• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblargh

Banned
You know, on my first playthrough I was kind of cold on this game, still putting DS1 as my absolute favorite, now on this second run, I am enjoying the game much more, almost at the end, too and already thinking about how my third character will be.

Also, I made a bunch of bad decisions on my first run that made the game unecessarily more difficulty, as in:
Using embers on the way to the boss instead of the boss, meaning I fought all of them without summons.
Not using the bone shard to level up my estus out of fear it would make the game harder (because burning stuff that level up the bonfire made the game harder on DS2), so in order to heal from a tough attack by the end of the game, I was basically chugging 4 flasks on a row to get back to health.

And also my character build was garbage, but that's to be expected on a first run.

But not only that, one of the things I love about these games are the predictability. I like knowing where each enemy is, where each trap is and so on. As of right now, it looks like this game will age as well as DS1 has.
It seems to have a lot more build variety than DS1; otoh, it is a lot more linear, so I can't do stuff like rushing through the catacombs right at the start on a suicide run to get the scythe; on the third hand, weapon variety on the early areas seems to be perfect, so you can pretty much find the type of weapon you want right at the start without having to do anything crazy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nameless King
is such a legit boss fight. It felt like they finally managed to get some of that Artoras of the Abyss boss fight perfection into there.

Bosses in this game are usually so aggressive, with not that much health, so I really enjoyed that this fight has a boss with a huge HP pool and predictable (tho not that easy to dodge) attacks. I used all my Estus and he still had around 20% of health, so I popped that Ember and went "this is my final form!" on his ass!
So good.
Hahaha that's great. Yeah I saved my embers for phase 2 myself. 'Cause sometimes the stupid
fire breath
would kill me in phase 1. -_-

nah I meant in weight capacity

I remembered this but it also doesnt seem to work as I always go ham on vigor at first
Fuck sorry, I think I got it confused with Vitality. Vigor raises HP and Vitality raises Equip Burden.

Confusing since the Vitality stat was originally HP-related in Demon's and Dark 1, then that changed to Vigor in DS2 (with VIT being equip burden -- which was originally Endurance!), then back to Vitality in Bloodborne, and back again to Vigor in DS3. Aaargh.

Steel

Banned
What's a good weapon to use in PVP when it's me vs 3 other gankers? I don't think my Lothric Knight Sword would be good enough, even though it's absolutely a beast in 1v1.

Curved sword+spin slash+Knight Slayer's Ring. You gotta time it right though, and have enough stamina to follow up properly. Normal swing can also hit 180 degrees around you.

Demoskinos

Oh man. Just beat Oc
eiros The consumed King
on my first go. Not a horribly tough fight but still really neat. And holy shit the sounds coming out of the boss room as you walk up to it are bone chilling WTF was that.

DS3's poison bog has definitely been the least demanding poison area among all five games.

While I'm all for a fresh take just so it's not the same things again in Souls, nothing really precludes them from a "poison planet" or "lava planet" and throw a new coat of paint on the same things.

I'd like another mechanical departure in addition to any thematic changes. Bloodborne ditched shields and forced a complete playstyle revolution for anyone used to blocking in Souls. There should be something else that makes the game behave differently if it's going to really move on in a different direction.

My vision of sci-fi souls involves more ranged combat focused. You still have a lot of melee weapon leeway too, but I'd like to see faster combat focused more on dodging and shooting as well as combos into melee attacks. Something like the trick weapon system from Bloodborne but switching from melee to a gun, and eliminating the sluggishness of bow aiming from the previous Souls games. It would also force From to make some new style bosses that are more focused on at-range duels than bosses who get up in your face all the time.

I hate sci-fi, so a sci-fi replacement Souls game would annoy me. After beating DS3, I started up a new character and having a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind if Dark Souls kept going like Final Fantasy, at least there hasn't been a bad game yet for me.

I don't want Sci-Fi Souls to replace Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but I think new cyberpunk/sci-fi setting could open up a lot of new ideas that could freshen up the series and maybe inspire interesting changes in the other settings.

Sullichin

The one in the air? Just run, but have to be quick on your feet, or else you're tanking that.

Yeah I always try to run away from it and have never been able to lol. I've had similar issues with Kalameet's fire breath and Ancient Dragon in 2. Don't know why those attacks are so hard for me. I don't get like anywhere near far away enough it seems.

Sephzilla

Yeah I always try to run away from it and have never been able to lol. I've had similar issues with Kalameet's fire breath and Ancient Dragon in 2. Don't know why those attacks are so hard for me. I don't get like anywhere near far away enough it seems.

To be fair I think everyone had trouble with the Ancient Dragon's fire breath in 2 because that attack was straight up bullshit

Sblargh

Banned
I really can't figure out how to avoid that attack at all. I can beat that boss but I always wind up chugging after that attack.

I just roll through it.
Not away from it by any means, I run torwards the boss and roll through it. It looks weird, but works every time. Sometimes I can even reach him before the animation stops, so that's a bunch of free hits.

Edit: Oh, you mean the one that comes from above? He justs does that if you're behind or under him, so I just avoid being on those places.

When I summon people for
Yorhm
they seem to have some kinda crazy sword that does like 4k+ damage. What is this? Should I have that for this fight?

One thing I do think's tedious about DS3 is how many miniboss-class enemies there are that respawn (e.g. gargoyles, black goo, giant fat knight in High Wall). It was always satisfying beating those larger enemies in the past games, knowing that you'd made the area a bit safer, but here they're just a nuisance to be avoided every time you run through the level.

I think it's bizarre they still have the same death sound effect that used to signal 'that one ain't coming back, fuck yeah!'. I was annoyed when I realized that fat shit on the High Wall was still there. Fully agreed, you should be able to make the zone a bit 'safer'.

Ryuuga

Banned
Has anyone encountered an endless loading screen? I'm playing on PC and it started happening around the time I stopped playing last night, but it's happening again upon loading up my game today.

EDIT: Nevermind it sorted itself out somehow.

IbukiLordSA

Why are people so scared to fight invaders? I have run into so many instances like this where the guys just run away even though they have other people with them, how many summons do you want before you try and fight like 50 lol?

I can't understand, even for summons if you die then who cares you lose nothing so why not just fight? Instead of hiding from 1 person when you have another 2 on your side? I actually had to cut the video by like 2 minutes because the guys just stood there trying to summon people.

Ignore the Darkmoon dude, I think he was just shocked that the covenant actually worked lol. Anyway this was the first time I tried the Gotthard Twinswords and I really like them so far, nice moveset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tShy4867Zy8

Sullichin

When I summon people for
Yorhm
they seem to have some kinda crazy sword that does like 4k+ damage. What is this? Should I have that for this fight?

Yeah. It's in his room.
It's a callback from Demon's Souls, where it does the same thing.
Charge the weapon art and attack

Sephzilla

Why are people so scared to fight invaders?

A halfway decent invader can seriously fuck things up for you and fuck you over come boss time, especially if you already have an allied phantom summoned because then you can't go back to a bonfire to replenish estus. On that note I'd just like to say that I think the invader spawn points kind of stink in this game, it seems like players can easily bolt to a boss gate before an invader ever has a chance to confront them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kicking is incredibly hard in this game. I can successfully pull off a kick maybe one out of ten times.

You have to do a flicking motion. Don't press the stick up like normal, flick it and time your R1 with the flick.

It feels different then the older games, but once you get it down you should be able to do it consistently.

IbukiLordSA

On that note I'd just like to say that I think the invader spawn points kind of stink in this game, it seems like players can easily bolt to a boss gate before an invader ever has a chance to confront them.

Yeah that's why I started invading in dukes archive, only once or twice have I had the problem where they enter the boss fight. Other areas especially
Anor Londo
is crazy, you are lucky if you get a fight and if you do it's usually 3 people waiting for you.

Speaking of kicking. I absolutely hate how they tuned it (or changed it). I'm not sure why but I pull off kicks in the middle of my attacks on bosses sometimes and it just makes me miss sooooooo much damage. Never had a problem with it before but I do it way too often now.

I wish I could just remap how it's executed.

Took down
Pontiff
last night and finished exploring
Irithyll

Loved the entire area top to bottom. The boss fight took me about 8 tries. His first half, I totally cheesed with my Dragonrider Bow. I took headshots until he does the huge sword leap. Rolled and ran away to the other side of the room and repeated until I got him down to a little over half health.

Amusingly, I thought his second phase was easier. Once he starts
trying to spawn in his a duplicate
, he becomes much more predictable. I stayed at range and got him into an attack loop where he kept trying that leap into the air and slam the sword to the ground. His
duplicate
telegraphs it pretty well. I just rolled out of the way and did a 3 hit combo and repeated.

Felt good! Onto the dungeons.

pa22word

Yeah I can't even begin to list how many times I've went to kick down something's shield only to swing and catch a mouthful of sword T_T

It's so annoying in part because of how great the kick can be against some enemies, and it ends up being totally unreliable and coin toss as to whether or not it'll actually come out.

I've gotten to the point that unless I have a full health bar I just seek alternative methods at finding an opening.

Fuck ancient dragon. Cheap ass motherfucker. Fucking bullshit aoe that only has like one spot it won't hurt you in.

I straight up just didn't beat him because I wasn't gonna spend a million tries.

N° 2048

Undead Settlement is a maze. Time to take a break and come back with fresh eyes. I'm going to clear out the area slowly.

Is that what people do? Do you usually clear out an area and explore or just run through first to get as far as you can before dying?

Yeah. It's in his room.
It's a callback from Demon's Souls, where it does the same thing.
Charge the weapon art and attack

Cool thanks!

Also my miracle vendor
apparently went nuts and is now missing, can I find her or is she gone forever? Is there another miracle vendor
?

So how good is the Dark Sword? I got one as a drop. It looks kind of cool. Any recommendation on what type of gem to use with it if it's worth it? I'm more of a pyromancer so I haven't upgraded my strength a ton. Would raw be best? or nah?

Oh and I did something called the
Rite of Avowment
, too. I guess its the conclusion of the Anri quest line? I've been trying to stay away from spoilers but I have
8 dark sigils
. Should I have the Firekeeper heal my
curse
? I don't know what the overall outcome is if I maintain myself as the
Lord of Hollows
though it seems as though it has major implications for the ending as speaking to the
knight lady from Anor Londo - she basically tells me to "usurp the fire" when I have the opportunity to do so.
. Sounds ominous but interesting.:)

Anyone have tips in regards to equipment for fighting
Lorian
and
Lothric
? I got the latter down to a sliver of HP, so I think I'm good on the fight itself, I just have to conserve estus better. Does magic / fire-resistnt armor help at all? I'm using a +10 Red-pole Halberd, which seems to be a good compromise between speed and damage, and being able to do a fast attack right out of a dodge roll helps a ton.

Oh and I did something called the
Rite of Avowment
, too. I guess its the conclusion of the Anri quest line? I've been trying to stay away from spoilers but I have
8 dark sigils
. Should I have the Firekeeper heal my
curse
?

Not if you want dat secret ending.

Gator86

I've yet to truly enjoy a poison area in a Souls game so far. I'd say DS3's is my favorite across all the games though because it's sort of an interesting set up. If they didn't have the sections that you had to slog through or had an item you could find that let you move at normal speed, I'd be much more okay with the level overall.

This is also why I'm really hoping From/Miyazaki does a Sci-Fi Souls game because I think it would make then have to create new fresh environments, instead of "Okay here's the forest level. Okay here's the poison level. Okay here's the lava level. Okay here's the tomb level with skeletons." My favorite levels have been the ones that have had something unique about them. Tower of Latria in Demon's, Sen's Fortress in DS, the wharf in DS2, Old Yharnam in Bloodborne. Can't say any of the generic forest levels have really stood out in any game, regardless of how well designe: the layout may be.

Yup, I've hated almost every single poison area across all five games. They're not fun or especially interesting. Too often, I feel like From confuses tension with tedium. Slowly waiting for a poison bar to go down or not being able to see where you're going while the framerate fluctuates wildly isn't tense - it's tedious bullshit. Same with their obsession about making you walk across narrow beams. It's tedious garbage.

Sane_Man

Platinum get!!!!!!!! I'm so happy.

Nameless King and the final boss are actually trivialised when using sorceries. So much easier than melee.

Undead Settlement is a maze. Time to take a break and come back with fresh eyes. I'm going to clear out the area slowly.

Is that what people do? Do you usually clear out an area and explore or just run through first to get as far as you can before dying?
durinh my first time playing, I tend to kill everything explore as much as I can before I reach my limit aka out of estus or die.

Soodanim

After getting over my mild annoyance at having to spoil
Anor Londo
for myself, I've decided to call it a day after beating A
ldrich
, D
ancer
and O
ceiros
The first I beat in 3 or 4 tries (basically rushed him down, no real skill involved).
The second gave me trouble, but I eventually decided to get summoned. I helped a dude, died just before the final hit but still got credit, then immediately went and did it solo myself. I used a bow for the last few hits, no risks.
The third was the 2nd time I've beat a boss first go in this game. First was the
Sage
in the woods.

xorx

Banned
Oh man. Just beat Oc
eiros The consumed King
on my first go. Not a horribly tough fight but still really neat. And holy shit the sounds coming out of the boss room as you walk up to it are bone chilling WTF was that.
Ocelotte!
Apparently he was a Metal Gear fan.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I really can't figure out how to avoid that attack at all. I can beat that boss but I always wind up chugging after that attack.
I managed to dodge it like, once, by running away very fast. But if you aren't fast enough (and you don't have a lot of time to realize "oh shit it's the AOE fire attack") it'll get you and stagger you. And if you make the mistake of having your shield up, well, guard-break and death usually follows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom