• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm mainly using an Flamberge, I guess I should really increase my Luck stat, since it has bleed to it.

I wonder, does increase Luck stat via the Gold ring also increase the Bleed rate? Or does that ring only affect item discovery?

The gold ring give item discovery not luck.

Amirnol

I've had the Farron Watchdogs covenant on almost the entire game since getting it and I've been summoned to fight one time... What's going on? My friend who also plays gets summoned for it constantly.

dabeasty

You can. You have to go the chapel bonfire, there should be a elevator right by it that you can take up. Kill that one guy and walk around the building edge and you will find a ladder. Climb it and you will be able to drop down on the roof. From there you can enter the balcony beams in the cathedral. But meet Patches first. He should be in the Cathedral near the "front door".

Well if you find Horace and tell Anri where Horace is at, Anri will try to find him and die.

Might as well do the
Cathedral of the Deep since you have to do that anyways. After you kill the boss in that area, return to Farron Keep.
ok thanks for the reply

I've had the Farron Watchdogs covenant on almost the entire game since getting it and I've been summoned to fight one time... What's going on? My friend who also plays gets summoned for it constantly.

Invasion covenants are generally broken at the moment (aside from Aldrich Faithful). Can farm grass fairly easy from Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
In case anyone is interested, there is an upcoming patch that mentions performance fine tuning and bug fixes:
http://www.darksouls.jp/information_more.html

Translation from reddit:

App Ver 1.04
Regulation Ver 1.05

• Fixed a bug where you might not get items properly while accessing a covenant when a player joins your game.
  • Some NPCs questline events have been made easier to trigger.
  • Made the requirement for joining the Rosaria's Fingers less strict.
  • Fixed a bug when teleporting to Untended Graves.
  • Amended an issue where kicks were being parried.
  • Fixed a bug where Crystal Sage would not re-appear after warping in.
    [*]Fixed a bug where Dragonslayer Armour would die on its own before you fight.
  • Fixed a bug where Knight Slayer Tsorig would continue to gesture.
  • Fixed a bug where Siegward would fail to save Greirat even though the conditions have been met.
  • Fixed a bug where, when wearing a ring that increases Max HP, the change would not be reflected in some menus.
  • Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would show (or not show) according to the settings.
  • Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would continue to display when HUD display is set to AUTO.
  • (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where you can't access the functions Quit Game, access bonfire, or use online play items when failing to connect to an online session.
  • (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where the game would crash to the title screen when you fail to connect to an online session.
  • Fine tuned various other things, fine tune performance, and corrected various bugs.
Patch release time still to be determined.

Hopefully it includes a fix for the auto-save stutter.

I coulda used that bug

LiK

x10000000 than DS2.

Better animations, combat, bosses, lore, all of the things from the better SoulsBorne games.

This is the real DS2.

While it's more directly connected to DkS1, they also brought back most or all the lore that was in DkS2. Guess Miyazaki didn't wanna completely ignore it or diss the DkS2 staff.

Kinda curious if you guys like that O
rstein in Ruined Cathedral
is canon in DkS3 from his
armor description.

ApharmdX

Banned
I think you can make any boss bleed if you hit them enough. Warden's twinblades with Carthus Rouge applied to them procs bleed like crazy, it's so satisfying. Might be my favorite build for bosses.

That's the combo I use, yeah. 40LCK/40DEX. I'm not sure if there's a hard cap on bleed rate increase at 40LCK or not? There's no scaling for Hollow infusion beyond 40 LCK anyway.

I'm not so sure all bosses can bleed. I know some can, like
Champion Gundyr, Oceiros, Dancer
, but others seem immune totally
Dragonslayer Armor.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
These connection problems on pc man... Tried 5 boss fights, all fights with skating players/bosses not animating and lifebars staying at maximum. Getting so annoying

Gestahl

While it's more directly connected to DkS1, they also brought back most or all the lore that was in DkS2. Guess Miyazaki didn't wanna completely ignore it or diss the DkS2 staff.

Kinda curious if you guys like that O
rstein in Ruined Cathedral
is canon in DkS3 from his
armor description.

Lol if you think that pissant blue sentinel chapel is what the game's referring to when it says
THE Ruined Cathedral

Ferr986

What? no, they ignore the fuck out of DS2. And it's silly.
I actually think it was a terrible idea and the world of Dark Souls now feels disjointed to me.

Sigh, is there any way to get summoned as blue sentinel in this game when you're above level 40(Im 49). I've been running around with this thing for hours in the Ithyl dungeon and some further areas and I never get summoned.

EDIT; Great and I just noticed that I cant even get to the mound makers covenant because it locks you out early in the game. Come on From!

LiK

What? no, they ignore the fuck out of DS2. And it's silly.
I actually think it was a terrible idea and the world of Dark Souls now feels disjointed to me.

They do mention gods like Caitha which were in DkS2 first. Hardly ignored.

Why are you guys acting like DkS2 lore isn't mentioned?

kagamin

Sigh, is there any way to get summoned as blue sentinel in this game when you're above level 40(Im 49). I've been running around with this thing for hours in the Ithyl dungeon and some further areas and I never get summoned.

This is why I'm sad they nerfed BlueBros to hell... getting rid of sin wasn't the best option imo.

Sephzilla

I think it's hard to argue that they completely ignore Dark Souls 2 when the Blue Sentinels and Way of the Blue exist in Dark Souls 3. Plus there's a Giant Tree right outside Firelink Shrine, among other things.

No shit, the poise doesn't work in this game. WTF

I just put on the full Lothric Knight set to let myself get hit by the weak mobs in the tutorial area and get staggered by each hit.
Holy crap FromSoft...

Skii

You can. You have to go the chapel bonfire, there should be a elevator right by it that you can take up. Kill that one guy and walk around the building edge and you will find a ladder. Climb it and you will be able to drop down on the roof. From there you can enter the balcony beams in the cathedral. But meet Patches first. He should be in the Cathedral near the "front door".

Well if you find Horace and tell Anri where Horace is at, Anri will try to find him and die.
Ah okay thanks. I found the covenant up there and I did open a big door on the other side but assumed it was just a useless shortcut. I'll check again!

Glad I didn't find Horace then. She needs to fight her own battles.
Is this better than Dark Souls 2?

I'm not even half way through this game but I can tell you right now it is far better than DS2 ever was. It just feels like a Souls game. It feels detailed, responsive and just meticulously designed.

kagamin

I just put on the full Lothric Knight Armor to let myself get hit by the weak goons in the tutorial area and got staggered by each hit.
Holy crap FromSoft...

Poise is really useful, if you're using the Caestus weapon ability...

zewone

I think it's hard to argue that they completely ignore Dark Souls 2 when the Blue Sentinels and Way of the Blue exist in Dark Souls 3. Plus there's a Giant Tree right outside Firelink Shrine.

There's also this guy who is basically straight out of DS2.

tLnHusZ.png

While DS3 heavily favors DS1's lore and nostalgia, DS2 isn't completely forgotten.

Is this better than Dark Souls 2?

Definitely. Better level design, better variety of enemies, and just a better made game in general.

I just put on the full Lothric Knight set to let myself get hit by the weak goons in the tutorial area and got staggered by each hit.
Holy crap FromSoft...
They tied poise to attacks you make now, apparently.

Straight swords feel like they make other weapons obsolete. Two-handed straight sword tears through stamina, stance R1 instantly takes away shield and gives an easy riposte, great damage against bosses one-handed or two-handed, fast, good range. I could barely do anything against enemies with shields using Twinblades, and while the Drang Hammers were fun and did good stunlock, they're still nowhere near as efficient at breaking shields or against bosses as my Broadsword.

Yogg

A question that's probably been asked before: do the spells/rings trophies require everything to be gathered on a single character, or can it be split accross multiple playthroughs ? I'm more than fine with farming all the rings on my main character, but I'd rather be lower SL for the covenant stuff.

Ferr986

They do mention gods like Caitha which were in DkS2 first. Hardly ignored.

They just drops some names here and there, but the lore isn't directly connected with DS2, while they desperately connect every little shit to DS1. Like,
DS2 supposedly showed us that gods were long forgotten but suddenly Gwyndolin is alive and good (well, before being Aldrich's breakfast).

Kingdoms fell and rise but here we are with Astora and Catarina soldiers. Yet 0 about DS2. They didn't even have the decency to name Drangleic, but Drang.

Vendrick and Aldia aren't even named eventhough they were key characters. Hell, where in the fuck is Aldia? a friggin living flame that escaped from the cycle and there's 0 about him?

Even the curse of the undead is totally ignored in DS3. You can make the firekeeper heal the dark sign but you never get how. This is huge, but also ignored.

Yet we have Andre, Firelink Shrine, Artorias fanboys, Gwyndolin, Lost Izalith round two, Anor Lando, Astora and Catarina NPCs, Gwyn fight, Nameless King aka Gwyn firstborn....

what do we have about DS2? Invaders, corpses, a tree , 2 covenants and some items. But actual lore ties with DS2 lore? 0

To be fair, I think DS3 lore completely sucks. It's just fanservice without actual meat. But the gameplay is so good that I just forget about it.

Minamu

Any pvp tips? I've been trying to summon opponents after Solyvahn or whatever but I get wrecked :/ sl 102 I think, +10 weapon. Are there other popular pvp zones? I thought you could get covenant rank items from wins too, but I got nothing.

Ferrio

Banned
Any pvp tips? I've been trying to summon opponents after Solyvahn or whatever but I get wrecked :/ sl 102 I think, +10 weapon. Are there other popular pvp zones? I thought you could get covenant rank items from wins too, but I got nothing.

Outside of Pontiff boss area seems to be the default pvp area. You can get some items but you have to be the invader I believe.

Hey guys, how do you summon more than 2 dark spirits for fight clubs? I used a dried finger but the signs disappear after 2 summons, which kind of sucks because then whoever wins between those 2 has to wait until you summon another. I don't like making people wait.

I know I've been summoned into games with more than just 2 dark spirits. In fact, I'm in one right now... What am I missing here?

MUnited83

For you.
They just drops some names here and there, but the lore isn't directly connected with DS2, while they desperately connect every little shit to DS1. Like,
DS2 supposedly showed us that gods were long forgotten but suddenly Gwyndolin is alive and good (well, before being Aldrich's breakfast).

Kingdoms fell and rise but here we are with Astora and Catarina soldiers. Yet 0 about DS2. They didn't even have the decency to name Drangleic, but Drang.

Vendrick and Aldia aren't even named eventhough they were key characters. Hell, where in the fuck is Aldia? a friggin living flame that escaped from the cycle and there's 0 about him?

Even the curse of the undead is totally ignored in DS3. You can make the firekeeper heal the dark sign but you never get how. This is huge, but also ignored.

Yet we have Andre, Firelink Shrine, Artorias fanboys, Gwyndolin, Lost Izalith round two, Anor Lando, Astora and Catarina NPCs, Gwyn comeback, Nameless King aka Gwyn firstborn....

what do we have about DS2? Invaders, corpses, a tree , 2 covenants and some items. But actual lore ties with DS2 lore? 0

To be fair, I think DS3 lore completely sucks. It's just fanservice without actual meat. But the gameplay is so good that I just forget about it.
This is a good summary why I think DS3's lore is so shitty and easily the worst in the series.

Hey guys, how do you summon more than 2 dark spirits for fight clubs? I used a dried finger but the signs disappear after 2 summons, which kind of sucks because then whoever wins between those 2 has to wait until you summon another. I don't like making people wait.

I know I've been summoned into games with more than just 2 dark spirits. In fact, I'm in one right now... What am I missing here?

You can only summon two hostile phantoms via red soapstone. The rest have to be invaders.

In regards to lore. There's also references to Vinheim and Big Hat Logan. Dark Souls 2 makes it seem like these kingdoms are long gone or at least far away. Dark Souls 3 brings them all back and seems to indicate that Drangleic isn't all that separate from Lordran or Lothric.

Trojan

Fuck that
Pontiff boss, definitely the toughest boss for me in this game so far. Abyss Watchers I beat my second time but must have had to try 10 times to beat the Pontiff. Feels great not to have summoned so far in the game though!

Citadel

Just finished the game with my first character - I'm not 100% sure if I did everything, but I did go through as much of the game as I could. Took me about 30 hours, and got to level 97. I completed
Anri's
questline, so I got the ending that was linked to that.. which is surprising, because I had
told her about Horace
and thought I had messed up another way, but apparently it all went smoothly.

Going to start a brand new DEX dual-wielding character now. Gonna try out
Rosaria's Fingers
covenant. Or are there better invading covenants to try.

LiK

Yet we have Andre, Firelink Shrine, Artorias fanboys, Gwyndolin, Lost Izalith round two, Anor Lando, Astora and Catarina NPCs, Gwyn comeback, Nameless King aka Gwyn firstborn....

i wasn't disagreeing with you about any of that. Just wanted to mention that DkS3 didn't completely ignore DkS2. The lore in DkS3 def tells us how important the first game was. And I think DkS2 was just one of those cycles so it wasn't that important overall in 3. I think it still works even if it's just item descriptions.

Good summary, btw. I lived and breathed DkS2 for a month straight so I know all the lore you mentioned. Heh

Fume is still OP in PvP if I'm honest. Each hit staggers, and with a reasonable amount of stamina you have enough for three hits which is usually all it takes. Also that reach. I feel like I can use it just as well as my Lothric Straight Sword.

MrS

Banned
Finally been able to git gud at PVP. Been playing for like 45 minutes and I've already killed 7 fools. Was losing like crazy last night. Feels good SoulsGAF!

Cat Party

Where do I first encounter Patches? I've encountered Seigward in the well, killed the giants, defeated the area boss, raised the bridges, and opened the big doors to the cathedral. What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom