• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

Just got to the second boss (
Vordt
) on my second character and my god, I've managed to git gud and reverse it. I've died 3 times already to the thing whereas I beat him first go on my first character.

What's wrong with me?

Skii

Just got to the second boss (
Vordt
) on my second character and my god, I've managed to git gud and reverse it. I've died 3 times already to the thing whereas I beat him first go on my first character.

What's wrong with me?

He's literally one of the easiest bosses I've ever faced in a Souls games. If you stay close, he genuinely can't do anything to you lol.

Lux R7

The current WR is homing in on something like an hour and half completion. So it's actually probably about the same length as the other games, I think it's just compressed in a much more even and consistent manner. DS3 feels like what Dark Souls 1/2 would have been if most of the rough edges were smoothed out. Really looking forward to DLC - already seen some areas that look like good candidates for expansions.

This. Dark souls 3 with two dlc will be pretty long but well packed.

The current WR is homing in on something like an hour and half completion.
An hour for any%, actually, and all bosses isn't much longer (which makes sense because there aren't that many optional bosses).

For comparison Dark Souls 1 any% is 44 minutes, Bloodborne any% (on the current patch without the major skips and boss freezing bugs) is 33 minutes, and Dark Souls 2 any% on current patch is almost an hour.

Plum

He's literally one of the easiest bosses I've ever faced in a Souls games. If you stay close, he genuinely can't do anything to you lol.

I know! He was piss-easy when I fought him first, but it's like I'm Samus after the opening of a Metroid game. I've gone back to square one in terms of skill.

Sakura

I can't beat the stupid D
ancer
( ´△`)
And each time I fight it I can spend up to 10 minutes before I die so it takes a lot of time to keep trying...

ancer
( ´△`)
And each time I fight it I can spend up to 10 minutes before I die so it takes a lot of time to keep trying...

I noticed that being embered kept making a huge difference when I fought it so I just went and leveled up my Vigor a bit (got myself to 1000 HP).

Not sure that would work for everyone as it did for me.

KHlover

Banned
ancer
( ´△`)

Stay on its ass. Literally. Stay as close to that ass as you possibly can, especially in the second phase. If you must roll, roll towards the ass.

Vorheez

Hey guys, quick question...

Does two handing a weapon still provide a 1.5x strength buff and nullify the requirements? The reason I am asking is because the big S hammer is showing lousy damage numbers in the info screen when I two hand, but it appears to be working right during combat. Don't wanna waste time and souls buffing up stats if they removed that mechanic.

Sakura

Stay on its ass. Literally. Stay as close to that ass as you possibly can, especially in the second phase. If you must roll, roll towards the ass.

I've been trying to hide behind the pillars during the second phase and sneak hits, but I lose lock-on because of that and keep messing myself up. The first phase is pretty easy as long as I don't get grabbed.

Drake

Are there hacks out for PC already? I had a guy invade him who was stuck in a "Praise the Sun" pose, but was moving around and still able to damage me. IDK if that was a bug or a hack.

Ferr986

Yeah Blue Sentinels is definitely broken for me. Started a new character, rushed to the place where you get it, equipped it and nothing. I should be around the recommended level for this area at lvl20. I really don't understand how some of you get these covenants to work.

Yes, my Blue Sentinel characters spent days around 30 in the
Undead Settlement and Farron
and got 1 summon. In days.

This weekend I did
Cathedral, Catacombs and I'm currently at Irythill
, this with stopping hours idle to get summoned (while I was doing other things on my PC). 0 summons.

This shit is souring me, honestly.

Yeah, stop trying to parry bosses. Parrying is mostly for PvP - isn't all that great in PvE because it's difficult to know what can and can't be parried. Gundyr in
Untended Graves
is very easy if you just circle strafe and wait for downtime between attacks.

If you wanna cheese, get enough stats to use a high stability shield and just block everything the boss does (poke him to death with a spear). Otherwise, it's just a matter of memorizing the patterns and when to roll. The iframe ring might help if you aren't already using it. If you're a caster it's considerably easier because there are fewer ranged attacks and they all have really obvious timings (first phase is tougher because the AoEs are harder to dodge).

Lmao pretty much. With enough failing you'll just dodge his shit all the time. Honest I just used a certain shield that blocked 87% lightning damage and 100% physical. He did fuck all damage when I just blocked.

KHlover

Banned
Are there hacks out for PC already? I had a guy invade him who was stuck in a "Praise the Sun" pose, but was moving around and still able to damage me. IDK if that was a bug or a hack.

I think there are, but broken animations are so common online that you can't really be sure if someone is hacking or if it's just the servers. I'd say 95% servers, 5% legit hacking or so.

Hey guys, quick question...

Does two handing a weapon still provide a 1.5x strength buff and nullify the requirements? The reason I am asking is because the big S hammer is showing lousy damage numbers in the info screen when I two hand, but it appears to be working right during combat. Don't wanna waste time and souls buffing up stats if they removed that mechanic.

Yep definitely works. You can see if you have a weapon you can't use at all, it will say so when you equip it. If you can two hand it, the message says it is only effective if you two hand it. I never figured out how to get the numbers to be accurate though.

I killed O
ceiros
last night. That boss gave me weird vibe. A mix of sadness and creepiness.

The whole thing is so damn sad and weird.
From his talking to his cradling his imaginary child, his frenzies, his screams of his son's name Ocellotte.

Man, I supposed killing him is doing him a favor, but I still feel sad as shit.

Vorheez

Yep definitely works. You can see if you have a weapon you can't use at all, it will say so when you equip it. If you can two hand it, the message says it is only effective if you two hand it. I never figured out how to get the numbers to be accurate though.
Awesome, thank you. I'll play around with it a little more tomorrow and see what if I can get it to display anything differently.

MrS

Banned
Finished it last night. One of my favourite games of all time and better than Bloodborne imo. Going through NG+ now.

myco666

Wow I actually got summoned as a Watchdog after 20 minutes of waiting. So that works for me to some degree.

Yes, my Blue Sentinel characters spent days around 30 in the
Undead Settlement and Farron
and got 1 summon. In days.

This weekend I did
Cathedral, Catacombs and I'm currently at Irythill
, this with stopping hours idle to get summoned (while I was doing other things on my PC). 0 summons.

This shit is souring me, honestly.

It is really bad. There should be a covenant item that you could also use to connect to worlds that have invaders instead of having to hope people have the emblem equipped all the time. AF and Watchdogs should also get rewards from using Red Eye Orb in the areas they are supposed to protect.

RAWRferal

I've now hit the first boss I can't beat. A
ldrich
D
evourer of
G
ods
is kicking my ass. I think I need a break...

Prioritise running away from the arrow attack and rolling under the magic shots he does when you're far away from him. You also want to always be behind him when attacking.

When he hits second phase the beam attack does 3 hits and you need to run for your life from the arrows... As in full on run to the opposite side of the room and not in a straight line either.

Don't give up, he was the toughest one for me so far too!

Tesser

I'm trying to Sunbro this ballet boss and everyone just gets bodied. This thing has an absurd amount of HP.

You referring to the Dancer?

If so, patience is key; only strike twice at the most when you get the chance. When she[?] enters second phase, use the pillars for cover and strike once the chain-combo attacks are done. I beat it by myself after maybe four/five tries, so it's definitely doable.

If not, ignore everything I've said.

Denzar

Can't seem to find a weapon that really suits me. I've used Uchi and Zweihander in DS1 and Greatsword in DS2. Those weapons are still cool, but I'd like to play with a different weapon in DS 3. Any recommendations for a weapon that scales well with STR but doesn't have the same moveset as Greatsword/Zweihander. I'm lookig at greataxe ATM, but it's scaling for STR is D...

Quoting myself in hope of an answer.

Ok, so today is a historical day for me....I just finished my first Dark Souls game :D
Out of
bosses I had to summon on 4 of them (
Chapmion Gundyr, Nameless King, Abyss Watchers and High Lord Woldor
), for my first Souls game I think that this is a pretty good achievement for me :D

Also, that feeling when you manage to deplete the hp bar of the
Souls of Cinder
only to see that fucker gaining an extra life xD

So there's one question that I'm interested in, since we all know that DLC is coming out later this year, how does that stuff work in DS games? Since I didn't start a NG+ when the DLC comes out will I be able just to continue with my first save or how does it work? Or is it like, for example, The Witcher 3 where I was able to normally complete Hearts of Stone after I already finished the base game?

Anyway, I now fully understand what the "hype" and praise was all about. Making my way to the last boss I couldn't stop thinking about how long of a journey it was and how it all started in the cemetery, all the challenges I had to overcome, and the joy of helping others in co op overcome their obstacles. This game is truly a unique experience.

And now the wait for TW3 Blood and Wine begins :D

Cyrano

I think there are, but broken animations are so common online that you can't really be sure if someone is hacking or if it's just the servers. I'd say 95% servers, 5% legit hacking or so.
Broken animations online seem to be disturbingly common, and it can include anything - other players, bosses, and even NPCs. Worse, is that oftentimes you can still be hit by these characters and as a result, will often die to something you can't really predict or react to.

Another common animation issue is for the character to simply freeze and not move at all (or when they do move, appear to be warping all over the place). Boss doors not working also seems to be quite common right now.

Near as I can tell, all of these are BUGS and not a result of hacking.

LiK

Ah fuck, forgot about one Pyro spell that requires farming as well. Guess I'll see how it goes. NG+ will need to wait. Glad I double-checked what I got so far.

Cyrano

Ah fuck, forgot about one Pyro spell that requires farming as well. Guess I'll see how it goes. NG+ will need to wait. Glad I double-checked what I got so far.
Was really disappointed that Warmth required so much farming to get. =/

Then again, the stats needed to use it are also kinda ridiculous given its rather minor returns as a spell. It was one of my favorite spells to use in the past as a Pyromancer but it's a bit unfortunate that you have to roll so deep to get it now.

LiK

Was really disappointed that Warmth required so much farming to get. =/

Then again, the stats needed to use it are also kinda ridiculous given its rather minor returns as a spell. It was one of my favorite spells to use in the past as a Pyromancer but it's a bit unfortunate that you have to roll so deep to get it now.

Just checked a farming guide and the farming spot is thankfully right near a bonfire like with Concords. Hope this isn't as rare as the Concords tho, that was a slog. I'm just watching videos while I do it heh

myco666

Just checked a farming guide and the farming spot is thankfully right near a bonfire like with Concords. Hope this isn't as rare as the Concords tho, that was a slog. I'm just watching videos while I do it heh

If the droprate is bad you could just invade people or boost it with someone.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Raol93 sunbro just cleared most of the RoS with me :) Such a shame his journey ended upon C
rystal
S
age's
defeat.

Dereck

I'm looking for a weapon that's similar to the longsword, same length, same weight, but a little bit better to +10. I don't want to two hand a weapon, which weapon would you guys recommend?

Managed to carve my way through L
othric
C
astle
until the first fog gate last night, skipping what I can only assume was an optional area full of p-p-p-poison. I'll go back to it before this boss, but what the hell. I worked my way through the area until I finally got outside and
why did this game turn into Berserk? Like, seriously, I freaked out seeing the eclipse and all those fucking weird-ass tentacle shadow motherfuckers just...ascending. Creeped me the fuck out almost as much as stuff from Bloodborne.

I'm expecting some true boss fuckery in this area.

P
rofaned
C
apital
is a top notch invasion spot. Some nice verticality, wide and thin pathways, a p
oison
lake, it's got it all.

myco666

Wow I finally got summoned as a Blue Sentinel but the host had already died when I got there. Farming those Proofs via PVE still the faster method.

psy18

Moved to NG+ after 20 concords. Can't stand the farming anymore!

I will make sure to wear that WoB covenant as long I'm embered in NG+. Get your concords BS/DM brothers!

pa22word

Seriously guys no bonfire acestics blows hard.

Such a fun, game extending mechanic removed for no reason. It sure would help pass the time while from gets around to fixing auto matchmaking on pc T_T

Oh well, guess I'll go ahead and do another dex run for shits and giggles.

I'm looking for a weapon that's similar to the longsword, same length, same weight, but a little bit better to +10. I don't want to two hand a weapon, which weapon would you guys recommend?

There's really not any weapons in these games that are just flat out "better" than others. I personally beat the last few bosses with a +10 refined Longsword. Longsword is a fine weapon.

There's also Lothric Knight sword from the knights. It's a tiny bit longer I think and has 110 critical damage instead of 100. More thrusty moveset.

Sunlight Straight sword
is found in lothric castle. It can't be infused but it has B/B scaling at +5 (twinkling titanite) and its weapon art is a really nice buff.

Just a couple options if you really are against the longsword.

pa22word

Good news is there's the perfect sword for you! Bad news? End game ng+ exclusive.

Brothers' sword is a great mix of power and speed, plus it has some cool moves too. Looking back I wouldn't have traded my +5 lorian's for it, but that's mostly a style choice for me as I like the big hulking gs.

myco666

I take there's no point on farm them without the mimic head, right?

Barely worth it unless you get your Item Discovery way over 300 some other way. Before I got the mimic head from other gaffer I got barely any drops in two hours. I don't understand why From decided that the mimic head isn't guaranteed drop.

Cyrano

Try the
Dark Sword or Astora's Straight Sword
. Later on there are also some boss soul weapons that fit your requirements and have strong special moves.
Barely worth it unless you get your Item Discovery way over 300 some other way. Before I got the mimic head from other gaffer I got barely any drops in two hours. I don't understand why From decided that the mimic head isn't guaranteed drop.
It is a guaranteed drop if you
beat every mimic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom