• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

If I joined Rosaria's Fingers but didn't offer up any pale tongues, am I still screwed out of Sirilla's quest?

Edit: I also haven't activated the covenant through my inventory.

It's hard to notice and I can't quite figure out when it works. All I've found out so far is if I get a three-hit R1 combo with my Lothric sword I regain like 30hp.

That sounds like almost nothing. Useless then I suppose. Should have chosen the weapon instead :/ There's a lack of decent ring in the early game. Guess I'll switch it with the ring that gives you an attunement slot (I started as a warrior and I'm not planning to level attunement, so I have none). I got my int up to 10 to
get access to the sorcerer npc
so I dunno, I could use the magic weapon spell or something

Is there any high quality concept art or screenshots of
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
. The whole place is gorgeous, and its really the first time that this gen has justified itself for me.

Bossun

LMAO finally got my first hater sending me insults after I destroyed him online. I usually don't get these kind of messages..A german 17 y.o

Beat
Nameless King
on my third try.
I was super dreading this fight, but I found the
King of Storms
to be surprisingly easy. And after two battles with
NK
he was really starting to telegraph his moves. Especially those air to ground moves and those 1-2-3 combos. I couldn't believe how easy they were to dodge and abuse with a rapier.
Lord of Cinder
though. Fuck that guy.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just got into the Profaned Capital.

HOW IS THIS GAME SO GOOD ?!?!?!?!?

From Soft has fully regained its magical DeS/DaS1 touch!

Everything after Brown Place of Skeletons is masterful. Why the fuck they loaded all of the best levels in the 2nd half of the game I'll never know. Reverse DSI.

Vic_Viper

Can I still respec if I already killed
Leonhart at fire link after getting the red eye orb? Having found the NPC yet for the fingers covenent

Phased

Since souls are so easy to come by I'll probably keep on popping the dried finger all the time to keep things interesting on my second playthrough. I've got invaded only two times in my first run. I was only 50% in embered form though. I'll go full ember this time around.

And yes, I've played 5+ hours per day too. Don't tell anyone!

You'll definitely get invaded more, especially in certain areas.

As someone who has rolled Blue Sentinels in DS2 and 3 now, I walked away from DS2 being extremely disappointed, but I was thrilled with how often I was summoned to help in 3.

By the end of my first run through I had 30+ Proof of Concord Kept or so, and thats just the invasions I helped fend off and the Host or myself didn't die. It's amazing.

Rodin

Lord of Cinder
though. Fuck that guy.

I beat him first try, really underwhelming although the fight and the design were cool.
Second part of NK
on the other hand? He kicked my ass several times, but he's nothing compared to
Pontiff and Champion in NG+.

Ricker

It's a shame they dont let you co-op a region with a friend via password without the chance of getting invaded...oh well,dem the rules I guess...especially the area after Pontiff,its like non stop invasions it seems,we killed one guy but not long after 2 came...unless they where covenant helpers...? first time I see 2 invaders.

NIN90

The thing that annoyed me the most about N
ameless King
is how stupid he looks. Every time I died I had to stare at his stupid mane for a couple seconds.

How's the stability on PC now? Finally able to pick up DS3 on payday next week, but I have a 670 and heard that's one of the cards that's caused issues so should I just get the PS4 version?

MUnited83

For you.
I swear those covenants are the stupidest shit .
Why the fuck do I get Pale Tongues when invading as a Watchdog ? Makes no freaking sense whatsoever.

Everything after Brown Place of Skeletons is masterful. Why the fuck they loaded all of the best levels in the 2nd half of the game I'll never know. Reverse DSI.

I think I prefer slow start, or flat finale, to mundane middle. :p It's proving difficult for me to push through on replay, even knowing it gets much, much better.

I liked the first areas, too but you are right. Isn't it ok, that way, though?

One thing: why are the opinions regarding this game so fucking different from player to player? A coworker of mine is feels totally indifferent about the whole game, even the wow-parts. It just doesn't grab him at all after being a huge fan of Bloodborne. I think it's one of the most beautiful games I've played. :D

Just magical. Even some of the smaller encounters were special to me, like a fight against a shiny Lothric Knight on the top of Lothric Castle on a bridge...all against the glowing orange/red sky. DS3 has heart. Why do half of the Souls fans feel that it doesn't?

Not that I care too much, it's just that stark contrast of feelings that's puzzling.

Lmao

Waiting for so long to get that fucking scythe that has S scaling with dexterity

And its fucking base damage sucks dick. My fucking +7 black blade does more than this scythe, that upgrades with twinkling titanite, at +3 by like almost 100 per hit.

Jesus christ. What a waste of twinkling.

Skii

Quick question, what is with the insistence that you wear the knight's set? I saw a couple of messages in front of the
Abyss Watchers
boss room. I also remember ENB saying that his friend recommend he keep that set on.

Is there something special about it? I can't tell if it changed the boss fight at all or the rewards I got from it.

If it's spoilery, let me know lol.

Been completely obsessed with this since I got it, I'm pretty thankful for the free weekend of Rocket League thats been addictive enough to stop me getting completely burnt out on it. (I would say no pun intended but that's a plain lie.)

Regarding replayability, one of the best strengths this time round is it finds a really nice balance between all the open world styles of previous games. It has the very similar to the Nexus version of Firelink shrine, which had the most intuitive and economical layout for finding npc vendors and lore espousers, and it does so more gracefully than 2 where you only really needed to come back for levels and items, since not enough npc stories actually progressed. This is a good return to form, beating even Demon's in the slow but steady way npcs progress through their stories over time.

I definitely miss the more wide open design of the first half of Dark Souls 1, or the pick and choose start of Demon's souls past 1-1 for faster item collecting for specific builds, but the level progression with its increased linearity also feels extremely well balanced in increasing difficulty and giving you enough spikes that are just difficulty enough to challenge you at your current Soul and Weapon level which is much more gated this time. But the fights feel fairer than ever as a result, with a generous roll even when geared up the fights feel more fast and frantic and its clearly the way its meant to be played; twitchy enough that you can never get too complacent, even as a veteran.

The more I read of the lore the more I'm appreciating too, with my initial dissapointment of how blatant the references were standing in stark contrast to new surroundings suddenly made more sense with the very convincing lore hunters pointing out how much evidence is of this world being a literal colliding of worlds.

It almost feels like Fringe with its ridiculously conspicuously similar but nonetheless extremely compelling alternate universe. But having that level of similarity means there's more to question whether callbacks are lore relevant, cheeky references, or plain coincidences. It makes the lore hunting itself kind of a fun game of how much should you even trust what you're reading.

This game is just a lot of fun, joint best souls game 10/10 etc.

Quick question, what is with the insistence that you wear the knight's set? I saw a couple of messages in front of the
Abyss Watchers
boss room. I also remember ENB saying that his friend recommend he keep that set on.

Is there something special about it? I can't tell if it changed the boss fight at all or the rewards I got from it.

If it's spoilery, let me know lol.
It has really good damage absorption.

myco666

So I might start pyro/dex build soon. How should I distribute stats and what weapons should I look for?

Because having the game peak at the end is better than have it peak at the middle. That is the biggest problem of Dark Souls 1. The areas after Anor Londo are okay but it never reaches the same heights as your journey to Anor Londo.

Why the fuck do I get Pale Tongues when invading as a Watchdog ? Makes no freaking sense whatsoever.

That would be too easy. Need to push that farming aspect of the game and wait of covenant working.

Onikiri and Ubadachi. Hell yes. Best weapon in the game IMHO.

I beat every boss so far to
Deacons of the Deep
Including the bane of my existence
Abysa Watchers
. I died SO many times in my first run, but got him on the first try.

Feels good man! I will say, this game has a longer longevity than Bloodborne. Whenever I went to start a new game or something I simply didn't feel it. This game I wanted to go right back in.

I beat him first try, really underwhelming although the fight and the design were cool.
Second part of NK
on the other hand? He kicked my ass several times, but he's nothing compared to
Pontiff and Champion in NG+.

Pontiff
seemed insurmountable to me at first until his second phase turned him into a joke.

Lord of Cinder
was making me rage pretty hard at first because I couldn't believe it was forcing me into a
second life-bar
lol. But once I figured out that air to ground move could be punished, it just took patience.

Taruranto

It's a shame they dont let you co-op a region with a friend via password without the chance of getting invaded...oh well,dem the rules I guess...especially the area after Pontiff,its like non stop invasions it seems,we killed one guy but not long after 2 came...unless they where covenant helpers...? first time I see 2 invaders.

That's a specif area dedicated to a Covenant, yes.

You can also get Sunlight medals as a Red Phantom. Solaire is turning in his grave. D:

myco666

I got a sunlight medal by killing someone as a Mound Maker. Explain that.

I really don't get Sunlight Medal drops. You get them from summoning sunbros, helping others, invading and apparently from killing them since I have also got Sunlight Medals as Mound-maker. Getting two different covenant rewards at once is weird.

ZangBa

I really don't get Sunlight Medal drops. You get them from summoning sunbros, helping others, invading and apparently from killing them since I have also got Sunlight Medals as Mound-maker. Getting two different covenant rewards at once is weird.

I've only gotten one and I can tell you I've killed PLENTY of sunbros. Maybe if it's only the host carrying the covenent item, I don't know.

DukeBobby

I finished the game a couple of days ago, but I've still not started NG+ yet.

Having lots of fun with invasions, even though my win ratio is like 50/50. Mound Makers is a barrel of laughs.

I never did much PvP in the previous games but I like it here.

myco666

I've only gotten one and I can tell you I've killed PLENTY of sunbros. Maybe if it's only the host carrying the covenent item, I don't know.

Just checked Fextra and it seems like you get Sunlight Medals if there is another invader who is Sunbro when killing the host.

eot

Banned
I have a question about Arch
dragon Peak

The first time I got to the second bonfire, I killed one NPC who spawned and after that I got to fight Havel (and died). Every time after that the summoner dude just keeps spawning copies of the first knight no matter how many times I kill him. How do I get to fight Havel again?

I have a question about Arch
dragon Peak

The first time I got to the second bonfire, I killed one NPC who spawned and after that I got to fight Havel (and died). Every time after that the summoner dude just keeps spawning copies of the first knight no matter how many times I kill him. How do I get to fight Havel again?

There's an enemy there who keeps summoning npcs. Beat the first one and the second should come up if you don't best that enemy.

eot

Banned
There's an enemy there who keeps summoning npcs. Beat the first one and the second should come up if you don't best that enemy.

I'm saying it keeps spawning the same guy :/ I'm not going to a bonfire in between, I'm killing him over and over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom