• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really starting to fall in love with the game now thanks to some of the areas and bosses I've seen recently. Ir
ithyll
and Ir
ithyll Dungeon
are incredible areas, not to mention the majestic feeling of
seeing Anor Londo again.
Aldrich
is easily one of my favorite bosses so far, I just loved his visual style as well as the music and arena. He was a little tricky at first but fair once I learned his moves (as with most great Souls bosses). I enjoyed it so much I stuck around and helped some fellow adventurers take him on in co-op.

Honestly it just feels like the game is really coming into its own now. I loved the earlier areas as well but they seem even better as part of this whole package; a feeling very similar to the one I got with Bloodborne.

As for weapons I'm using a Heavy Great Machete +7 and as much as I'd like to switch it up once in awhile this thing is just too good. Absolute beast of a weapon and it looks great as well.

<3 Souls

KHlover

Banned
As someone who relies on blocking, I think the bosses are much more difficult because of it.

Block, eventually lose stamina and then get staggered.

I cannot no matter how many times I try, to parry. The timing is really strange.

I understand people enjoying the difficulty and challenge, but I feel the game has sudden spikes of difficulty that make me put the game down.

Did you upgrade your shield? Upgraded shields worked very well for me against even late-game bosses.

Jellie

I used it for the majority of the game. Had it +10 but the damage and speed is very lacking late game I think. Probably good for attacking groups of enemies with the moveset, the bleed and the stagger but use a different weapon for bosses.
I was doing about 150 damage I think with a +10 sharp great scythe with 30-40 dex on the Dancer while my friend was doing about 230 with his weapon. Can't remember what he picked.
Edit: Might not have been +10 then. Can't remember 100%.
Edit 2: Oops accidentally quoted not edited my post.

psychotron

Nah, there's another path.
You can just drop down a path in one of the areas above. There should be three places to drop down, and the ladder you can use to get to that sleeping giant. Two of the drop-down places bring you to the giant, one of them bring you to a path you can use to get to the capital.

Thanks. Yeah I just picked one down the end of a hallway and dropped down. I'll have to find my way back up.

Milijango

Wait.. so the fact that poise doesn't (or hardly) works is because of a programmig mistake? Hope they patch this.

It may not be accidental. The game launched a month ago and has received 5 calibrations (i.e. balance patches). How can they have not noticed internally for this long?

Ricker

Nah, there's another path.
You can just drop down a path in one of the areas above. There should be three places to drop down, and the ladder you can use to get to that sleeping giant. Two of the drop-down places bring you to the giant, one of them bring you to a path you can use to get to the capital.

Found the path that leads to the Capital(got killed at one point by that flying demon on the bridge) but did not find the other 2 to the Giant...same area I guess...? similar to the one that has rats and Capital way....?

Brohan

It may not be accidental. The game launched a month ago and has received 5 calibrations (i.e. balance patches). How can they have not noticed internally for this long?

I guess.. but what reason could they possibly have to disable poise? This could simply be another case like DS2's durability bug that didnt get fixed until SOTFS.

Leezard

Found the path that leads to the Capital(got killed at one point by you probably know what) but did not find the other 2 to the Giant...same area I guess...? similar to the one that has rats and Capital way....?

The other two drop-down places just bring you right next to
the giant
so they are not interesting.

UrbanRats

Respect to anyone who can beat
the watchers of the abyss
alone. That seems basically impossible.

I had a lot of problems with the mace, 30+tries level of problems.
Then i switched to the long sword and beat them in one try, it was like night and day.

You need a fast weapon that staggers, and they become quite doable.

KHlover

Banned
I think it's at +2, I'm assuming the upgrades remove the stagger at higher levels?

With higher stability you lose less stamina per hit on your shield. If the stability is high enough enemies that would have torn down your stamina before will rebound off your shield.

While it's still nowhere near DS1 or 2 levels of useful fully upgraded shields still enabled me to block
Nameless King
and the final boss relatively well. You won't be able to block their longest combos completely, but smaller ones are feasible.

Note: My END was near/at 40 during those fights, so YMMV

Ugh a lot of the time when I do coop, the host never attempted the boss. In addition the host tends to hang back while I do all the work. I don't mind helping people but atleast try to beat the boss.

ys45

Managed to beat the
Abyss Watchers
on my first try solo but I might have been high lvl (think I was 35ish) the second phase is quite something though he don't leave much opening, near the end I was out of Estus and half HP

That feeling when you beat a boss and you are almost dead only on Souls games you get to feel that nowadays .

Am I mean for laughing at hosts that die to A
ldrich's dagger rain insanity
when he's about 1 hit from death? I had this happen once where we were so close to finishing the boss I killed him after the host died and I hadn't been transported yet, haha.

Kazuhira

As someone who relies on blocking, I think the bosses are much more difficult because of it.

I cannot no matter how many times I try, to parry. The timing is really strange.

I understand people enjoying the difficulty and challenge, but I feel the game has sudden spikes of difficulty that make me put the game down.

Small shields are amazing for parrying,just practice a little and you'll do just fine.
I think the game just want you to not rely on shields too much because circle-strafing&blocking has been a foolproof strategy for too long in the series.
Most of the time i try to evade and block only when it's necessary.
At least that's my experience with my current build,maybe i could go with something more tank-ish with my next character.

pa22word

Nope, nothing.

Also, it turns out player character poise exists - it's just disabled in the game files w/o a hex editor.
This is kind of infuriating after just finishing the game on ng+ on a greatsword build >.<

Any chance of a patch fixing this?

I mean I wouldn't expect so otherwise but considering there's a poise stat on the stat page that does literally nothing >.>

Dimmle

Ugh a lot of the time when I do coop, the host never attempted the boss. In addition the host tends to hang back while I do all the work. I don't mind helping people but atleast try to beat the boss.
I've also had hosts hide after summoning me through Way of Blue instead of help me repel the invader. Super irritating.

Dartastic

I kinda want to kill
Patches.
I'm sick of his shit.

Also, all this talk about the
Abyss Watchers
when the
Pontiff
is the real menace. Holy shit.

Kaibutsu

Put another 12 or so hours in over the weekend and beat P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
, A
ldrich
, Y
horm
and the D
ancer
of the B
oreal Valley
. I think I might have been hitting a wall with the game because I was progressing at my super slow and methodical pace (I'm 58 hours in right now, level 97 and just entered L
othric Castle

So a few things, 1) it looks like I'm going to get the best ending without even meaning to. Things just kind of worked out and I didn't have to use a guide to get that one. 2) I did have to look up some stuff about S
iegward's
quest line and got him to the Y
horm
fight only to have him die rather quickly in that fight... 3) Am I going to get more Titanite Scales? I feel like I've been stuck on my +3 Wolfs Knight's Greatsword for a while now.

Ok now for my questions. 1) Should I give R
osaria's soul back to her
after killing R
ing Finger Leonhart
I feel really bad about not doing that yet. 2) Is there another sorcery NPC towards the end of the game? I killed O
rbeck
thinking I had given him all the scrolls but i just found another one yetsterday... and the last question 3) Since I have already secured the "best" ending what happens if I kill Y
uria
to get her sword? Will it mess up the ending?

Milijango

1) Should I give R
osaria's soul back to her
after killing R
ing Finger Leonhart
I feel really bad about not doing that yet. 2) Is there another sorcery NPC towards the end of the game? I killed O
rbeck
thinking I had given him all the scrolls but i just found another one yetsterday... and the last question 3) Since I have already secured the "best" ending what happens if I kill Y
uria
to get her sword? Will it mess up the ending?

1) You can trade with Ludleth for a miracle.
2) No.
3) Do it after getting the ending just to be safe. The game will ask you if you want to go to NG+ after the credits.

StMeph

Also, it turns out player character poise exists - it's just disabled in the game files w/o a hex editor.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that they're clearly aware of it since it's passed through 5 updates, since it's possible they weren't aware of it at all. Seems strange to eliminate Poise as a thing in the game without any kind of fanfare, either.

Took me multiple tried but eventually you realize a solid strategy in the first part is to
dodge around until the third one appears and starts fighting the other two. At that point I always tried to help him out so I could have him survive and distract the main boss while I attack him

Second round it's just a case of dodging around until specific attacks with long recoveries

Dmax3901

First go against DA I got him to down to probably 1/20 of his HP then rolled off the fucking bridge. Tried three more times after that and didn't even get close to killing him. This game sometimes man.

Sephzilla

Just wait until
the two other corpses get up and then kill the one corpse that's friendly towards the actual boss, and then let the hostile one attack the boss for a bit. The boss always prioritizes the hostile NPC over you, it appears. It's free damage and if you're lucky it'll take you to the 2nd phase of the fight without having to do much actual work. The second phase of the fight is pretty much classic stamina management and learning the boss's patterns

Braag

I'm terribly confused by all these side quests, how they overlap with each other and how they affect the ending...

N° 2048

Man had to co-op for the
Tree
guy. Other guy did like 3/4 damage so I used the curl into ball gesture to show him I an forever in his debt.

I'm terribly confused by all these side quests, how they overlap with each other and how they affect the ending...

Me too, I actually googled all endings but Dark Souls 3 story doesn't interest me at all. I play just for the gameplay and just Role Play my own story.

I chose to become Hollow so apparently I chose the most complicated ending too..I have no idea what Hollow really is. I just got some free levels from it lol

LiK

When I was doing it for Sunbro medals, I didn't really care if they participated or not. Most of the time we lost was due to the host dying to the boss and I end up losing a whole session. The worst was when we almost killed the boss and the host decides they wanna do the finishing blow and end up dying when the boss has a sliver of life left. That was a waste of time.

I beat them yesterday with the Drang Hammers. I think I had to try 6 times total usually getting RIGHT there on phase 2 every time. I started waiting out Phase 1 the last few tries essentially. I'd wait for the third guy to pop up, the in-fighting to start and I'd lay into them with the two-handed Drang Hammers sword art which fucking wrecks everything.

Great fight and my absolutely favorite boss theme so far, beautiful music.

I've also had hosts hide after summoning me through Way of Blue instead of help me repel the invader. Super irritating.
I can understand if the host can't find you guys but hiding can be irritating. Atleast help out. Btw jelly you are bein summon as a way of blue :(

When I was doing it for Sunbro medals, I didn't really care if they participated or not. Most of the time we lost was due to the host dying to the boss and I end up losing a whole session. The worst was when we almost killed the boss and the host decides they wanna do the finishing blow and end up dying when the boss has a sliver of life left. That was a waste of time.
Yeah was doing some sunbro for the medals. The host did die on me a few times as well. Could be a lot faster if the host helped out but meh just some of my pet peeves :p

Is it normal for Regulation 1.04 to online be available if you're actively Online?

I'm playing my first playthrough Offline and Regulation 1.04 was never applied. Anyway, I signed in on the title screen and it said Regulation 1.04 was now applied...cool. I restart the game to start my Offline game and it defaulted back to 1.03 and it has happened every time since.

Question is, what the hell? Is that normal?

LiK

I can understand if the host can't find you guys but hiding can be irritating. Atleast help out. Btw jelly you are bein summon as a way of blue :(

Yeah was doing some sunbro for the medals. The host did die on me a few times as well. Could be a lot faster if the host helped out but meh just some of my pet peeves :p

I dunno, when they summon 2-3 phantoms at once, I'd prefer they stay away from the boss just so I don't need to worry about them dying on me lol

The Lamp

I kinda want to kill
Patches.
I'm sick of his shit.

Also, all this talk about the
Abyss Watchers
when the
Pontiff
is the real menace. Holy shit.

He can be cheesed SO easily with pyromancy. Great Chaos Fire Orb started and ended the fight for me in less than 60 seconds.

MicSte79

Neo Member
Man, I was just co-opping and the other player was casting this amazing spell (or pyromancy). It basically staggered the boss
(Yhorm The Giant)
and killed him in like 4 hits.

What is this spell? Is it a spell or pyromancy?

Doop

Man, I was just co-opping and the other player was casting this amazing spell (or pyromancy). It basically staggered the boss
(Yhorm The Giant)

Are you talking about
the huge blast of wind? That's how you're supposed to kill the boss, it's a weapon you find inside the boss room.

ISee

(Yhorm The Giant)

Special ability of the weapon you find near the boss...

ys45

What I do is I use both block and roll, I will block first attack if I see too much stamina being removed then I roll for the next attack to avoid being staggered .
You have to adapt in DS3 compared to the other souls game where you could always just block most of the time, and yes also upgrading your shield might be a good idea .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom