• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator86

Why the fuck doess From Software keep doing the same shit for their games? For every difficult boss, there's always a gauntlet of enemies to run thru before you can try the boss again. In DS3 they even have shit where the enemies can hit you thru the boss fog. At best you avoid them all but at worst one of them hits you and you have to chug a flask, leaving less for the boss fight.

Also god damn
Pontiff. That cocksucker has shit like 7 hit combos and none of my weapons do more than like 160 damage per hit. I'm pretty good at dodging (150h of Bloodborne) but anytime there's a window for attack you are usually just far enough that you won´t hit. And that phase two is even more bullshit.

Does two handing weapons even make them more powerful?

Cycles are a theme of the games. In reality though, From recycles way too much shit. A shitty, bland poison swamp area in 5 straight games? Really? They refuse to address the camera, lock on system, shitty hitboxes on grab attacks, and a litany of other issues. Some bosses in the games are almost 100% just a proxy for the camera. What From does well, they do really well. What From does poorly on, they seem to just double down on it over and over. Now is the perfect time for them to sit down and really look at what they could tweak for future titles.

daninthemix

Is Fextralife known for spouting utter bullshit?

In their Yhorm page they said "WARNING: having
Siegward
in this fight makes it substantially easier".

Well I had him in the fight, and he died within 15 seconds, having done no damage to the boss.

ElFly

Why the fuck doess From Software keep doing the same shit for their games? For every difficult boss, there's always a gauntlet of enemies to run thru before you can try the boss again. In DS3 they even have shit where the enemies can hit you thru the boss fog. At best you avoid them all but at worst one of them hits you and you have to chug a flask, leaving less for the boss fight.

Also god damn
Pontiff. That cocksucker has shit like 7 hit combos and none of my weapons do more than like 160 damage per hit. I'm pretty good at dodging (150h of Bloodborne) but anytime there's a window for attack you are usually just far enough that you won´t hit. And that phase two is even more bullshit.

Does two handing weapons even make them more powerful?

Two handing does make them more powerful, but only if you have a bonus to Strength. Two handing gives you 1.5x the strength.

I _think_ it is the same with Dex.

So basically, no stat bonus = no two handing benefit.

Siegward

Well I had him in the fight, and he died within 15 seconds, having done no damage to the boss.

Git gud at keeping your bros alive!

I decided to try coop for the first time against
pontiff
he was fucking destroying me hard. I figured coop would still be hard as he has more health but with 2-3 people we could distract him.

Turns out..
Pontiff
... Well it was rape. I pretty much just stood back and watched.

Jesus christ
Dancer
was easy as piss. First try I died as my two coop friends were 1 shotted. I then got him down to 20% heath when he had 300% buff from the coop fight. Completely obliterated him single.

Siegward

I saw a video someone posted in this thread where
Siegward
pretty much took care of the boss alone. The one in your game must have neglected his Wheaties.

Can anyone tell me if I can buy twinkling titanite at some point? I just found the third bonfire at
irithyll the boreal valley
and I'd like to try some weapons that use it but I don't want to sacrifice upgrading the
irithyll straight sword
cuz I like it a lot. Also when it becomes available or how to make it available if possible.

It becomes available, but it's admittedly hard to unlock because the item you need is on a corpse in a totally obscure, optional part of the game.

I don't think you're playing the game the way it was designed and balanced.

daninthemix

Git gud at keeping your bros alive!

I'm quoting directly from their page here:

"Be aware though that having him at your side pretty much trivializes the fight against Yhorm."

He died within 15 seconds. Was that patched, or are they just massively wrong?

Just in case someone hasn't seen it yet: as seen on reddit, a checklist of things you'd probably miss.

https://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/

I don't really like following guides to the letter, but there's zero chance I'd figure out those NPC quests by myself.

Yeah, I've botched so much during my NG playthrough, so NG+ will most definitely be different, probably going slower and checking things to go for it all.

I'm only 2 lords in but at 24 hours of total play

Also, killing invaders and Aldritch Faithful in Irithyll was so much fun. Surviving 2v1s was the real challenge in that area.

I don't think you're playing the game the way it was designed and balanced.

Nope he sounds currect actually. There is many a time a whole bunch of shit to run past you have already killed 20 times to fight a boss again. Is he supposed to grind them every single time? Or Trolololol git gud?

ElFly

I'm quoting directly from their page here:

"Be aware though that having him at your side pretty much trivializes the fight against Yhorm."

He died within 15 seconds. Was that patched, or are they just massively wrong?

My experience:

I was summoned for that fight and I saw the cutscene with Siegward: holy shit that was awesome. So the host had completed that questline and I didn't :(

Then I didn't know what to do but Siegward and the other summoned sunbro dude just go bananas on Yhorm. By the time I figured out how to use the Storm Sword (2 minutes), the giant kneeld and died. Oh well, free souls and free sunlight medal for me.

So maybe the other summon was very good, OR Siegward is actually good if he survives.

Rich!

Right so...I am currently at the point where I've just cleared
aldrich at anor londo
, and I've just head back to the
distant manor

This game is absolutely amazing. It's relentless. It's everything I love about Souls distilled into it's purest form, along with the best boss battles I've seen so far. And the PC version runs like an absolute dream.

Siegward

No but I do know their website for trying to take you to scam pages if you don't use ad block. Like.. You can't even look at the content on mobile. I have an ad block brower for 1 fucking website.

Dimmle

My experience:

I was summoned for that fight and I saw the cutscene with Siegward: holy shit that was awesome.

Then I didn't know what to do but Siegward and the other summon the host had just go bananas on Yhorm. By the time I figured out how to use the Storm Sword (2 minutes), the giant kneeld and died. Oh well, free souls and free sunlight medal for me.

So maybe the other summon was very good, OR Siegward is actually good if he survives.
Siegward will basically carry the entire fight for you if you provide a distraction. I can't decide if this is awesome or disappointing.

Soodanim

I only had one chance to discover and experience
Anor Londo
for the first time and I'll never have that again, I'm actually annoyed with myself for needing to use a guide for that of all things. Fucking hell.

it's strange i haven't met
patches
even after finishing the game. i don't think i've finished any npc questline this playthrough. anyone know where to find him now?

24hr

Looking to buy a game to sink time into until Overwatch comes out. Is this DS3 'easy' for a new comer to the series or will it frustrate me and send me over the edge?

Steel

Banned
Looking to buy a game to sink time into until Overwatch comes out. Is this DS3 'easy' for a new comer to the series or will it frustrate me and send me over the edge?

I'd say it has a better tutorial than Bloodborne, but worse than DS2 and DS1. In the end, though, it depends on how easily frustrated you are.

Edit:

Did your avatar just change?

I'm currently speaking to
Patches
in Firelink Shrine.
He's apologised for locking me in the tower. I read that if you choose not forgive him, you get a gesture. But can I then forgive him afterward to get him to become a merchant? In Dark Souls 1, you could not forgive Patches, get an item, and then forgive him with no consequences. Just want to check it's the same here.

Dimmle

It's the easiest of any Souls game to get acquainted with but it's also a Souls game so your mileage may vary. It will definitely last you, though.

Ferr986

It's a hard game, thats for sure. But also doable for everyone, if you play with patience and caring about how you play and how bosses work.

Zocano

I think the game is harder for new-comers than DS1 or DS2 (I think DS2 is the easiest for new people to get into).

If it's your first Souls game, you're going to struggle at first most likely. It's going to frustrate you, but when you overcome your roadblocks, it's one of the greatest feelings you'll have playing a video game.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Well its tutorial is easy but from the tutorial boss on it ramps up.

I would say the difficulty is about right, but for a newcomer I have no idea.

If you get it on Steam you can always refund it if you get frustrated beyond the edge before 2 hours have passed.

RedAssedApe

Banned
^ not a good souls player by any means (i somehow soldier through though lol) but i would say that starting class also matters a lot for new players.

are npc summons useless in this game? summoned the npc for the crystal sage boss and he died quickkkk lol

Anno

It's been pretty smooth for me as a newb to the series and someone not generally that good at 3D character action games.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of an end game strength build stat distribution? I got to 40 strength, now I don't know which other stats to max.. halp

My main, and only, weapon is a Heavy +10 Dark Sword.

Arjen

Siegward

Dude basicly solo ed that fight for me. It was over before I had a clue what was going on.

ElFly

Hah that's literally all the areas I've been to so far and I am in awe over how great the design is and just how good it looks. So many great visuals.

I maintain my opinion that the visuals and design are meh at the beginning, for example, the poison swamp. Demon had a very specific poison area. DS1 had this harrowing descent into the poison area, DS2 had it as some area where...they harvest poison? it was weird, but at least had a theme to it, but in DS3 the game just goes "ok we are due for a poison area have fun".

Great level design, just boring...dunno...lore? world design? Feel DS3 doesn't really pick up world wise until the catacombs.

Korosenai

My friend is trying to tell me he's better than me because he summoned two people to beat N
amelss
K
ing
while I solo'd it, because summoning people gives the boss more health...

Jamesways

So hollowing and the
dark sigil
carry over to NG+? So I have to shell over 450k souls in my case to heal it at the start?

J-Rod

I'm currently speaking to
Patches
in Firelink Shrine.
He's apologised for locking me in the tower. I read that if you choose not forgive him, you get a gesture. But can I then forgive him afterward to get him to become a merchant? In Dark Souls 1, you could not forgive Patches, get an item, and then forgive him with no consequences. Just want to check it's the same here.

He becomes a vendor either way. As far as I know there are no repercussions or any difference between the dialog options other than what he gives you. I don't remember getting a gesture though, just a
rusted coin. Talking to him later gave me the patches squat gesture though.

Tecnniqe

Banned
My friend is trying to tell me he's better than me because he summoned two people to beat N
amelss
K
ing

It maybe give more HP but also 3 targets to rotate for easy estus and swaps

amelss
K
ing

I believe it also ups their damage output as well.

Just have him 1v1 you
then Estoc his ass.

Ferr986

amelss
K
ing

No mattwr how much health a boss can have its worth it for being able to heal slowly because someone elsw got his aggro.

daninthemix

I'm probably one of the few people who preferred Demon Ruins / Izalith in DS1 to Smoldering Lake in DS3.

There was all this amazing architecture in DS1 and I actually liked the lava trek. In DS3? Hardly any lava at all. I am disappoint!

I'm shaking like a shitting dog after beating
Aldrich
I've had about 50 attempts at taking him out over the last three days or so. What a bastard of a boss

Dimmle

I'm probably one of the few people who preferred Demon Ruins / Izalith in DS1 to Smoldering Lake in DS3.

There was all this amazing architecture in DS1 and I actually liked the lava trek. In DS3? Hardly any lava at all. I am disappoint!

How do I get those lava items, though
?!

MilkBeard

Nope he sounds currect actually. There is many a time a whole bunch of shit to run past you have already killed 20 times to fight a boss again. Is he supposed to grind them every single time? Or Trolololol git gud?

This is just part of the Souls design. They've actually minimized it quite a bit for DS3.

usp84

Siegward

In my fight he basically killed the boss on his own.I did nothing

Mupod

How do I get those lava items, though
?!

I've only found two by the
not-Tarkus
and they were pretty easy to get with a flame stoneplate ring combined with flash sweat. The latter I can use with zero investment in caster stats whatsoever as a Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom