• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

myco666

Ok so I just started with the Vertabrae Shackles Covenant thing.

What exactly am I meant to be doing? Guy summons me and we just fight? If I kill him I get a Vertabrae Shackle?

I guess I don't get what the difference is to red invasion thing.

Difference is that you win from killing either all phantoms or the host. With red invasions you always need to kill the host.

If you're purple, you can help host or kill them. You're basically not tied to being an invader or coop buddy.

Nope you only get rewards for killing the host or other phantoms. It is not a coop covenant in anyway.

chunk3rvd

What's the best way to bump your damage in the early game? At the Abyss Watcher's now and keep switching between +3 Long Sword, Bastard and Zweihander but people summoning me seem to do a bit more damage. Pick one and infuse it (fire/raw?) or do I start getting more large shards soon?

pixxxelz

Made it to
lorian elder prince
yesterday, is it safe to kill this boss (don't want to go to ng+ just yet) or should I go explore the areas that I've missed first.

eot

Banned
What's the best way to bump your damage in the early game? At the Abyss Watcher's now and keep switching between +3 Long Sword, Bastard and Zweihander but people summoning me seem to do a bit more damage. Pick one and infuse it (fire/raw?) or do I start getting more large shards soon?

You can definitely find a lot of large shards before that fight.

usp84

Can you tell me where you farmed it? dunno a good spot to attempt.

Anor Londo bonfire the first two Silver Knights.I never killed the third one because he takes too much time to kill and it takes too long to return to the bonfire after.

Having 448 luck i problably got the 25 i needed in 3 hours or so

Frillen

I'm looking for a weapon that's similar to the longsword, same length, same weight, but a little bit better to +10. I don't want to two hand a weapon, which weapon would you guys recommend?

Simple, Dark Sword. Use a heavy gem and level up your strength. Thank me later. The last three bosses of the game went down like flies for me.

Mugenjin

Made it to
lorian elder prince
yesterday, is it safe to kill this boss (don't want to go to ng+ just yet) or should I go explore the areas that I've missed first.

That is not the last boss. And when you defeat the last boss you don't automatically go to NG+. After the credits you're given the choice to go to NG+ or you can keep exploring and initiate NG+ from the shrine bonfire.

Heh, I took down A
ldrich
so fast that it didn't even get an
arrow barrage
off, but then did just before my last swing hit, killing me after I killed it. That's some revenge right there.

Cyrano

Sure I heard one of them speedrunners say that under ~30% gave you some ultimate roll or whatever he called it.
You lose iframes at 30%, 50% and 70% (70% is fat roll) equip weight. Not an "ultimate" roll at 30% or less, just more iframes. The iframe ring can contribute even more. If you go light you can essentially get a roll that's probably as invulnerable, if not more, than the quickstep in Bloodborne, but you sacrifice most of your defense to do it.

Defense is definitely a viable option as well - turtle builds are strong in PvP and PvE and can trivialize a lot of boss fights.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Quick question do enemies scale to be more difficult with your level? Currently I'm level 45 and have sharp +5 sellswords just got to
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
. I feel like I need to go farm some more levels and upgrades because these
pontiff knights
are washing me.

myco666

Anor Londo bonfire the first two Silver Knights.I never killed the third one because he takes too much time to kill and it takes too long to return to the bonfire after.

Having 448 luck i problably got the 25 i needed in 3 hours or so

Wow you got super lucky with those drops.

test_account

XP-39C²
Simple, Dark Sword. Use a heavy gem and level up your strength. Thank me later. The last three bosses of the game went down like flies for me.
Is the Dark Sword noticeably better than the Long Sword when it comes to damage? I see that the Dark Sword has 115 base damage while the Long Sword has 110. The Dark Sword also has some better gard absorption.

Cyrano

Quick question do enemies scale to be more difficult with your level? Currently I'm level 45 and have sharp +5 sellswords just got to
pontiff knights
are washing me.
No.

They scale based on NG or NG+ or NG++, etc. (essentially, their levels are static) Enemies gain extra HP if helper phantoms come in, as do bosses.

If enemies are kicking your butt, it's either your level is low, or your build needs more VGR (VGR is basically your trade-off stat - do you want more survivability or more damage - because VGR is survivability - pretty much every other stat is damage).

zma1013

So uhh it just booted me out of a boss fight and to the title screen because my internet went out, is that right? I was by myself. Did the other games do this as well because ive never had it happen.

test_account

XP-39C²
What do you guys think about the recommended soul levels for matchmaking on the wiki?

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Recommended Level+by+Location

I've got about 100k souls on the floor in the D
ancer
boss room, and I'm wondering if I should just leave them. Don't want to level my character to the point where I can't sunbro anymore. The NG+ columns are blank, and I'm still in NG, so not sure what to expect there.
I'm level 81 (still NG) and get summoned very easy for the later bosses.

test_account

XP-39C²
So uhh it just booted me out of a boss fight and to the title screen because ny internet went out, is that right? I was by myself. Did the other games do this as well because ive never had it happen.
Yeah, if you get disconnected while playing online (even if you play by yourself, you're still online if you can see messages and summon signs), you get thrown to the main menu. Gotta suck getting disconnected on a boss though, especially if you're about to make it :\

Cyrano

Yeah sometimes i got two drops from them.But i lost my luck farming Vertebre shackles.Took me more time for less items.At least i need fewer because of a few succesful invasions
This is why I'm still convinced that Item Discovery just increases quality/quantity of items, not chance of actually finding items. But yeah, I do not know how the algorithm works, just conjecture at this point.

DietRob

No.

They scale based on NG or NG+ or NG++, etc. (essentially, their levels are static) Enemies gain extra HP if helper phantoms come in, as do bosses.

If enemies are kicking your butt, it's either your level is low, or your build needs more VGR (VGR is basically your trade-off stat - do you want more survivability or more damage - because VGR is survivability - pretty much every other stat is damage).

Ok thank you. I'm not around my ps4 right now but I've been pumping levels in only Dex, End, Vigr, and some in STR. I know I'm 31 Dex (with ring), i think 22 VGR, 22 END, 16 STR. The rest are at starting level for mercenary except maybe VIT which I might have put a few points in.

I'm going to run through all of the starting zones again and dump as many levels as I can in VGR. I've never been great at souls games (haven't been able to finish any in the series) the gameplay of 3 feels really good and is the one I've enjoyed playing the most so I'm hoping I'm able to finish this one.

Mogwai

pontiff knights
are washing me.
The
Pontiff knights
are just tough overall. A considerable bump in difficulty compared to Catacombs and the cathedral. I just killed the area boss with a +6 sharp sellswords. Was like cutting in butter. But when the
knights
get their combos going shit gets real.

yella

If anyone still wants that Symbol of Avarice, I got 2 from 2 different Mimics, and would be willing to give one away. I got them both for hitting them with Undead Hunter Charms, if that helps.

My PSN ID is oldyella. Send me a message or Friend request if you're interested.

Difference is that you win from killing either all phantoms or the host. With red invasions you always need to kill the host.

Nope you only get rewards for killing the host or other phantoms. It is not a coop covenant in anyway.

Not quite. As you say yourself, you can win by killing all other phantoms, including invaders. So if a host summons you and has no other phantoms with him, you can help him out until someone invades, and then win by helping the host kill the invader

SeanTSC

So cleared NG+ and got every trophy aside from All Rings and one ending one, which takes a NG++ clear.

I'm up to level 185 now and no matter what weapons I try, I keep going back to the S
unlight
Straight Sword. I love my BK Greataxe, but it's not the same as DS1's (though much better than DS2's), and the SSS just gives me more consistent results. Plus I can swing it 9 freaking times at 40 Endurance with one of the Rings. And with weapon buff spells + the weapon's self buff the AR on it gets nearly as high as my BK Greataxe. It gets up to like 620 something when buffed for me Vs 695 BKG which only gets 4 swings.

I tried a bunch of other weapons too, but none really clicked. I even made the
Twin Princes' Greatsword
which requires combing two boss soul weapons and respec'd to 40 in all 4 of Str/Dex/Int/Faith to see how the scaling was on it. Sadly, the scaling was god awful and the weapon just felt meh.

Before playing with Weapon Buffs (which don't work on a lot of stuff like most Boss Soul weapons), I only had the base 10 Attunement and 16 faith so I could equip stuff, was rocking 70 Vit and full Havel's + Havel's shield. Sadly had to cut my Vit down when I respec'd to take advantage of buffs.

Rocking 40 Vig, 35 Att, 40 End, 32 Vit, 40 Str, 40 Dex, 10 Int, 30 Faith, 7 Luck.

Probably going to end up with Vit near 70 again. Not sure if I want to take Faith to 40 for full buff scaling and may shave off 5 Attunement, since I probably don't need that much FP for just buffing and 30 gives 5 slots, which covers all the weapon buffs I want. I should get enough naturally just killing everything in NG++ to get that high. That would put me at 218-233 depending on how far I go (33-48 more levels).

I'd also like to do a build for A
nri's Straight Sword
, but that requires Luck on top of all of that, which is an extra 33-92 levels and it actually has semi-useful scaling all the way to 99. I don't think I'll get that many outside of some crazy farming or exploiting, which I don't want to do. Maybe if the future DLC is substantial enough I'll do it.

Cyrano

Ok thank you. I'm not around my ps4 right now but I've been pumping levels in only Dex, End, Vigr, and some in STR. I know I'm 31 Dex (with ring), i think 22 VGR, 22 END, 16 STR. The rest are at starting level for mercenary except maybe VIT which I might have put a few points in.

I'm going to run through all of the starting zones again and dump as many levels as I can in VGR. I've never been great at souls games (haven't been able to finish any in the series) the gameplay of 3 feels really good and is the one I've enjoyed playing the most so I'm hoping I'm able to finish this one.
I wouldn't recommend going over 30 VGR in New Game. To be honest those stats look good for where you are in the game. You might want to get a few levels to get a bit more VGR (or your weapon's primary damage stat) but otherwise a good strategy against the Knights themselves is to lure them out one-by-one. Use throwing knives or kukri to facilitate pulls. They're structured in packs on purpose but for pretty much any encounter in Dark Souls, if you can get the enemy alone, they're pretty manageable (and as with pretty much all enemies, are susceptible to circle-strafing).

You can also just run past them if you're feeling particularly ballsy. It's what I did after getting stuck on them for a while. There aren't a ton of them, but there are definitely enough to cause trouble.

DietRob

The
Pontiff knights
are just tough overall. A considerable bump in difficulty compared to Catacombs and the cathedral. I just killed the area boss with a +6 sharp sellswords. Was like cutting in butter. But when the
knights
get their combos going shit gets real.

Their combos really are insane. I don't parry so my 100% shield doesn't hold up at all and timing rolls has been difficult for me. Last night I was finally able to get through them and make it to that second bonfire but damn was it frustrating.

I wouldn't recommend going over 30 VGR in New Game. To be honest those stats look good for where you are in the game. You might want to get a few levels to get a bit more VGR (or your weapon's primary damage stat) but otherwise a good strategy against the Knights themselves is to lure them out one-by-one. Use throwing knives or kukri to facilitate pulls. They're structured in packs on purpose but for pretty much any encounter in Dark Souls, if you can get the enemy alone, they're pretty manageable (and as with pretty much all enemies, are susceptible to circle-strafing).

You can also just run past them if you're feeling particularly ballsy. It's what I did after getting stuck on them for a while. There aren't a ton of them, but there are definitely enough to cause trouble.

Thank you for the tips I'll just end up grinding VGR to around 25ish for now. I'm a bow user and I have longbow upgraded a couple times so I've been pulling them out that way. They have been the only regular enemies I've had consistent trouble with so far.

KHlover

Banned
Not quite. As you say yourself, you can win by killing all other phantoms, including invaders. So if a host summons you and has no other phantoms with him, you can help him out until someone invades, and then win by helping the host kill the invader
Important part being summoned. If you invade as purple guy you can't harm enemies, only host and summons.

Vitor711

The fast chugging speed for the estus ruins PvP for me.

Complain all you will about the ADP stat in DkS2, at least I had a chance of cancelling someone's health gain when they invaded me and were sloppy. Now, unless you have throwing knives equipped or are willing to waste the (very limited) regen blocking charms, most fights with invaders just degenerate into who runs out of Estus first.

Either slow that sh*t down, or don't allow invaders to heal. If someone makes constant mistakes, it should be punished. They shouldn't be able to win the fight by being sloppy and then catching a few lucky hits when I've been out-playing them the whole time and just got f*cking bored towards the end and stopped paying attention because things are dragging.

Zetta

Any recommended straight sword?

I'm rocking the Long Sword and its the closest to the swag sword from DS1. There's also the Lothric Sword but the reach is shorter and it takes more stamina per swing.

Anri is a woman? I swear in my game Anri sounds like a guy. I'm legit confused.

Anri's sex is the opposite of yours. Anri is male for female characters and female for males.

Draper

So, I'm at
Lothric Castle
and I've been using Irithyll Straight Sword up till now- I'm having a hard time parting with its speed and style, but at this point it feels super underpowered and I can't reach the 8 additional twinkling titanite needed to upgrade it further.

What weapon would you guys suggest I move to??

LiK

Yea, I know that but he's asking about the covenant. You don't have to kill the host but you can if you want the vertebrae for the ranks.

Also, fuck this farming. I had better luck with Concords over Shackles so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom