• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarkus

If I were home, I would help. I have literally 30 SK helms atm from farming. Lord knows how much I sold.
I'm trying to fashion up my character. Sdr-uk gave me the black version earlier, but it doesn't look right with my armor.

burgerdog

Going through these games a second time is fucking awesome. Love recognizing every place now and seeing two boss areas as soon as you warp to Lothric and open the door.

Astral

I thought DkS2 made it clear that Drangleic was Lordran several hundred years later. Didn't an NPC imply as much in the Bastion level? Going by that I assumed DkS3 was a direct sequel almost but I realized I was wrong once I saw
the ladder guy's
corpse. Then I was confused.

I'll trade someone Black Knight UGS for a Silver Knight Helm. PS4 SL52. Pls halp

You can have a silver knight helm. I have so many. Meet me at the Undead settlement bonfire. Set the password as ds3gaf and look for my red summon sign. Might take awhile since its on my high level character.

LogicStep

How are you supposed to handle multiple people at once? The times I've tried invading I can't really do much when there's 3 people running at you all attacking at the same time.

Doop

Where do I first encounter Patches? I've encountered Seigward in the well, killed the giants, defeated the area boss, raised the bridges, and opened the big doors to the cathedral. What am I missing?

Have you gone to the left (facing outside) of the big doors on the highest floor? That's where he spawns.

LiK

How are you supposed to handle multiple people at once? The times I've tried invading I can't really do much when there's 3 people running at you all attacking at the same time.

Supposed to use the enemy AI to kinda help out. Altho it's still pretty hard and completely fucked if the host uses a seed to fuck with you.

Tarkus

You can have a silver knight helm. I have so many. Meet me at the Undead settlement bonfire. Set the password as ds3gaf and look for my red summon sign. Might take awhile since its on my high level character.
Got it. Be there in a sec.

Let's duel afterward.

I thought DkS2 made it clear that Drangleic was Lordran several hundred years later. Didn't an NPC imply as much in the Bastion level?

I always felt like Dark Souls 2 explicitly stated that through him, but there was no actual proof of it in the actual world you traveled other than the various items you find and
Ornstein

People acting like Dark Souls 3 lore is bad for connecting to Dark Souls 1 while only slightly mentioning Dark Souls 2? But Dark Souls 2 lore already ignored or made up nonsensical rewrites of Dark Souls 1 lore without providing any further insight or answers beyond cheapening both endings of the first game.

?????

zma1013

Run away and mix in with the regular enemies and use them to help you fight.

Also, tou only need to kill the host to win, so sometimes it's just better to wail on him.

Ferr986

i wasn't disagreeing with you about any of that. Just wanted to mention that DkS3 didn't completely ignore DkS2. The lore in DkS3 def tells us how important the first game was. And I think DkS2 was just one of those cycles so it wasn't that important overall in 3. I think it still works even if it's just item descriptions.

Good summary, btw. I lived and breathed DkS2 for a month straight so I know all the lore you mentioned. Heh

Yes, of course, DS2 is still canon, and DS3 isn't trying to erase it.

It just that DS3 overuse DS1 lore for develop it's own story, yet it doesn't touch DS2 lore to do it so.

Also, SOTFS content was supposed to be key IMO for advancing the story
well, atleast until they decided to completely ignore the curse of the undead, a key element from both DS1 and 2, to a side quest that also has a mechanic that should be BIG lore wise but is totally ignored.

People acting like Dark Souls 3 lore is bad for connecting to Dark Souls 1 while only slightly mentioning Dark Souls 2? But Dark Souls 2 lore already ignored or made up nonsensical rewrites of Dark Souls 1 lore without providing any further insight or answers beyond cheapening both endings of the first game.

?????

I don't think DS3 lore is bad because it uses more DS1 lore than 2. I think it's bad because the lore is an excuse to fanservice DS1 the most they could. Once you take out the fanservice aspects of DS3 lore you end up with a very hollow and underdeveloped lore. Probably waiting for DLC.

And DS2 lore didn't even try to rewrite DS1 lore, funny that you say that when
killing an optional boss in DS1 now its totally not canon

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
If you are Bloody Scissors I just want to say thank you
Summoned in the S
mouldeing
L
ake
with not a fucking clue what I was doing and they took me round the palce, showed me hidden walls and everything
you are good people

BeeDog

Damn, the game was quite manageable, but I'm hitting a roadblock at Irithyll all of a sudden. Those lanky, dancing swordsmen destroy me, and let's not talk about the fire-wielding knights.

I've been progressing through the game very slowly since I don't have a lot of time on my hands, but I seriously feel like clearing my whole schedule just to finish this game. There's never been a dull moment for me so far.

I think I spent the past two in-game hours placing my summon sign down in front of H
igh Lord Wolnir
. Seems a lot of people need help there because once I place down my sign, I immediately get summoned. Really swift and fairly easy boss to get out of the way for people who can't figure it out.

myco666

Yes, of course, DS2 is still canon, and DS3 isn't trying to erase it.

It just that DS3 overuse DS1 lore for develop it's own story, yet it doesn't touch DS2 lore to do it so.

Also, SOTFS content was supposed to be key IMO for advancing the story
well, atleast until they decided to completely ignore the curse of the undead, a key element from both DS1 and 2, to a side quest that also has a mechanic that should be BIG lore wise but is totally ignored.

I don't think DS3 lore is bad because it uses more DS1 lore than 2. I think it's bad because the lore is an excuse to fanservice DS1 the most they could. Once you take out the fanservice aspects of DS3 lore you end up with a very hollow and underdeveloped lore. Probably waiting for DLC.

Wouldn't the lack of DS2 (especially SOTFS) references be caused by the fact that DS3 began development year before DS2 was released and two years before SOTFS was released? Like I am not that surprised there isn't match about that game considering the time between these games.

How do you know that? Dark Souls 3 is an actual sequel to Dark Souls, rather than a game that happens to take place in the same universe while constantly teasing connections that don't entirely make sense. If Dark Souls 2 didn't exist, then everyone would accept these as simple connections between a sequel and the game that came before. But because Dark Souls 2 exists, you can write it off as fanservice?

Dark Souls 2 changed how Undead worked, making them inexplicably drawn to Drangleic and losing their memories. 1. Undead came to Lordran because
Fraampt and Gwyndolin manipulated them into doing so,
not because of some compulsion. 2. Losing their memories. Completely made up and had no bearing on anything.

Also destroyed the Lordvessel for no reason other than MYSTERY. Dark Souls 2 acts as though the progenitors of the entire Dark Souls universe were just there, that they merely happened to be the first and the same thing has happened dozens of times, and that the entire world is continuously rewriting itself, rather than being centered around Lordran and the Undead "curse."

I thought DkS2 made it clear that Drangleic was Lordran several hundred years later. Didn't an NPC imply as much in the Bastion level? Going by that I assumed DkS3 was a direct sequel almost but I realized I was wrong once I saw
the ladder guy's
corpse. Then I was confused.

There's some debate mostly because of Vendrick going across the sea to steal something from the Giants. Some people believe that the Vendrick stole the lord vessel. There's also the fact that Drangleic is vaguely referenced in DkS3 while older kingdoms are directly referenced. The dragonslayer also makes stuff tricky just how old is Ornstein? How does get around so easily if Drangleic is a distant kingdom?

The player character doesn't randomly stumble across Drangleic an old woman possibly a fire keeper sends them there.

Hupsel

Anyone that watched game of thrones yesterday immediately (GoT spoiler)
got reminded of 2x1 invasions when Trystane is cowardly killed by the spear through his skull?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Interesting that they 'fix' the NPC quests, especially Siegward and Greirat....after I've already gone past it -_-.

Well, at least there's next playthrough.

Wondering too how they made Rosaria's covenant easier, also.

?????

Not to trivialize lore stuff, but Solaire's line in DS1:

The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.
There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact.

as well as Ludleth's dialogue:

"The eyes show a world destitute of fire, a barren plane of endless darkness. A place born of betrayal. So I will'd myself Lord, to link the fire, to paint a new vision. What is thine intent?"

Show that not only is there a good chance that there are multiple "lands" where this has happened, or one land in various states of time, but that there's different ways each land or time went about the events in the souls series.

Callbacks could be argued to be time / land shenanigans almost as much as fanservice. What's not to say Drang is what this land called the same place, or a similar place to DSII's Dranglaeic?

zewone

Damn, the game was quite manageable, but I'm hitting a roadblock at Irithyll all of a sudden. Those lanky, dancing swordsmen destroy me, and let's not talk about the fire-wielding knights.

That's probably the toughest area in the whole game, even more so than late game areas.

Don't feel bad.

JudgeN

Yea it works but the amount of prep and items you need to get that damage is stupid compared to melee. A melee will do 1000 dmg after 4 swing with 40 str or dex and upgraded weapon. A mage will need all 3 sorcery rings + red tear stone ring + 50int + upgraded weapon + L2 buff to get the same damage. The amount of investment mages need to do good damage is crazy and that only applies to sorcery and pyro. From what I understand lightning bro miracles do shit damage regardless of what you have equipped.

thefil

How do you know that? Dark Souls 3 is an actual sequel to Dark Souls, rather than a game that happens to take place in the same universe while constantly teasing connections that don't entirely make sense. If Dark Souls 2 didn't exist, then everyone would accept these as simple connections between a sequel and the game that came before. But because Dark Souls 2 exists, you can write it off as fanservice?

Dark Souls 2 changed how Undead worked, making them inexplicably drawn to Drangleic and losing their memories. 1. Undead came to Lordran because
not because of some compulsion. 2. Losing their memories. Completely made up and had no bearing on anything.

Also destroyed the Lordvessel for no reason other than MYSTERY

For a series that is largely defined by oblique references and hard-to-reconstruct lore, I prefer a sequel narrative that defines its own mythology and asks the player to think about what has come since the original. DS3 being such a direct sequel is worse IMO - we don't need to articulate more about the specific mythology that was already such a wonderful mix of known and unknown in DS1.

Dark Souls 2 acts as though the progenitors of the entire Dark Souls universe were just there, that they merely happened to be the first and the same thing has happened dozens of times, and that the entire world is continuously rewriting itself, rather than being centered around Lordran and the Undead "curse."

Yes, and that made sense as a sequel to DS1? Gwyn introduced order into an entropic world when he linked the first flame, and as a result there's a long battle to keep it going that is ultimately doomed to fail.

Maybe if DS2 didn't exist, DS3 wouldn't feel so creatively bankrupt. But DS3 came out in a post-DS2 world!

Not to trivialize lore stuff, but Solaire's line in DS1:

as well as Ludleth's dialogue:

Show that not only is there a good chance that there are multiple "lands" where this has happened, or one land in various states of time, but that there's different ways each land or time went about the events in the souls series.

Callbacks could be argued to be time / land shenanigans almost as much as fanservice. What's not to say Drang is what this land called the same place, or a similar place to DSII's Dranglaeic?

Relying on the time and space is convoluted dialogue from Solaire has always seemed like a crutch to me. It seems like that line is there mostly to hand wave the series' multiplayer mechanics and nothing else.

Vic_Viper

I've been stuck in the Irithyll Dungeon for awhile, this place is seriously pissing me off. Does anyone have any tips that will make this area alil easier to deal with? Does your level affect who can be summoned because I rarely see people to summon but I'm constantly getting invaded.

Sephzilla

Relying on the time and space is convoluted dialogue from Solaire has always seemed like a crutch to me. It seems like that line is there mostly to hand wave the series' multiplayer mechanics and nothing else.

The reason it seems that way is because that's purely what that line is there for.

Just finally beat the game. I can't really tell if this game was easier than Dark Souls or if its just that we're all better at souls games now. Nevertheless I had a blast, did pretty good on the bosses too. I beat Vordt, Deacons, Wolnir, Old Demon King, and Aldrich all on my first attempts. The only bosses that really gave me trouble were Abyss Watchers, Dancer, and Nameless King.

LiK

I've been stuck in the Irithyll Dungeon for awhile, this place is seriously pissing me off. Does anyone have any tips that will make this area alil easier to deal with? Does your level affect who can be summoned because I rarely see people to summon but I'm constantly getting invaded.

It's not a big area. I recommend offline and just getting to next bonfire which is pretty far away.

j-wood

I can't consistently backstab for the life of me. What am I doing wrong?

I've gotten really close, press R1. Normal attack

I walk slowly (never stopping), and press R1. Normal attack, sometimes backstab.

If i get any closer, enemy turns around. I don't have my shield up. I don't understand.

taybul

I can't consistently backstab for the life of me. What am I doing wrong?

I've gotten really close, press R1. Normal attack

I walk slowly (never stopping), and press R1. Normal attack, sometimes backstab.

If i get any closer, enemy turns around. I don't have my shield up. I don't understand.

In this game it's harder to backstab enemies that are idly facing away from you for some reason. The knights that are kneeling down are easier to backstab: I wait for their shield to appear and then hit R1. For everyone else I stopped bothering, just going with the charged R2 attack. It's like you can't backstab until they're in combat.

Yes, and that made sense as a sequel to DS1? Gwyn introduced order into an entropic world when he linked the first flame, and as a result there's a long battle to keep it going that is ultimately doomed to fail.

Maybe if DS2 didn't exist, DS3 wouldn't feel so creatively bankrupt. But DS3 came out in a post-DS2 world!
It seems Miyazaki finds DS2 lacking, and chooses to largely ignore it. I agree with him.

Chiggs

Gold Member
That's probably the toughest area in the whole game, even more so than late game areas.

Don't feel bad.

Gotta up that Strength and Dexterity. Watching them drop after 1-2 hits is pretty rewarding--same for those fire guys who have more bark than bite when things get up close and personal.

Ferr986

Wouldn't the lack of DS2 (especially SOTFS) references be caused by the fact that DS3 began development year before DS2 was released and two years before SOTFS was released? Like I am not that surprised there isn't match about that game considering the time between these games.

I mean, is a possibility, but I understand that both teams speak between them when they are planning these games. But maybe not!

Also destroyed the Lordvessel for no reason other than MYSTERY. Dark Souls 2 acts as though the progenitors of the entire Dark Souls universe were just there, that they merely happened to be the first and the same thing has happened dozens of times, and that the entire world is continuously rewriting itself, rather than being centered around Lordran and the Undead "curse."

Take into account DS2 is hundreds and hundred later than DS1. Of course this is just opinions, but I liked the idea that every place in DS1 was forgotten in time. It made sense to me, considering each time the flames weaks shit goes down. Not counting wars and such.

As you said, Undeads went to Lordran because that was what the "legend" said (mind you, we don't have any info that says that all undeads went there). So if Lordran falls and it's forgotten it makes sense that Undeads don't necesary go there.

Also losing memory = hollowing. I know DS1 didn't said that, but it also makes sense , if you ask me. DS2 tried to expand the curse of the dead. What did DS3 did with that?
just forget about it

Mind you, I'm not saying DS2 lore was perfect, it had a lot of problems.

The soulvessel stuff wasn't very well done. But, like the soulvessel stuff was just done just because mistery, a lot of stuff is also done the same way in DS3 (already named them in my older post)..

For a series that is largely defined by oblique references and hard-to-reconstruct lore, I prefer a sequel narrative that defines its own mythology and asks the player to think about what has come since the original. DS3 being such a direct sequel is worse IMO - we don't need to articulate more about the specific mythology that was already such a wonderful mix of known and unknown in DS1.

Basically, yeah.

SkylineRKR

I love that area. I noped a few times and wanted to bone out but didn't. It reminded me of Demon's so much. Excellent stuff.

Lack of bonfires but smart hidden shortcuts define DS for me. This area, and the cathedral as well as some others have it.

MilkBeard

In case anyone is interested, there is an upcoming patch that mentions performance fine tuning and bug fixes:
http://www.darksouls.jp/information_more.html

Translation from reddit:

App Ver 1.04
Regulation Ver 1.05

• Fixed a bug where you might not get items properly while accessing a covenant when a player joins your game.
  • Some NPCs questline events have been made easier to trigger.
  • Made the requirement for joining the Rosaria's Fingers less strict.
  • Fixed a bug when teleporting to Untended Graves.
  • Amended an issue where kicks were being parried.
  • Fixed a bug where Crystal Sage would not re-appear after warping in.
  • Fixed a bug where Dragonslayer Armour would die on its own before you fight.
  • Fixed a bug where Knight Slayer Tsorig would continue to gesture.
  • Fixed a bug where Siegward would fail to save Greirat even though the conditions have been met.
  • Fixed a bug where, when wearing a ring that increases Max HP, the change would not be reflected in some menus.
  • Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would show (or not show) according to the settings.
  • Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would continue to display when HUD display is set to AUTO.
  • (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where you can't access the functions Quit Game, access bonfire, or use online play items when failing to connect to an online session.
  • (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where the game would crash to the title screen when you fail to connect to an online session.
  • Fine tuned various other things, fine tune performance, and corrected various bugs.
Patch release time still to be determined.

Hopefully it includes a fix for the auto-save stutter.

Good stuff. They are making it easier to trigger NPC questlines, for all the people having trouble with that.

Also it seems like the connection crashes were mostly Xbox One, but I did get a few on PS4, hopefully that won't happen after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom