• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone tell me:

That room after the Heavy Archers at the end of Ithiryll with all the notes that said "This seems familiar". I assume it was some call back to DS1 or 2, but I didn't play those. Could you guys clue me in?

You find yourself in
Anor Londo
, a location from the first DS game.
Although everything was much prettier back then

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck so many hosts die to the AoE in phase two of the last boss.

SkylineRKR

I think invaders on the short end of the stick should get health and damage buff. I mean you have to fight 3 with limited resources. I know its your risk that you invade, but come on.

vladisaac

Finished the game in 39 hours and completed all the optional areas.

Overall: a lukewarm feeling after completing it.
Don't get me wrong, it is indeed great, but my experience with the game is not as memorable as the two previous Dark Souls (please note: I didn't play Demon Souls and Bloodborne).

In short, Dark Souls 3 "only" perfects the formula (which is a huge task nevertheless) and rarely propose new things. It's a potpourri of the best elements of each episode without being different enough and without having its own personality, which may be why I enjoyed it less than the 2 others Dark Souls.

Bosses are far better and more interesting to fight than the others Dark Souls (except one due to a gimmick). Solo-ed every boss except C
hampion Gundyr
(thank you Master). I have never mastered parrying, agressive bosses were quite a pain to beat. Most of them are quite memorable, particularly the N
ameless King
and the Final Boss. Definitely the highlight of the game.

I enjoyed a lot the first few areas, which seemed more vast with varied stuff to do. On the contrary, the middle of the game felt like a chore: the never ending succession of underground areas (
Catacombs > Lake > (...) > Dungeon > Capital
) was quite awful: "Deja vu, I've just been in this place before." Quite disappointed that the game had not a lot of memorable areas, only 2.5 areas felt memorable to me aesthetically speaking (
Irithyll, Archdragon Peak and Kiln of the First Flame
).

Dark Souls 3 seemed also more linear. You had branching paths here and there, but everything ended up aligned on the same direction.
One other design decision I didn't like: after each big obstacles, you'll get either a shortcut or a bonfire afterwards. As a result, discovering a bonfire didn't felt as rewarding as before.

Oh, and I love the title screen music.

After this run considering getting three more people so we can all make teenage mutant ninja turtles and invade people in the catacombs

Michaelangelo will likely have to use whip since there's no nunchucks

Wow. I just beat the final boss in my first attempt. I couldn't quite believe it was the end given how easy it was. Sort of petered out somewhat.

I looked at the achievements I needed to get once I'd finished and they don't seem like a fun thing to do. I platinumed Bloodborne because those trophies were interesting. But this? Collect all spells, rings and god knows what else. Balls to that.

shoreu

what's the ideal faith/int investment for pyromancy? I specced into it hard with 35/35, three rings for Fire dmg + dusk crown ring. But I'm thinking of making my build more versatile for PVP now that I've done PVE with pyros.

I have 12 int lol I may increase it later on for a few spells but that's it.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Is the summoning for
Archdragon Peak right before the King boss just crazy bugged!
The first time I try to summon someone it goes through the typical motions and then failed to summon, then I can't rest at the bonfire, nor quit the game, and every summon just fails instantly. I can homeward bone and that's about it. I think I have tried to summon over 50 signs.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is the summoning for
Archdragon Peak right before the King boss just crazy bugged!
The first time I try to summon someone it goes through the typical motions and then failed to summon, then I can't rest at the bonfire, nor quit the game, and every summon just fails instantly. I can homeward bone and that's about it. I think I have tried to summon over 50 signs.

Not bugged. There's just a ton of people summoning help there. When it doesn't work someone just beat you to it. If you drop a summon sign you get summoned almost instantly. If you don't hit a sign pretty much instantly when it pops up someone else got it first.

eot

Banned
I constantly get a feeling that a specific area or enemy or whatever is something that ties it to the earlier games. DS3 is my first Dark Souls game, before that I've only played Bloodborne. So maybe I'm not getting the most out of DS3 but it is nowhere near as good as BB IMO. Overall BB feels more consistent in theme and it has few truly shitty levels and perhaps more clever enemy placement.

So far no boss in DS3 has made my heart beat so hard like BB did.

BB's bossfights can get more intense simply because the game forces you to play without a shield, but if you opt into that playstyle in Dark Souls then I think you get the same feeling.

Holy shit.

787D63182F2993A2DDAF7A933BFC93C99845DA79

A recommendation for a fast/dex weapon?

I love the Irithyll Straight Sword but unfortunately it's a strength weapon.
Currently alternating between the Sharp Uchigatana and the Pontiff Curved Sword but was wondering what you guys use with your DEX build?
Uchigatana and lothric knight sword for early game. If you're around farron keep then you can get the dark sword. End game, you can get sunlight straight sword.
So how do I become a mad phantom then?

By joining
mound-makers
covenant. There are two ways to do it depending upon if you've killed the boss in
Undead Settlement
or not.

naw

Beat him just now.
On my 4th, or 5th attempt too.
Thought he would give me way more trouble.

Tried nameless king before him and always died after only a few seconds on that 2nd phase.
nice nice

After I made that intial post I ended up switching to generic knight armor cause the stuff I was using before was just to look cool lol. My weight ratio was like 28% before and my roll would go very far, going so far to the point where I couldn't counterattack properly when I would dodge his attacks. When I switched to the knight armor I got the medium dash, which was good because whenever I would dash I would be right on top of him and could stun him properly. Was pretty easy after that

i think that this boss is harder than
nameless king because for NK you only have to worry about his 2nd phase, but for this one you have to be on point for both phases

I always make sure I'm not holding a weapon in my right hand and am facing away when talking to a NPC.

Also, I've accidentally attacked two NPCs thinking they were enemies so far; thank God they didn't get pissed off. Meanwhile, I tried to talk to one enemy and nearly got myself killed because he looked like a NPC with how he was standing. LOL.

I've made Leonhard hostile in two playthroughs now...he's such a sensitive guy. One time I accidentally dropped down on him, did like single digit damage I swear, then he went crazy and made me loot/buy his armor. The other time, he caught an ultra greatsword backswing while I was fighting another NPC (that totally deserved it).

Brakke

Banned
So once I've joined the Mound Makers, am I allowed to kill the tree? Or do I have to go into that cave every time I want to turn in shackles?

Is anyone playing on Xbone and getting repeatedly booted to the main menu? I get an in-game message that comes up saying "Network error. Returning to title menu" or something along those lines, then I'm back at the menu.

This is happening constantly for me. I've had it since the JP release date, but this just started happening yesterday. Anyone else? I'm afraid it's going to soft-ban me from PVP because it keeps happening while I'm invading.

Is anyone playing on Xbone and getting repeatedly booted to the main menu? I get an in-game message that comes up saying "Network error. Returning to title menu" or something along those lines, then I'm back at the menu.

This is happening constantly for me. I've had it since the JP release date, but this just started happening yesterday. Anyone else? I'm afraid it's going to soft-ban me from PVP because it keeps happening while I'm invading.

it does that when i use suspend resume and have been gone for a while.

Mutombo

What is everyone's opinion of the 'best' weapon for a dexterity build?

I can't find much, to be honest.

For a weapon with Stance and Strong, two handed hits, I quite liked the Hollowslayer Greatsword. At +5 and 24 dexterity I was doing about 540 damage on those thrall monkeys in the archives. Plus, not many dex weapons with boss souls, so you want to spend those scales on something anyway.

I also really like the Goddard Twin Swords. That roll+L1 attack is a super reachy and fast poke, with two swords, for extra damage. Since many bosses rely on: roll, poke, roll, poke, anyway, its a good weapon to use on bosses.

No, I'm on PS4 having similar issues. Booted three times in an hour. I'm at Anor Londo.

Also, fuck Aldrich. I was making my way through this game at a great pace, and then I hit this brick wall. i've been stuck here since Friday. I can think of a few times where I've been a single hit from victory, and he's spammed everything he has.

Does anyone else find the online at Anor Londo to be ropey as hell? I can never summon more than one person and when I do, the framerate becomes screwy on the stairway turning the knights into a total nightmare. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Astral

Holy shit at the
Yhorm
fight.
Siegward
destroyed him. I felt so useless. I was also being stomped on with this one attack but it didn't do any damage. Was I invincible or was it some Wrath of God type attack?

Brohan

Is it possible to backup your save on ps4? At a critical point for an npc questline and would like to be able to revert back if things go awry.

test_account

XP-39C²
So once I've joined the Mound Makers, am I allowed to kill the tree? Or do I have to go into that cave every time I want to turn in shackles?
I think that you can kill the tree and still be able to join the Mound Makers covenant. I searched on Youtube now, and i cant recall getting into the cage. I think i just killed that boss and still got the covenant item somehow.

Is it possible to backup your save on ps4? At a critical point for an npc questline and would like to be able to revert back if things go awry.
Yes, go to the PS4 settings and save data.

Is this boss considered very hard? It just attacks the walls
I've seen him get stuck attacking walls when I was helping people as a sunbro, but normally, if you try to solo him, you need to manage your stamina and position w.r.t. the boss very carefully.
In essence, I'd say this boss fight needs to be handled pretty carefully. He's not hard if you're aware of your positioning and stamina at all times
You have to roll under him. He mostly does forward charges. First phase is harder imo. Which makes sense.

Yep. But it's very difficult to stay under him all the time coz he jumps and charges a lot and sometimes you'll get hit even if you're under him. Also, his staff frost attack, which he uses pretty frequently if you stay under him, is pretty damaging if you don't get out of its way quickly.

SkylineRKR

Tree as in boss?

I first joined the Covenant, then homeward out and murdered the Tree. The bonfire there is insta access to the MM shrine.

I've seen him get stuck attacking walls when I was helping people as a sunbro, but normally, if you try to solo him, you need to manage your stamina and position w.r.t. the boss very carefully.

You have to roll under him. He mostly does forward charges. First phase is harder imo. Which makes sense.

Brohan

Yes, go to the PS4 settings and save data.

Thanks! And just delete save and then replace with the backup files if needed? Hope i won't have to... would feel like cheating.. but i really can't be bothered with having to retry those questlines in ng+ or on a whole new character.

The Lamp

What kind of clothing and shield should I go for as a magic build?

I've been wearing the same thing since like the first 8 hours of the game hahahahaha.

LogicStep

Just beat the last boss with 2 other bros. Now to try invading and other builds I suppose. I still haven't discovered everything though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom