• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I have gotten thru the
dungeon
already, but feel like I missed a lot of items. There was a
few cells/doors I couldn't unlock
. Didn't go anywhere near
the giant
either as I was low on Estus

Don't worry, the
dungeon and capital
are basically just one area. I thought I was missing a bunch of stuff too, but you'll get there.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
YES! After way too long, I finally beat that jerk Pontiff Sulyvahn!
One thing I've noticed so far is that while the boss battles are interesting, they seem to resort to throwing clones at you a bunch.

MilkBeard

Alright, started New Game Plus and I just killed the Curse-Rotted Greatwood. I'm going to try to solo everything here (summoned for a few bosses in New Game).

God dammit, this game!

If anyone's struggling with STR builds, or just isn't satisfied with the ultra-greatswords and/or great axes: I made the switch to a DEX build with a Uchigatana and it's amazing. Although I loved playing with the Greataxe (Heavy), it never felt as good as in previous games. You feel way too vulnarable.

Is there anything better than Uchigatana +10 (Sharp) for DEX builds?
I have played around with a few Dex weapons. You will want to carry around something longer for PvP, because sadly the uchi is just too short and will get outmatched by phantom range. The Washing Pole will solve this problem.

Also look out for the Great Scythe, it's pretty good weapon and can outrange a lot of other weapons if used correctly.

Look for the Black Blade (not to be confused with Dark Sword. This one is a katana). It's stats outclass the Uchi, although it's a bit shorter. Looks cool, though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I'm feeling my DEX build so far at level ~70 is super subpar. I'm using Sharp Uchigatana +8 and buffing it using Carthus Flame with a +7 pyro glove. Maximizing stats with the ring that boosts dex, chloranty, the one that raises max hp, and I think Havel's for equip load.

The ting is, the Uchi feels too slow and predictable for PVP, and I don't feel like I'm doing THAT much damage at 30 dex.

Any input on this? People with the Farron GS are basically pounding me in PVP :/

I had previously really liked the moveset of the Hollowslayer GS as it reminded me of Vestaldt's sword in DkS2, my favorite weapon. Anyone sing this successfully into later game and in PVP?
You must be doing something wrong because katanas are a beast in PvP.

Are you using the running r1? Because.... that thing is ridiculous. Since Demon's Souls it's been ridiculously good. Incredibly fast and tons of phantom range. The only downside vs Demon's Souls is that the attack power is slightly weaker than a normal r1 for some reason (in DeS running attacks were typically slightly stronger) and if you are too predictable you can get parried, but that's easy enough to avoid if you mix things up a bit.

Can anybody tell me why
High Lord Wolnir
just straight up died with 25% health left?
Bracelets
. Gimmick boss.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
YES! After way too long, I finally beat that jerk Pontiff Sulyvahn!
One thing I've noticed so far is that while the boss battles are interesting, they seem to resort to throwing clones at you a bunch.

I beat him on my 2nd try but it took me 30-40 tries to beat the Abyss Watchers, which is pretty strange. The only other game in the series I have played was BB, and so far the bosses in DS3 are not as good IMO.

Also it may just be me, but I don't get any cutscenes before bosses anymore (IIRC the abyss watchers was the last time it happened). Everytime I approach for the first time the fog door is already there, is this a glitch?

Don't worry, the
dungeon and capital
are basically just one area. I thought I was missing a bunch of stuff too, but you'll get there.

Thanks.

Just arrived at (secret area spoiler) A
rchdragon Peak

My thoughts so far after finding the first bonfire
for a game that supposedly ignores Dark Souls 2, this area looks suspiciously close to Dragon Aerie at least from the outside.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also it may just be me, but I don't get any cutscenes before bosses anymore (IIRC the abyss watchers was the last time it happened). Everytime I approach for the first time the fog door is already there, is this a glitch?
Not a glitch. Not every boss has a cut scene. Crystal Sage doesn't have one, for example. Actually neither does the Cursewood Tree.

They didn't have fogs, though, I don't know why the earlier bosses don't have fog gates and the later ones do. I did notice that and found it weird.

MilkBeard

You must be doing something wrong because katanas are a beast in PvP.

Are you using the running r1? Because.... that thing is ridiculous. Since Demon's Souls it's been ridiculously good. Incredibly fast and tons of phantom range. The only downside vs Demon's Souls is that the attack power is slightly weaker than a normal r1 for some reason (in DeS running attacks were typically slightly stronger) and if you are too predictable you can get parried, but that's easy enough to avoid if you mix things up a bit.

Bracelets
. Gimmick boss.
Nah, people stop using katanas in PvP because phantom range makes it hard to land a hit. The running r1 is good though.

Uchi is pretty bad outside of PvP (and even then there are better options). Everybody said it was great but Straight Swords are much better for players going through PvE and just want a really good weapon to use.

Once you get the washing pole though, its has the same moveset as the Uchigatana, but it is much larger and you can more easily work around its speed because of that, and it is great for PvP as well due to its range.

Finally bought this and I'm playing it in a very Bloodborne way: dodge and hit with the double sword. I still suck with the shield so I hope I won't face some big problems for playing the game like this, what do you say Gaf?

Doop

Finally bought this and I'm playing it in a very Bloodborne way: dodge and hit with the double sword. I still suck with the shield so I hope I won't face some big problems for playing the game like this, what do you say Gaf?

I've played without a shield most of the time since before bloodborne released. You'll be fine.

finalflame

Playing without a shield definitely raises the difficulty of the game a significant amount, but you will not face big problems if you just git gud :)

Unlike Bloodborne, there is no health restoration mechanic, so taking risks is ill advised. You will have very little room for risk taking without a shield; definitely learn to impeccably roll dodge and know your i-frames.

Danny 117

Thank god they are patching the Xbox One version because I've been having far too many issues the past few days. Completely unacceptable and frustrating. They should be able to push this update ahead of everything else, it's that bad.

co1onel

this game encourages you to drop the shield more than any other dark souls game. Bosses and enemies have long and fast combos that are sure to break your shield if you hide behind it. I used the the shield a ton in the previous games but found myself going two handed for nearly every boss this time. Definitely easier to stick with rolls.

zewone

I'm not getting the quest to get the Morion Blade. Anyone have one that they don't want that I can have?

I didn't even know this sword was in the game. Now I have to do the Yuria quest line again after spending 1 million souls to cure my Hollow.

zewone

I stopped using the shield in Dark Souls 2.

None of these games require you to use a shield at all.

Artdayne

Alright, started New Game Plus and I just killed the Curse-Rotted Greatwood. I'm going to try to solo everything here (summoned for a few bosses in New Game).

God dammit, this game!

If anyone's struggling with STR builds, or just isn't satisfied with the ultra-greatswords and/or great axes: I made the switch to a DEX build with a Uchigatana and it's amazing. Although I loved playing with the Greataxe (Heavy), it never felt as good as in previous games. You feel way too vulnarable.

Is there anything better than Uchigatana +10 (Sharp) for DEX builds?

The Gotthard Twin Swords with a sharp gem will crap on the Uchigatana.

Syder

So I have gotten to the start of both
Anor Londo
and the
Profaned Capitol
but haven't advanced either. Is there a recommended path? Not sure which to do.

They're both pretty small areas, but I found
Profaned Capital (and Irithyll Dungeon, that whole segment)
really, really easy.
Anor Londo
's boss was way harder for me too. I'd suggest
the Capital
I found
AL
without knowing about
PC
and I was really surprised by the difficulty spike with the boss.

Artdayne

Were you specifically waiting for a period of time or just messing around and it popped?

Been through the game thrice now and no summon!

Really? I've got Darkmoon Blade on my second character which of course requires 30 Proof of a Concord Kept. I would just go to an area where I expected late game characters to be like the Grand Archives, Archdragon Peak, I'm not really sure if its completely global or not but I seemed to get a lot more summons in those places rather than when I was trying to farm for Concord Kept in Anor Londo where I rarely got a summon.

This game really does require you to be patient at all times. After killing the damn D
ragonslaye
r A
rmor
, got to the
Grand Archives
, unlocked shortcuts, got killed.

Tired, I hurried to where I died to recover my 100k souls to wrap up the night and go to sleep when I plunged right down the elevator shaft when cutting a corner, thinking it was a stair.

Not even mad, just numb, so numb man.

Genryu

Banned
Has anyone had a glitch where other players in PVP are stuck in an idle pose? It's kind of hard to fight people like that.

giphy.gif

Are there any good dexterity weapons? Other than probably covenant weapons. Straight swords outdo them badly in PvE, and I know they don't want to give them huge buffs because they're typically some of the stronger PvP weapons, but goddamn they're pathetic in this game.

KHlover

Banned
Has anyone had a glitch where other players in PVP are stuck in an idle pose? It's kind of hard to fight people like that.

giphy.gif

That's super common. Sometimes it also affects bosses. Sucks if you want a good boss fight, but it's easy souls as sunbro.

Makes PVP impossible tho (unlike bosses players without animation can still attack), so I really hope FROM fixes this ASAP.

Khasim

Just killed the
Abyss Watchers
and crafted the Farron Greatsword. I was hesitant of crafting it since I was pretty happy with my Hollowslayer Greatsword, but I wanted to try some good dual weapons (Sellsword Twinblades suck so far compared to pretty much everything else, I guess they get better if you upgrade them past +5/sharp, but don't have mats ATM).

Funny thing is that even though I have 16 STR and it requires 18, apparently dual wielding counts as two-handing, so I get the increased STR benefit.

Anyway, I thought this sword was pretty meh, but then I used the LB attacks.
My GOD this weapon is absolutely awesome. It drains stamina like hell, but damn if it doesn't look cool. I'm definitely gonna roll with the Wolf Knight's Greatsword on my next playthrough, from the special attack description it looks like it will look just as awesome.

On a side note, can anyone explain why do I deal less damage when attacking with both Sellswords Twinblades at once than while attacking with just one? The speed of the dual attack doesn't seem to be worth it, as this attack simply does a little less damage. Baffles me.

MilkBeard

Are there any good dexterity weapons? Other than probably covenant weapons. Straight swords outdo them badly in PvE, and I know they don't want to give them huge buffs because they're typically some of the stronger PvP weapons, but goddamn they're pathetic in this game.

There are some good dex weapons. You just have to know how to use them. I used katanas through 90% of the game. Scythes can outrange almost anything as well.

SkylineRKR

Farron is ridiculous. Some guy kept on spinning and cutting my ankles and I couldn't do shit about it. Wished I had made it instead of the WK.

Farming Pale Tongues right now, must say its not bad in PvE. 6 within 30 minutes at 250 item discovery.

LiK

anyone using Shotels in PVP? kinda wanna use that just to troll people who keep their shields up all the time, heh

anyone using Shotels in PVP? kinda wanna use that just to troll people who keep their shields up all the time, heh

I plan on adding one to my build. I'm not really impressed by the increase in bleed build up based on Luck so I want to have a Bleed infused one for my offhand while I buff my hollowed katana in my main hand with the bleed resin.

There are some good dex weapons. You just have to know how to use them. I used katanas through 90% of the game. Scythes can outrange almost anything as well.

What about the Twinblades and the scimitar? Twinblades are really weak early to mid game and the skills are useless in pve (doesn't stagger, doesn't do more damage than R1, no good options against shields), scimitar's weapon skill doesn't even combo properly. Those are the ones that concern me.

Fully transitioned over to the Wolf Knight Greatsword from the Dark Sword, after using it to take out D
ragonslayer's Armor
. Absolutely love it

Running r1 is great for punishing a missed jump attack in pvp and the weapon art somersault attack is great for finishing off a successful riposte.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've got 4 for the vertebrae shackles. Have had a lot of super chaotic and fun encounters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom