• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Aldrich Faithfuls can't invade once you beat the world boss right? Love the constant invasions.

That's correct, sadly. Yet another thing where they didn't take the improvements from DS2, and why DS2 keeps winning. DS2 system of "30 minutes without invasions in this area after beating a boss OR use a item to have the same effect" was so much better.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Two bosses in a row is absolute horseshit. I don't feel like doing this.

Edit: Oh, you don't have to kill the first one again. Good.

That's correct, sadly. Yet another thing where they didn't take the improvements from DS2, and why DS2 keeps winning. DS2 system of "30 minutes without invasions in this area after beating a boss OR use a item to have the same effect" was so much better.

Never knew this so it's a shame. Would definitely help with ranking up covenants and add to the overall activity.

kagamin

Not being able to be invaded after beating a boss sucks.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is magic super powerful or something? I have been playing 1h axe and shield. I was stuck at one of the final bosses. Even summoning a few melee people we were still getting killed. I summoned a guy who was using magic and he just fireballed the boss dead quickly while barely getting hit.

Zeliard

Yeah it's too bad, especially because it limits the areas you can have funtimes with Dried Finger if you progress too far.

Some of my best PvP experiences in this game were when I was summoned into a big brawl where the host used a Dried Finger and craziness ensued. It's been sadly rare, though.

Vishnu

Can some people help me with The nameless king? I have tried it 28 times now. Group and solo, this SOB is making me consider quitting the game.
If so; I will set the password to NGAF, in front of the lever.

Phase 1, you can hang back and let Red Eyes do his thing

I keep seeing this advice and I feel like it's worthy of banning for flamming
not really

It's horrible advice. Red Eyes is more useless than your teammates were in Daikatana. He dies instantly, to other two, heck he dies to the one other guy in like 3 seconds, even if I kite the main guy to make it a fair fight. Sometimes his AI just completely breaks and he fights the fog wall (I even have it recorded. ) Red Eyes is a gimmick that just doesn't work, because his AI was programmed by From Soft's Janitor after a day of drinking.

not really

It's horrible advice. Red Eyes is more useless than your teammates were in Daikatana. He dies instantly, to other two, heck he dies to the one other guy in like 3 seconds, even if I kite the main guy to make it a fair fight. Sometimes his AI just completely breaks and he fights the fog wall (I even have it recorded. ) Red Eyes is a gimmick that just doesn't work, because his AI was programmed by From Soft's Janitor after a day of drinking.

I didn't know he attacks the fog wall. I never relied on him in my playthrough but when I helped others out, many of them relied on this tactic and the both of us ran around the arena doing nothing for awhile until phase 2 started.

After the Uchigatana, what's the next big dex weapon I should be watching for?

Honestly that thing can take you through most if not all the game, I have a +10 and it destroys. I'm primarily dex but I've also been using the Dark Sword (which I also have maxed) as well as the Irithyll sword. Those are strength oriented, but for me they feel like dex weapons. A refined (w/gem) Dark Sword has B scaling for strength and dex. It's a powerhouse.

Though I'm admittedly a balanced build as my strength and dex are both pretty good (20's in strength and 30's in dex) so I guess YMMV-- though like I said the Dark Sword scales B in both. Pure dex weapons I don't have a lot of info on. The Sellsword Twinblades are a dex weapon but I have them at +9 and they're not even close to the Uchi or Dark Sword. (they're fun to use though)

Mideon

Just got to the
Abuys Watchers
now I remember why I have never finished one of these games! Damn this boss is hard :-(

Is magic super powerful or something? I have been playing 1h axe and shield. I was stuck at one of the final bosses. Even summoning a few melee people we were still getting killed. I summoned a guy who was using magic and he just fireballed the boss dead quickly while barely getting hit.

I just tried an high requirement single target miracle against the end boss and it did maybe 50% more damage than a fast single swing from my raw straight sword. The miracle has a cast time and requires you to be right next to the boss.

Just got to the
Abuys Watchers
now I remember why I have never finished one of these games! Damn this boss is hard :-(

Summon help if you absolutely cannot do it. It is a hard early-mid game fight, but these games can also just be a fun experience and they're worth seeing through because of how amazing the locations/art/bosses really are. So if you get hung up just summon help, definitely don't quit.

I've played through all of them (well, at the end of this one now) and my first time through I typically summon help after dying a number of times, and use that to better understand attacks and patterns. This makes for a bit more of a pleasant experience, if you can call it that, the first time through. Then on NG+ it's harder and I'll try and do stuff myself.

So for me I get the best of both worlds, I don't break controllers and still have a fun and challenging experience while actually seeing the game through to the end (always worth it) then face greater challenges on NG+ runs. Demon's Souls is really the only one that I didn't actually finish solo at some point.

I will say that nothing feels quite like toppling a tough boss solo, and this is why most people would encourage absolutely not giving up, but for me not at the expense of being frustrated or not finishing the game.

I think my Siegward/Greirat/Patches questline just got threeway fucked in a single swoop

found siegward in cathedral way later because fuck figuring this shit out without a guide.

Patches asks me where Greirat is after I sent him to second trip

Can't buy armor off him to get Siegward out of well

Patches has now disappeared from firelink, still hasn't come back after multiple trips neither has Greirat

Thanks Dark Souls.

Pontiff scythe scales to S at +5. You need to farm the scythe wielding knight in front of
Pontiff Sulyvahn
boss door.

Just beat
Pontiff
, fuck that guy. Almost made me summon for the first time.
Pontiff
is the cheapest piece of shit boss if you aren't a magic user or don't/can't use parrying. His second phase is a joke though, so if you can just get through his first phase quickly, you're golden.
It takes two riposte hits to trigger his second phase.

Tiops

Finished the game yesterday. Absolutely the best "Soulsborne" game. That last boss... And I think the N
ameless King
is the hardest boss in the series.

Now created another character and will work on the platinum trophy. Started as a Sorcerer, kinda weak at the start but I think it will become awesome later.

Pontiff scythe scales to S at +5. You need to farm the scythe wielding knight in front of
Pontiff Sulyvahn
boss door.

Oh shit. I've never heard of this yet, think I'll go do some farming. I'm hung up on a boss right now anyway and dilly dallying around for a bit helps me sort of readjust my nerves lol

Pontiff Sulyvahn
boss door.

Oh shit. I've never heard of this yet, think I'll go do some farming. I'm hung up on a boss right now anyway and dilly dallying around for a bit helps me sort of readjust my nerves lol

Let me just say right now that unless you want to waste the twinkling titanite, don't go for this weapon. I got it to +3 out of +5 max and the shit has like 100 less damage per swing than my sharp black blade, which is the next best dex weapon after uchi unless you want to get a sharp estoc for PvP

KHlover

Banned
Can some people help me with The nameless king? I have tried it 28 times now. Group and solo, this SOB is making me consider quitting the game.
If so; I will set the password to NGAF, in front of the lever.

Still need that help? I'm by no means the best player but let's try :D

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
not really

Who or what the hell is "Red Eyes"...? An NPC phantom or something?

Personally I used the
dual kats
for a while (forgot their name, oni something & something? yeah that's helpful I know xD), but 1h it's weaker than the uchi, so if you want to keep using a shield it's not ideal. Then I found the
Chaos Blade
and went with that for the rest of the game. Stronger than the uchi though of course the minor caveat that
it chips away at your health with every successful hit. That said it's rarely a problem, but, for the last boss at some point I had 1 HP left after being revived by Tears of Denial xD and had to finish him off with my... black bow of Pharis hahaha. That was quite the hilarious and epic win.

I think my Siegward/Greirat/Patches questline just got threeway fucked in a single swoop

found siegward in cathedral way later because fuck figuring this shit out without a guide.

Patches asks me where Greirat is after I sent him to second trip

Can't buy armor off him to get Siegward out of well

Patches has now disappeared from firelink, still hasn't come back after multiple trips neither has Greirat

Thanks Dark Souls.

Patches just straight up never showed up for me, but I offed the
Giants
right away so maybe that had something to do with it? I was a little disappointed :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Patches just straight up never showed up for me, but I offed the
Giants
right away so maybe that had something to do with it? I was a little disappointed :(
You need to reload/rest at bonfire/warp before he shows up I think. I remember the first time I went in that place no one was there, but I returned later 'cause I really wanted to know how to get to the other side (had missed the rafters place initially) and looked for a switch, and there he was. On my new character I used the quit/reload trick... -_-

Let me just say right now that unless you want to waste the twinkling titanite, don't go for this weapon. I got it to +3 out of +5 max and the shit has like 100 less damage per swing than my sharp black blade, which is the next best dex weapon after uchi unless you want to get a sharp estoc for PvP

Thanks for the heads up. Honestly from all I've read up on, it seems like I'm good on weapons.

Uchigatana +10
Irithyll Sword +5 (max)
Refined Dark Sword +10

Though, as I said I have a more balanced build, with my stats not greatly favoring dexterity, but somewhat. I think there's like a 7 point difference between my dex and strength stats. I've always did this in Soulsborne and while I'm never bored, I would like to try out something new. I'm not amazing at these games, definitely more of a casual player and I tend to ignore PVP (though it's fun, I'm just not a competitive gamer) so I just go for whatever I think will get me through the games the easiest.

I feel like if I go into certain bosses without good armor, sword and shield that I'm totally fucked eighteen ways from Sunday, but after five games I'm about to start experimenting. What I can tell you right now is that I don't have a desire to be a slow tank. While it probably feels good to rain the force of hell down on something with a weapon that takes up half the screen, I prefer maneuverability and quick strikes-- which is why I started pumping into dexterity for this game, BUT ended up once again pumping into strength so now I'm back to my usual balanced self.

You need to reload/rest at bonfire/warp before he shows up I think. I remember the first time I went in that place no one was there, but I returned later 'cause I really wanted to know how to get to the other side (had missed the rafters place initially) and looked for a switch, and there he was. On my new character I used the quit/reload trick... -_-

I'll give that a shot tonight, thank you. There is a good chance I've bungled it up too much at this point but it's worth a shot.

Sadly the damage is underwhelming BUT, the moveset is pretty rad with those wide sweeping swings. Scythes in general need a solid buff right now. Burial blade was one of my favourite bloodborne weapons but right now scythes are not upto mark in ds3.

DeVeAn

Somehow I'm doing worse then I was 6 levels ago on
nameless King
. Doesn't help that everyone I summon fails 100%😐

Sadly the damage is underwhelming BUT, the moveset is pretty rad with those wide sweeping swings. Scythes in general need a solid buff right now. Burial blade was one of my favourite bloodborne weapons but right now scythes are not upto mark in ds3.

a buff would be great because they're slow and with that I'd rather use my estoc or my katana

Somehow I'm doing worse then I was 6 levels ago on
nameless King
. Doesn't help that everyone I summon fails 100%��

For me the hardest part of that boss so far is having a successful summon connection. Been trying since this morning and have had one person summoned.

Constant network errors kicking me back to the main menu on XB1 today are making the game nearly unplayable. I'm at 28 Human Dregs, dammit!

a buff would be great because they're slow and with that I'd rather use my estoc or my katana
Are katanas useful in pve? I know everyone and their mother uses estocs and katanas in PvP but I left my uchigatana behind once I got the Irithyl straight sword and the dark sword coz right now nothing seems to beat straight swords in pure damage.

KHlover

Banned
Really dumb question now, Vishnu, but what system do you play this on? Kinda important question that we somehow missed before.

I'm on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom