• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the Twinblades and the scimitar? Twinblades are really weak early to mid game and the skills are useless in pve (doesn't stagger, doesn't do more damage than R1), scimitar's weapon skill doesn't even combo properly. Those are the ones that concern me.
If you want Dex weapons that aren't infused straight swords that are still fast then stuff like the Rapier and Estoc are probably your best bet. I don't know if the Scimitar works fine since it is very short ranged and I haven't had a chance to use it most of the game.

MilkBeard

What about the Twinblades and the scimitar? Twinblades are really weak early to mid game and the skills are useless in pve (doesn't stagger, doesn't do more damage than R1), scimitar's weapon skill doesn't even combo properly. Those are the ones that concern me.

I didn't really main those weapons, although I kept a poison twinblade just for the sake of causing poison if it was applicable. Twinblades tend to be a bit weak in the game in general. There's a boss weapon that's really cool but woefully weak.

I kept a fire scimitar in the early game for fire attacks. It doesn't strike me as a great weapon though.

A Rapier will probably be your best friend though. Secretly OP weapon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Funny thing is that even though I have 16 STR and it requires 18, apparently dual wielding counts as two-handing, so I get the increased STR benefit.
LOL what? That's ridiculous. I hope that gets patched. It should be the opposite, requiring 1.5 the strength, like power-stancing in Dark Souls 2.

On a side note, can anyone explain why do I deal less damage when attacking with both Sellswords Twinblades at once than while attacking with just one? The speed of the dual attack doesn't seem to be worth it, as this attack simply does a little less damage. Baffles me.
Wish I knew. I started with the sellsword's dual scimitars and the weapon arts on it is complete trash, does LESS damage than a regular R1 (even the L1 attack which attacks with both blades, doesn't do more damage yet uses more stamina...??? why would I use that!), and is slow and doesn't combo well. Broken, really.

At least the dual kats L1 combo is nice enough, and the L2, while crappy in PvP (too easy to avoid), does decent damage and stagger in PvE.

Curved swords are my favorite, so that's lame. Felt like they got hit in Dark Souls II and now they're even worse.

Wish I knew. I started with the sellsword's dual scimitars and the weapon arts on it is complete trash, does LESS damage than a regular R1 (even the L1 attack which attacks with both blades, doesn't do more damage yet uses more stamina...??? why would I use that!), and is slow and doesn't combo well. Broken, really.

At least the dual kats L1 combo is nice enough, and the L2, while crappy in PvP (too easy to avoid), does decent damage and stagger in PvE.

They're so damn inexplicably and clearly bad that it feels like a number error rather than a deliberate choice.

Welp. Just one shot N
ameless King
and then the
Two Princes
. Time to try to farm out covenent stuff before NG+ I guess...

What is the best place to get the Darkmoon stuff?

Rocketz

Dipped my toes in the PVP waters today. Did 10 matches and went 7-3 with a +10 Greatsword. Caught a bunch of people with it's follow up from the overhead swing.

Only had one instance of a player stuck in a idle state. I lost but there was nothing I could really do against it.

usp84

I finally got all the items needed to max out covenants and get all the rings and spells needed for the platinum.Never again.

Now I just heed to get some NG++ rings and a few gestures

Smouldering Lake
is easily the weakest area I've seen so far, and by a huge margin. I don't know why they felt the need to
re-use elements of Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith; those were the two most disliked areas from DS1.

At least it's optional; I may skip it on NG+.

Okay, that's enough N
ameless
K
ing
for today. I'm making progress, but I'm not sure I've got the right equipment. I tried lightning / dark, but it doesn't seem to do any more damage than what I was using before. Gundyr's Halberd +5 and a Lothric Knight Sword +10 seem to be best.

And would From please patch the fucking camera for this fight? Jesus, it ruins any wow factor the boss may have had when you have to pray you can maneuver the camera in order to see the things you need to dodge.

Smouldering Lake
is easily the weakest area I've seen so far, and by a huge margin. I don't know why they felt the need to
re-use elements of Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith; those were the two most disliked areas from DS1.

its worth it for the loot. Got to get them large titanite shards and that early chunk.

KingKong

Okay, that's enough N
ameless
K
ing
for today. I'm making progress, but I'm not sure I've got the right equipment. I tried lightning / dark, but it doesn't seem to do any more damage than what I was using before. Gundyr's Halberd +5 and a Lothric Knight Sword +10 seem to be best.

Uhhh you definitely dont want to be using lighning. I did it with a heavy broadsword and that worked well

ViciousDS

Banned
Fully transitioned over to the Wolf Knight Greatsword from the Dark Sword, after using it to take out D
ragonslayer's Armor
. Absolutely love it

Running r1 is great for punishing a missed jump attack in pvp and the weapon art somersault attack is great for finishing off a successful riposte.

I couldn't get over my deep axe compared to the dark sword. Why should I use DS over the deep axe?

Also.....why didn't anyone warn me on how shitty the strategy guide is....by gawd, it's terrible. Who ever though it was a good idea to do steps and have a zoomed in partial map and NOT PUT collectables on it.....bravo you are a fucking moron lol

Uhhh you definitely dont want to be using lighning. I did it with a heavy broadsword and that worked well

It was suggested to me so I tried it. I've been having more success with Gundyr's Halberd +5 against the bird and the Lothric Knight Sword +10 against the boss. Dark doesn't seem to do shit.

its worth it for the loot. Got to get them large titanite shards and that early chunk.

True, but by the time I reached it, I had all the Titanite Shards and Large Titanite Shards I needed. It may be worth it if you're looking to upgrade a lot of weapons though, as the drop rate seems to be insanely high, especially if wearing the gold serpent ring.

I'm definitely glad I went through it once, as I'm a pyromancer, and there's shitloads of great stuff there for pyromancers.
Two pyromancy tomes (which contain awesome spells), and two Chaos Gems (which allow a weapon to scale with both INT and FAI.

Welp. Just one shot N
ameless King
and then the
Two Princes
. Time to try to farm out covenent stuff before NG+ I guess...

What is the best place to get the Darkmoon stuff?

Farm the silver knights at Anor Londo and prepare for many hours of agonizing disappointment.

Pejo

I really want to like the twinspears, but damn they hit like wet noodles. Moveset is awesome, stagger is good, but it just takes so long to take down enemies, especially bosses. I even sharp infused it with 40 DEX and buffed it with Greater Magic Weapon and it's shit. Why From, why!

wheeplash

Curved swords are my favorite, so that's lame. Felt like they got hit in Dark Souls II and now they're even worse.

They're so damn inexplicably and clearly bad that it feels like a number error rather than a deliberate choice.
I watched a Youtuber's fight club video where his friend is literally trashing people with a Carthus Curved Sword, the damage he dealt with his 2h R1s was incredible.

Also.....why didn't anyone warn me on how shitty the strategy guide is....by gawd, it's terrible. Who ever though it was a good idea to do steps and have a zoomed in partial map and NOT PUT collectables on it.....bravo you are a fucking moron lol

Ok, this made me laugh.

Artdayne

Farm the silver knights at Anor Londo and prepare for many hours of agonizing disappointment.

That's a waste of time. Farming in Anor Londo for about 2 hours got me about 3 Concord Kept and that's with all the gear to boost your luck. What is significantly more effective, I found was hanging out in areas like the Grand Archives and Archdragon Peak and waiting for summons. It honestly didn't take me that long to get Darkmoon Blade that way. Well, it took awhile but it was much, MUCH quicker than farming in Anor Londo.

LiK

the silverlining to farming those shitty covenant items is also getting a shitload of souls. i was able to buy every piece of unique armor and leveled up a lot. better than farming purely for souls.

ViciousDS

Banned
Ok, this made me laugh.

It's official.....the strategy guide gives you the true souls experience.

By making you pull your hair and snap controllers at the constant flipping and terrible design of a hardcover book. No longer does the game destroy you.....but this book will. With its terrible layouts, design and half the items not being marked with names. We give you a hell of a experience. But we don't stop there, we truly make the readers suffer by only putting step numbers and bonfire icons on the zoomed in maps to truly make you cry tears and rage with anger!

Buy the guide today!

LiK

It's official.....the strategy guide gives you the true souls experience. By making you pull your hair and snap controllers at the constant flipping and terrible design of a hardcover book. No longer does the game destroy you.....but this book will. With its terrible layouts, design and half the items not being marked with names. We give you a hell of a experience. But we don't stop there, we truly make the readers suffer by only putting step numbers and bonfire icons on the zoomed in maps to truly make you cry tears and rage with anger!

By the guide today!

hah, the guide is pretty bad from reviews i read. you can find way better guides on Youtube.

Ophelion

Welp that was easy.... no idea how I was supposed to know how that thing worked

You were supposed to know because you were meant to have played every souls game ever and remembered how you killed the Storm King almost ten years ago.

Non-joke answer: The dev team clearly expects people to talk to each other on the internet.

sappyday

Man my dumbass accidentally used the Twin Princess souls to get the same weapon again. AHH. If anyone did the same mistake but with the holy sword then I willing to trade one of the great swords. Or if you just don't need or care for the holy sword then that's fine too.

My quest to get every item in the game is grueling and I really don't want to farm for covenant items because they take forever.

MilkBeard

That's a waste of time. Farming in Anor Londo for about 2 hours got me about 3 Concord Kept and that's with all the gear to boost your luck. What is significantly more effective, I found was hanging out in areas like the Grand Archives and Archdragon Peak and waiting for summons. It honestly didn't take me that long to get Darkmoon Blade that way. Well, it took awhile but it was much, MUCH quicker than farming in Anor Londo.

Yeah, this works and yet people would rather spend hours upon hours farming for a few of them.

Not sure about the Xbox community or PC, but if you've got a PS4, it should be fairly easy to get summoned in late game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I'm super interested in giving this game a shot. A few questions!

1) I have not played the other games. I have no idea on the story. Is that a problem?

2) How does this game compare to Bloodborne? Is it more or less action-y?

3) Kind of related to 2, I have Dark Souls: Prepare to Die on Steam...Will that give me a good idea of what to expect with DS3?

4) Has the Steam version with the weird crashing been fixed?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm super interested in giving this game a shot. A few questions!

1) I have not played the other games. I have no idea on the story. Is that a problem?

2) How does this game compare to Bloodborne? Is it more or less action-y?

3) Kind of related to 2, I have Dark Souls: Prepare to Die on Steam...Will that give me a good idea of what to expect with DS3?

4) Has the Steam version with the weird crashing been fixed?

No, this game isn't really about the story.

Bit slower and no health recovered on attack.

Prepare to Die Edition is utter shit on PC, DS3 is leaps and bounds above it. It honestly feels like an alpha in comparison.

Apparently it was fixed but I haven't crashed once so I can't say for certain.

I'm open to suggestions for the
Nameless King
fight. Equipment, strategy, anything. The biggest enemy in this fight is the camera and the shit perspectives it gives you. Half the time I'm swinging at air and can't hit shit.

Stack as much lightning resist gear and ring helps a lot

Scher

There's a message in the room that says something about
only a storm being able to fell a greatwood, with the Stormruler right next to it
. It was also
a gimmick used in Demon's Souls, so people who played that game pretty much knew immediately what to do when they saw the Stormruler

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Smouldering Lake

Yeah, I kinda like the lake portion in that it's unique at least, and less intimidating than it looks; after
getting shot at the first time
I NOPE'd out of there real quick, but then I went to
Irithyll and the pontiff knights
wrecked me so I decided to brave the lake again... XD And well once I saw where the shots were coming from I could use the cover better.

Buuuut, the ruins part just sucks. Annoying as fuck enemies and boring-looking hallways. Good loot, at least, and tons of hidden doors and secrets, it gets a bit better once you get past the area
with the rats and make your way to the giant avelyn's lever
, but the initial ruins part is a real slog IMO and it's visually underwhelming.

You were supposed to have played Demon's Souls, you heathen!

Disclaimer: I have played Demon's Souls and didn't figure it out, because...
Siegward was with me, doing all the damage while I distracted the boss doing shit damage and wondering how I'd be supposed to win if Siegward hadn't been there... XD I'd probably have explored around the room and found the Stormruler and then I'd have known, though. But Siegward "spoiled" it all! ;)

Eusis

Oh really? Interesting. Apparently there is still lot of wrong information about this stuff then.
I was hoping to see all three endings with a single end save and didn't exactly want to farm the souls necessary to avoid that, so that was the most obvious and easy way to do it.

Obviously it didn't work out!

kagamin

Kind of related to 2, I have Dark Souls: Prepare to Die on Steam...Will that give me a good idea of what to expect with DS3?

Prepare to Die Edition is utter shit on PC, DS3 is leaps and bounds above it. It honestly feels like an alpha in comparison.

It honestly runs fine (you can get some nice looking results with DSFix as well), and you can actually play it at 60fps (albeit with DSFix) but probably not in blighttown (I get like low to high 50s in blighttown).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom