• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketz

Ha I just was helping out with some bosses grinding sun bro medals and I was at the P
rinces
fight and the boss got stuck in basically an idle animation, never attacking anyone but still moved around the room. Host was the the same way. Me and the other summon just went to town on the boss until it was over.

_Legacy_

The first part of the
Nameless King
is really stupid.

Wait until you get to the second. Trick to the first part for me was to
stay constantly in front of King of the Storm, dodge and attack the head when the chance arises. This method meant I didn't once get attacked with the dreaded flame from the sky, I find that only ever happens when you linger under the belly.

Spoo

The first part of the
Nameless King
is really stupid.

I agree in principle, but it's so broken (camera), *but*, if you are selective in your lock-on, you can make that fight both 1) relatively easy, and 2) satisfyingly dynamic/cinematic. In other words, you can make it look like some smart editor might make it look for a trailer, in which it has some kind of redeeming qualities. It definitely has a lot of "wow" factor when you play it a certain way, but from a pure gameplay standpoint it's quite lame.

lunlunqq

The first part of the
Nameless King
is really stupid.
The first part is easy. Very much the same as the other bosses in the game. The 2nd part is just something else. Feel so different from anything I've fought in the game. I really don't know how to approach this fight.

Zocano

I agree in principle, but it's so broken (camera), *but*, if you are selective in your lock-on, you can make that fight both 1) relatively easy, and 2) satisfyingly dynamic/cinematic. In other words, you can make it look like some smart editor might make it look for a trailer, in which it has some kind of redeeming qualities. It definitely has a lot of "wow" factor when you play it a certain way, but from a pure gameplay standpoint it's quite lame.

The fight isn't a problem if you don't use lock on. Never have an issue with the first phase.

I'm loving the Exile Greatsword at the moment. Got it to +4 and haven't infused it yet. Got a Quality build going on right now at 26/26, I need a Refined gem to make it even better.

Spoo

The fight isn't a problem if you don't use lock on. Never have an issue with the first phase.

I actually use lock on for part of the fight
: it's useful for when he flies into the air, because he shifts his lighting bolt ever so slightly before he shoots it at you, which is a nice visual tell (there's an audio tell too, I think, but my hearing isn't so hot so I couldn't use that). Also, during that same phase, the camera nicely cooperates when he swoops in for his attack making the dodge there very easy to anticipate
. Other than that, you definitely don't want to use lock-on. In fact, locking on will screw you up badly during the most important damage phase of the first fight
when the dragon breathes fire
. If you're locked-on incorrectly, you'll get hit by fire since your character will attack in that direction. Sucks.

I don't hate the fight. I just think the first part of it is kind of unnecessarily long considering it's nearly trivial in contrast with the second part of the fight.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
in Demons the main reason I got the pure bladestone is because I actually wanted to max a dex weapon
SAME haha. I always make dex builds so I kinda screwed myself over, I really wanted my sharp uchi at +5. Should have just gone with the Hiltless and spent my colorless souls on it haha. Or made it quality+5, it'd still be good just not as good. Oh well, it's done.

Never platinumed DS1 or DS2, don't plan to (why would I waste a slab on a raw or crystal weapon, or go to NG++ just for a miracle I won't use? pffft). I got it for Bloodborne but only by playing normally.

As far as I'm concerned, not having bonfire ascetics is a complete negative. Wish they brought them back.
I didn't care that much myself, but it's weird that they didn't bring those back. I thought it was a cool idea and some people really like it. Guess they want to force people to go to NG+ to make those boss soul choices...

Wait until you get to the second. Trick to the first part for me was to
stay constantly in front of King of the Storm, dodge and attack the head when the chance arises. This method meant I didn't once get attacked with the dreaded flame from the sky, I find that only ever happens when you linger under the belly.

The first part is easy. Very much the same as the other bosses in the game. The 2nd part is just something else. Feel so different from anything I've fought in the game. I really don't know how to approach this fight.
I hate having to waste time with the first phase just go die in part 1 of phase 2.

I just stumbled upon the
Smouldering Lake
optional area. Breaking down that bridge in
Catacombs of Carthus
and descending down was really cool.

Tonight I've had a blast setting my sign down to help people with the two death crocodogs guarding the covenant. It seems like the host gets invaded constantly. It's made for some fun showdowns.

Heysoos

Dumb question, but does the game let you earn achievements(Steam) offline? TWC is having issues in my area at the moment, and it keeps going out. I don't want to keep playing for long periods of time today if I'm not going to get my achievements, dumb I know, but hey.

Hello.

Any tips for matchmaking as a Darkmoon Blade? I had no problems finding players to invade as a Mound Maker and Rosaria Finger, but have had just a single summon as a Blue Phantom. Do you need to be in a particular zone for it to trigger? Really don't wanna have to resort to grinding Silver Knights...

Sullichin

Hahaha I was doing the same thing. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought of that. Overthinking it...

I tried to catch the ultra greatsword skeleton dude on there but he was too fast and got to the other side. Then he flew over me and fell down while I descended the ladder.

... But he was still alive on the botton. Chased me through the room with the demon and mimic.

Still having trouble with
Twin Princes
... I'm getting consistently better at it, and had them both down to a point where one more hit would have done it. Unfortunately, I died first.

Anyone have any additional tips? I have the fight down pretty well, but it's the lucky shots they get that do me in. Do I go heavy armor to lighten damage, or keep my Dancer armor and go w/o a shield to stay light? I've been using a red-poled halberd +10, but I also have a Flamberge +10... It's slower, though. Opinions?

Meccs

Just finished the game. Got the
Usurpation of fire
ending without aiming for it (didn't read any guides). Quite happy since that is the one I would have wanted after reading about the other ones.

The question is: What now? PvP? Right into NG or making a new character?

Did anyone else completely miss the C
athedral?
The path seems pretty obscure, I thought I had fully explored the area leading up to it my first time through but I went back and realized I had missed a pretty significant area.

dealer-

Twin Princes
... I'm getting consistently better at it, and had them both down to a point where one more hit would have done it. Unfortunately, I died first.

Anyone have any additional tips? I have the fight down pretty well, but it's the lucky shots they get that do me in. Do I go heavy armor to lighten damage, or keep my Dancer armor and go w/o a shield to stay light? I've been using a red-poled halberd +10, but I also have a Flamberge +10... It's slower, though. Opinions?

Stay light and use the Carthus Milkring for rolling, I wouldn't bother with a shield.

Yeah, I'm close to giving up solo on this one, hits like a truck during the second and third phases and I always mess up a roll/dodge at some point.

MilkBeard

The area you are doesn't mean anything as a Bluebro. You can be in one area and get summoned in another.

Not true, I don't think. Besides, if you never try, then you'll never know.

I believe that there is some priority to the area you are in. If that was true, then you would just need to stand in any area for 5 minutes and get summoned. It doesn't happen though. If you are in the areas with more activity where people are wearing the Way of Blue then you will get priority over people in a different area.

For example, standing in
Anor Londo
probably won't get you a summon, because most people aren't wearing it because of all the other covenant activity gets priority (people are wearing other covenant items.)

EDIT: There is a possibility that the area doesn't matter at all, although I would say the covenant is not as broken as people say in the late game, because I seem to get summoned about every 3-5 minutes when standing in those areas I mentioned. I am testing it in
Anor Londo
as we speak.

Spoo

Twin Princes

I remember shield not being hugely useful for that fight -- trying to tank hits didn't work so well; just sucked stamina right out and left you there for the follow up.

Both phases are pretty similar, so my guess is if you're having trouble with the second phase, you're still having trouble with the first phase. (The magic is easy to dodge in second phase, and if you have a shield that's one of the few times it is actually kind of useful).

Obviously keep yourself under 70% so you're not fat rolling. IIRC there's really only 3 attacks this boss does, one of them is a 2 hit combo, a 3 hit combo, and then a big slash (there may be more but I don't remember seeing them). Get used to distinguishing between the combos: don't overextend! Always have stamina for a roll. Playing it safe on this boss and only hitting once, at max twice, is a sure way to keep yourself mobile for anything he does.

The hardest part of realizing that the boss doesn't "reset" whatever he is doing when he warps. If he started with a windup, and warps, then he will warp in hitting. If you get used to rolling when he warps back in nomatter what he does, you'll avoid the hit.

If he uses the big slash, it's a pretty punishable move. As is usual with bosses like these, try to stay to the side and back of him -- this gives you more time to react with a roll if he winds up, or launches into a combo.

If you're at half health, move back and heal up, but only when it's safe. If he's crawling toward you, you're good. If he warps in, delay the heal until your sure. You can also heal after a big slash safely.

In second phase, other than the added magic (which is really easy to dodge), you need to need to try landing attacks *exclusively* on his back. Do it right, and you can 1 cycle the boss because you hit both bosses. Try to hoard estus for this second fight so you can make a few mistakes.

kagamin

Did anyone else completely miss the C
athedral?
The path seems pretty obscure, I thought I had fully explored the area leading up to it my first time through but I went back and realized I had missed a pretty significant area.

I beat
Old Demon King
before even bothering to go back and check, mostly because I realized I missed some items.

I'm really not enjoying Irithyll Dungeon at all.

Health constantly shrinking, unending bleed buildup, and those damn basilisks! just no fun at all.

MilkBeard

I'm going to test and see if, invading with a red eye orb as a Blade of the Darkmoon will give me covenant drops when killing the Faithful while in
Anor Londo.
I've found that putting the co op sign as a Blademoon with the same function does not grant the item.

_Legacy_

Yeah, I'm close to giving up solo on this one, hits like a truck during the second and third phases and I always mess up a roll/dodge at some point.

I got to the point where I was questioning my own existence!

I always messed up a couple of rolls until I found it much easier after learning to roll twice. For example, whenever I saw him preparing for a lunge, I would roll when he started, waited one sec then rolled again, might make no sense but it worked for me with the timings.

DPB

What weapons are high level pyromancers using? I've currently got a max level chaos infused dark sword. My key stats are the following: Int - 38, Faith - 35, Str - 30, Dex - 26. I'm looking to try something other than dark sword (and still do high damage), I have all the mats I need to make take any weapon to max.

I'm using the Astora Greatsword, it has really good chaos scaling, I've only got it to +6 and it's already at B. I really like the moveset, it has the charge skill that spears get which is fun for mowing down enemies from a distance. It's an ultra greatsword though, so you have to be careful with your stamina usage, but it only weighs 8.0.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's kind of weird how Dark Souls III is like backwards Dark Souls. DS1 has an amazing first half but completely runs of gas post Anor Londo. Dark Souls III starts out with levels are either semi wonky homages to previous things, and features quite possibly the blandest looking area From Software has ever created. But immediately after that particular place it's like a long string of 10 out of 10 areas, with some of the most aesthestically phenomenal places being essentially the end game. The best bosses, and level design is the 2nd half of the game. I think it's the first time I've ever felt that way in one of these games since Demon's Souls.

J-Skee

Quick question: do you have to be within a certain level to co-op with someone? May have to help a friend tonight, but if levels are a factor, I might not be able to.

Dahbomb

It's kind of weird how Dark Souls III is like backwards Dark Souls. DS1 has an amazing first half but completely runs of gas post Anor Londo. Dark Souls III starts out with levels are either semi wonky homages to previous things, and features quite possibly the blandest looking area From Software has ever created. But immediately after that particular place it's like a long string of 10 out of 10 areas, with some of the most aesthestically phenomenal places being essentially the end game. The best bosses, and level design is the 2nd half of the game. I think it's the first time I've ever felt that way in one of these games since Demon's Souls.
Undead Settlement and High Wall Lothric are pretty solid though. I think it's that middle section before Irithyl that is the worst in the game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Undead Settlement and High Wall Lothric are pretty solid though. I think it's that middle section before Irithyl that is the worst in the game.

Undead Settlement is pretty cool yeah. High Wall...didn't quite like it. They copy pasted that that one tower top with the same broken staircase, at the top left and basically make you go through it like 4-5 times. It grated me.

I actually like From's take on Aquatic Ruins from Sonic 2. So purtty.

Thewonandonly

Allrigit so I just beat the game and it's incredible but my build was basically fuck my life just throw stuff wherever. Well this time I want to be a walking tank since I ended up being a dual swordsman last time.

Tips please :)

also fuck storm rider only boss I quit on. But that little bitch better watch out because bushka is coming to advenge his brother

Is anyone else going through this game not seeing ANY NPCs in the world? I don't remember the last time I saw someone outside the Nexus save for covenant people. I still haven't even found Patches and I'm fighting he fourth Lord of cinder.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Is anyone else going through this game not seeing ANY NPCs in the world? I don't remember the last time I saw someone outside the Nexus save for covenant people. I still haven't even found Patches and I'm fighting he fourth Lord of cinder.

Err...not sure how you've managed to miss every single NPC encounter but apparently you did. I think this is the game with the most people out in the game world From has made.

There is a lot in the early part and even right next to a bonfire.

jonjonaug

It's possible to miss them, but if you're that close to the end of the game then uh...you missed them all.

Here's all of them I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4caahQd6N80

ExVicis

You have to go out if your way to save quite a few to meet them and get them to go to Firelink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom