• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoweee

Started a new chara as a mage again, this time I'll stay on the mage path for all its course, using the previous playthough knowledge.

Honestly, I'm starting to believe they didn't bother to play-test a sorcerer pass the tutorial. That, or Miyazaki hates magic. After BB and DS3, if the next soul game has shit magic again I expect him to come out and emulate the other Miyazaki: "Sorcery was a mistake, it's nothing but trash".

I think they tested, and then nerfed it late in development. A fair number of bosses just don't have AI that even acknowledges that the player could be taking potshots from afar.

I'm only 10 bosses in, but so far there have only been two bosses that "work" against caster builds in a fun and interesting way: A
byss
W
atchers
and V
ordt
. They can actually close distance against the player pretty quickly.

forrest

formerly nacire
Playing a bit of Dark Souls 3 on my day off and decided to snack on some cookies my wife picked up. Took out the first cookie and had a good laugh!

suncookieihsnh.jpg

Snacking intensifies!

The Avarice helm never dropped for me. I think I killed all the Mimics too :(

What system are you on? If it's PS4 then I can drop you one, although I'm on NG+2 so don't know if that affects password summoning. I could give the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring + 2 as well.

edit: got enough requests for now

LiK

What system are you on? If it's PS4 then I can drop you one, although I'm on NG+2 so don't know if that affects password summoning. I could give the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring + 2 as well.

If anyone else wants any of the rings or weapons let me know, I have all rings and most weapons

Yea! PMing you

gk1225

Neo Member

If anyone else wants any of the rings or weapons let me know, I have all rings and most weapons

Hi, any chance you have another Symbol of Avarice to trade? I asked a few pages ago but it doesn't seem like anyone had an extra. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dlauv

Silver knights at anor londo drop it. Put on the mimmic helmet for item find boost. I farmed silver knight set in 20 mins n got 3 concord in that time

Yeah, I've got 99 luck, covetous +2, and avarice helmet for 399 item find, but I'm not so lucky I guess.

Item find only increases their chance to drop "something," rather than easing rare drop chance apparently. Altho I guess it kind of does in a roundabout way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fucking champion asshole piece of shit, final boss was easier than this shitheel and his endless combos
This boggles my mind. Got Champion first try, took several tries to only just barely kill the last boss.

Yeah but it's kinda trollish,i mean the first time you wouldn't think that a new boss fight will trigger right away, i was like 'ok,now i'll climb the ladder and see what's in there,then i'll use my souls..wait what!?'
I guess the dancer is there to compensate for how easy the fight against yorm was.
I knew it'd trigger a boss fight because
of all the bloodstains in that area, I knew something was up. So I homewarded out of there and came back, haha.

Was there a trigger to defeat A
ncient
W
yvern
that I didn't know about? I made a recording and not sure what happened... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCJS...utu.be&t=2m10s
Hmm that is weird. No idea what happened.

I have beaten every boss via jolly Cooperation, some I didn't even bother to try solo and did co-op first try. Right now I'm just finishing up the
Grand Archives

Am I scum? My friends who tend to be on the solo purist side look down upon me. :(

I swear in my next run I'll fight them solo!
You should! Well of course you play the game however you like. But coop completely trivializes most encounters including bosses. It's still fun to play coop but it wrecks the balance and you lose a big part of the game's soul (no pun intended).

Yesterday on my second character I cooped the entire Farron Keep. What took me hours, with several deaths, constant needing to rest at bonfires, etc. and ~10 tries on the boss, took... what, 15-20 minutes total? My sunbro called "Artorias" helped me wreck every monster in the swamp, loot pretty much everything, and then with little estus left we entered the boss room and... no problem, we wrecked them with barely a sweat. xD Geez...

Same thing with Vordt really. I cooped him on my new character and it was ridiculous, especially since I was just throwing fireballs at a distance. You don't need to know their attack patterns or be careful about anything.

Man, the knight ganks in Lothric are something else. Does Miyazaki want us to cheese with a bow or something?
Uh, probably. Using a bow to lure enemies 1 by 1 is a Souls series staple. :p

Dat A-team tracking ;)

Whoa, hunter charms work like Lloyd's talismans? I had no idea.
Same item description. ;)

JDB

Banned
So beat the final boss. Managed to do it on my first go, unkindled (though I did use all my estus by the end).
Honestly he was very lame. Boring design, boring moveset, and no story build up or interesting lore. Oh well, at least the Nameless King was cool as shit.
Boring move set? He had a shitload of varied attacks. He's like the goddamn Avatar of Dark Souls being able to control all elements, haha. He's easily the best final boss of three games. I also liked the throwback to Gwyn in his second phase, thought that was cool.

Ferr986

I refuse to farm the Darkmoon items. I already farmed shit to death with DS2 and BB.... I also didn't got any mimic head...

But on 40 hours and 2 characters I was only summoned as a Bluebro twice....

.... I'm fucked, am I?

Boring move set? He had a shitload of varied attacks. He's like the goddamn Avatar of Dark Souls being able to control all elements, haha. He's easily the best final boss of three games. I also liked the throwback to Gwyn in his second phase, thought that was cool.

I would have enjoyed the Gwyn throwback if it was because at that point I was so tired of DS1 throwbacks.

First form is cool in a DS game I guess, but I didn't feel it was that original as a opossed a full new boss. Also, it comes out of nowhere.

ironcreed

Banned
So beat the final boss. Managed to do it on my first go, unkindled (though I did use all my estus by the end).
Honestly he was very lame. Boring design, boring moveset, and no story build up or interesting lore. Oh well, at least the Nameless King was cool as shit.

My thoughts exactly. Nashandra from Dark Souls 2 blows
Soul of Cinder
away. And yes,
Nameless King
was absolutely epic. Much more challenging as well.

Pejo

Man something was up last night with either the servers or my connection. I doubt it's my connection as I did latency and bandwidth tests, but literally for an hour every summon and invader to my game was doing the lag slide. I eventually just gave up and went to bed. Hope it's not like that again when I get home.

C
atacombs
was a very stressful level. Those
Ninja Skellingtons
were absolutely wrecking me until I got my shield out, and even then weren't easy to take down. Do they drop anything besides Kukri? I feel like if they have a weapon, I want it.

I also finally found a dex weapon I liked, Carthus Curved Sword. Sharp infused it and with Great Magic Weapon, it's got 350 attack at +4, by far my highest at this point in the game. Tested it out vs. D
eacons of the Deep
as a sunbro and literally melted them. Feels really good when the bleed hits. .

ISee

Who is that and why should I care?

It's a very "special" YouTuber. He tends to blame everything but himself for deaths/failing in games. He also likes to rage, he often enough refuses to learn game mechanics and he makes very bad jokes and overall he is a very unsympathetic person and often enough even a racist and a manchild.
In general you shouldn't care about him and I'm surprised that he is still able to be on YT and to earn money.
But his From Software Game Playthroughs are legendary in certain groups. He is really pissed about the games, he doesn't enjoy them in the slightest, he keeps on raging and you can really feel the hate for Dark Souls. But he keeps on playing, for money and views.

Just watch the first two (or so) minutes of TIHYDP - Dark Souls 2. It gives you a good impression. An no, he isn't faking it.

gagecube

Banned
I finally found a heavy gem and I wanted to infuse it with my Darksword, but when I go to the smith the gem doesn't show up? Might I be missing something?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Started a new chara as a mage again, this time I'll stay on the mage path for all its course, using the previous playthough knowledge.

Honestly, I'm starting to believe they didn't bother to play-test a sorcerer pass the tutorial. That, or Miyazaki hates magic. After BB and DS3, if the next soul game has shit magic again I expect him to come out and emulate the other Miyazaki: "Sorcery was a mistake, it's nothing but trash".
I'd say DSIII caster build is second only to DSII's casters. At 60 Int, and 35 attunement I'm plowing my way through the late game. I meet bosses I potshot to death in my first try. Those who resist magic, can eat Chaos Orbs and melt down in seconds.

Finalow

Yeah thats just you getting really lucky with them. I farmed those and didn't get a single drop in a hour with 99 Luck + Symbol of Avarice + Gold Serpent Ring + Rusted Coin.
yep, the drop rate is incredibly low and you need to waste hours on those mobs to get the amount of items needed. it wouldn't be an issue if the covenant was working properly but alas, it's not.

worth it for the DMB buff though.

Anor Londor, Farron Keep before the swamp.
Depends on your level, obviously. With those two spots you'll often come across either 1v1 fights or massive 3v3 or 3v4 etc. fights. I've even had some fun 1v1v1s.

Nice. At level 80 now so I'll try out that first one.

daninthemix

Uh, probably. Using a bow to lure enemies 1 by 1 is a Souls series staple. :p

Cool. Was hoping I wasn't the only player in the world doing this, while everyone else is just charging in, rolling and fending off mutiple enemies simultaneously using a combination of swordplay and ballet!

_Legacy_

Just sacrificed myself to get the last hit on NK while he also KO'd me to beat boss for a host (we were both out of estus and I had no more ashen for pyro fireablls), felt so good! Didn't realise I still get the sunbro swag and souls even though I died.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just sacrificed myself to get the last hit on NK while he also KO'd me to beat boss for a host (we were both out of estus and I had no more ashen for pyro fireablls), felt so good! Didn't realise I still get the sunbro swag and souls even though I died.

I never get Souls when I get killed while getting in the final blow T_T

Sullichin

It's a very "special" YouTuber. He tends to blame everything but himself for deaths/failing in games. He also likes to rage, he often enough refuses to learn game mechanics and he makes very bad jokes and overall he is a very unsympathetic person and often enough even a racist and a manchild.
In general you shouldn't care about him and I'm surprised that he is still able to be on YT and to earn money.
But his From Software Game Playthroughs are legendary in certain groups. He is really pissed about the games, he doesn't enjoy them in the slightest, he keeps on raging and you can really feel the hate for Dark Souls. But he keeps on playing, for money and views.

Just watch the first two (or so) minutes of TIHYDP - Dark Souls 2. It gives you a good impression. An no, he isn't faking it.

Sounds fucking awful. Lol why would I want to watch a 3 hour video of some dude complain about this game.

On another note, Thrall Axe is pretty sweet. Pyro build coming together now that Great Chaos fireball is doing some work.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'd say DSIII caster build is second only to DSII's casters. At 60 Int, and 35 attunement I'm plowing my way through the late game. I meet bosses I potshot to death in my first try. Those who resist magic, can eat Chaos Orbs and melt down in seconds.
Hmm good to know that it's more viable late-game.

Early game I find magic disappointing. I rely on my "backup" sword way too much. How is your Estus allocation? I hate having to sacrifice Estus to play a mage... -_-

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hmm good to know that it's more viable late-game.

Early game I find magic disappointing. I rely on my "backup" sword way too much. How is your Estus allocation? I hate having to sacrifice Estus to play a mage... -_-

5 Ashen Estus for now. It's more than enough. I mostly cast my way through things too. But it's always good to have my Raw Estoc on me depending on the situation.

LiK

Cool. Was hoping I wasn't the only player in the world doing this, while everyone else is just charging in, rolling and fending off mutiple enemies simultaneously using a combination of swordplay and ballet!

Yea, I learned about using bows to pull enemies in Demon's. Pretty much a tradition now. I always have a bow I use strictly for pulling enemies in every Souls game.

Rocketz

What's the point of the (firelink tower item)
? Is there a NPC quest related to it?

its basically a key to allow you the ability to make yourself
unhollow if you decide to accept the dark sigils from Yoel. Dark sigils are free levels but you become hollow when you die. You don't lose life though when you die like DS2. Reversing this will cost you a lot of souls based on your level and sigils you have and cancels out a quest but following this quest does lead you to a alt ending but it is very hard to get

ISee

Sounds fucking awful. Lol why would I want to watch a 3 hour video of some dude complain about this game.

You don't. Other people enjoy his trainwreck playthroughs and even other just enjoy best of montages of his trainwreck playthroughs.

Sullichin

The annoying thing is the huge stat investment before you actually feel like you're playing your build.

Pure melee you just need to invest some phys damage stats, and the rest are free for health and endurance. Go caster and you have to level FP, faith or int as well, and you have to buy spells, and you have to upgrade your catalyst alongside the weapon, and you have to rescue NPCs/find scrolls/etc, and designate some of your estus to mana

Feels like it took forever for my pyromancer to really get going. And now all 4 of my ring slots are devoted to pyro dmg/spell cast time so I have no freedom there either.

Just had a much breezier time swinging around heavy STR weapons.

ISee

I'm in the
Great Archives
atm. Very cool location, imo.
Finally killing the
crystal sage
felt so good.

J-Rod

Hi, any chance you have another Symbol of Avarice to trade? I asked a few pages ago but it doesn't seem like anyone had an extra. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I can hook you up, but I won't be home to do it for another 6-7hrs ; ;

Man I'm about to give up on this and sell it and then buy it again when it's like 15 bucks. Playing this back to back with Bloodborne I just want to play Bloodborne again and do a second run through of old huntets. I'm up to the catacombs and I'm just not enjoying myself that much. Everywhere I go I feel like there's Gangs of annoying enemies (little annoying dudes with swords).
Cathedral of the deep
has probably been my favorite area so far but I really didn't enjoy the enemies there at all and I feel like this game is just going through the motions. Now I'm halfway through the catacombs and honestly I feel like I'm in the chalice dungeons but those were almost as fun.

Maybe I'm missing something but up to this point this is my last on my souls list. Should I press on or just sell and play in a few months time?

JDB

Banned
Final boss question:
How do you do a visceral attack on the final boss? Seems like it should be possible, but I never got the angle right I guess?

ironcreed

Banned
Man I'm about to give up on this and sell it and then buy it again when it's like 15 bucks. Playing this back to back with Bloodborne I just want to play Bloodborne again and do a second run through of old huntets. I'm up to the catacombs and I'm just not enjoying myself that much. Everywhere I go I feel like there's Gangs of annoying enemies (little annoying dudes with swords).
Cathedral of the deep
has probably been my favorite area so far but I really didn't enjoy the enemies there at all and I feel like this game is just going through the motions. Now I'm halfway through the catacombs and honestly I feel like I'm in the chalice dungeons but those were almost as fun.

Maybe I'm missing something but up to this point this is my last on my souls list. Should I press on or just sell and play in a few months time?

I love the hell out of it for the most part, but yeah, they went a little crazy with the ambushes, lol.

Vinter

I struggled to really get into this game after so many of them, but after I started sunbroing I am really enjoying the game. Honestly its more fun helping others than progressing my own game

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My first choke point so far was A
byss
W
alker
. Spent a whole evening on it. First phase was a doddle but the second phase would just chew through all my Estus every time. It never gave me much room to breathe and I wasn't picking up the pattern.

A few rounds this morning didn't fair any better, even with my best
flame-proof gear
. Impatiently, I ran through to the boss rather than take out the local mobs and dived through the fog door. Unfortunately, I got poisoned along the way. "No worries," I thought "I can use a mo--- oh." No moss. That's all I needed. By the second phase, I was down to a few Estus and I'd already used an Ember. Plus, the poison bar was only halfway.

What followed was one of my favourite Souls clutch moments. The pattern must have clicked for me because - though I took enough hits to lose the remainder of my meagre Estus - I dodged like a don and repeatedly
backstabbed
the living bejeezus out of it. I managed to get to the bonfire just before the poison would've finished me off.

I love this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom