but in an enjoyable fun way. Ivory King was mostly good except for the Frigid Outskirts which is pure garbage, I hate having my sight taken away it takes all the fun out of it for me. It was just a pure chore and is easily the worst part of DS2 and one of the worst areas in the series. I didn't really like the main crystal soldier enemies or the retainer enemies that much for whatever reason, they just seemed kinda dull. Other than that Ivory King was fun, it really felt big and it gave me some bloodborne vibes.

I liked the visual clues they gave for walls you could open and I hope they continue that in some form for DS3. I'm glad the BB expansion is coming soon because I'm hungry for more new Souls/BB content. Until then I'll have to check out what I missed and what the deal is with some of this equipment I got in the DLC.

Fhtagn

I decided to fire up the ole PS3 to see what Dark Souls 2 actually looked like on it, after spending the last few weeks playing SOTFS on PS4...

Wow. It looks sooooo much worse. It really is incredible how gnarly and pixelated it is. I knew that already but now I really know.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Experienced a sudden spike in difficulty at the beginning of Dragon Shrine. The dragon knight dudes hit hard and have a lot of HP. But I was able to handle them two at a time...it wasn't until I reached the place with about eight of them that I started to worry. My attempt at fighting the horde did not go well.

Turns out they're actually not hostile. I kept aggroing them by sniping to start the fight. Now I feel dumb.

spliced

They'll also get mad and agro if you don't kill the drakekeeper enemies. I tried to quickly run up to the Ancient Dragon and when I looked behind me I saw an a way bigger mob coming after me than I was expecting.

Cat Party

Experienced a sudden spike in difficulty at the beginning of Dragon Shrine. The dragon knight dudes hit hard and have a lot of HP. But I was able to handle them two at a time...it wasn't until I reached the place with about eight of them that I started to worry. My attempt at fighting the horde did not go well.

Turns out they're actually not hostile. I kept aggroing them by sniping to start the fight. Now I feel dumb.

Does it depend on whether you are wearing the King's Ring? They were always aggro in vanilla DS2, but when I played through in SOTFS, they weren't. But I was wearing the King's Ring this time, so I don't know if that was the difference.

I also noticed that the stone statutes don't automatically come to life in Drangleic Castle if you're wearing the King's Ring.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Does it depend on whether you are wearing the King's Ring? They were always aggro in vanilla DS2, but when I played through in SOTFS, they weren't. But I was wearing the King's Ring this time, so I don't know if that was the difference.

I also noticed that the stone statutes don't automatically come to life in Drangleic Castle if you're wearing the King's Ring.
No, the ring is irrelevant, they're just changes in Scholar.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So what is the ultimate tactic to defeat the darklurker for a melee build? Best weapon/armor/buff etc. I've tried everything
Red iron twinblade + brightbug = win everything

For Darklurker specifically, infuse it with fire or lightning and, if you have the spell and stats, buff it with Flame weapon or Sunlight blade (respectively). If no infusions, you can use resin instead.

Red iron twinblade + brightbug = win everything

For Darklurker specifically, infuse it with fire or lightning and, if you have the spell and stats, buff it with Flame weapon or Sunlight blade (respectively). If no infusions, you can use resin instead.

Never used the brightbug (actually never heard of it or maybe i just don't remember), thanks. I will try this.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Note, the brightbug won't stack with another defensive buff such as Great Magic Barrier, a green blossom, or the Denial miracle (among others). But it doubles your damage dealt and reduces your damage received in half. It lasts 2 minutes, too. It's stupidly good, which is why it's fairly rare and can't be used during a coop session.

Note, the brightbug won't stack with another defensive buff such as Great Magic Barrier, a green blossom, or the Denial miracle (among others). But it doubles your damage dealt and reduces your damage received in half. It lasts 2 minutes, too. It's stupidly good, which is why it's fairly rare and can't be used during a coop session.
They are fun to use and watch bosses explode.

Probably the only reason i beat the ivory king was a brightbug though.

Cat Party

I've only ever beat Darklurker with (mainly) miracles/pyromancy. But I suspect you can score a double hit when it splits with a horizontal strike from a greatsword.

Finalow

I might buy this, already played it on ps3 and pc but I never played the dlcs. also I remember the pvp being very unbalanced and fucked up but still fun so I'd go back into that as well. 60fps is nice too

some questions though. do I need ps+ to play online both co-op and pvp? (edit/ yes I do) Again I haven't played since months before the dlcs came out so I missed a lot of patches and stuff, are hexes still unbalanced as I remember them and what would be now a fun&great build (no idea what are now the new broken spells/weapons either) for pvp? And did the soul memory ring somehow fix that godawful system?

GulAtiCa

Liking the new enemy placements. Keeping me on my toes. I actually kinda find the new placements to be more fair. Though...

WTF is up with NPC Invader Armour Dennis??? lol. Guy is destroying me with spells and fast sword swings.. Seems like the NPC invader AI is better too. And lol at him taunting me after killing me.

Liking the new enemy placements. Keeping me on my toes. I actually kinda find the new placements to be more fair. Though...

WTF is up with NPC Invader Armour Dennis??? lol. Guy is destroying me with spells and fast sword swings.. Seems like the NPC invader AI is better too. And lol at him taunting me after killing me.

That's probably the most difficult npc invasion in the game imo due to how under leveled you are when you encounter him.

Best thing to do is fight him in the room he spawns in where the giant tree is and 2h him down while dodging.

Finalow

this thread sure is dead. no one still playing this for pvp?

cut - haven't played since months before the dlcs came out so I missed a lot of patches and stuff, are hexes still unbalanced as I remember them and what would be now a fun&great build (no idea what are now the new broken spells/weapons either) for pvp? And did the soul memory ring somehow fix that godawful system?
anyone? :'(

Ferr986

didn't try an hexes build on SOTFS (yet). The ring somewhat fixes SM yeah, people put it on whenever they want to cap their character at a lvl. Most PVP players already know the game so they don't waste much souls, so the SM tier you cap will probably be shared by a lot of people with your same level.
Also arenas are SL based.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I think PvP is still moderately active on the Iron Bridge at high SMs. I think the thread is dead 'cause most people had already played vanilla DS2 and then moved on to Bloodborne, but I still play and enjoy Scholar from time to time.

Hexes are more balanced now. They're still powerful, but not absurdly so. I think they're tons of fun, myself.

Also arenas are SL based.
Oh? I didn't know that. You sure?

Ferr986

Oh? I didn't know that. You sure?

Supposedly. But I swear I get wrecked by people way out of my league all the time. Maybe it searches for the same SL for a while, then goes for whatever.

This is how it is, it first matches by SL, and if it doesnt find anyone then it just matches you with whatever.
If you see it takes long to match, restart.

SL 150 seems a populated level in the arena.

What's the best way to get Titanite in this game? I think I'm making decent progress in the game, I have two of the main souls and I think I'm close to getting my third. I'm thinking my current armor should basically last me to the end of the game, I'm using the Elite Knight set with a different body piece (I think it's called Syan's Armor or something like that).

I want to upgrade everything but never find enough Titanite. My body armor is +5 and I think my legs and gauntlets are both +1 but that's it as far as upgrading.

daxy

What's the best way to get Titanite in this game? I think I'm making decent progress in the game, I have two of the main souls and I think I'm close to getting my third. I'm thinking my current armor should basically last me to the end of the game, I'm using the Elite Knight set with a different body piece (I think it's called Syan's Armor or something like that).

I want to upgrade everything but never find enough Titanite. My body armor is +5 and I think my legs and gauntlets are both +1 but that's it as far as upgrading.

Unlimited Titanite shards can be bought from Stone Trader Chloanne after clearing Iron Keep, same for large Titanite shards from McGuff as soon as you meet him (easy to get to from the connection in that piratey cave). Chunks can be gotten relatively easily from farming those hand creatures in Black Gulch. The rest (twinkling/slab) are kind of a pain in the ass and are later in the game. You can get a lot of the rare resources in Brume Tower (DLC) though.

Also, don't upgrade everything, especially the stuff requiring twinkling. It's not worth it at all considering how scarce the upgrade materials are. Not all can be gotten infinitely, I think it's the boss soul upgrade items that are limited.
You're better off trying to find better armor.

Unlimited Titanite shards can be bought from Stone Trader Chloanne after clearing Iron Keep, same for large Titanite shards from McGuff as soon as you meet him (easy to get to from the connection in that piratey cave). Chunks can be gotten relatively easily from farming those hand creatures in Black Gulch. The rest (twinkling/slab) are kind of a pain in the ass and are later in the game. You can get a lot of the rare resources in Brume Tower (DLC) though.

Also, don't upgrade everything, especially the stuff requiring twinkling. It's not worth it at all considering how scarce the upgrade materials are. Not all can be gotten infinitely, I think it's the boss soul upgrade items that are limited.
You're better off trying to find better armor.

Thanks. I haven't been to Iron Keep yet, I'll keep an eye open for that.

I've actually already been thinking about switching weapons, I'm using some sort of lightning hand-axe, I can't remember exactly what it's called, seemed like a good choice since I'm doing a Strength/ Faith build but the Twinkling Titanite is so rare I think I'd be doing more damage with a weapon that was easier to upgrade.

Raide

Ok, sunk about 200+ hours into the PC Dark Souls. Is DS2:SotfS worth getting before DS3 comes out? Help off due to time constraints but I would like another game to sink some time into.

Ok, sunk about 200+ hours into the PC Dark Souls. Is DS2:SotfS worth getting before DS3 comes out? Help off due to time constraints but I would like another game to sink some time into.
Yep. It's fantastic. I put about 200 hours into SotFS.

I prefer DS2 over 1 to play. Story, location, and bosses are better in 1, but 2 just plays better to me.

Arjen

Been playing this for the last couple of days because i needed my souls fix.
Already 100% vanilla of 360 and pretty close to the platinum now. Is there any other way to get hidden weapon other then ranking up in the bell covenant?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Hey dudes...

I just really started this game even though I got Black Armor Edition day one. But it's not SotFS. Is that a problem? I'm assuming when it updated it still got the updated enemy placement etc. PS3 btw.

I like it! Don't mind the things that I saw others complain about as much as I thought I would. Stuck on the boss trio in Lost Bastille, probably going to go try the Fire Tower. I'm using summons and helping others out way more than I did in DkS1, man I was missing out, it's super fun!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hey dudes...

I just really started this game even though I got Black Armor Edition day one. But it's not SotFS. Is that a problem? I'm assuming when it updated it still got the updated enemy placement etc. PS3 btw.
Nope, new enemy placement is PS4/new-gen only. You did get some updates such as a new boss and some text changes.

I like it! Don't mind the things that I saw others complain about as much as I thought I would. Stuck on the boss trio in Lost Bastille, probably going to go try the Fire Tower. I'm using summons and helping others out way more than I did in DkS1, man I was missing out, it's super fun!
Glad you're enjoying yourself! Vanilla DS2 is still a great game of course.

Arkos

Nope, new enemy placement is PS4/new-gen only. You did get some updates such as a new boss and some text changes.

Glad you're enjoying yourself! Vanilla DS2 is still a great game of course.

Hmm, I actually don't mind that I guess; now I'll have a good reason to double dip when I catch up to current gem :3

Went on a murder spree through Tower of Fire and No Man's Wharf last night lol. Might be slightly OP atm. Still struggled with the Bastille boss though, only tried a couple of times before calling it a night. Today, they will die. Any tips for that fight?

I wish I was better at this game. I'm getting by butt smashed every time I have tried to beat the Smelter Demon at Iron Keep. Never had so much trouble with a boss before until now

Cat Party

I wish I was better at this game. I'm getting by butt smashed every time I have tried to beat the Smelter Demon at Iron Keep. Never had so much trouble with a boss before until now

One of the toughest bosses to solo, at least at the time in the game where you first meet him. Beating him unlocks a very useful bonfire, though. The pyromancy Flash Sweat is useful if you have access to it.

Basically, you're not alone in your difficulty with him.

I beat Smelter Demon my first try no problem, though I did summon the NPC near him.

I'm still really liking the game, just beat Looking Glass Knight. There's been a few sticking points, I thought the area in Iron Keep with the square platforms was utter bullshit until I figured out you can flip them over and instantly kill any enemies on them.

That's been kind of a theme, typically if something seems extremely hard there's a way to make things easier. Sometimes the solutions are ridiculously obscure though, the first being burning the windmill before Mytha to get rid of the poison in her area. How in the hell is anyone supposed to figure that out?

There's a few pretty boneheaded decisions in the game too. I had heard of the entrance to Iron Keep before so I vaguely knew there was something off about it, but I was not prepared for just how stupid that is. It doesn't affect gameplay so I guess in the grand scheme of things it isn't a huge deal, but man, going from Dark Soul's inter-connected zones to that shit is really disappointing. For those who don't know, at one point you come to a windmill on a hill that you fight through. After beating the boss you get into an elevator which takes you UP from this:

BEFjUzS.jpg

into this:

How did no one stop this? It seems like it'd be so easy to just make the elevator go DOWN too and make it a successor to the areas under Blighttown in DS1.

Anyway, like I said, I'm having fun. I'm sort of surprised how easy it is, Looking Glass Knight is the first boss to kill me in awhile. Iron King did get me twice but it's because I stupidly rolled into a lava pit and instantly died. I have been using NPC summons a lot, which I actually never did in DS1, but the bosses here feel like you need some help. DS1 bosses always felt doable, like "OK, now that I know how to dodge that attack I get how to beat this", but in 2 soloing bosses like the spider just feels like a hassle. You have to play it way too safe for it to be any fun, especially after playing Bloodborne.

I'm wearing heavy armor but I'm thinking about using a Soul Vessel to re-roll a mage build. I sort of stupidly put a ton of points into increasing my weight limit so I can equip a shield in one hand, and an Old Knight Halberd and axe in the other. The OKH breaks really easy so I like having a weapon in slot 2 for easy access to something durable, but it's not very efficient. Also I hear armor doesn't make a ton of difference to the damage you take anyway, plus I use a shield. Kind of late to mix it up, but oh well.

I beat Smelter Demon my first try no problem, though I did summon the NPC near him.

I'm still really liking the game, just beat Looking Glass Knight. There's been a few sticking points, I thought the area in Iron Keep with the square platforms was utter bullshit until I figured out you can flip them over and instantly kill any enemies on them.

That's been kind of a theme, typically if something seems extremely hard there's a way to make things easier. Sometimes the solutions are ridiculously obscure though, the first being burning the windmill before Mytha to get rid of the poison in her area. How in the hell is anyone supposed to figure that out?

I didn't know about this lol and beat her with the poison still active :/

Arkos

What the hell is this fog forest bullshit. I know it's fitting for a Souls game to have this kind of area I guess, but damnit. Anyway, still enjoying it.

Whoops, accidentally posted that last post here instead of my LTTP thread.

I didn't know about this lol and beat her with the poison still active :/

I bet that was a nightmare. When I saw that not only was I going to be poisoned the whole time but she was also regaining her health I figured there must be some way to get rid of the poison.

I searched around for a bit before consulting a guide, I doubt I ever would have figured out the windmill trick on my own. For future reference, if you walk up to the windmill with a lit torch you can press x to light it on fire. If you walk over without a lit torch there is no indication that you can interact with it at all, and from what I know there are no hints that this is an option.

Top Bottom