• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frillen

Is the Dark Sword noticeably better than the Long Sword when it comes to damage? I see that the Dark Sword has 115 base damage while the Long Sword has 110. The Dark Sword also has some better gard absorption.

I've never used the long sword. The only thing I can say is that the Dark Sword is significantly more powerful than the Battle Axe (starting weapon for the warrior). For me a basic attack on the last boss took 290 damage with the Dark Sword+10 with a heavy gem while only 190 with the Battle Axe+10 with a dark gem.

Sarcasm

I'm rocking the Long Sword and its the closest to the swag sword from DS1. There's also the Lothric Sword but the reach is shorter and it takes more stamina per swing.

Anri's sex is the opposite of yours. Anri is male for female characters and female for males.

Humm I will try it out.

Dark Sword is arguably the best straight sword in the game. And it is baller as shit. Gets A scaling in Strength with a heavy gem.

Get it from those dark wraiths mobs?

Reading weapon upgrades/info is a pain on the wiki - I am still clueless.

Jolkien

I wonder if I should change my +9 Heavy Claymore for a Heavy Dark Sword. I currently have 50 STR and 15 DEX. Any veteran could help me decide ? Can't handle the Fume Ultra Greatsword, it drains too much stamina for now.

LiK

The problem with Dark Sword is the shit range. You'll need to run in close and just go nuts. I have to say that I didn't fall in love with it. Stopped using it after I maxed out the Fume Greatsword.

zma1013

This just in: Using a shield, even one that is mediocre at blocking stuff, makes assumed unblockable bosses laughably easy.

I was doing it the hard way for a certain fight trying to roll, taking hits that cut 75% of my life, then just used the grass crest shield to block and it was easy peezy.

myco666

Not quite. As you say yourself, you can win by killing all other phantoms, including invaders. So if a host summons you and has no other phantoms with him, you can help him out until someone invades, and then win by helping the host kill the invader

Well in that particular instance yeah but it is highly unlikely for someone to summon a mound-maker for help especially since they spawn into a random location on the map. So the help they might provide can take a long time or they can even just wait and see what happens since Mound-maker wins from any situation.

Mogwai

Their combos really are insane. I don't parry so my 100% shield doesn't hold up at all and timing rolls has been difficult for me. Last night I was finally able to get through them and make it to that second bonfire but damn was it frustrating.

Thank you for the tips I'll just end up grinding VGR to around 25ish for now. I'm a bow user and I have longbow upgraded a couple times so I've been pulling them out that way. They have been the only regular enemies I've had consistent trouble with so far.
I usually just sprint to the second bonfire in that area. It's too much trouble to kill them all, especially solo. But it's difficult to know where to run to the first time :)

8YXhoIJ.jpg
thanks, game. very helpful.

Mana Sin

Does giving the Firekeeper
eyes
negate/stop you from getting the
Londor/Usurpation
ending, or does it just unlock an additional option for when you beat the final boss?

Finally defeated S
ulyvahn.
Im guessing the area at
Distant Manor
Bonfire is an optional area? And how much left of the game would you guys say I have? Im at 33 hours right now lol

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Farrons Watchdogs is a lot of fun
SL 30 and I can barely move for getting summoned

I wish they would tweak the mound cov so you can coop the boss
as it stands it is pointless summoning one unless you want to fight

The Lamp

Yeah, I kill enemies in 1 or 2 hits with heavy soul arrow. My INT is at like 38 right now lol. Just got to Itheryl dungeon.

Same here! Only now is magic starting to feel powerful haha.

Hey at what point can I heal my
hollowing curse? I've gotten the five free levels already.

Hakkuei

This just in: Using a shield, even one that is mediocre at blocking stuff, makes assumed unblockable bosses laughably easy.

I was doing it the hard way for a certain fight trying to roll, taking hits that cut 75% of my life, then just used the grass crest shield to block and it was easy peezy.

It is pretty ridiculous how using a shield trivializes some fights like A
byss
W
atchers
or P
ontiff
. Not exactly new but I guess DS3 might be worse in this regard.

Important part being summoned. If you invade as purple guy you can't harm enemies, only host and summons.

Yes, you can only kill monsters if you are summoned by the host. But even an invading mound-maker may benefit from helping the host in rare circumstances. It's very situational though. Consider the following scenario: you invade as a mound-maker in Road of Sacrifices, into a game where Watchdog Estoc Tryhard is fighting vs Host of Embers Scrubby McScrubface and phantoms Uchigatana Coward and xxxmotherloverxxx vs a giant crab. Let's say you team up with mr Tryhard and manages to take out the two phantoms summoned by the host. Now only you, mr Tryhard and Scrubby remain. At this point you can take pity on the host and betray Mr Tryhard. Only you and the host remains, which gives you a win.

Well in that particular instance yeah but it is highly unlikely for someone to summon a mound-maker for help especially since they spawn into a random location on the map. So the help they might provide can take a long time or they can even just wait and see what happens since Mound-maker wins from any situation.

The beauty of mound-makers is that you never know quite what to expect. So someone who likes chaos and spinning the wheel may summon them just for fun. If I ever do a second playthrough, it'll be one where I play in ember form throughout, än HAVE to summon every mound-maker I see. MAXIMUM CHAOS!

Cyrano

Humm I will try it out.

Get it from those dark wraiths mobs?

Reading weapon upgrades/info is a pain on the wiki - I am still clueless.
Gems and infusions are basically how you scale weapons with your stats so you get better damage out of them. Without the scaling a Raw or Fire infusion will typically be better.

Some special weapons cannot be infused, basically telling you that those weapons are going to scale how they're going to scale and thus can't be changed to fit your character as much.

Depending on your stats you want a different infusion for your weapon.

Crystal/Simple Infuse and improve based on INT
Blessed/Lightning based on FTH
Heavy based on STR
Sharp based on DEX
Refined for STR/DEX balance
Fire/Raw to remove scaling and give the weapon pure damage (not based on stats)
Dark/Chaos for INT/FTH balance

There are a few others as well but for now that should help you get something that suits your needs. Basically just pick or find the gem that most matches your stat loadout (so if you're putting points into STR, you want to infuse your weapon with Heavy gems, etc.)
Looks chaotic as fuck. Btw, do you lose souls if you die as a MM invader?
You always lose your souls if you lose/die as an invader, and have to go find them again where you lost them, or risk losing them permanently if you die again.

ISee

The problem with Dark Sword is the shit range. You'll need to run in close and just go nuts. I have to say that I didn't fall in love with it. Stopped using it after I maxed out the Fume Greatsword.

Fume sword is crazy good, at least for PvE. Playing with it is like being on easy mode.

Dahbomb

I am actually the opposite, played with Fume sword and while it was better than my standard UGS.. once I got Dark Sword I never really looked back. Fume Sword is just too slow in this game due to what you are against.

Dark Sword has a great combination of speed, stagger, stamina usage and damage with added bonus of a solid move set.

Tak3n

Banned
no way Dark Sword does not get nerfed, I have that at +10 plus Havels Greatshield and one on one PVP I can mostly just stand there and wait for their stamina to run out, especially those players with that lightning spear, just does not get through, However as PVP never seems to be 1v1 anymore (the host almost always either has people with him or runs around touching every summon sign they can find....

it is all for nothing as I get slaughtered

Whenever I am embered I now make a point of not calling for help, as it is frustrating being outnumbered all the time

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm so sick of this shit.

Day in and day out these invading bastards keep hiding behind strong mobs.

The fuck man, so stupid.
Code:
[IMG]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/271715738878738715/2C08D2355AE2BF9B892E468AFA4894389A72B3C9/[/IMG]

There was 2 invaders, killed 1 and this asshole that's sliding around slides over to these guys.

Yeah.

NEO0MJ

I'm using the Profaned Greatsword and the difference in speed is pretty huge coming from the Dark Sword. Still, it's nice to have some range :p

Also, this is what the Great Lord Greatsword in DaS 1 should have been like.

Jellie

Finally defeated S
ulyvahn.
Im guessing the area at
Distant Manor
Bonfire is an optional area? And how much left of the game would you guys say I have? Im at 33 hours right now lol

In terms of bosses you have
story bosses and at least
optional bosses left.

The fuck man, so stupid.
Code:
[IMG]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/271715738878738715/2C08D2355AE2BF9B892E468AFA4894389A72B3C9/[/IMG]

There was 2 invaders, killed 1 and this asshole that's sliding around slides over to these guys.

Yeah.

Were you alone? In that case, that was shitty of that invader if you had summons and refused to take him on one on one, of course he's going to hide behind mobs to have a chance.

Cyrano

so what the fuck is with the difficulty spike when you get to
Ithyrill?
Pretty standard for a Dark Souls game. Not disagreeing of course, it's a major hump. I do think that it's interesting how they decided to introduce difficulty via enemies in this game a lot more than environment. In past Souls games I was far more often dying to the environs than the enemies; I think this is the first one where the opposite is the case.

Raxious

The fuck man, so stupid.
Code:

Yeah.

Use a seed of a Giant Tree, it makes enemy mobs target the invaders as well.

what-ok

Is there a better way to kill the second
wyvern
that falls to the ground around the bend in the
mausoleum
area? I attacked it for a long time and did very little damage to its legs before getting pushed into the cliff face and smashed. )=

Anybody else thinks that second phase
Aldrich's arrow rain is BS? When I died to it earlier today, I was fine with it, thinking I got greedy and paid for it. But now that I think about it, I didn't REALLY do anything wrong. That attack is basically pure beginner's trap. The first phase teaches to get close and behind Aldrich when he initiates arrow rain, but second one punishes you for the same thing with a pretty much insta kill that doesn't even have any tell that may warn you, that you're now supposed to be doing exact opposite. Not too fond of that.

what-ok

Aldrich's arrow rain is BS? When I died to it earlier today, I was fine with it, thinking I got greedy and paid for it. But now that I think about it, I didn't REALLY do anything wrong. That attack is basically pure beginner's trap. The first phase teaches to get close and behind Aldrich when he initiates arrow rain, but second one punishes you for the same thing with a pretty much insta kill that doesn't even have any tell that may warn you, that you're now supposed to be doing exact opposite. Not too fond of that.

Oce you see him point his bow into the sky get ready to roll, roll, roll, roll, roll. Oh, and roll.

SkylineRKR

Is there a better way to kill the second
wyvern
that falls to the ground around the bend in the
mausoleum
area? I attacked it for a long time and did very little damage to its legs before getting pushed into the cliff face and smashed. )=

Buy max amount of arrows, grab a bow that scales best with your build. Shoot through the window in his face. Took me approx 60 arrows.

Oce you see him point his bow into the sky get ready to roll, roll, roll, roll, roll. Oh, and roll.

Nah, rolling through them did not seem to me like a great Idea. The trajectory of the arrows pretty much indicated that safest pot is behind him, so I just dashed there. Only to get shrecked. Second time the trick didn't work and I dealt with him fairly easily, so that particular trick is just a weird and out of place one time trap.

I eventually learned
that the arrows only have active hitboxes as they're falling from the sky, so you need to be brave and roll through them head on. Make sure quite a few arrows have already fallen and that Aldrich is doing something that will let you approach, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom