• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I have to share this. Thought it was hilarious.

https://twitter.com/EvilKatarn/status/663069844565307392

DLCs 2 and 3 have been pretty fun to explore so far. Not enjoying the boss fights really. Fume was a huge pain in the ass for example. No point in even bringing a shield since he'll easily guard break you and rolldodging is about as reliable as it always was in Dark Souls 2.
not very

If I get all the crowns can I just go show them to the king at any time or do I need another trigger for it?

Arjen

Started this today on PS4. My Sorcerer made it to The Pursuer...andno further, is there a trick??

To beat him? His moveset is pretty simple, he only has like 3 attacks. Dodge the attacks and get one or two hits in. But if you have low agility dodging can be tricky.
He can be a pain in the ass at the start if you're not comfortable with dodging.

DarkFlame

Banned
if you use the crossbow mechanism on the arena he gets hit for 90% of his health.Aiming can be a bit tricky but is totally worth it

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Started this today on PS4. My Sorcerer made it to The Pursuer...andno further, is there a trick??

Summon a friend. Also, I'm assuming you are talking about the actual boss fight and not when you can fight him earlier in the level. With a friend one person can use the arrow machine on him which helps a lot

Can I de agro
Vendrick
and the
Ancient Dragon
? Are there any nearby soul signs to these bosses ? Can I still talk with
Vendrick even if I kill his hollow form
?

Essay

I'm getting nostalgic for serious DSII PVP and am thinking of finally picking up SOTFS, but, I'm confronted with the tired question: PC or PS4?

PS4 pulls:
- Doesn't tax or tie up my laptop from doing other things while I'm waiting for PVP
- Better performance than my GTX 860m-bearing laptop (?)
- I usually have my ethernet cable plugged into this already
- Generally not in the habit of doing all that much PC gaming

Steam pulls:
- Can use my old 360 pad, which is what I played the original DSII on, and got used to performing shield-breaks, animation cancelling, etc... with. (This might not matter at all)
- Have more casual friends who play on this platform
- Steam-chat > chatting via PSN app
- Mods (...presumable some that won't even get me softbanned!)

Now that it's been out more than half a year, what I'm really curious about is the health of PVP on both platforms. Is either platform showing more signs of decline in PVP than the other?

EDIT: What I'm really wonder is which is more likely to still have PVPers after DS3 drops. (Anyone have a crystal ball handy?)

Arjen

I'm playing on PS4 right now and i can find PVP very easy. I even got some low level invasions, which was awesome

Muhuhahaha, slam dunked the
ancient dragon
solo, the dumb mug kept trying to stomp me, leaving me open to chip away at his legs. Tried doing it with NPC Summons or player summons, but they all died almost immediately (1 pair actually attacked the docile guards right when we got to the top, think they were trolling me, assholes).

Finished up the story, hooray for being able to go back and do everything ! Only need to find all the spells, sorceries etc and its platinum'd.

Got lucky with the final Abyss boss, beat 1st attempt, lots of circling the room to heal then running back in to hurt some more. Was even better when it "split" and I landed double damage as they were close to each other.

Reached the icy level DLC end boss ...... after struggling with all those soldiers I thought I might catch a break, oh how wrong I was .........

Arkos

Muhuhahaha, slam dunked the
ancient dragon
solo, the dumb mug kept trying to stomp me, leaving me open to chip away at his legs. Tried doing it with NPC Summons or player summons, but they all died almost immediately (1 pair actually attacked the docile guards right when we got to the top, think they were trolling me, assholes).

Finished up the story, hooray for being able to go back and do everything ! Only need to find all the spells, sorceries etc and its platinum'd.

Got lucky with the final Abyss boss, beat 1st attempt, lots of circling the room to heal then running back in to hurt some more. Was even better when it "split" and I landed double damage as they were close to each other.

Reached the icy level DLC end boss ...... after struggling with all those soldiers I thought I might catch a break, oh how wrong I was .........

Ancient Dragon is pissing me off.
Vendrick
too
all giant souls except the Ancient Dragon one
. I'm so tempted to just go on to the end game. Can I beat the final boss without having to go to NG+? (vanilla version here not SotFS, this is just the only "active" DkS2 topic)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Any areas good for being summoned at soul level 200 ?
Level is not relevant, Soul Memory is.

Can I beat the final boss without having to go to NG+? (vanilla version here not SotFS, this is just the only "active" DkS2 topic)
Yep. Once you beat the final boss you'll get the credits, but you can still explore around, and you trigger NG+ by manually using an option at the Majula bonfire.

Kosma

Banned
Just got this on the great PSN sale that's going on now, really impressed with the 60FPS, game feels so buttersmooth compared to BB and DeS!

I tried looking up some good guides but haven't really found anything. What are some good builds/guides?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Welcome to the party! Scholar is amazing. Just started a replay, a coop run with a friend this time.

That's really an open question (about builds) though. What kind of play style do you prefer? Melee, ranged? Tanking with a shield, nimble dodging? Etc.

Kosma

Banned
Something that will make me finish the game :)

Stuff is hard enough as is without worrying about the correct build and messing up points.

NinjaBoiX

Stuff is hard enough as is without worrying about the correct build and messing up points.
Don't worry about that, you get access to an item called Soul Vessels later on that let you respec your character. I did it a few times.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just make sure you get your Agility to around 99-100 as soon as possible. So always keep a few spare points for ADP (or ATT if you're going magic, that raises Agility slightly too) every now and then when you have a bunch of levels to gain at once.

Unless you're tanking behind a big-ass greatshield and don't dodge a lot, in which case you can probably ignore it.

That frigid outskirts area is so frustrating. And the boss is even worse, probably the worse from all the souls games. They are actualy the only bosses in the series where I think I'll need to summon for some help.

Celegus

I'm also looking for a pretty easy build if anyone has some suggestions. I played through DS II and platinum'd it within a couple weeks at PS3 release. I just borrowed Scholar from the library for 3 weeks since I never played the DLC and curious about the changes from the original version. But since I only have a few weeks (and Fallout! and real life!) I would rather just take a cruise through the scenery with an easy build. Are the DLC areas end-game or can they be done kind of anytime like Artorias of the Abyss was?

I pretty much always play strength builds. I remember maces / blunt being a good early choice? It's been so long since I played that I really don't remember much. Any items I should make a beeline for to make things easier?

Any tips for 1st time playing DS? I did play BB tho, but 1st time for DS...

Aim is to platinum, and easy tips, walktrhoughs/guides online? Or even youtube playlists?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Strength or faith build with strike weapons is usually pretty solid, especially when you later get the Red Iron Twinblade (infuse with fire or lightning if you go faith), which has insane DPS and staggering power. Makes the DLCs much easier than otherwise.

Hexer builds are also extremely powerful but a bit of a glass canon. As soon as you pick up the first few hexes (dark orb, resonant soul, dark hail) and a good staff like the Sunset Staff, you will pew pew your way to victory for the most part.

Edit: oh, another super strong weapon you can get really early on is the Black Knight Halberd. All you need is a Fragrant Branch of Yore (bought for 12k souls from Melentia right at the beginning), and you can go to Shaded Woods and pick it up, without even killing a boss, though admittedly it's hard to gain 12k souls without killing a boss so early in the game, plus you'll need to level up a few stats to use it, but its stat investment isn't that high and it packs quite a punch. Viable til end-game easily even without using its scaling, because its raw attack power is so strong.

Celegus

Strength or faith build with strike weapons is usually pretty solid, especially when you later get the Red Iron Twinblade (infuse with fire or lightning if you go faith), which has insane DPS and staggering power. Makes the DLCs much easier than otherwise.

Hexer builds are also extremely powerful but a bit of a glass canon. As soon as you pick up the first few hexes (dark orb, resonant soul, dark hail) and a good staff like the Sunset Staff, you will pew pew your way to victory for the most part.

Edit: oh, another super strong weapon you can get really early on is the Black Knight Halberd. All you need is a Fragrant Branch of Yore (bought for 12k souls from Melentia right at the beginning), and you can go to Shaded Woods and pick it up, without even killing a boss, though admittedly it's hard to gain 12k souls without killing a boss so early in the game, plus you'll need to level up a few stats to use it, but its stat investment isn't that high and it packs quite a punch. Viable til end-game easily even without using its scaling, because its raw attack power is so strong.

Awesome, just the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Nice platinum screenshot :[

jAcqA4v.jpg

Roll on Bloodborne DLC.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't care at all about trophies, but I did notice something weird; it seems I'm missing a whole bunch of hidden trophies that I don't know what they are... did the Scholar version add trophies?

I know I'm missing the all miracles/sorceries/pyros/hexes ones, but they are not hidden. Among the hidden ones I think I don't have the Sunbro covenant (never joined) and Champions covenant (haven't done a Champion run on Scholar yet), but I have 5 missing hidden trophies, not 2. Weird. (And I actually do have all of "inherit equipment from" Lucatiel, Benhart, Vengarl etc. since I wanted their gear haha.)

Rogan

Banned
Just bought it via PSN for €24.99. Never played a Souls game but I think its my type of game to get lost in.

Any tips / video's for a newbie?

Out of curiosity, what was DS2 like pre-SOTFS and patches etc, with things like the shrines that take you to the DLC, did they still exist originally, if so did they serve a purpose ? What about Shrine of Winter, that thing is slap bang in the middle of your progress. The whole Aldia thing, he didn't exist other than the mansion ?

Arkos

So, uh, I've got a "problem"

I'm at the endgame (beware SPOILERS), and I've been helping others out for humanity. So one person I helped was fighting Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin. I was like cool, because I'm playing vanilla and don't have the DLC. But then when I finally beat Nashandra, Aldia spawned and now I have to fight him! Is this normal? What is going on?

Edit: it also may have been because the person I summoned to fight Nashandra had the DLC?

Edit 2: I haven't beaten the Ancient Dragon, but I have talked to Aldia all the times he's appeared

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Out of curiosity, what was DS2 like pre-SOTFS and patches etc, with things like the shrines that take you to the DLC, did they still exist originally, if so did they serve a purpose ? What about Shrine of Winter, that thing is slap bang in the middle of your progress. The whole Aldia thing, he didn't exist other than the mansion ?
The shrine things after the Rotten and Old Iron King were simply not there. You had the primal bonfire and that's it, the room was otherwise empty. The Shrine of Winter was there, but didn't do anything. It was locked before you lit all 4 primal bonfires (or accumulated like 1mil in SM), but once it was unlocked you just crossed it and went on the path to Drangleic Castle.

So, uh, I've got a "problem"

I'm at the endgame (beware SPOILERS), and I've been helping others out for humanity. So one person I helped was fighting Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin. I was like cool, because I'm playing vanilla and don't have the DLC. But then when I finally beat Nashandra, Aldia spawned and now I have to fight him! Is this normal? What is going on?

Edit: it also may have been because the person I summoned to fight Nashandra had the DLC?

Edit 2: I haven't beaten the Ancient Dragon, but I have talked to Aldia all the times he's appeared
It's okay. The vanilla game got patched slightly before Scholar came out to include Aldia as a boss. He's in all versions of the game now, no need for the DLC.

Arkos

Angry face. Aldia seems to require ranged attacks and I'm straight melee. Any advice?

Manu

Angry face. Aldia seems to require ranged attacks and I'm straight melee. Any advice?

Aldia is probably the easiest boss in the game, melee or otherwise. Whenever he appears it takes him a few seconds to get his fire wall going, you can just hit him there.

You can also get free hits while he's charging his spirit bomb thing, just make sure not to get greedy and avoid the attack.

Astral Dog

Thats it, i barely could beat the second boss after 15 hours,countless deaths, leveling a lot and using a few HEs, i think im going to return it now like the first DS, it has that sense of accomplishment after you beat it, but im soo sloow and the combat seems too for me.

I know there are many things to make the game more manageable later on, but its very tiring and it seems im not as hardcore gamer as i thought :'(

A shame as the world and characters of these games are very cool.

Back to Yarn Yoshi

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That is just sad. I struggled on with the Pursuer at first too, but when I got his pattern down he was a complete cakewalk. Now I can almost always perfect him. Don't give up!

He's optional too lol...

I'm debating whether to pick this up now that the price has dropped.... Kind of want for PC but might cave and get it for PS4.

Edit: Nvm, guess it was a 1 day sale. Guess they don't want my money. :/

Arkos

Why is it raw? Are your stats deliberately low for some reason?

Manu is correct by the way, you don't need range at all for Aldia.

Yeah, raw is only good for weapons that don't scale or scale at D and E. Your mace scales at B in STR fully upgraded in the regular path. Time to see McDuff.

It's raw because I have no idea what I'm doing! Raw gave me the biggest numbers on damage. So should I just un-raw it and leave it at plus 10 or should I add some elemental to it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah undo that raw infusion right now. Leave it at a normal +10, you should hit way harder. Raw adds base damage, but removes scaling, so it's only good when your stats are low or when the weapon has poor to non-existent scaling.

Arkos

Yeah undo that raw infusion right now. Leave it at a normal +10, you should hit way harder. Raw adds base damage, but removes scaling, so it's only good when your stats are low or when the weapon has poor to non-existent scaling.

Okay. I assume elemental would be a no go as well (unless I have a specific reason/target)?

While we're on the topic of weapons, care to recommend any good ones for a melee build with decent mobility that I should try out? I like my mace but I haven't tried many other weapons. I know I don't like the move sets of halberds and generally ultra great swords (except for Cloud's sword, which can be useful), they're generally too slow and don't do enough damage to justify taking longer per hit. Any ideas? Like I said I'm endgame so I probably have or have access to most of the good ones.

And how about my pyromancy? It's maxed out but doesn't seem super useful nowadays. I mainly use fire orb and all of the higher end spells seem to take too long to cast. Didn't use pyromancy in DkS1 so I'm relatively new to it.

Oh and if it helps I used (and loved) the Claymore in DkS1 (where I did the equivalent of "raw" on it, did that work differently in DkS1 or was it just as stupid of me to do that then?)

Actually, typing all this out it's probably a small miracle that I've made it this far lol. Smash smash smash!

Edit: my character (Dickbutt)

Lvl 127

Vgr 31
End 30
Vit 23
Atn 13
Str 37
Dex 28
Adp 9
Int 3
Fth 6

A bit of a "jack of all (smashing people) trades"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah Raw wasn't a good idea then either sorry :p

For your build, just about any weapon with C/C kind of scaling would be good (or decent STR/DEX scaling). It's all about the movesets you like. I'd recommend some halberds but since you don't like them, how about the Red Iron Twinblade? Yeah I recommend it a lot but it really is stupidly good. It scales well with strength. Claymores are also very good, or any type of (non-ultra) greatswords.

For pyromancy, before the nerfs Flame Swathe and Chaos Firestorm were stupidly good boss nukes. Now, now so much, I guess, especially with low int or faith, but they can still be good occasionally. Probably not very good against Aldia though.

Which boss are you struggling with right now? Just Aldia? He's really easy, you just need patience.

Top Bottom