• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Neoweee

Huh. I put hundreds of hours into Dark 2 and never heard of this. Any documentation of this on a wiki or somewhere?

You are right. It isn't more efficient. It just "looks" that way, when the stats are being calculated by some sum/coefficient, etc., but stats are completely order-independent.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Compared to DX9 DS2, does the DX11 version require a much better machine? Or are the requirements pretty much the same?

I haven't done any sort of comparison, but I have yet to see a dip below 60fps on my 7970 and at most the GPU usage has been ~35%. Unless the DX9 version was chugging on your machine, it's probably not worth worrying about.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

They did themselves a huge disservice naming the patch the same thing as the remixed re-release.

I haven't done any sort of comparison, but I have yet to see a dip below 60fps on my 7970 and at most the GPU usage has been ~35%. Unless the DX9 version was chugging on your machine, it's probably not worth worrying about.

What's your CPU? If your 7970 handles it fine I shouldn't have to worry about my R9 280x at least (given that they're essentially the same card), but my FX6300 doesn't play nice all the time, though more often than not it does.

dissa9

Neo Member
The game is quite open up to you by that point. Look around more. Going down "that" path of progression is a really steep difficulty curve.

It's a result of the game being so much less linear than the others. if you do Heide's first, there's, like, 7 or 8 bosses you could realistically do next.

Thanks, I've not played DS2 before so I didn't realise there was loads I could do before Purseur. Not played today but may give him one more session as he's becoming an obsession, feel like I have to beat him.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I assume
they've worked those weapons into the DLC now. Did they just appear in a chest in Majula? I can't really remember.

Yeah they were part of a special event leading up to the DLC. Then later before the last patch they put all of them there at once.

Thanks, I've not played DS2 before so I didn't realise there was loads I could do before Purseur. Not played today but may give him one more session as he's becoming an obsession, feel like I have to beat him.

We all know that feeling, that sweet crack feeling. And then you finally beat the boss and feel like the baddest mofo ever.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
OK, so I'm right then. They're separate. If I buy scholars it has to be dx11 yes? And if I buy DS2 it must be DX 9, correct? I'm not talking upgrades, just "retail" versions for lack of a better term.

The Scholars listing is indeed DX11 only and comes with the DLC
The Dark Souls 2 listing is the DX9 base game released a year ago with added patch stuff.

Yeah it's super confusing.

Didn't they also release retail versions for PS360 with the Scholar subtitle as well with the DLC included? I mean that's Nintendo level brand confusion

4670k @ 4ghz.

Not a ginormous difference, but intels have always had a higher ipc, what's the usage like?

Edit: Nvm, watched a video on youtube, Majula runs a steady 60 fps and that's one of the few places where the game dipped on my older rig (That and the PVP lava bridge place)

Damn, they got rid of the hidden wall by the
Congregation
fight. I wanted that shard!
Edit: Nevermind, lol. Forgot that they changed finding walls to X.

dissa9

Neo Member
We all know that feeling, that sweet crack feeling. And then you finally beat the boss and feel like the baddest mofo ever.

So true, I actually celebrated when I beat O&S as a one bro, like jumping up and punching the air, great feeling. Only Souls games can do that to you.

dissa9

Neo Member
Something I've been meaning to ask, has anyone playing on ps4 noticed a lack of blood in this game? My settings say it's set to 'on' but I don't recall ever seeing it in the game?

I'm still only at FotFG if that is relevant, I don't recall seeing it on any back stabs, ripostes or arrows to the head.

psy18

Working my way through the 4th primal bonfire and I'm liking the new placement and lots of small touches they put in the DX11 version.

Yes they added more enemies and increased the aggro range, but I still find them doable as long I approach carefully and off them one by one (even in Iron Peak).

Jolly cooperation also seems easier now (or maybe because lots of players). It helps on early phase especially if you need that agi stat for iframe.

Durability issue is too bad but even so from what I've seen so far, I recommend the DX11 version over the old one to any players.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So DS is one of my all time favorite games, but I'm seeing a lot of hate on this one. I never played vanilla DS2. Am I gonna enjoy this game or should I save my money? Not sure I like the idea of weapon durability.

Can anyone suggest good stats to invest in if I like to be agile but two hand a big heavy weapon?

I've never really understood the status system in this or DS too well and I'd like to make a better build this time.

Durante

So DS is one of my all time favorite games, but I'm seeing a lot of hate on this one. I never played vanilla DS2. Am I gonna enjoy this game or should I save my money? Not sure I like the idea of weapon durability.
It's an overall better game than DS1 in my opinion. Really, the hate for it was and is 90% manufactured internet stupidity and 10% legitimate concerns. (Well, unless the last-gen console version of DS2 was somehow infinitely worse than the PC version which is the one I played)

Interesting fact: the average playtime for DS1 on Steam is ~38 hours, while it is ~79 hours for DS2. Why would people play a far worse game (as some claim) for twice as long?

Lanrutcon

It's an overall better game than DS1 in my opinion. Really, the hate for it was and is 90% manufactured internet stupidity and 10% legitimate concerns. (Well, unless the last-gen console version of DS2 was somehow infinitely worse than the PC version which is the one I played)

Interesting fact: the average playtime for DS1 on Steam is ~38 hours, while it is ~79 hours for DS2. Why would people play a far worse game (as some claim) for twice as long?

I dunno. Maybe because the original needs to be modded while the sequel doesn't? Because the PC version of the original dropped waaay after people had spent themselves on the console version? because the PC version had to generate the hype, while the sequel then just coasted on that?

The average playtime is a shitty metric for a game's quality.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I dunno. Maybe because the original needs to be modded while the sequel doesn't? Because the PC version of the original dropped waaay after people had spent themselves on the console version? because the PC version had to generate the hype, while the sequel then just coasted on that?

The average playtime is a shitty metric for a game's quality.

The fact remains that an average playtime of 78 hours is still a lot for a game that's considered "Bad"

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

DS1 came out long after the original on PC and was a terrible, terrible port. DS2 came out a month after and was a good port with better implemented online.

The fact remains that an average playtime of 78 hours is still a lot for a game that's considered "Bad"

I don't think it is that the game is bad, just the worst souls game. That still kinda towers over most games released nowadays.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Real answer: because the PVP in Dark Souls 2 is infinitely better than in 1, soul memory and other "warts" considered.

But I agree with Durante that 2 is the better game. Most of the complaints I see about are it hilariously exaggerated. IMO, the only part of 1 that comes close to 2 is the stuff they added in the Prepare To Die edition.

Durante

DS1 came out long after the original on PC and was a terrible, terrible port. DS2 came out a month after and was a good port with better implemented online.
Well, "better online" is a significant part of why I think it's better overall than DS1. Both games have advantages and disadvantages over each other, which you prefer is a matter of taste.

What's ridiculous is how some people nit-pick DS2 to the nth degree while putting DS1 on a pedestal (or at least glossing over its problems).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Who called DS2 bad? Cause that person is silly.

DS1 and 2 are both great games. IMO DS1 is just a bit better.

Oh I was just talking in general when it comes to all the negativity mentioned by Durante, didn't mean to point any fingers.

phoenixyz

People just tend to nitpick on sequels of great games. DS2 is not the first game it has happened to.
Doesn't help that it's simply not as good game design/mechanics-wise as DS1, too ;)

Durante

Who called DS2 bad? Cause that person is silly.
There are clearly too many such people, given that my original reply was to someone who, in his own words, sees DS1 as "one of [their] all time favorite games" but was considering skipping DS2 entirely. I feel bad thinking that some players (who I am convinced would overwhelmingly love the game) are skipping it because of the silly hate campaign that was going on at its release.

I think it's silly to categorize it as a "silly hate campaign." I'd probably partake in some very strong language towards DS2 (I think it's an absolutely run of the mill, template driven Souls game without much of what made Demon/Dark special) but that's because it's being compared to games who do so much and at a much higher level. I wouldn't ignore DS1's flaws (or likewise, Demons) but the primary thing that DS2 does great is the online. And I would think that most people don't really care for the online in Souls game outside of coop to the degree that it comes into play in making a determination for which game is better then which. Hell, I know I don't. I played DS1 on 360 back when it came out and online was actually straight up broken. DS2 on PC was flawless outside soul memory. But that matters little to me.

creyas

so where to enjoy more, PC or PS4?

I'd wager it's OK to go for PS4 if you find it more comfortable to play on. Only times so far i've paid attention to framerate drops was in The Gutter and in the N64 Woods, was probably in the 40s. Got 3 great souls so far, haven't been to the DLC areas.

Looks awesome.

HeelPower

I was excited for this at one point ,but now reports of giant hordes and annoying durability make me worry if its worth buying /:

Robot Pants

Thinking maybe I just spend 30 and get the DLC for PS3 instead of PS4 version.
Those enemy placements just seem frustrating for no reason.
Are the visual upgrades worth 30 more dollars?

edit: ah hell. I know I'm just gonna buy Scholar. Why even pretend

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I was excited for this at one point ,but now reports of giant hordes and annoying durability make me worry if its worth buying /:

These are two of the things I keep hearing about and what's making me think maybe not getting it. The first was hard in a not cheap way, that's what made the game good m

takriel

I hate to be annoying with this, but what specifically makes it suffer compared to DS 1?
No, no, in the contrary I hope that I can provide good arguments... so let's see:

- Level design is boring, uninspired and lack meaningful shortcuts and thus interconnectedness. Especially mid-game levels like Shaded Woods, Iron Keep, Brightstone Cove Tseldora, Doors of Pharos, the windmill area are all very tedious to play through
- Combat is much, much worse, especially because it's too slow and unresponsive and stamina is depleted much too fast
- The roll and evading system is fucked up beyond repair. There's very little invinsibility frames, even with added ADP
- A lot of Bosses are forgettable
- The story is forgettable or not original enough

That's off the top of my head. DkS 2 is still great compared to other games out there, but clearly lacks a lot of the "soul" of its brethren imo

Mogwai

Thinking maybe I just spend 30 and get the DLC for PS3 instead of PS4 version.
Those enemy placements just seem frustrating for no reason.
Are the visual upgrades worth 30 more dollars?

edit: ah hell. I know I'm just gonna buy Scholar. Why even pretend
It's certainty not worth playing in the PS3 when you can easily play on a better platform. The performance is garbage on PS3.

Tagyhag

I'm getting to that point that I get in Souls games where I'm far enough that I want to try a new character with a different build, took me so long to actually beat Dark Souls for this reason.

Damn mages and their cool looking spells. Are they stronger or weaker than in 1?

keep losing my souls and enemies aint respawning

dun goofed

farmed 40k souls,died from falling

all gone

In this new version, you can join the covenant in Majula to respawn most of the monsters back, and then abandon then covenant with the cat. Repeat as desired.

Before you had to use an item and they'd come back stronger. This new method is much better.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No, no, in the contrary I hope that I can provide good arguments... so let's see:

- Level design is boring, uninspired and lack meaningful shortcuts and thus interconnectedness. Especially mid-game levels like Shaded Woods, Iron Keep, Brightstone Cove Tseldora, Doors of Pharos, the windmill area are all very tedious to play through
- Combat is much, much worse, especially because it's too slow and unresponsive and stamina is depleted much too fast
- The roll and evading system is fucked up beyond repair. There's very little invinsibility frames, even with added ADP
- A lot of Bosses are forgettable
- The story is forgettable or not original enough

That's off the top of my head. DkS 2 is still great compared to other games out there, but clearly lacks a lot of the "soul" of its brethren imo

Ouch. This is terrible. All of those things especially the story part hurts. I loved the subtle story in DS.

Also, wtf is this souls memory people keep talking about?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the thing that spoilt DS2 for me--- and the Souls games supports so many different play-styles and objectives, so this will matter much less for some --- was how flat everything felt. None of the levels felt intricate. There was usually a golden path. One proper way of dealing with the enemies.

3DShovel

1. You're wrong. Combat is much smoother in DaSII than in the original.
2. Good. Invincibility frames are not a good thing. If anything I'm more upset with Dark Souls II because FROM didn't deliver when they said there would be no invincibility at all.

Durante

but the primary thing that DS2 does great is the online.
I strongly disagree. Here's just a small selection of things DS2 does better than DS1 on top of online:
  • Allowing for greater build variety, and supporting it with more unique gameplay (e.g. dual wielding power stance).
  • Offering more varied and unique spells, and more distinct schools of spells and ways to cast them. Also making pure casters more viable.
  • Basic movement mechanics are smoother and more responsive, and the way armor and stats affect movement is far more balanced. Also, invincibility frames are much more appropriate, making fast rolling less of an auto-win move.
  • Level design quality is a lot more consistent in DS2. While there are still better and worse areas, it never quite reaches the lows of say, Lost Izalith.
  • The covenants are more interesting in their gameplay ramifications.
  • Finally, the sheer amount of content is pretty amazing, especially in the full version with DLCs. This applies to all of levels, weapons, armor and spells.

And then of course there's the online you allude to. Which isn't just a technical implementation thing (though that is incredibly superior), but they also included some challenges specifically designed for co-op in the DLC which are awesome.

HeelPower

These are two of the things I keep hearing about and what's making me think maybe not getting it. The first was hard in a not cheap way, that's what made the game good m

Yeah..

I mean the original game had a natural difficulty progression and the mobs get harder as you go through the game.

But now it seems even places like Forest of the fallen giants won't be relaxing anymore :/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I find the split between "Controls are unresponsive" and "The controls are much more responsive" quite weird, of all the arguments that those two are at complete odds with eachother. It's just weird.

Makes me wonder how bad the console versions really were. I remember a lot of people complaining about the menu lagging even.

Top Bottom