• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExVicis

Not sure why it matters how many Mimics there are. Standard operating procedure for opening any chest in the game should be to hit it twice, just in case the first hit glanced off of a wall or something. You don't even need to read Messages. Plus if you see a pool (or multiple pools) of blood, you know that the chances of a Mimic are 99%.
Why even bother hitting them? Just look for the regular signs and you'll know it's not a mimic, takes maybe 2 seconds to just look at it and know.

J-Rod

Level 35 and +4 weapon

Too high?

That seems like a good range or at least when I was getting the most. However, it has been pretty erratic for me. At one point I was getting summoned so fast and so often that I didn't even have enough time to unequip the covenant between summons. Other times, I won't get summoned for hours. I suspect as people progress, there are less and less people wearing the covenant that summons help while more and more blues are joining for items.

Plum

I can actually see that with a big weapon. I'd still like the endurance for rolls, personally. Either case, nice job surviving with that sliver. I love it when duels come down to the last hair.

You get so many rolls with so little END it doesn't really matter. I'll likely focus on END when I make my second, DEX build.

And thanks. The weapon I'm using is so damn good not many people know how to counter it. It's great when I find someone who puts up a good fight no matter if I win or lose (lose mostly)

There isn't a poison swamp in Dark Souls 2. ;) But there is a poison-themed area I guess.

Valley of Defilement was Miyazaki's favourite level in Demon's Souls. Expect a poison swamp in every Soulsborne game. It's a tradition. Personally I think they're pretty neat. *shrugs*

I've yet to truly enjoy a poison area in a Souls game so far. I'd say DS3's is my favorite across all the games though because it's sort of an interesting set up. If they didn't have the sections that you had to slog through or had an item you could find that let you move at normal speed, I'd be much more okay with the level overall.

This is also why I'm really hoping From/Miyazaki does a Sci-Fi Souls game because I think it would make then have to create new fresh environments, instead of "Okay here's the forest level. Okay here's the poison level. Okay here's the lava level. Okay here's the tomb level with skeletons." My favorite levels have been the ones that have had something unique about them. Tower of Latria in Demon's, Sen's Fortress in DS, the wharf in DS2, Old Yharnam in Bloodborne. Can't say any of the generic forest levels have really stood out in any game, regardless of how well designe: the layout may be.

ZangBa

I was a little surprised there weren't any chests with traps in them. It's easy to spot a mimic, but traps are just chance. Unless there are signs and bloodstains everywhere, of course.

Onemic

I've yet to truly enjoy a poison area in a Souls game so far. I'd say DS3's is my favorite across all the games though because it's sort of an interesting set up. If they didn't have the sections that you had to slog through or had an item you could find that let you move at normal speed, I'd be much more okay with the level overall.

This is also why I'm really hoping From/Miyazaki does a Sci-Fi Souls game because I think it would make then have to create new fresh environments, instead of "Okay here's the forest level. Okay here's the poison level. Okay here's the lava level. Okay here's the tomb level with skeletons." My favorite levels have been the ones that have had something unique about them. Tower of Latria in Demon's, Sen's Fortress in DS, the wharf in DS2, Old Yharnam in Bloodborne. Can't say any of the generic forest levels have really stood out in any game, regardless of how well designe: the layout may be.

I really hope this is the last Dark Souls game, at least with this current setting. Sci-fi souls would be pretty damn interesting.

DukeBobby

Had the (late game optional boss)
Nameless King
down to a fraction of health three times in a row.

I'm being too greedy with those last few hits. I need to be patient.

Nabbis

Ugh... Should have spoiled myself before i got the game. I fucked up so much on my first playthrough even though i was being careful.

Demoskinos

Speaking of Poison does Poison resistance work with toxic? Or is there no way to mitigate toxic build up other than the cure items?

StMeph

Why even bother hitting them? Just look for the regular signs and you'll know it's not a mimic, takes maybe 2 seconds to just look at it and know.

Seems more expedient and general due diligence.

DS3's poison bog has definitely been the least demanding poison area among all five games.

While I'm all for a fresh take just so it's not the same things again in Souls, nothing really precludes them from a "poison planet" or "lava planet" and throw a new coat of paint on the same things.

I'd like another mechanical departure in addition to any thematic changes. Bloodborne ditched shields and forced a complete playstyle revolution for anyone used to blocking in Souls. There should be something else that makes the game behave differently if it's going to really move on in a different direction.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
TFW you think you outsmarted your enemy.... [spoilers for late game area?]
HAHAHAHA, was expecting it because of your line but still funny. I love vids like that.

Fair enough. I don't mind some of the "traditional" Souls areas, but sometimes they are a bit boring. Honestly Darkroot Garden is kind of boring to me, but I enjoyed Forbidden Woods. I enjoyed all the poison areas for various reasons (atmosphere, mostly, but also how rewarding the exploration is), including Nightmare Frontier which blew my mind in Bloodborne (first part I had seen that was
100% Lovecraftian
and I wasn't expecting it). I like each take they have on Catacombs, but I can see why that'd become stale to someone.

Speaking of Poison does Poison resistance work with toxic? Or is there no way to mitigate toxic build up other than the cure items?
I'd like to know this too. Also, how do you get more blooming moss? Handmaiden was only selling like, 3.

Edit:
Souls games are getting old really, time for new stuff.
Heh, can't agree. I just beat DS3 and already started a new character and can't wait for the DLC. These games never get old to me...

If it's like BB DLC, I can't wait to see what they come up with.

But we know what to expect right, you kinda need to understand (or just be aggressive and lucky) the mechanics for the boss fights but we've seen it all before. Souls games are getting old really, time for new stuff.

Salsa

I dont know if they're throwing more armor at me than ever or what but weight is really bothering me this time around (staying under 70 I mean)

odd. kinda hit a roof with endurance too

Have you been through
Irithyll Dungeon
yet? Atmosphere as thick as
Tower of Latria
even more oppressive too due to its length (it's kicking my butt). The area after the Catacombs was good as is the boss of the Catacombs itself, imo.

Great to hear that things get better. I think the uninspired design of
The Deacons
took the wind out of my sails.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I dont know if they're throwing more armor at me than ever or what but weight is really bothering me this time around (staying under 70 I mean)

odd. kinda hit a roof with endurance too
You need to raise vigor for more armour burden, not endurance... if you mix and match with lighter gloves/boots it's easy to stay under 70%. Though that depends on your weapon(s) loadout I guess.

I went into NG+, so I could get started on all the rings and gestures and whatever else I missed, and got invaded immediately after entering the High Wall for the first time. The person seemed very PVP-y, had some UGS and was invisirolling and all that. I just slid around and whiffed all my attacks because I'm terrible at hitting people. Eventually they got a few hits in, but their last one left me with the tiiiiniest sliver of HP left. So I stood there waiting for them to continue attacking...and they just bowed at me and crystal'd out. Very bizarre.

Then I got called in for bluepolice duty twice, but my game spent so long loading in that the host/phantoms killed the invaders before I even got there :(

Finalow

So, Prisoner's Chain worth it or not for end game pvp? Keep going back on forth with it.
definitely worth it. it hardly penalizes you, as far as I know people who tested it saw a very little change to damage taken. hence it's basically 15 free stats.

Thanks. Will I receive a reward if i turn in the required amount of items but i'm not currently in the covenant?
it doesn't really matter since you can change covenants whenever you want in a matter of seconds, but yeah, you will.

ZangBa

I hate sci-fi, so a sci-fi replacement Souls game would annoy me. After beating DS3, I started up a new character and having a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind if Dark Souls kept going like Final Fantasy, at least there hasn't been a bad game yet for me.

Is it normal for the
flying creatures at lothric castle
to become rainbow colored after
killing lorian and lothric
It seems like a glitch, but I'm not really sure :p

Xux

I only got in one attempt after beating the last two bosses and then quitting for the night but I'd argue that
Dancer
could be my favorite design in the series.

Sblargh

Banned
Nameless King
is such a legit boss fight. It felt like they finally managed to get some of that Artoras of the Abyss boss fight perfection into there.

Bosses in this game are usually so aggressive, with not that much health, so I really enjoyed that this fight has a boss with a huge HP pool and predictable (tho not that easy to dodge) attacks. I used all my Estus and he still had around 20% of health, so I popped that Ember and went "this is my final form!" on his ass!
So good.

Nope he sounds currect actually. There is many a time a whole bunch of shit to run past you have already killed 20 times to fight a boss again. Is he supposed to grind them every single time? Or Trolololol git gud?

I'm insulted that you'd associate me with the git gud crowd.

All I'm saying is that I don't see how you could expect to have a good time with the game if the way you're playing it is to run past everything to the boss.

It's perfectly valid to get bored and tired of fighting your way past everything 20 times, and moreover perfectly valid to see running past everything as a solution to avoiding the enemies. I'm not saying "you must fight everything, and you must enjoy it," and I'm not saying that there can't be ways to remove friction that's outlived its function (DSII did this pretty well).

But the attrition of surviving the enemies as you progress (and preserving resources on your way to the next bonfire or boss) is part of how the game is designed and balanced, so I don't know why you'd expect the developers to care to accommodate or encourage that particular strategy of just running past everything, that's all. It's not in their ethos.

Salsa

40 has always been the cutoff where Endurance stops providing any more Stamina. There's also not any major +Stamina rings, it seems like.

nah I meant in weight capacity

You need to raise vigor for more armour burden, not endurance... if you mix and match with lighter gloves/boots it's easy to stay under 70%. Though that depends on your weapon(s) loadout I guess.

I remembered this but it also doesnt seem to work as I always go ham on vigor at first

I dont know. I got that weight ring from a boss soul which was nice tho

that and poise feel odd in this game

but im really liking it

Sblargh

Banned
I hate sci-fi, so a sci-fi replacement Souls game would annoy me. After beating DS3, I started up a new character and having a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind if Dark Souls kept going like Final Fantasy, at least there hasn't been a bad game yet for me.

The problem really is Miyazaki. And by that, I mean, if he wants to stop making these games, we should encourage him.

Gaming has so few auteurs, they shouldn't be slaves to a single franchise for decades.

ZangBa

The problem really is Miyazaki. And by that, I mean, if he wants to stop making these games, we should encourage him.

Gaming has so few auteurs, they shouldn't be slaves to a single franchise for decades.

IIRC he didn't have much to do with DS2, which up until now has been my favorite(could still be, but giving time for that new game hype to go away).

So if he leaves it up to another team, I'm all for it. Unpopular opinion, but I don't care.

myco666

So what I should do before starting next journey? Already collected all the new rings from NG+ and will probably get all slabs that I can since they are finite. Anything else? I am super paranoid starting next cycle in these games.

neoism

Even better;
just throw the charm, loot the chest while it's sleeping, then ignore the mimic completely after that.

Hahahaha, no lies.

You monster :( why would you do that?

Actually I wonder... about Siegward,
I got his slab and he joined me for Yhorm but it trivialized the boss. So to experience the boss "properly", can I still do the quest and get the titanite slab? He gives the slab after being rescued right? Any way to make him NOT appear at Yhorm without killing him in his cell? I'd feel bad... :(

because
after he helps kill that boss he just dies and gives you his armor anyway... i had already kilt the boss so its the only way to get his armor otherwise.....

i still feel bad.... onion brooooo 😭

Arjen

So what I should do before starting next journey? Already collected all the new rings from NG+ and will probably get all slabs that I can since they are finite. Anything else? I am super paranoid starting next cycle in these games.

Kill al the NPCs? You can buy slabs in end game btw.

Sullichin

Yeah it is, but 100 feels so good and balanced. Not sure what everyone else is doing pvp wise though, might wait a week or so before leveling up anymore.

I'm 108 now and probably going closer to 120. Want more VIT to wear armor I like. 10-20 levels isn't going to change your build and make you OP

What's a good weapon to use in PVP when it's me vs 3 other gankers? I don't think my Lothric Knight Sword would be good enough, even though it's absolutely a beast in 1v1.

Sullichin

What's a good weapon to use in PVP when it's me vs 3 other gankers? I don't think my Lothric Knight Sword would be good enough, even though it's absolutely a beast in 1v1.

Unlocked heavy attacks with the biggest weapon you can find. Killed 3 people with the great club this way.

But most of the time in these situations I just die.

eot

Banned
Just got to A
nor Londo

That building you see up on the cliff side, when looking out from the O&S hallway, looks a lot like the church in the Undead Parish. It's even facing the correct way if this were Lordran. I'm hoping I get to go there. Also, it's kinda funny how they took a dead world and made it feel even more dead. Those fire mage guys being there feels wrong, I wnat to kill them because they don't belong lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom