• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other recommended stats? I noticed a weapon I picked up required higher stats than I had, can't remember which.

And should I be budding whatever gives me higher equip weight capacity?
Different weapons will have different stats requirement. Frankly use whatever weapon moves you like. Level up what scales with that weapon such as strength for the dark sword. Or you could go for a "quality build" trying to have both strength and dex even. That will allow you to play around with the majority of the weapons.

For weight, it depends on what weapons and armor set you want to use. As long as you are <70% weight, you are good. There are rings in the game that will increase your max weight.

MilkBeard

Fuck
Road of Sacrifices
. I've been stuck here for the last half hour trying to get past these bird fucks. I get all the way to the other side and then slip off the rock and fall. I haven't even gotten past the archway leading down the hill. This game is quickly becoming a "sell and come back later" title. UC4 is right around the corner and I don't want to be playing this when it comes out.

Not to be rude, but why not? Either way, maybe this type of game isn't for you.

By the way, some people say run, but I usually don't run from about 80-90% of the encounters. If you're going to give the game a chance, here is your chance to learn how to do the game's mechanics well. You can watch their behaviors. All Souls enemies have attack patterns where they will go into a multi-hit attack, and then pause. Go for an attack during their pauses between attacks. Once you stun it with one hit, you can keep swinging for a while. Try to bring one or two away from the others. Roll or use shield when they go into their attack frenzy. Try different attacks, like fire. A lot of enemies burn when you hit them with a fire weapon/spell.

Good luck.

MilkBeard

Well, if it works out for you it's all good.

So glad that I didn't like the look of Gundyr's armor. I've pumped so much into Vit just to get my current outfit to work out(silver mask + Mirrah Set) under 30. Couldn't imagine rocking that.

I do rock the fire witch set when I go with a heavier weapon, though.

I did buy all the
Soul of Cinder
set, and I've been rocking it for a while. It's actually a pretty light set and has decent defense. I've been running around with that and the
Firelink Greatsword
. It's a fun build. I use a Grass Crest Shield to keep my stamina up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hmm remember the dude that
protects the miracles lady
?
Eygon
. Just read that he shows up
dead in the cell she used to be in after you kill abyss watchers. So my question is, will his body have the hammer and shield that he would drop if you killed him
?

And speaking of killing npcs, any penalty for doing it before moving on to ng+ this time?

Daft Punk

Banned
Not to be rude, but why not? Either way, maybe this type of game isn't for you.

By the way, some people say run, but I usually don't run from about 80-90% of the encounters. If you're going to give the game a chance, here is your chance to learn how to do the game's mechanics well. You can watch their behaviors. All Souls enemies have attack patterns where they will go into a multi-hit attack, and then pause. Go for an attack during their pauses between attacks. Once you stun it with one hit, you can keep swinging for a while. Try to bring one or two away from the others. Roll or use shield when they go into their attack frenzy. Try different attacks, like fire. A lot of enemies burn when you hit them with a fire weapon/spell.

Good luck.

Oh, I've beaten DeS, DS1, DS2, and BB. I'm just bitching lol.

LiK

?
Eygon
dead in the cell she used to be in after you kill abyss watchers. So my question is, will his body have the hammer and shield that he would drop if you killed him
?

And speaking of killing npcs, any penalty for doing it before moving on to ng+ this time?

That didn't happen in my game. He shows up in
Firelink Shrine

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That didn't happen in my game. He shows up in
Firelink Shrine

After that. Ive finished the game, I just need to go check the
cell
I guess but im at work lol. I also dont remember the fastest way to get there... that bonfire near the small bridge maybe?

knitoe

?
Eygon
?

If you finish the questline, yes, the items will be on his dead body.

As for killing npc, no penalty and that's why you want to do it before going into NG+.

p3n

Finally killed that bastard NK. What an intimidating son of a bitch. I just stayed away from him and shot him with arrows.

That works in the second phase? How? I couldn't even cast anything on my low SL pyro without him jumping right into my face.

Rhaknar

If you finish the questline, yes, the items will be on his dead body.

As for killing npc, no penalty and that's why you want to do it before going into NG+.

I felt so bad doing it in DS 1 man ;_;

I wanted those estus shards tho :3

Astral

That works in the second phase? How? I couldn't even cast anything on my low SL pyro without him jumping right into my face.

If you stay far enough away from him he'll just walk towards you slowly. Since you're out of range he'll mostly try to get close with that jumping attack or the forward thrust. Sometimes he'll use shockwaves. It's still really risky though. I need lots of Estus Flasks.

EDIT: Is it worth spending a slab to max out the Farron Greatsword? It's weak as shit at +4.

K' Dash

Just finished it, I'll help some people with some of the harder bosses tomorrow and say good bye until the DLC.

Quantum Break and Star Fox Zero await.

Daft Punk

Banned
Alright got through
Crucifixion Woods
and now I have two choices: go to
Farron Keep
or go toward
Cathedral
? Which way do I choose folks?

Honestly, I think they shouldn't run past them, if they can't manage the birds, then the enemies in the next part of the area are going to be soul-crushing. They should rethink their approach.

Depends on your build and what weapon you're using. Vit allows you to remain light with heavier weapons/armor, but it's not the best stat. As for str/dex, press square on the weapon you're using and look for letters(like d, c, etc lined up with each other). There will be symbols above the letters corresponding to stats. The letter determines how well the damage of the weapon scales with that stat.

The next area is easy easier....

Rocketz

Alright got through
Crucifixion Woods
and now I have two choices: go to
Farron Keep
or go toward
Cathedral
? Which way do I choose folks?

The "correct" path is going to the
Cathedral
first as you'll
need an item later on down the path to progress in an area after Farron Keep.

Astral

When do you guys decide to summon help for a boss fight? Is it not recommended to do that before even trying a boss fight solo?

I would at least somewhat learn the boss's pattern if I were you because if your partner dies during the boss, you're stuck alone against a boss with increased HP.

Robot Pants

Why is the PVP in this game so fucking atrocious when the rest of the game is a masterpiece?
Like it's awful. So bad I can't even believe it.
Like condemned 2 bad.

tfw you parry someone giving you the buffed estoc r1 spam and then one-shot them with the riposte... oh man

I really need to practice parries. Been too use to using a weapon skill shield and I just kept getting wrecked when I tried to switch. Wanted to see how it is since I have been getting one shot by people parrying me.

Styles

Went back to my Sorc and used up all I've embers for the WotA fight. All of this was so much easier on my strength build. &#128128;

Mutombo

I finally beat the
Abyss Watchers.
Does the difficulty continue to spike or what should I expect here on out?

opinions differ, but more difficult bosses are definitely coming.

In other unrelated news; spent some time respeccing my character and made him viable for pvp. I can actually invade people and kill them now. I felt like a fucking virtual killer, stabbed the host in the back in a small hallway, and, proceeded to kill the other two phantoms in the seconds before they got back to their world. Felt good, that.

Sanctuary

So I've finished the game four times.
I just found the
blessed red and white round shield +1
for the first time. WTF? Extremely useful early game item for practically everyone.

Novocaine

What's a good farming loop for Vertebra Shackles? I've been killing the 2 guys directly off of the Catacombs bonfire and resetting.

Man it's so frustrating, I've been trying to do it via invades but every time it's at least 2 people usually 3, and Australian lag means 90% of the time my weapon goes straight through someone without damaging. I only need 10 Shackles and I'm done with all but Darkmoon which can wait.

Welp I beat DS3 (my first souls game) I also previously beat BB and almost beat DS2 (deleted my save file by mistake -_-) I also played DrkS and DemS.
I had fun and thoroughly enjoyed it.

But I kinda dislike it and I would prefer BB and dare I say DS2 over it. I feel like the enemies and bosses in this game are crazy unforgiving with a ridiculous amount of combos. These enemies literally have a second of breathing room between each combo. I pretty much spend half of the game rolling and dodging (thank god for backstabs). Parries, as much as I tried and practiced, never worked for me, so I mainly used the shield for protecting but it was also worthless because enemies can literally push your shield away on their second attack and then here comes a killing combo.
It basically felt like BB enemies and bosses with DS gameplay. Hell the game even looked like BB in certain parts.

But anyways I digress, I still had a good time and it is a damn good game. Also it is addicting as hell, I was confident the game would last me until Uncharted 4 but I was so wrong and I'm interested in going for another round in NG+ but I'll take a break since I somehow got headaches after each day of playing this XD

Meccs

What's a good farming loop for Vertebra Shackles? I've been killing the 2 guys directly off of the Catacombs bonfire and resetting.

Man it's so frustrating, I've been trying to do it via invades but every time it's at least 2 people usually 3, and Australian lag means 90% of the time my weapon goes straight through someone without damaging. I only need 10 Shackles and I'm done with all but Darkmoon which can wait.
I hear you. I started a new character for PvP reasons and while the "super chaotic fights with multiple people that turns in a free for all sometimes thing" can be fun for a while, it gets super frustrating quickly. And I don't think the lag is an Australian thing. I'm from Europe and my connection is usually really great in online games. In DS3 I'm never sure if I did actually hit the guy or not. Sometimes I miss and it still registers or my guy does a grunting noise but didn't take any damage. The netcode seems wonky at best...

Just finished
Nameles king.
That is one of the worst designed boss fights. The second phase is great and a lot of fun but the first phase has one of the worst cameras ever. So much so that you have to play the game a particular way so that the boss does not
go to the sky
ever so often. How did this not get play tested ? This is the first time in a long time that the camera has actually hindered my enjoyment of the fight so much. There have been camera problems in souls bosses in the past but this is just unforgivable.

Cool atmosphere and design though but that is about it.

My tipp: just control the lock-on. You can target one or the other, you know that, right? Not trying to be cocky but I didn't have any camera problems. When he attacks just stay locked onto him most of the time. Anytime you have a window for attacking the head or need to run because (fire attack) just let go for a short time.

verbatimo

Meccs

Whats the main reason to start a new character just for PvP? Isnt it better to use your most powefull character?
Trying different builds without having to respec.
Different level ranges to invade.
etc.

Invasions at lower levels are generally more fun imo.

Dark Souls 3 has same poise mechanics as Dark Souls 1. For some reason game doesn't use it.

You can activate the poise by editing files, but this can lead to soft ban.

Interesting find.

Here's a video of the normally disabled poise mechanic in action. Very similar to Dark Souls 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldIxzYQ7nIw
Second video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaoGYbK0fo

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4gdj3j/discussion_about_a_recent_discovery_about_a/

Interesting...This is HUGE. Do you think this will be patched?

Demoskinos

Just one run through the game left and I'll have the Plat trophy. Even with all the covenant grinding it it'll most likely take me still less than my Dark Souls II run which I think I clocked at 120hrs before i got all the trophies in that.

p3n

Why is the PVP in this game so fucking atrocious when the rest of the game is a masterpiece?
Like it's awful. So bad I can't even believe it.
Like condemned 2 bad.

Hmm I would say it is not quite as snappy and precise as Dark Souls 1 but nowhere near as bad as Dark Souls 2. What is it that you don't like about it?

mxgt

Banned
Interesting...This is HUGE. Do you think this will be patched?

I hope it does. At the moment there's just no reason to wear anything other than fashion souls because heavy armour poise doesn't work.

Real shame, but it had to be intentional by FROM, just wonder why.

nOoblet16

The Anri quest is ridiculous, I don't know why From still insists on doing NPC questlines in this manner. When I say this manner what I mean is all you do most of the time is talk to them at a specific place in a specific time to progress the quest and if you don't you fail it.

I get that they want players to explore and as such come across the NPCs but to have situations where if you don't do exactly what the devs want in the exact order you end up failing the quest. The order bit is the annoying part because of how open ended DS3 is. And honestly it's just not really possible to know these things considering how complicated and intertwined some of them can be like Anri's quest.

So here's what happened (details on whole of Anri's questline)

I met Anri with Horace in road of sacrifices, then again in Firelink, twice in Catacombs, then I killed Horace in Smouldering Lake. Then I met Anri again in Church of Yorksha.

Now in order for Anri to make it out alive, DS3 wikia tells me that I have to kill the pilgrim who is disguised as a statue otherwise you find Anri dead in Tomb of the Darkmoon. But here's the thing, the wikia also tells me you don't get any pilgrim if you never meet Yuria, and you don't meet Yuria if you never finish Yoel's questline.

I on the other hand never even never met Yoel, because by the time I came to know about him I was past the Abyss Watchers and as such he waz already dead. But in order to have the pilgrim in the church I need to not only find Yoel but also take Darksign 5 times before I kill the abyss watchers so that Yuria appears who will then cause the pilgrim to appear in the church.

Sinc I didnt do any of that, basically there was no Pilgrim in the church to kill (I hit every single statue and nothing). And as such Anri's quest should progress to the next bit i.e. summoning at Anor Londo. Instead I find Anri dead at Tomb of the Darkmoon with a pilgrim dead near the door who wasn't even suppose to be there in the game anymore.

Wtf?

NEO0MJ

So glad that I didn't like the look of Gundyr's armor. I've pumped so much into Vit just to get my current outfit to work out(silver mask + Mirrah Set) under 30. Couldn't imagine rocking that.

What? I think it looks badass. Maybe because
I enjoyed facing the Champ so much.

Wish we had the third dragon ring in this game, would make wearing the whole set easier.

The Anri quest is ridiculous, I don't know why From still insists on doing NPC questlines in this manner. When I say this manner what I mean is all you do most of the time is talk to them at a specific place in a specific time to progress the quest and if you don't you fail it.

I get that they want players to explore and as such come across the NPCs but to have situations where if you don't do exactly what the devs want in the exact order you end up failing the quest. The order bit is the annoying part because of how open ended DS3 is. And honestly it's just not really possible to know these things considering how complicated and intertwined some of them can be like Anri's quest.

So here's what happened (details on whole of Anri's questline)

I met Anri with Horace in road of sacrifices, then again in Firelink, twice in Catacombs, then I killed Horace in Smouldering Lake. Then I met Anri again in Church of Yorksha.

Now in order for Anri to make it out alive, DS3 wikia tells me that I have to kill the pilgrim who is disguised as a statue otherwise you find Anri dead in Tomb of the Darkmoo . But here's the thing, the wikia also tells me you don't get any pilgrim if you never meet Yuria, and you don't meet Yuria if you never finish Yoel's questline.

I on the other hand never even never met Yoel, because by the time I came to know about him I was past the Abyss Watchers and as such already dead.

So basically there was no Pilgrim in the church to kill (I hit every single statue and nothing). And according to DS3 wikia Anri's quest should progress to the next bit i.e. summoning at Anor Londo. Instead I find Anri dead at Tomb of the Darkmoon with a pilgrim dead near the door who wasn't even suppose to be there in the game anymore.

Wtf?

I am a Souls game newb and as much as I am enjoying DS3 now, this kind of side quests implementation is blowing my mind by how much retarded they are.

I have never used a guide in my life and I really do not want to but if I want to exhaust the game's content I don't think there is any other way.

ISee

I'm on my second playthrough atm. Going for a dex build + small parry shield instead of my str build + 100% blocking shield. It plays different, faster and a bit more exciting/risky and overall I'm having more fun but the more I play that way the more I start to miss Bloodbornes combat. So I started a new BB character but playing BB on PS4 right after playing DS3 on PC is a bit 'different'.

I know, first world problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom