• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floody

When I was having trouble with a boss, rather than use embers up, I preferred using the sun covenant and the white soapstone. If you help someone beat a boss, you get an ember back + embered automatically if you're not, and risk free practice at learning the bosses moves.

Of course, you have to beat the boss without summoning other players when you do it!

I have around 80, so I'm not too bothered about wasting a few. It's just the first few time I went in no embered I got one shotted. Didn't know about the free embering though.

Any tips for
Dragonslayer Armor
I think this is the first boos I'm legit having trouble with. I can get him down to half but then he wrecks my shit plus there's the environment stuff that makes it harder.

Is there any way to farm embers? I bought all of them from the shine maiden but no I have a big fat zero. Is there a way to respec in this game like 2?

I farmed my embers at an easy boss, just co-op one. I did mine at D
eacon
of T
he
D
eep
done around 30 attempts in about an 30-45 minutes.

usp84

Uh, no? That's actually the whole point of my post.

Again, I'm just so tired of internet negativity lately and make it seem worse than it is. I'm seriously considering just stopping getting on gaming forums and such.

The fuck?

As I said you willingly ignore all the people praising the game.You can't seriously believe that suddenly everyone doesn't like the game can you?

Yeah maybe it is a good idea

You can actually cheese that thing really easily.
There aren't any fog walls and if you run past it back through the archway at the start of the bridge it'll stop attacking you letting you get in some free hits, then it'll despawn. It'll respawn again when you walk back through but his health won't reset, so you can just do that a few times if you're having too much trouble.

Yeah, I noted that pretty fast because I'm a
cheese master :)
but I was double fisting away with a +4 Fire Broadsword and it was like grating cheese with a spoon. It was a really disapointing realization that my sword wasn't cutting it anymore (figuratively and literally!) Now I'm farming souls so I can level my DEX up to 18 and use this fucking black blade or dark sword or whatever it is people are going crazy about (I dunno why you would call one sword black blade and another dark sword, that just seems dumb to me).

Brakke

Banned
Two late game questions:

Is
Archdragon Peak
worth the trouble? Between the
axe-wielding serpents and the mages that summon NPC knights and Havels
, I'm really having trouble with this area. I love the sunny look of it and how much it stands out from the other environments, but the enemies are a real pain.

I gave the Fire Keeper the
Fire Keeper Eyes
. What are the implications of the two options of the question she asks?

The final boss there is a Cool Motherfucker. And there's some armor / gear that you can only get on the Peak. Plus a bunch of enemies there drop Titanite (and there's a Slab or two in the area). It was one of my favorite zones.

Hagi

I have around 80, so I'm not too bothered about wasting a few. It's just the first few time I went in no embered I got one shotted.

I farmed my embers at an easy boss, just co-op one. I did mine at D
eacon
of T
he
D
eep
done around 30 attempts in about an 30-45 minutes.

Huh so you get one for every co-op boss battle. That's really cool thanks for the help.

pa22word

I love DS2 but I'd put these bosses above DS2's base offerings, for the most part. They're very strong, conceptually.

DS2 has bonfire ascetics and champions cov though, meaning it's very easy to make the bosses more fun if you want to. Here?
Abyss Watchers
is always going to be a shit fight that looks pretty no matter what you do to it.

A
ldrich
was a real tough customer, but took him down eventually. Real fun fight.

Looks like the
not so tiny dancer
is next on the chopping block, wish me luck.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Can I only buy a finite number of Embers from the woman in Firelink Shrine, and if so is there a way to farm them?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So are there item dupe guides yet?

1441092112-0-discaric3ud0l.jpg

ViciousDS

Banned
So, got my start guide today and really should have listened to the reviews.....the fucking maps are terrible and why the hell do you split the map into small sections when doing a detailed run in the guide and NOT put item location and everything on there. Dear heavens the guide is fucking awful.

Your better off printing the ones from the wiki

Uh, no? That's actually the whole point of my post.

Again, I'm just so tired of internet negativity lately and make it seem worse than it is. I'm seriously considering just stopping getting on gaming forums and such.

The fuck?

If you really like something negative posts tend to stick out a lot more to you as you read them. It's just human nature.

With that said, OTs are generally the place where people will be the most positive, so a game with generally poor reviews will still have people being generally positive in the game's OT. That's not to say DS3 is being received poorly, just pointing out that different threads will feature different kinds of people. If it's something closer to a general gripe thread about game X or Y people will feel a lot more comfortable venting frustrations, and that can lead to hyperbole ("the WORST souls game!!")

DS2 has bonfire ascetics and champions cov though, meaning it's very easy to make the bosses more fun if you want to. Here?
Abyss Watchers
is always going to be a shit fight that looks pretty no matter what you do to it.

I feel like it's just a hair away from being a brilliantly designed boss. I really do like the attack patterns, and while the
respawning clone
got pretty annoying, I was able to start being better at avoiding attacks and
crowd control
. It exhibits the best kind of Souls boss in that you start and after a couple of deaths you go "jesus CHRIST this thing is hard...how the hell am I ever going to beat this?!" and then after you try more and more you start to get better and what used to be a huge accomplishment ("yes, I beat the boss!! Wait...
there's a second form?!"
), is now something you routinely do while trying to kill it.

Unfortunately for me, I only got as far as consistently getting
the second form down to ~30% health
, but never more than that. Then the whole encounter started becoming more and more frustrating until I gave up and summoned help to pummel ass. I kinda feel disappointed I didn't solo it all the way through but the boss was missing a certain something that kept me from trying to solo it. It had me at "OK ONE more try, I got this!" for a really long until until it just lost me and became frustrating.

Floody

So are there item dupe guides yet?

I think the only way is to backup a save, join a friend, drop them everything and then reload your old save, your friend does the same for you when you're done. I haven't tried it though, so don't take my word on it.

Dimmle

Abyss Watchers

I liked that fight...

I am pretty sore over the lack of bonfire ascetics, though. They let you become intimately familiar with the game's bosses.

Maffis

Sorry, thought it was pretty obvious that I meant Manu's downright inaccurate, almost-trollish post.

not sure why you think his post was in any way trollish? he said he had read some negatives about the game and also explained them reasonably, but at the same time he also said he disagrees with them.

so why you decided to flame him for it?

Manu

I think
Abyss Watchers
is one of the best boss fight in the game.

It is, although I expected a harder fight myself.

Last night I had a friend come over and he played the intro of the game, he never played Souls before. He died a lot in Cemetery of Ash and then it took him about 8 tries to beat Gundyr. You kinda forget how tough it can be for new players.

I like how the way this game does it: it ramps the difficulty up in Irythill. At that point, even the new players must've learned the ropes and the game is like "ok, so everyone ready? let's do this, for real now."

I think the only way is to backup a save, join a friend, drop them everything and then reload your old save, your friend does the same for you when you're done. I haven't tried it though, so don't take my word on it.
Pretty much the only way. Personal experiences giving my rl friend a lot of embers so we can do coop.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yes, can also farm Lothric Knights (easy spot from first bonfire) and they have a decent drop rate, especially if you use Symbol of Avarice.

=\

Paid online is such bullshit.

I would try farming them from Lothric Knights then, I know they and other enemies drop them.

Thanks guys, one last thing (if you don't mind), can NPCs be summoned in offline mode?

J-Skee

Finally, Al
drich
is freaking dead, dead, dead. Now to push forwa.... WTF is happening?

EDIT: I... I shouldn't have walked forward.

Tesser

I've tried my damnedest to actually like PvP, but alas, I can't. I just can't see PvP being, in any shape or form, fun to me. I'd actually written out a long-winded explanation/rant as to why it's not my cup of tea, but I fear anything I say that is in anyway critical of this game, will automatically deem me a 'hater', hence why I deleted it and instead have decided to leave it at this.

MrHoot

S'aright mate

I'm probably one of the most vocal grumpies right now but I also love the game in a lot of ways. I think a lot of souls fans are also very ornery, but also because the games have set a high standard :p but ya know, you're always more severe with what you love and such. These games also always have so much going on that having arguments about them and criticism makes also for good analysis of basically why these games are so appreciated for so many different things.

I think a lot of people who criticize also really enjoy the game, in fact many say so. But oh well, there's always room for improvement in almost every soulsborne game that came out

Rizific

was about 4-5 attempts into N
ameless
K
ing
and got that fucker down to one hit left. ONE. but what happens? i get greedy and try to go for it when i know damn well it isnt safe.

S'aright mate

I'm probably one of the most vocal grumpies right now but I also love the game in a lot of ways. I think a lot of souls fans are also very ornery, but also because the games have set a high standard :p but ya know, you're always more severe with what you love and such. These games also always have so much going on that having arguments about them and criticism makes also for good analysis of basically why these games are so appreciated for so many different things.

I think a lot of people who criticize also really enjoy the game, in fact many say so. But oh well, there's always room for improvement in almost every soulsborne game that came out

Yep. I think the game is great, which makes the screwed up balance with weapons/magic/poise (IMO) all the more frustrating. I just want the game to be the best it can be.

Oh, and the constant pausing/hitching during gameplay is annoying as hell, so iwannarant.

gaugebozo

ASS (hehehe) has higher base damage, and going by the listed damage, is a beast when raw infused, but the Longsword has better scaling. You also need 12 faith with the ASS.
Man you aren't kidding about the raw infusion. I think it's actually better then my +3 wolf Knight's greatsword. I think I'll go with this for a while because as a pyro I already have 14 in faith.

Danny 117

My new favourite thing to do is to wait for someone to bow in a duel and whilst they do it, I charge up Soul Stream and fire. They seem to think I'm applying a buff to myself then BAM! LOL

pa22word

I haven't finished the game, but I think this is my favorite boss so far, even though I managed to kill "him" in just two tries.
I mean yeah I think mirror knight is a wonderfully pretty fight that has a lot going on aesethically, but that doesn't really change the fact that he as long as you know how to roll you can beat him in about 2 mins because his health bar is so short.

That's essentially aw. Except aw doesn't have anything going for it in game mechanics to make it more interesting. No bonfire ascetics no champions cov, just a 2 min fight you can tank through without burning an estus if you can roll right.

Manu

Man you aren't kidding about the raw infusion. I think it's actually better then my +3 wolf Knight's greatsword. I think I'll go with this for a while because as a pyro I already have 14 in faith.

Wolf Knight Greatsword was probably my single biggest disappointment with the game. I also had it up to +3 for the
Pontiff
boss fight, and the attack speed was too low for it to be viable. After dying about 20 times to the boss, I switched back to my starting Battle Axe +6, and got him on my first try.

As it stands now, the tradeoff of lower attack speed for higher damage output for most greatswords and ultra greatswords is just not worth it.

JTCx

Going by that thread opened today, apparently DS3 is the worst DS by far because it doesn't do anything new and everything feels like a retread. Also something about uninspired bosses and such. I mean, the game does some callbacks and references, and it goes a bit overboard at times, but I just can't see this one being the worst. And it's been extremely well received critically too.

I don't know. I've been extra sensitive to internet negativity lately.

Its typical GAF, people usually go overboard with their opinions.I've heard someone said that Nashandra is a better final boss than
Soul of Cinders

lolwut

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Always great when you're trying to get your sun bro medals and Xbox Live takes a dump for the second time this weekend.

Ok, so it's not just me. It's doubly frustrating because I have to do the "download something else on the side" in order to get past the calibration phase and actually got online in Dark Souls 3 in the first fucking place. So after doing all that and then getting a network error 5 minutes after, I want to throw my controller.

pa22word

My new favourite thing to do is to wait for someone to bow in a duel and whilst they do it, I charge up Soul Stream and fire. They seem to think I'm applying a buff to myself then BAM! LOL
If you get spawned into a fight club and tried to pull that shit i would have no ill feeling towards ganking your ass for it. Just a heads up >.>

FHIZ

So I beat
Watcher of the Abyss and Crystal Sage
yesterday, which path is probably best to follow first? I've reached the first bonfire after each and I'm not really sure which one is more level appropriate or what not.

K' Dash

Nah quite a lot of people on GAF enjoy the game a lot. It might be divisive at worst.

I can't really agree with anyone who says it's the worst Souls.

We'll see in a few weeks when the hype deflates, I'll reserve my unpopular opinion until then.

Not that I don't love the game, but yeah, there was some disappointing stuff.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Just defeated
Lorian, Elder Prince.
Where do I go from there? I am assuming only one boss is left after him.

Also if someone can tell me how to access the N
amless king?
I would be thankful. I think that is the name.

MilkBeard

Going by that thread opened today, apparently DS3 is the worst DS by far because it doesn't do anything new and everything feels like a retread. Also something about uninspired bosses and such. I mean, the game does some callbacks and references, and it goes a bit overboard at times, but I just can't see this one being the worst. And it's been extremely well received critically too.

I don't know. I've been extra sensitive to internet negativity lately.

I don't agree, it's up there with my favorite in the series. If you go to the ranking topic, you will see a lot of people ranking it in the upper half.

I honestly don't care that there are retread areas. It is part of the story. And the combat is the best in the series, except for Bloodborne.

It's also just now two weeks in, and we have to see how FromSoft nerfs/buffs certain weapons.

DS3 is one of my favorites, and I probably beat it the fastest due to non-stop playing (I've put somewhere around 100 hours into each game except for Demon's Souls at this point).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom