• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrano

Yeah, got it. I keep expecting From expecting me to fiddle with their physics, cuz they love htat.
I think this game's pretty consistently and practically built. It doesn't have nearly as much of the questionable jumps and physics-based stuff as past games. There's still some of that, but it's not quite as absurd as it once was. Dark Souls 3 is pretty much the definition of what polish can do to the Dark Souls series in terms of quality.

Ferr986

Ok, big N down. Fuck this. I still think it was terrible.

I guess full game finished. 40ish hours, lvl 88.

Now to work on those multiple characters.

Flamberge +10 and Dragon Crest Shield
I'm wearing everything I have with the highest lightning defense.

Have any Yellow Bug Pellets? They add an additional 15% lightning defense. The shield isn't ideal. There's another "Crest" shield with 83 lightning defense you can get from
Lothric Castle (Spirit Tree Crest Shield)
.Did you find the
Thunder Stoneplate Ring
in that same area? If not, you should track it down and use that as well. Stacking all that lightning defense will put a serious dent on the damage output from that boss.

I think Havel'S Ring is a must. At least thats what i always wear when i got for a 2h GSs. I need that roll since weapons are way too slow.

Yeah, that's a permanent fixture in my ring slots. It also allows me to keep my vitality stat at a lower level so I can put those points elsewhere. I tend to two-hand an ultra and keep the Shield of Want on my back, but I have enough wiggle room to wear medium armor without going past 70% load.

FUCKING FINALY

3rd ish boss spoiler
https://i.imgur.com/FwAJ65O.png

only took 10 hours lol

sorry I needed to gloat. This game man

That second phase, eh? :]

I was actually a little down on the bosses in the game up until I reached that battle.

Agram

Have any Yellow Bug Pellets? They add an additional 15% lightning defense. The shield isn't ideal. There's another "Crest" shield with 83 lightning defense you can get from
.Did you find the
Thunder Stoneplate Ring
in that same area? If not, you should track it down and use that as well. Stacking all that lightning defense will put a serious dent on the damage output from that boss.
I have both, but didn't pay attention to their stats :(
Thank you, I will try again

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok, this is the second playthrough where this has happened, and I don't know why: Orbeck is supposed to give you rings as you keep buying spells from him, but that never happened for me. I gave him all 4 scrolls, bought everything, never got anything. Do you need to talk to him for it to happen, or any other requirements? Of course
he's dead now, just collected his ashes.

Lux R7

.Did you find the
Thunder Stoneplate Ring

Lothric knight shield is better, 87

That second phase, eh? :]

I was actually a little down on the bosses in the game up until I reached that battle.

first phase was really infuriating because how random it was. It could go very well or it could go to shit in a second and the lack of consistence was making me mad.

Second phase was just pure bullshit though

Ok, this is the second playthrough where this has happened, and I don't know why: Orbeck is supposed to give you rings as you keep buying spells from him, but that never happened for me. I gave him all 4 scrolls, bought everything, never got anything. Do you need to talk to him for it to happen, or any other requirements? Of course
he's dead now, just collected his ashes.

Make sure you talk to him through the menu selection, not just the initial conversation when you go up to him to trigger the dialogue.

Lothric knight shield is better, 87

You're right, it is. Either will suffice, but that one is a bit better.

Lux R7

Make sure you talk to him through the menu selection, not just the initial conversation when you go up to him to trigger the dialogue.

You're right, it is. Either will suffice, but that one is a bit better.

Yes, also i used it against that boss successfully.

Cyrano

Ok, big N down. Fuck this. I still think it was terrible.

I guess full game finished. 40ish hours, lvl 88.

Now to work on those multiple characters.
I would've been fine with it if you didn't have to beat the first phase every time. That's the thing that really got on my nerves.

nasero

Is there a stat that effects how many souls you get per kill? I feel like I'm not getting as many as I should be and when I watch some videos of others they seem like they're getting more from the same enemies.

That or DS3 is more stingy with souls than the previous games.

Tingle

I have a question: Does the
Rosaria's Finger
covenant item actually do anything? You get the
tongues
either way, unless you are a
Sunbro or Mounder.
There isn't actually a reason to ever equip the
Finger covenant
though, is there?

Is there a stat that effects how many souls you get per kill? I feel like I'm not getting as many as I should be and when I watch some videos of others they seem like they're getting more from the same enemies.

Later on there are multiple pieces of equipment (a ring, a shield, and a helmet) that multiply the number of souls you get.

KHlover

Banned

Do you have Shield of Want / Covetous Silver Serpent Ring equipped? Those both increase the amount of Souls dropped by enemies. Might be even more items with this effect, idk

Ferr986

I would've been fine with it if you didn't have to beat the first phase every time. That's the thing that really got on my nerves.

I wouldn't mind that if it wasn't because I found the first phase absolutely terrible (even though I managed to get it down and pass it with using 2-3 estus max). It's clearly looks > functiontality.

LiK

Oh wow, the F
irelink
Armor is still
embered even when you're not.
cool little touch.

Got 23 Concords in 7 hours total of farming so far. Almost there! Funny thing is I made over 2+ million souls in the process. Leveled up a lot and bought every piece of unique armor from the handmaiden lol

This is one of those cases where I ask myself what's so hard about that boss. I killed him in two tries on NG+. Missed it in my first playthrough. First phase takes about a minute. Just don't lock on and avoid standing under the dragon. Phase two is pretty straightforward.

He did do tons of damage but I found dodging his attacks pretty easy.

Is there some congestion or something going on outside the P
ontiff
bonfire? I cannot invade or be invaded there but everywhere else I try I have no problem doing either. It just seems to be that place as well, because I can go to the Water Reserve bonfire and invade basically the same area without issues.

myco666

Yeah Blue Sentinels is definitely broken for me. Started a new character, rushed to the place where you get it, equipped it and nothing. I should be around the recommended level for this area at lvl20. I really don't understand how some of you get these covenants to work.

Vee_One

Anyone else having problems with summoning? I can summon other players but they can't traverse fog gate at the boss.

If I get summoned I can't traverse boss gate.

Any suggestions?

Cyrano

This is one of those cases where I ask myself what's so hard about that boss. I killed him in two tries on NG+. Missed it in my first playthrough. First phase takes about a minute. Just don't lock on and avoid standing under the dragon. Phase two is pretty straightforward.

He did do tons of damage but I found dodging his attacks pretty easy.
I haven't done a NG+ playthrough yet. Whenever I finish the game I typically start a new character. I also like to play casters and NK was one-shotting me for a while until I grinded and got my VGR up. I like the glass cannon aesthetic, but it's much more glass and a lot less cannon than in the past games.

My melee playthrough has been very different, but I can't say it's not challenging - just that a lot of enemies in the game that were easy as a caster are tougher as melee. Given that I'm also not using a shield, that has been quite an adjustment as well.
Anyone else having problems with summoning? I can summon other players but they can't traverse fog gate at the boss.

If I get summoned I can't traverse boss gate.

Any suggestions?
Keep trying, it's one of many known bugs. The matchmaking and online stuff in general is pretty well known to be spotty.

Restarting the game can sometimes help.

Cyrano

Did anyone ever figure out what's with those 600 free souls in the
Cathedral of the Deep
?
Likely a result of monsters fighting, the same as the souls you get from any of the other areas where monsters are fighting among themselves. I don't remember that happening for
Cathedral of the Deep
specifically though.
Sucks I can't summon people for some jolly coop now that the boss is dead :(
I think this was done to encourage you to place your White Soapstone in front of the boss and help others with it. You get souls and maybe an ember for successful completion and duty awards as well if you're part of a covenant.

Aldebaran

I've just beaten W
olnir
in less than a minute, his health was going down so quickly I thought "here comes phase 2!". Nope.

sappyday

Damn the game is a lot shorter now playing through NG+. Like if Dark Souls ended after Anor Londo or if Dark Souls 2 ended with Drangliec Castle.

Tesser

Taking my time with this game - what with not particularly liking the Souls games despite absolutely loving Bloodborne - and remained insistent on staying offline for my first playthrough (because fuck PvP) but I gotta say, after three attempts, I'm starting to...warm... to Dark Souls. Not loving it, but I'm liking 3 a lot more than the previous two Dark's.

Just got past the
Dragonslayer Armour
boss fight and holy shit, that was a great boss-fight. Really enjoyed how frantic and tense the fight was not to mention the deal with the 'arena' and how that was set-up. I think this and the Abyss Watchers fight are my most enjoyed bosses so far - good to see how some of Bloodborne's pace and fluidity has been implemented.

Skii

I just finished the C
atacombs of Carthus
. I liked it but felt it was a bit too small as an area. Also the boss of that area was basically a joke. I got one shotted first time by
darkness or something???
but his RNG didn't use that next turn and I beat him easily. Guess From needs to have a gimmicky boss or two.

The
Boreal Valley
looked absolutely beautiful. Cainhurst castle on steroids! Can't enter it though because I need some sort of
doll

I saw an area behind the Crystal Sage so I went through a bit of that and opened up a shortcut to the bonfire in that
church
looking place before calling it a day.

Just loving DS3 so far! It's far more relaxing than playing Bloodborne. I literally dread every minute of that game because of how oppressive the atmosphere is. With DS3, I feel a lot more relaxed lol.

Also, I got rid of the fucking D
ark Sigil
. Fuck Y
oel
. I think he's dead for some reason. He was trying to hollow me the little shit.

bobawesome

On one hand, I'm frustrated that my brother so openly spoiled aspects of the game but on the other, I'm certain
I likely wouldn't have ever known to gain five levels from the sorcerer and turn hollow, which seems to have maybe opened up a few things for me narrative-wise.

Damn the game is a lot shorter now playing through NG+. Like if Dark Souls ended after Anor Londo or if Dark Souls 2 ended with Drangliec Castle.

Souls games have always gone way faster on subsequent playthroughs but yeah, I see what you mean. I'm already almost at
Lothric Castle
at around two and a half hours in NG++. NG+ was probably ten hours total, but I'm blasting through things now.

Cyrano

The current WR is homing in on something like an hour and half completion. So it's actually probably about the same length as the other games, I think it's just compressed in a much more even and consistent manner. DS3 feels like what Dark Souls 1/2 would have been if most of the rough edges were smoothed out. Really looking forward to DLC - already seen some areas that look like good candidates for expansions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom