• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facism

Question about Yoel/
Yuria/Anri
's questline:

So I uh, "married" Anri... which was weird as shit :( and Yuria is pleased.

What now? Does this just affect the ending? If I cure the hollowing now (via Firekeeper) will that change this path, or am I "locked" into the ending?

Anri was carrying 3 Dark Sigils, which you now own. You should have 8 total, which is what you need for one of the endings.

You're not locked into any ending. The Dark Sigils/hollowing are required for 1 of the endings, but you can cure both before the end of the game. The remaining endings would still be available to you if you did.

Yuria might get upset and leave firelink if you do decide to cure the Dark Sigils and your hollowing, though. I wouldn't bother, to be honest. Carry on as normal and get the related ending this playthrough, as your Sigils/hollowing are things that don't carry over to NG+.

roytheone

I am pretty disappointed with the puppy covenant :(
I was a bellBro in DS 2 and loved it, you would invade at least once every hour, often more. Here though, I have had the item on for a good 3 hours now, and invaded only once :(

Forkball

d40TRz3.jpg

I only do it for a laugh now and then, as firstly you rarely get 1 on 1 anyway TBH, my one this morning I could see the guys spirit break and he just kept unloading as much as he could and I would still have 50% stamina to hit him with, he went through 6 etsus, I used none and only got hit once by my own mistake

I'm curious how that build does against Gundyr's Halberd and the Knight-Slayer ring. Gundyr's Halberd supposedly does a ton of poise damage and the Knight-Slayer rings buff it too. I at least notice the difference in PVP with the ring equipped only take two swings with the halberd against a blocking opponent with a medium shield to stagger them.

I met a Smough and Ornstien combo in Irithyll last night. They weren't very good.

MilkBeard

I was a bellBro in DS 2 and loved it, you would invade at least once every hour, often more. Here though, I have had the item on for a good 3 hours now, and invaded only once :(

If you aren't that far, there is a later covenant that you will be invading every minute or two.

Got the game tonight...I am not a smart man.

Put a bunch of points into vitality instead of vigor, hoping to get more HP... *facepalm*

Aside from that, and dying a lot, its great. The random drops to 45fps from 60 is a bit odd though, but doesnt happen often.

Arkanius

Just finished Dark Souls III:

Loved every second of it, but... it felt like Dark Souls 1.5

I still think Dark Souls II did more to push the franchise further despite some bad decisions. Dark Souls II was grander, bigger, and more fun. The Lore was all new and made small references to DS1. DS3 depends on DS1 for almost everything.

I just wish DS2 had the DS3 engine and it would be the perfect game.

DS3 felt more focused and connected, but it didn't awe me unlike some areas of DS2.

Instead of going in NG. I want to replay Dark Souls 2 with the DLC :(

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
Get a sword with really long reach and it's not that hard to kill them. Most of the guys running it aren't very good at the game, so they tank behind it hoping it'll carry them. Do a bunch of crazy unpredictable shit like rolling 8 times in random directions and catch them between a bash with a counter R1.

I've beaten 4/5 guys I've seen running it, and the one I didn't kill I suicide'd because I got tired of him.

This. That Havel video is far from the truth. And usually you get invaded by more than one phantoms. Therefore you are doomed if it's more than one invaders.

This works well like said with people that don't know the game well. There are solutions to this.

Leezard

I only do it for a laugh now and then, as firstly you rarely get 1 on 1 anyway TBH, my one this morning I could see the guys spirit break and he just kept unloading as much as he could and I would still have 50% stamina to hit him with, he went through 6 etsus, I used none and only got hit once by my own mistake

Get a sword with really long reach and it's not that hard to kill them. Most of the guys running it aren't very good at the game, so they tank behind it hoping it'll carry them. Do a bunch of crazy unpredictable shit like rolling 8 times in random directions and catch them between a bash with a counter R1.

I've beaten 4/5 guys I've seen running it, and the one I didn't kill I suicide'd because I got tired of him.

Ah, I see. I might've overreacted due to the video.

Grassy

Just beat D
ragonslayer
A
rmour
on my first attempt. What a fight, loved it. I summoned one person but they died when the boss was down to a bit under half its health. I thought I was going to get destroyed but managed to survive with no Estus charges and half my health left...feels so good.

In the demo, wasn't there some weird thing were you could spend embers at graves to get random lore crap?

Is that still in the game? I haven't seen anything like it.

I never played the demo, just saw some videos on it.
I wondered about that too. I'm playing offline so I thought either it's like messages or since I hadn't seen anyone talk about it, they just removed it. I really didn't think it added anything in the demo, so I can't say it's missed.

I got to W
olnir
yesterday and seemed to remember from the trailer him being in a chamber with shallow water, so I guess they changed his location too, along with Vordt who iirc was in the place with the
Darkwraith
is now.

Tak3n

Banned

this, the amount of times the guy just stand there hitting me without any foresight on what to do is crazy....

as you said it is about outwitting your opponent

however I disagree about your statement about them not being very good... I could say that Etus players (who there seem to be a never ending amount of, because it is suppose to be the pvp build) are not very good, but I wont....choosing a build does not make you bad or good, it is about choices...

vocab

Auto summons are basically non functional for me and a lot of other people after the patch.

Halberd in PVP feels interesting. So far I've won 6 out of 7 pvp fights with it. It's pretty effective against R1 spam attacks with long swords and rapiers, because you just outrage them. It's not so good against a high stability and strength build. The one fight I lost, the guy was using the Fume Knight Greatsword and that shit just wrecked me. It wasn't so much the range as the charge attack. The halberd is so useful in just stun locking and out ranging an opponent. A heavy weapon like that is pretty devastating.

So far PVP has felt really fun. I'm thinking of going a Greatsword build next game, or maybe some dual weapons. What are some good dual weapons?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't remember who said that invading in the
Consumed King's Garden
was fun, but it is. Toxic swamp + monsters + knights = mayhem. Sometimes I get destroyed, sometimes I make it out alive, even when there's a phantom helper.

In one match two guys were camping on one of the upper ledges near the elevator. They were taking shots at me, so I tried to go up. When I got to the elevator, they dropped down and tried to ambush me. Nearly dead (+toxic'ed) I started running. When they got back to me, I was prepared again and somehow managed to get them both in a few hits. Felt so good after almost being killed in that ambush.

I'm not that good in pvp, but the scenarios you can find yourself in, make it worthwhile. Even if you get annihilated :p

Respect to anyone who can beat
the watchers of the abyss
alone. That seems basically impossible.

Yeah I had to since the servers were offline. First roadblock, really wasn't easy. First phase isn't that hard, but second phase feels like
Artorias on speed

Mendrox

It's one of the easier fights in the game if you played Bloodborne. Just dodge into him in phase 2 that is really all. If you dodge away you will get wrecked bad if you have bad timing, but dodging into him? He wont do shit. Phase 1 is for free by parrying or luring if you are bad at the game.

roytheone

I just did this fight yesterday, took me two tries. I could basically stagger the additional enemies with my zweihander until they were dead, which made the first phase pretty manageable. The second phase was really just a case of dodging and finding out which attacks left him open long enough for me to get a single attack in, and then it was just a case of being patient and keep dodging until I saw the opening.

Moonlight

Banned
Fuck everything about fighting above
the rafters in the Cathedral of the Deep. I haven't been this pissed about an area in a game in a long fucking while. Fine, put enemies on narrow areas where a light nudge will instantly kill you. No complaints there. I just can't see any good reason why they had to be nearly impossible to stagger knights with movesets that constantly push you around. It's just not fun to deal with at all. It's not even that satisfying to beat them, and certainly incredibly demoralizing to die by them. Worse yet is that they saw fit to give one of the assholes a fucking crossbow that absolutely will knock you to your doom if you're caught off-guard. This is the first area in the game I don't have any reservations calling complete bullshit.

I guess your closest comparison would be the Anor Londo archers but it's not even close to the same thing. The arrows are annoying and similarly punish imprecision the game hasn't really done much of up to that point, but it's really just a matter of not getting hit. And it's really made up for by that satisfaction in finally killing them. These knight shitlords; on the other hand, are straight up enemies that you're expecting to fight and apply all this knowledge to right up there on this narrow band of terrain and it's just... augh. Ugh. Fuck them. Even beating them, I didn't feel any real sense of satisfaction. I was just glad I was done with it.

Just another reason why Patches is the fucking worst.

Audioboxer

Fuck everything about fighting above
the rafters in the Cathedral of the Deep. I haven't been this pissed about an area in a game in a long fucking while. Fine, put enemies on narrow areas where a light nudge will instantly kill you. No complaints there. I just can't see any good reason why they had to be nearly impossible to stagger knights with movesets that constantly push you around. It's just not fun to deal with at all. It's not even that satisfying to beat them, and certainly incredibly demoralizing to die by them. Worse yet is that they saw fit to give one of the assholes a fucking crossbow that absolutely will knock you to your doom if you're caught off-guard. This is the first area in the game I don't have any reservations calling complete bullshit.

I guess your closest comparison would be the Anor Londo archers but it's not even close to the same thing. The arrows are annoying and similarly punish imprecision the game hasn't really done much of up to that point, but it's really just a matter of not getting hit. And it's really made up for by that satisfaction in finally killing them. These knight shitlords; on the other hand, are straight up enemies that you're expecting to fight and apply all this knowledge to right up there on this narrow band of terrain and it's just... augh. Ugh. Fuck them. Even beating them, I didn't feel any real sense of satisfaction. I was just glad I was done with it.

Just another reason why Patches is the fucking worst.

I hate that area for another reason lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edz6UU3h3go

Yes this happened to me. Just when I thought I was clear.

KeRaSh

Pretty easy fight if you
let them fight eachother. Second form just takes a little patience and some quality rolling. Beat them on my second attempt. First one being unembered and even then I was two hits away from winning but I got greedy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
At this point I don't wanna go to NG+ so I'm helping ppl on bosses and fighting invasions. It's a blast.

Playing sunbros to get that holy spear.

Watchers of the Abyss is a tough fight for any build that can't stagger. If you are good at parrying I hear it's stupid easy, but that's true for a lot of enemies.

Anyone used the Great Scythe yet? I'm trying to work out dmg scaling.

psychotron

Do I need to attack the
sleeping giant in Irithyll Dungeon
to get to the
profane capital
? I may have missed a different way.

NeoGiff

I beat them solo on my first attempt. Thought the fight was very similar to Maria's in the Bloodborne DLC. Funnily enough, I naturally reverted to a more agile, dodge-heavy Bloodborne-esque type of play style, which seems the ideal way to tackle that particular fight. I can imagine getting slaughtered if you focus on blocking.

BKJest

Beat him first try alone. One of the easier bosses of the game, incredible easy to backstab. I think I only used two estus flasks.
It's all about playstyle and when you get there I guess. For me it was also the boss that gave me the most trouble aside from the final 2 main bosses and the hardest optional boss. On the other hand I easily beat
Champion Gundyr
and the
Dancer
first try easily which other people have trouble with.

Leezard

Do I need to attack the
sleeping giant in Irithyll Dungeon
to get to the
profane capital
? I may have missed a different way.

Nah, there's another path.
You can just drop down a path in one of the areas above. There should be three places to drop down, and the ladder you can use to get to that sleeping giant. Two of the drop-down places bring you to the giant, one of them bring you to a path you can use to get to the capital.

Tak3n

Banned
found the best way to PVP, on the final boss path, no enemies etc, now stay unhollowed and you can summon dark red spirits...so finally you can make it 1 on 1, always about 3 dark red spirits wanting to fight

As someone who relies on blocking, I think the bosses are much more difficult because of it.

Block, eventually lose stamina and then get staggered.

I cannot no matter how many times I try, to parry. The timing is really strange.

I understand people enjoying the difficulty and challenge, but I feel the game has sudden spikes of difficulty that make me put the game down.

Jellie

Watchers of the Abyss is a tough fight for any build that can't stagger. If you are good at parrying I hear it's stupid easy, but that's true for a lot of enemies.

Anyone used the Great Scythe yet? I'm trying to work out dmg scaling.

I used it for the majority of the game. Had it +10 but the damage and speed is very lacking late game I think. Probably good for attacking groups of enemies with the moveset, the bleed and the stagger but use a different weapon for bosses.
I was doing about 150 damage I think with a +10 sharp great scythe with 30-40 dex on the Dancer while my friend was doing about 230 with his weapon. Can't remember what he picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom