• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjen

Question about Yuria Quest Line: I found Anri
looking for Horace in the Catacombs and told her I havent seen him so far. Went to the Smouldering Lake and found Horace and Killed him. Was I supposed to kill him? And if so what is my next step? I just started Boreal Valley and found Anri again and this time she gave me a ring but didnt ask about Horace. Am I still on track to Marrying her?

Same happened to me and everything went fine, Yuria should give you new dialogue now.

I had trouble with Watchers too, but I later found out that I was supposed to do them later then I did which might be why they were harder for me than most players. I also didn't have sharp gems at the time which would've fixed my damage output.

SkylineRKR

Yeah, fighting some of these later game bosses it made me wonder how the Heavy Armor/Greatshield builds would even handle them.

Game is unbalanced as fuck.

It pretty much comes down to straight swords. I tried Greatswords and UGS and its just not viable. You'll lose all your stamina and they attack much faster. Its boring as I'm constantly using the Dark Sword with sometimes Fire Uchi.

In B-Team's game I found lots of sword types viable, I used a load of them. Even post nerf a magic build was still kind of decent to run around with (except in DLC areas, where it didn't seem to hit hard enough).

Neoweee

It pretty much comes down to straight swords. I tried Greatswords and UGS and its just not viable. You'll lose all your stamina and they attack much faster. Its boring as I'm constantly using the Dark Sword with sometimes Fire Uchi.

In B-Team's game I found lots of sword types viable, I used a load of them. Even post nerf a magic build was still kind of decent to run around with (except in DLC areas, where it didn't seem to hit hard enough).

This is the B-Team's game, too, I thought? Mostly B-Team + Miyazaki.

But, yes, DS2 had much better build variety, both at launch and currently. The DLC had a dumb damage reduction to ranged spell damage likely as a way to prevent cheesing through it, but it really forced pure-caster builds to at least have an Infused and upgraded weapon.

There's at least a few bosses in DS3 that basically don't even acknowledge that the player could be a caster. They don't have ranged attacks in their rotation or moves that close the distance to people trying to stay away.

Ok I don't see a point to using a refined gem on a black blade +5 it says C for both Dex and str however it will be the same with the heavy gem.

Sharp says e for str and b for Dex.

So does this mean both heavy and refined are the same however if I roll Dex this blade will be at its best?

It pretty much comes down to straight swords.
Straight swords are ridiculous in PVP. They stunlock so easily, have katana-like phantom hitboxes, and do a ton of damage. I expect them to get patched down the road.

JJD

Guys I need a little help!

Just completed Sirris quest line, but now
during the fight with her granddad Rodrick, he hit me with some spell or item that made me overburdened. I was around 60%, but now I'm at 72% and doing fat rolls. It's been a couple minutes but this won't go away...what can I do? Am i screwed? Will I have to put points into vigor again?

Fuser

The bosses have always been the worst part about the Souls series
Yes I agree, I love walking around the world, exploring the dealing with the excellent encounters, but I hate the bosses so much in these games! I'm just trying to get through them with summons as quickly as possible but I'm completely stumped at A
ldrich
. The fight feels like it should be easy but I'm getting absolutely destroyed! I got it down to quarter health and then got one-shotted, every other attempt I'm hopeless at it. Videos on youtube make the fight look so damn easy too.
Tried summoning but the coop people are getting wrecked too, and I'm now running low on embers.

Baaaah.

(secretly hoping ranting on gaf will mean I succeed on the next attempt)

laxu

Why the fuck doess From Software keep doing the same shit for their games? For every difficult boss, there's always a gauntlet of enemies to run thru before you can try the boss again. In DS3 they even have shit where the enemies can hit you thru the boss fog. At best you avoid them all but at worst one of them hits you and you have to chug a flask, leaving less for the boss fight.

Also god damn
Pontiff. That cocksucker has shit like 7 hit combos and none of my weapons do more than like 160 damage per hit. I'm pretty good at dodging (150h of Bloodborne) but anytime there's a window for attack you are usually just far enough that you won´t hit. And that phase two is even more bullshit.

Does two handing weapons even make them more powerful?

Is it OK to turn in items to leaders of covenants if I'm not currently in that covenant? If I leave a covenant, does that reset the item turn-in count?

I'm wondering if there's any reason to not turn in anything I find, without having to worry about joining/leaving covenants constantly.

Onemic

This is the B-Team's game, too, I thought? Mostly B-Team + Miyazaki.

But, yes, DS2 had much better build variety, both at launch and currently. The DLC had a dumb damage reduction to ranged spell damage likely as a way to prevent cheesing through it, but it really forced pure-caster builds to at least have an Infused and upgraded weapon.

There's at least a few bosses in DS3 that basically don't even acknowledge that the player could be a caster. They don't have ranged attacks in their rotation or moves that close the distance to people trying to stay away.

Yup.
Dancer and Aldrich
are pretty easy if you're a caster.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
okay. Watchers of the Abyss. WTF.

Insane range. Hit like a truck. No use of shield, because, well, fuck this game design : shield and evade on the same resource. ha, who thought that was a good idea lmao. Their heavy sword attack nullified your stamina.

Can't parry. They have faster recover than me with a single hand weapons. Fair.

Insane agressivity. Game never connect back stab for some reason on these fuckers.

They are two. For some reason a trash sometimes appear and take agro, sometimes it doesn't take aggro, sometimes it agro me. okay........

I can sometimes cheese it with a Pike, and just poke poke poke and they prey to evade to recharge stamina and poke poke poke again.

Then Phase 2. The guy has the auto lock on his attacks ? no use of evasive rolls he always connects his attacks right on my fucking face.

This is some next level bullshit boss. This is Ludwig all over again. 3 hours on this fucking bullshit of spam fest.

I enjoy larger boss much more than fast agressive bullshit fuckers

I'm a rather noob player and this is my first "Souls" game (not counting Bloodborne), but once you find the trick to it the Abyss Watchers are so predictable and easy to lure and kill. I made a video of my own fight once I understood how to lure it into doing the move I needed to kill him. Check if you like, it can help because comes from not a pro and I play NOT like a pro XD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbc7bBpOxrY

Though now I'm totally stuck at the
Lothric Castle's Boss
, fuck it lol

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm quite happy with my character look now
Code:
[IMG]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/271715738866794538/C9C4C5A710CD7D596042D00C44E1643F3E4A2131/[/IMG]

Time to put that helmet on...

SkylineRKR

Why the fuck doess From Software keep doing the same shit for their games? For every difficult boss, there's always a gauntlet of enemies to run thru before you can try the boss again. In DS3 they even have shit where the enemies can hit you thru the boss fog. At best you avoid them all but at worst one of them hits you and you have to chug a flask, leaving less for the boss fight.

Also god damn
Pontiff. That cocksucker has shit like 7 hit combos and none of my weapons do more than like 160 damage per hit. I'm pretty good at dodging (150h of Bloodborne) but anytime there's a window for attack you are usually just far enough that you won´t hit. And that phase two is even more bullshit.

Phase 2 is easier.
He loses his long combos. His jumping attack and projectile are easily negated and punished. Remember that the clone does the exact same shit so you have to wait out a second dodge.

I'd use a shield here, honestly. Strafe around to your right and keep shield up, punish after he whiffs and drop your shield now and then to regain stamina faster. When stamina is low, prepare a roll. Invis frames increase ring was key here.

You can punish when he summons his shadow, but watch out for the dark AoE.

taybul

Also god damn

Been playing this BB style and for this boss stick to his left hip, as in walk right up to him and move around his left side. When he starts to combo some of his attacks will miss completely. You will also have to dodge some. For his second phase try to keep his shadow close to him.

2-handing does give you stronger attacks but I think I read somewhere that only if you're also investing points in STR.

Siegmeyer

Ok I don't see a point to using a refined gem on a black blade +5 it says C for both Dex and str however it will be the same with the heavy gem.

Sharp says e for str and b for Dex.

So does this mean both heavy and refined are the same however if I roll Dex this blade will be at its best?

The scaling will likely differ as you upgrade it more.

Jyrii

Banned
Estus Shard allow you to carry more Flask. Undead Bone Shard you toss them in the firelink shrine bonefire and it'll make them more potent.

Oh lord, I really should pay more attention to the descriptions. I am at Ir
ithyll of the Boreal Valley
and I am still rocking Estus Flask +1

daninthemix

Man the dancer knights in Irithyl were no joke. I had to add them to the list of enemies that I try to avoid, rather than kill. Don't give a damn what loot they may be guarding.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Oh lord, I really should pay more attention to the descriptions. I am at Ir
ithyll of the Boreal Valley
and I am still rocking Estus Flask +1

Hahah yeah been there.
Figured the Shards made it more difficult in the area of the bonfire.

But no.

Almost end game before I noticed :D

NO ESTUS MODE!

K' Dash

No boss in I
rithyll
D
ungeon
? I went through there as fast as I could, I'll return later for exploration...

Mupod

I only need one shackle to give to the crows and I never figured out how to join team purple. I'm getting on to mid-late game now and still have no idea (I obviously killed the tree ages ago).

okay. Watchers of the Abyss. WTF.

Phase 1: Let them fight.gif
Phase 2: Keep your distance and only go in after a long combo or jump attack leaves him vulnerable. Backstab then charged R2 as he gets up. Practicing as a phantom is nice as you can more safely learn when to go in. One thing to watch out for is the dash attack - one variant leaves behind a trail of fire that can pretty much instagib you.

Something interesting is that learning this fight well will serve you well later on as a boss that people complain about constantly fights kind of similarly. At least
Pontiff
felt like that to me.

Felt kinda bad for an invader in I
rithyll
D
ungeon
. I already had two sunbros with me, and then two Blue Sentinels spawned at the same for some reason, so he had five people running after him. Unfortunately right after we killed him the game crashed, which has been happening somewhat frequently on PS4.

Key to A
byss Watchers
second phase is to roll into him when he does the jumping swirl attack. You'll be right behind him for a backstab or 2-3 free hits.

Rolling away from that boss just makes him harder because he's fairly aggressive.

Beat it! What a ride, and that last boss made me sweat.

This was a phenomenal effort and felt like a true sequel to Dark Souls lore wise. Loved the callbacks to both games.

squadr0n

Also what is the best upgrade path for the Uchigatana? Currently its at +5, should I infuse it and if so when is the best time too and with what type? What is considered the best katana? I just found the Dark Blade too but it doesnt seem to be any better, could be wrong though.

Citadel

Is there a way to upgrade armor, or just weapons and shields? I'm using the Armor of Thorns (with the spiked shield and barbed sword, although the latter I'm not using until I level it up a little more to match my +4 broadsword at least)

Also god damn

The Dragon Crest Shield will get you through this boss easily.

LiK

Is there a way to upgrade armor, or just weapons and shields? I'm using the Armor of Thorns (with the spiked shield and barbed sword, although the latter I'm not using until I level it up a little more to match my +4 broadsword at least)

Nope. Armor is set.

Phew. Just beat P
ontiff Suckaduck
. First three times I tried, I died within ten seconds of entering the fog gate. Finally I summoned an NPC phantom for help, figured I'd use him as a test dummy and learn the boss's move set before summoning a real buddy to help. Turns out all I needed was a second person to give me time to learn his attacks, and ended up beating him pretty easy that time. I actually found phase two easier because of how much warning you get as to what attacks are coming. Will probably try and solo him next time around, I think I can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom