• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, shames me to say it, but I really do think they butchered poise in order to get greatsword users to use weapon arts. The only time I can ever tank hits and not stagger like I did in DS1/2 is if I stance through hits.

I hope they just admit that FP is a (mostly) failed mechanic and give us back the old system that didn't need fixing >.>

I haven't played DS2 yet and the only spell I have so far in DS1 is the standard Pyromancy, so I assume you're talking about number of uses? If so, yeah, I think that's better and it avoids flask management. Sword Arts could probably do with just taking up a lot more Stamina instead, tho, because I really like them so far and wouldn't want them gone.

sappyday

I love the fight club. Was there something like this in Bloodborne or Dark Souls? I never really got into the PvP of the Souls game but this time I decided to give it a go. So I wonder if there were always places in the older games where players have a whole tournament that is dictated by gesture.

Mutombo

Also, shames me to say it, but I really do think they butchered poise in order to get greatsword users to use weapon arts. The only time I can ever tank hits and not stagger like I did in DS1/2 is if I stance through hits.

I hope they just admit that FP is a (mostly) failed mechanic and give us back the old system that didn't need fixing >.>

I like the FP system, but they need to buff a bunch of the weapon arts for it to be truly viable, I reckon. Some are good. Some are bad. Most are just a different move.

pa22word

I haven't played DS2 yet and the only spell I have so far in DS1 is the standard Pyromancy, so I assume you're talking about number of uses? If so, yeah, I think that's better and it avoids flask management. Sword Arts could probably do with just taking up a lot more Stamina instead, tho, because I really like them so far and wouldn't want them gone.

The idea is fine, implementation is what's overwhelmingly flawed.

Making users choose between the flasks as if they carry equivalent mechanical weight is lunacy for a melee character. Who in their right mind is going to sacrifice 1 of 3 starting estus for a mechanic to boost offensive firepower when at the start of the game most everyone is struggling at the base level just to survive? Who's going to put points into attunement instead of endurance or vigor, which has noticeably immediate gameplay benefits over the much more abstract weapon skills system at the start of the game? By the time players start getting into experimenting with stats later in the game, they've already ignored FP for so long that they don't see the point in bothering with it because they're doing just fine as it is, and "holy shit that last boss was tough...I really needed that last estus too..."

It's just a bafflingly flawed system in every way. If they ever want melee character to take it seriously outside of PvP shenanigans, which undermines the entire system as for a PVP encounter starting FP allotment is more than enough to last any encounter before you kill the invader/phantom/host anyways, they need to look into seriously overhauling the entire system.

I'd go so far as to say that FP as it stands is probably in the running with adaptability as one of the most head scratching mechanical decisions in the series. No matter how you look at it, it's just badly designed.

Hey GAF DS3 players.

Few questions:

1) So just wanted to know if there is consensus yet of if you wanted to be summoned at each area about +- what level you should be?

2) What is the consensus on the best place to form for souls?

3) What is the consensus on best place to farm usable matirials? (titan shards etc)

4) Is their negative side effects for invading other people games and losing?

That was it for now thanks all :)

gaugebozo

"Area spoilers" considering the area after the
Crusifixion
Woods (not the
Cathedral of the
Deep):

The Farron Keep has beaten me in my blind playthrough. It's actually not difficult, as the poison is not a very big threat when it procs so lightly. However, it is mentally taxing to trek through so slowly, and I get lost so easily yet have the urge to try and find everything. And I hate basilisks ever since Dark Souls 1 (does curse insta-kill you in this game?). I have lit one of the three fires, but I can't remember where it was. I have found one additional bonfire (near a room filled with slimes and an Undead Bone Shard´and close to what I assume is the boss door that needs the three fires), and went up a ladder and killed a Stray/Taurus demon looking thing but that was a dead end except for a bunch of treasure.

There are just too many paths to explore. There's a god damn giant crab here which I have to fight in deep water(?), there are those big giant things with trees as weapons, there's basilisks, there's poison waters and deep waters where I move slowly.

Any tips for finding the right path and how to deal in general? I'm wearing the poison res ring and my most poison resistant gear. I'm just mentally exhausted after going through this area for probably two hours and barely making progress...

Use the weapon art for a dagger. It lets you hop, and is unaffected by the water. It even works without any FP left.

You can keep them both going. Just give Seigward his armor and send Greirat to get more stuff when he asks if you want him to do so.
Yeah i know, but i think that Greirat dies the next time he goes out if Patches isn't helping him in Siegward's armor. Afaik he can survive the second scavenging and then can set out on a third run and is going to die there for sure.

That's why i was asking. It's about keeping Greirat alive the second time and getting Siegward out of the well, and wether i have to choose between one of them.

dragos495

is anybody going for the platinum?

i gave it my best try. made txt files with the rings that i have and those i need, same for sorceries, miracles, gestures and so on.

got everything i needed in my ng run, obviously i missed 99% of the quests coz i played the game on release like a madman. it seems like a chore though to collect the offerings for the covenants, especially since i dont play pvp, to get some rings and miracles as rewards, sometimes as rank 2...

i dread starting ng+ and be uber paranoid not to miss a questline step, and not getting a gesture from an npc or a miracle from another then forcing me to start all over again.

i beat all the bosses and got 2 endings (savefile) but it seems this platinum will elude me! :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Here's a really good interview with Miyazaki from the Taiwan press event this weekend.
Nice translation by a Reddit user.

Sorry if it's already been posted, but there's some good stuff in there regarding the game, and Miyazaki's stance on sequels, upcoming titles, etc.
Why has this been deleted? A sign that it's not that trustworthy?

Alright got through
Crucifixion Woods
and now I have two choices: go to
Farron Keep
or go toward
Cathedral
? Which way do I choose folks?
I would strongly recommend the Cathedral.

I finally beat the
Abyss Watchers.
Does the difficulty continue to spike or what should I expect here on out?
They were one of the hardest bosses for me, it took until the late-game bosses until it got hard again. YMMV.

upoPcwr.png

https://my.mixtape.moe/fmjoxy.webm

The blue had less HP than I remembered but it was still a clutch parry.
Forked Tongue??

"Area spoilers" considering the area after the
Crusifixion
Woods (not the
Cathedral of the
Deep):

The Farron Keep has beaten me in my blind playthrough. It's actually not difficult, as the poison is not a very big threat when it procs so lightly. However, it is mentally taxing to trek through so slowly, and I get lost so easily yet have the urge to try and find everything. And I hate basilisks ever since Dark Souls 1 (does curse insta-kill you in this game?). I have lit one of the three fires, but I can't remember where it was. I have found one additional bonfire (near a room filled with slimes and an Undead Bone Shard´and close to what I assume is the boss door that needs the three fires), and went up a ladder and killed a Stray/Taurus demon looking thing but that was a dead end except for a bunch of treasure.

There are just too many paths to explore. There's a god damn giant crab here which I have to fight in deep water(?), there are those big giant things with trees as weapons, there's basilisks, there's poison waters and deep waters where I move slowly.

Any tips for finding the right path and how to deal in general? I'm wearing the poison res ring and my most poison resistant gear. I'm just mentally exhausted after going through this area for probably two hours and barely making progress...
Something that might make it less grueling, assuming you don't mind being always low/0 on FP: equip a weapon (like a dagger or the brigand dual daggers) that has the "Quickstep" as Weapon Art, two-hand it, and mash L2 to move quickly in the swamp. Makes a huge difference.

The
well
part in Siegward's is where it jumped the shark for me. I mean, you
wouldn't go near the well while progressing through the cathedral. And that's after having to reload the place to make Patches appear near the bridge, which is related to both of their quests.

So basically, if you do everything right, you'll break the quest.

Heh. I found this blind in my first playthrough. Here's how it went:

I found the area where Patches shows up but there was no one. I found that odd that it was a dead end. And I could see there was something on the other side but I couldn't figure it out.

Then I killed the boss. And then I decided to invade.

I invade this guy who has a shortcut open that I had missed. The ladder one, that leads to the bottom area with the maggot creatures. I had found this area (by dropping down at the place where you pick up the Poisonbite Ring) but the ladder room was an apparent dead end which I had found odd. So by invading this guy I spawn near the ladder shortcut and realize I missed something.

I go back there in my own world, exiting the Cathedral. I remembered a message about "armor, friend" near the well so I check the well and yup, Siegward's there. But of course I don't have his armour. So yeah I go back up, find the ladder shortcut, but I'm still baffled.

I explore some more. I go back to the place where Patches shows up in case I missed something and... there is Onionbro again? No wait that's not him. Haha, I know it's you Patches, no one else would suggest I go grab treasure so suspiciously. But I still take the bait and sure enough he lowers the bridge and laughs at me. Then he gets mad that the giant is gone. xD

I still don't know how to get to the other side and get frustrated, but eventually I re-visited the upper parts and found the place to reach those rafters. So yeah here's Patches on the other side (oh and a covenant, cool), I buy Onionbro's armour from him, then go back to the well and toss it to him.

So yeah. tl;dr I found all this because I went back to see if I had missed stuff, and... I did, but not in the ways I was expecting.

If I hadn't invaded that guy and seen the ladder I had missed, well, I'd still have re-explored 'cause I really wanted to get to the other side of that bridge, but I don't know if I'd have noticed the well part.

Apparently, you need to meet
Patches
to proceed Siegward quest?

Guess what, I never met him, even when I was where I am supposed to.

How the fuck can I know I have to reload the area if he doesn't appear?

Frustrating.
Nah. In my second playthrough, I went right away to the rafters area, so I didn't fall into
Patches
's trap. Siegward was still at the well. You do need
Patches
, but in this case he just showed up at the Bell tower in Firelink. So try that. Ride the elevator up and down again.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Huh.

Interestingly for a quality build:

Vigor 34
Endurance 35
Vitality 25
Strength 40
Dexterity 40

Knight reach that with 120 while Warrior actually reach it at 119... and that with 11 luck, and considering quality build rarely, if ever, uses spells, the Warrior's 6 attunement vs. 10's Knight can be considered very negligible, while that extra luck can be useful for item drops.

Hmmm.... interesting.

pa22word

Hey GAF DS3 players.

Few questions:

1) So just wanted to know if there is consensus yet of if you wanted to be summoned at each area about +- what level you should be?

2) What is the consensus on the best place to form for souls?

3) What is the consensus on best place to farm usable matirials? (titan shards etc)

4) Is their negative side effects for invading other people games and losing?

That was it for now thanks all :)

1. http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Recommended Level+by+Location

2. Sunbro anywhere

3. Don't worry about it. Materials are almost totally location bound now.

4. Bloodstain down where you died seems to be the only thing I can think of.

myco666

Yeah i know, but i think that Greirat dies the next time he goes out if Patches isn't helping him in Siegward's armor. Afaik he can survive the second scavenging and then can set out on a third run and is going to die there for sure.

That's why i was asking. It's about keeping Greirat alive the second time and getting Siegward out of the well, and wether i have to choose between one of them.

Greirat will be saved by Seigward if you give his armor back on the second run. Still haven't had him survive the third run though and it seems he dies at that point no matter what but not sure.

sappyday

Don't send him out the third time at all. He'll die no matter what. Having Patches save him is just in case you missed the Siegward storyline. Otherwise just save Seigward in the well and then the next time you meet him you send Greirat out to pillage and he'll be fine. Although in the end I don't think it matters since you still get all the shit he would've sold if he dies with the handmaiden, but I did save him in new game+

Novocaine

I hear you. I started a new character for PvP reasons and while the "super chaotic fights with multiple people that turns in a free for all sometimes thing" can be fun for a while, it gets super frustrating quickly. And I don't think the lag is an Australian thing. I'm from Europe and my connection is usually really great in online games. In DS3 I'm never sure if I did actually hit the guy or not. Sometimes I miss and it still registers or my guy does a grunting noise but didn't take any damage. The netcode seems wonky at best...

Well it's a consolation to know it's not just me then. I have found that dropping a sign and helping kill mad dark spirits nets me the vertebra shackles now too though so maybe I'll just do that because the drop rate from these skeletons is absolute trash. So close to Warmth.

Salez

Neo Member
I seem to have missed a ring on my first playthrough and I'm now nearing the end of NG++. I have the +1 and +2 version but not the first one (i think it was the fire resistant one). Was wondering is there any way to get the all rings trophy or do I have to start a whole new character and finish the game 3 times again?

pa22word

I seem to have missed a ring on my first playthrough and I'm now nearing the end of NG++. I have the +1 and +2 version but not the first one (i think it was the fire resistant one). Was wondering is there any way to get the all rings trophy or do I have to start a whole new character and finish the game 3 times again?

You can get that ring on any NG variant, I'm pretty sure?

I'm pretty positive I have 2 fire stoneplate rings on my NG+ character the moment.

sappyday

I'm pretty sure the item will be there still. Although I didn't get that ring again specifically, I got pretty much the same rings again in new game +. I'm not sure if you can miss +1 rings though

Greirat will be saved by Seigward if you give his armor back on the second run. Still haven't had him survive the third run though and it seems he dies at that point no matter what but not sure.

Don't send him out the third time at all. He'll die no matter what. Having Patches save him is just in case you missed the Siegward storyline. Otherwise just save Seigward in the well and then the next time you meet him you send Greirat out to pillage and he'll be fine. Although in the end I don't think it matters since you still get all the shit he would've sold if he dies with the handmaiden, but I did save him in new game+

Ah now i get it, he's either saved by Patches with Siegwards armor or by Siegward himself and only dies on the second run if neither questline is active. Great, then off to give my Onion Bro the long needed wardrobe-support!

Thanks a bunch!

pa22word

I'm pretty sure the item will be there still. Although I didn't get that ring again specifically, I got pretty much the same rings again in new game +. I'm not sure if you can miss +1 rings though

Yeah, I'm almost positive that all the +X rings are new drops in new locations.

Salez

Neo Member
You can get that ring on any NG variant, I'm pretty sure?

I'm pretty positive I have 2 fire stoneplate rings on my NG+ character the moment.

Ok thanks.

What about if I miss a +1 of any ring? Could that mean I'm locked out of that trophy on my current character?

Let's hope that ring is the only one I haven't found so far :D

Lord Phol

Completed the game last night with a Uchigana Dex build. Great fun and IMO the best Dark Souls (not better than Bloodborne though) so far. Started a new game right away as a pyromancer xD.

Ferr986

I love the fight club. Was there something like this in Bloodborne or Dark Souls? I never really got into the PvP of the Souls game but this time I decided to give it a go. So I wonder if there were always places in the older games where players have a whole tournament that is dictated by gesture.

Yep, especially in DS2 there were a couple of zones with lots of legit fight clubs going.

It is pretty ridiculous that their netcode is still awful in regards to PvP hit detection, etc.

Yeah its a shame. I mean they are practically developing the same game since 5 iterations on nearly identical system architectures (Id say) and still have the same problems again and again. Embarrassing...

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Damn I just cannot deal with the curved sword enemies in the valley

mxgt

Banned
Tips for Pontiff solo no shield? I didn't have trouble with the watchers phase 2 but I can't seem to read this fellow.

Use a
small shield or parrying dagger. Parry on his initial leap, then back off and repeat. If you get enough distance he will do the same leap. Might take some practice but I find it consistently easy enough to parry and punish. Once he splits it's easy enough to read and dodge the moves and get him down.

Zocano

Tips for Pontiff solo no shield? I didn't have trouble with the watchers phase 2 but I can't seem to read this fellow.

Stick close, strafe left
Deal damage when he's summoning the shadow. I prefer to focus down the shadow asap. PS copies the shadow, not the other way around, so always prepare for double trouble and be patient when the shadow is about.

Footos22

Damn I just cannot deal with the curved sword enemies in the valley
Block first hit. Roll second then backstab. I struggled for a while too but when you get them down they are easy. They also stagger after every hit do bring quicker than them will guarantee victory.

Gun Animal

is there any spell in dark souls 3 that's as overpowered as firestorm was in demon's souls?

another way to phrase it: what's the most effective way to cheese bosses with sorceries, pyromancies or miracles?

I've played every Soulsbourne game roleplaying as guts and only using the biggest sword in my inventory but I like Dark Souls 3 enough to give a casting build a shot... Any tips?

What worked for me was
staying right up to him and circle strafing to the right (anti-clockwise around him). Don't get cocky; just get a few hits in when you can.
When he drops to the floor, just stay away, heal or buff your weapon, because he'll do an AoE. Once he gets up he'll go to his second phase. He's vulnerable here, so just try and deal as much damage you can as possible. If you do enough, you stop the main part of the second phase from happening (although he can do it again, but again, during the transition you get free hits in), and you just have a repeat of the first phase.

Failing to stop the second phase made it a lot harder for me.

Robiin

Okay I am way behind you guys but I just had an encounter with probably the coolest boss so far, the (swamp area)
Abyss Watchers

I have only fought him/them once so far, and it is already one of my favorite fights in the series. It tests reaction speed, dodging multiple enemies, then when you think you know what to do, it "transforms" into one fiery knight that reminds me of Gwyn. It has more damaging attacks, looks cool as hell and I had to find a new strategy because rolling to the side stopped working due to the fire trail he leaves behind.

Got him to half health on the second form before I died, but I can tell so far this fight demands absolute concentration and reading to succeed - seems super fair, just a cool fight in general!

anddo0

is anybody going for the platinum?

i gave it my best try. made txt files with the rings that i have and those i need, same for sorceries, miracles, gestures and so on.

got everything i needed in my ng run, obviously i missed 99% of the quests coz i played the game on release like a madman. it seems like a chore though to collect the offerings for the covenants, especially since i dont play pvp, to get some rings and miracles as rewards, sometimes as rank 2...

i dread starting ng+ and be uber paranoid not to miss a questline step, and not getting a gesture from an npc or a miracle from another then forcing me to start all over again.

i beat all the bosses and got 2 endings (savefile) but it seems this platinum will elude me! :(

I'm close to beating the game, but doubt I'll aim for the platinum. I've 100% every Souls game with the exception of Demon's Souls (double plat for DS2). But I just don't have it in me to do it for DS3.. The grind for covenant specific spells and rings doesn't excite me. I totally screwed up NPC interaction on my first run,
Yoel of Londor died before i even knew his purpose, never meet Karla, butchered (but completed) the Anri of Astora questline, which is tied into Yoel of Londor.
So yeah, lot's of work to do :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom