• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Fhtagn

Whoops, accidentally posted that last post here instead of my LTTP thread.

I bet that was a nightmare. When I saw that not only was I going to be poisoned the whole time but she was also regaining her health I figured there must be some way to get rid of the poison.

I searched around for a bit before consulting a guide, I doubt I ever would have figured out the windmill trick on my own. For future reference, if you walk up to the windmill with a lit torch you can press x to light it on fire. If you walk over without a lit torch there is no indication that you can interact with it at all, and from what I know there are no hints that this is an option.

In scholar, there is a summon that will point it out to you. In the original you have to rely on other folks leaving messages.

Arjen

Man, I was disappointed at first when vanilla ds2 came out, but I'm having so much fun with the ps4 version. I'm even getting invasions at my crazy high soul memory.

Holmes

FUUH. Got invaded in Huntsman's Corpse and ran like a little bitch. Led the invader to a cliff, saw that I had Emit Force, and I knocked him off the cliff... AND HE LANDED ON A SMALL LEDGE. Tried it again and it didn't work. :/

Raxious

I really should pick up the PS4 version, it'll help me get through the rest of the year for DS3, and I kinda feel I need to get the Platinum trophy for this version seeing as Iv'e got all the other ones as well :p

Arjen

Got my platinum! Holy shit, some of the mobs on ng++ don't fuck around. Time for a new build, I was thinking dual wield whips, never tried that before.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Got my platinum! Holy shit, some of the mobs on ng++ don't fuck around. Time for a new build, I was thinking dual wield whips, never tried that before.
It's fuuuun. I made this character in the vanilla PS3 game and loved it.

The old whips are the best but prepare to carry lots of repair powder, and use the bracing knuckles ring, their durability is shit. Also the DLC mobs don't stagger easily so you need the stone ring. But yeah, it's really fun and stylish as hell.

Ratrat

Bonfire ascetics carry over to new game+ right? So if I used like 7 in the Dragon Shrine I shouldn't even consider fighting Ancient Dragon, even in ng+?

deoee

I need this new version, only played DS2 vanilla on PS3 and it felt... different.
But everyone is praysing this + the DLC.
Any cheap ass keys for steam somewhere around?
wtzgU.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why would you use 7 ascetics in Dragon Shrine? xD I can understand the Dragon Aerie so you can respawn the crystal lizards but the shrine? Were you that desperate for a drakekeeper shield?

RevenWolf

Can anyone give an opinion on what weapons would work for a Dex/faith build? In vanilla I would use the heide knight lance, but it seems like it would take way too long to get it again? :(

Any thoughts?

Ratrat

Why would you use 7 ascetics in Dragon Shrine? xD I can understand the Dragon Aerie so you can respawn the crystal lizards but the shrine? Were you that desperate for a drakekeeper shield?
Actually, its my brother, but its a pretty good spot for farming souls no? 10k per kill and all that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hmm I don't remember where you get it in Scholar, but it's not that late in the game.

By the way the black knight halberd is also insanely good, tons of base damage and fire has some slight scaling with faith, so if you infuse it with fire it'll be even stronger. You can also get it stupidly early too; as soon as you get your first
Fragrant Branch of Yore
, you can speed run to
Shaded Ruins -- skip the foggy area by just always hogging the left side
, do the jump from the bridge and pick it up.

Actually, its my brother, but its a pretty good spot for farming souls no? 10k per kill and all that.
Oh. I never farm souls. Utter waste of time. To the point of despawning enemies and using ascetics too? SMH...

Arjen

I never farm either, especially Dark souls 2 that hands souls out like candy.
Started my new character with a rapier, holy shitt that thing packs a punch, works especially well with the Stine ring.

Tarkus

I never farm either, especially Dark souls 2 that hands souls out like candy.
Started my new character with a rapier, holy shitt that thing packs a punch, works especially well with the Stine ring.
I implore you to try the Estoc. Won't be disappointed.

Tarkus

I was looking into it, but I'm running a DEX build and the estoc has strength scaling :(
Oh OK. I was going to say that it's great infused with dark since the scaling is not good on the weapon anyway. With my 40/40 build, my AR was 437-ish with RoB+2 and Flynn's Ring. With its speed, low stamina consumption, and moveset I was destroying everything in PvE and PvP. Maybe a tad OP imo.

I think it would still be a viable weapon for a dexer.

Arjen

Oh OK. I was going to say that it's great infused with dark since the scaling is not good on the weapon anyway. With my 40/40 build, my AR was 437-ish with RoB+2 and Flynn's Ring. With its speed, low stamina consumption, and moveset I was destroying everything in PvE and PvP. Maybe a tad OP imo.

I think it would still be a viable weapon for a dexer.

Infusing with dark might be a good idea. I was planning on adding some hexes anyway. I'll give it a go, thnx!

duxstar

So I turn to you guys for help on this issue ....... I am at Soul memory 7.5 Million, level 160ish in new game + (Scholar of the first sin PS4) and need the sunbros coins to ge tthe sunlight spear and really dont want to farm it from the falconers over and over again; would much rather help people beat a boss; hell any boss. The problem is even in NG+ on the DLC content for avila (probably mis spelled) there was nothing; no one to summon or no one looking for help.

Is there a better spot in NG+ or will I have to wait for NG++; or did I just screw myself by just dying with all those souls each time (when you get 100k+ souls and dont level up theres not really a ton to use them on).

Also Im in the US and this was super early in the morning (5 - 8 am) is it possible that no one is on; i read somewhere about a setting to allow people from other countries into my game, but i don't know where i read it and if its a PS4 setting or if its a setting somewhere in Dark Souls 2.

The sad part is I got the damn Spear/Trophy on the PS3 version but when heard the PS4 version was coming out figured I'd platinum the game on that, and play the DLC at the same time.

So far the area's I've tried are Elesium Loyce Avila fight, Demon's Song, Veldstat, and The rotten to no avail.

So I turn to you guys for help on this issue ....... I am at Soul memory 7.5 Million, level 160ish in new game + (Scholar of the first sin PS4) and need the sunbros coins to ge tthe sunlight spear and really dont want to farm it from the falconers over and over again; would much rather help people beat a boss; hell any boss. The problem is even in NG+ on the DLC content for avila (probably mis spelled) there was nothing; no one to summon or no one looking for help.

Is there a better spot in NG+ or will I have to wait for NG++; or did I just screw myself by just dying with all those souls each time (when you get 100k+ souls and dont level up theres not really a ton to use them on).

Also Im in the US and this was super early in the morning (5 - 8 am) is it possible that no one is on; i read somewhere about a setting to allow people from other countries into my game, but i don't know where i read it and if its a PS4 setting or if its a setting somewhere in Dark Souls 2.

The sad part is I got the damn Spear/Trophy on the PS3 version but when heard the PS4 version was coming out figured I'd platinum the game on that, and play the DLC at the same time.

So far the area's I've tried are Elesium Loyce Avila fight, Demon's Song, Veldstat, and The rotten to no avail.

Just farm them. It should take you up to 5 hours. Watch a TV in the meantime or dunno eat lunch? I did it in 5.5 hours and it was very boring, sadly.

Arjen

Try smelter at that level, I got all my medals there at 8 million soul memory.

Arjen

So I was trying to do some invasions today, but the red eye orb was greyed out all the time. Turns out you had to nullify the effigy effect at the bonfire. Jezus how the fuck should I know that, I thought it meant you could turn yourself hollow with that option.

UberLevi

Had to restart this game twice. (Once for Scholar, once again because I got a new PC and there was no cloud saving.)

Finally making headway through the game. I've beaten the Sunken and Old Iron King DLCs and am currently near the start of the Ivory King DLC. After that, I'm gonna collect my hard-earned crown and head to the final boss fight so I can finally finish this game.

I was using a Claymore and Drangleic Shield for about 80% of the game and now I've respecced and am dual wielding a Grand Lance and Majestic Greatsword, which I'm absolutely loving.

I'm tempted to go back and play Dark Souls after I beat DS2. I bought the Prepare To Die edition but never did the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.

duxstar

Alternative: stop caring about meaningless trophies to the point you'd spend hours on boring tasks for them

Why do I bother

lol really; almost anyone else and you might be right but I've made it a point to only ever get platinum medals for 3 games; demon's souls, dark souls and dark souls 2. I even gave up on the stupid one for bloodborne because I couldn't fathom the challenge dungeons, they were boring so i said screw it.

went to the smelter demon ......

Got summoned for the first time ever and then set the controller down real quick ( was waiting to be summoned doing something else) and then of course r2 + r2 throws me into the lava; im not having a good night

Boney

Banned
Heyo, playing the vainilla version here on ps3 and so far so good. Really liking all the quality of life adjustments regarding lock on and combat feels less janky overall. And mob encounters fixes my problem with dark souls combat and encounters. Really digging it despite a few moronic stuff like the way bonfires are spread apart, warping, leveling up, how much exp you get and the lesser quality of the overall map design and how it interconnects.

I've been making good progress, managed to beat the Sin guy at the prison but now I'm a little lost. Went through the forest with the hunters and skeletons, managed to beat the skeleton lords and kept going through the mines, got into the fortress and managed to get to the boss which is fought on poison water so I died instantly.. Was expecting to get a poison resistance ring after the boss but I suppose you get it before hand, not sure if I missed it on the fortress or you get it somewhere else.

Before that, I got mauled by 100 rats at the bottom of the well so eff that and that has left me with no real options as to where to go.. So if anybody could give me a few directions that'd be great.

Seems I had two unpetrifying items. So I went ahead and used it on the girl in the temple at the beginning. I recall someone petrified in the jails after the 3 armored bosses guarding a bon fire, should I go save that guy as well?

Arjen

Heyo, playing the vainilla version here on ps3 and so far so good. Really liking all the quality of life adjustments regarding lock on and combat feels less janky overall. And mob encounters fixes my problem with dark souls combat and encounters. Really digging it despite a few moronic stuff like the way bonfires are spread apart, warping, leveling up, how much exp you get and the lesser quality of the overall map design and how it interconnects.

I've been making good progress, managed to beat the Sin guy at the prison but now I'm a little lost. Went through the forest with the hunters and skeletons, managed to beat the skeleton lords and kept going through the mines, got into the fortress and managed to get to the boss which is fought on poison water so I died instantly.. Was expecting to get a poison resistance ring after the boss but I suppose you get it before hand, not sure if I missed it on the fortress or you get it somewhere else.

Before that, I got mauled by 100 rats at the bottom of the well so eff that and that has left me with no real options as to where to go.. So if anybody could give me a few directions that'd be great.

Regarding the poison, I'll spoil it but it's really hard to figure out on your own, so decide if you want to read or not.
at the second bonfire there's a part of the mill you can burn down with your torch. That will drain the poison from the boss room

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol really; almost anyone else and you might be right but I've made it a point to only ever get platinum medals for 3 games; demon's souls, dark souls and dark souls 2. I even gave up on the stupid one for bloodborne because I couldn't fathom the challenge dungeons, they were boring so i said screw it.
The chalice dungeons are far, far less boring than farming sunlight medals, LOL. The later ones, depths 4 and 5, offer a genuine challenge and some amazing bosses.

RevenWolf

Seems I had two unpetrifying items. So I went ahead and used it on the girl in the temple at the beginning. I recall someone petrified in the jails after the 3 armored bosses guarding a bon fire, should I go save that guy as well?

With the poison there's a way to get rid of most of it (I will spoiler tag in case you don't want to know)
there is the bonfire inside the giant windmill that's next the spinning mill itself, you need to set the windmill on fire with a torch and that gets rid of poison on the air and only leaves a circle of poison on the floor.

If you don't want the spoiler your missing something in that area that needs doing. Assuming you did what was mentioned in the spoiler, the boss itself isn't too bad just that positioning is really important and beating that boss is the easiest way forward in my opinion.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to

Brotherrrrrrrrrrr. What's your PSN name I will try to invade or help you. Sly_fred

Boney

Banned
Ah I see! I haven't used the torches at all actually so that might've been why it didn't register. Thanks!

I just got a friendly reminder of why torches are a thing by getting back stabbed by an invisible enemy in the misty forest haha. Guess I'll go back to the fortress and figure it out.

Brotherrrrrrrrrrr. What's your PSN name I will try to invade or help you. Sly_fred
I play it offline :(

I know I'm the lamest there is

I guess we could try but I have no idea how the online system works between all the stones and what not

Arkos

I play it offline :(

I know I'm the lamest there is

I got ya. I solo-ed DkS1 but I've discovered that playing with others is a cool thing. If you are successful in helping someone, you gain humanity. If you murder someone, I don't know because all of my invasions have failed :'''''(

But the online play is a great break from the normal action when you get stuck. And by helping others you get free experience on bosses.

valouris

I just reached the final boss
before the throne
in SotFS for the first time, beat
her
, and proceeded to
sit on the throne
, unknowingly. Now I know there are
more (better?) endings
, and I want to see/do them with the same character. Is it possible? I read somewhere that if I use a bonfire ascetic I can re-do the boss and try
the other ending, leaving back from the gate
, is it true?

I just reached the final boss
before the throne
in SotFS for the first time, beat
her
, and proceeded to
sit on the throne
, unknowingly. Now I know there are
more (better?) endings
, and I want to see/do them with the same character. Is it possible? I read somewhere that if I use a bonfire ascetic I can re-do the boss and try
the other ending, leaving back from the gate
, is it true?
Ng+ for sure. Just try the ascetic out and see what happens cause I'm not sure.

Did you enjoy it?

valouris

Ng+ for sure. Just try the ascetic out and see what happens cause I'm not sure.

Did you enjoy it?

Yes I did, and I have yet to do the DLC areas and bosses. I understand the criticisms of the game, and they are valid. I hated how many areas were quite linear and/or not that hard, with too conveniently placed bonfires. The game hurts particularly badly in the opening areas and first bosses, imo not sharing the same awe and wonder with the first half of DS1. However, it get much much better as it goes on, and
Dragon Aerie
must be one of my favourite areas of all souls games.

What I missed most was the feeling of being stuck at one particular bonfire like the first half of DS1. I had the same feeling when I unlocked teleporting in DS1 as well. There was a very real sense of tangibility in DS1 when I had to trek all the way back to Firelink Shrine for example, when I was at the Undead Parish bonfire. It was a very welcome convenience when you unlock teleporting to be honest (especially after that brutal fight), but to have that ability from the get-go in DS2 makes you lose a lot from the sense of exploration and progression.

DarkFlame

Banned
The sequel to one of the best games of the last generation..The weight of its own legacy was the one that made this great game seem bad in comparison.That and the whole Miyazaki supervisor craziness

Anyway,the improvements in covenants and online play where most welcome in this one and while i haven't played the PS4 edition of Scholar,i daresay this is an excellent package of Souls dope.

Ignore the haters...best or worst of the franchise, Dark Souls 2 is still an amazing game

neoemonk

The sequel to one of the best games of the last generation..The weight of its own legacy was the one that made this great game seem bad in comparison.That and the whole Miyazaki supervisor craziness

Anyway,the improvements in covenants and online play where most welcome in this one and while i haven't played the PS4 edition of Scholar,i daresay this is an excellent package of Souls dope.

Ignore the haters...best or worst of the franchise, Dark Souls 2 is still an amazing game

I played it over the summer and really enjoyed it. I have the vanilla version on PC, finished that and went right to Bloodborne. Now I'm debating picking up Scholar on PS4 and replaying the game plus diving into the DLC. I'd like to do a run with the wiki and see the things that I missed. I always do a blind run once in every Souls game.

DarkFlame

Banned
I played it over the summer and really enjoyed it. I have the vanilla version on PC, finished that and went right to Bloodborne. Now I'm debating picking up Scholar on PS4 and replaying the game plus diving into the DLC. I'd like to do a run with the wiki and see the things that I missed. I always do a blind run once in every Souls game.

Actually if you are a PC gamer and have the vanilla game,they offered upgrade programs into Scholar edition at a discount.So you might wanna check on that

As for me having played the DLCs,they are maybe even better than the vanilla game.Ofc with the DX11 edition they changed enemy placement and item locations,also upgraded a bit the graphics which look a bit nicer.So far i haven't played the remastered version,which i aim to do sometime in a the future

Arkos

It's well worth taking a bow in that area if you have the stats?

Yeah I went and stocked up on poison arrows after I found out 4 of them will do the trick, still died a gazillion times (but not enough to despawn any of them lol) because I'm not used to the bow I guess. I think I'm near the end, just killed a dark spirit.

Yeah I went and stocked up on poison arrows after I found out 4 of them will do the trick, still died a gazillion times (but not enough to despawn any of them lol) because I'm not used to the bow I guess. I think I'm near the end, just killed a dark spirit.

Sounds like you're right at the end now, I just went through it on ng+ and didn't die once, I was so happy as I was dreading it but the arrows did the trick as well as the couple of summons you can get!

Top Bottom