• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Souls 3 has same poise mechanics as Dark Souls 1. For some reason game doesn't use it.

You can activate the poise by editing files, but this can lead to soft ban.

Interesting find.

Here's a video of the normally disabled poise mechanic in action. Very similar to Dark Souls 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldIxzYQ7nIw
Second video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaoGYbK0fo

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4gdj3j/discussion_about_a_recent_discovery_about_a/
huh that's interesting I wonder why it's not in the final game.

Just one run through the game left and I'll have the Plat trophy. Even with all the covenant grinding it it'll most likely take me still less than my Dark Souls II run which I think I clocked at 120hrs before i got all the trophies in that.
Will be joining you in getting the platinum this weekend when I have free time.

upoPcwr.png

https://my.mixtape.moe/fmjoxy.webm

The blue had less HP than I remembered but it was still a clutch parry.

nOoblet16

I am a Souls game newb and as much as I am enjoying DS3 now, this kind of side quests implementation is blowing my mind by how much retarded they are.

I have never used a guide in my life and I really do not want to but if I want to exhaust the game's content I don't think there is any other way.
They are absolutely terrible because they never tell you what to do to progress the quest or even what they (the NPCs) are on to. As such it's on pure luck that you come across them at the right time at the right place.

There is absolutely no way to exhaust the game's content just by playing without using a guide. Unless you play the game multiple times trying to see and do everything and do entire playthrough s to see what kind of effect choosing that one dialogue differently had..which is what the guide creators did.

Robiin

"Area spoilers" considering the area after the
Crusifixion
Woods (not the
Cathedral of the
Deep):

The Farron Keep has beaten me in my blind playthrough. It's actually not difficult, as the poison is not a very big threat when it procs so lightly. However, it is mentally taxing to trek through so slowly, and I get lost so easily yet have the urge to try and find everything. And I hate basilisks ever since Dark Souls 1 (does curse insta-kill you in this game?). I have lit one of the three fires, but I can't remember where it was. I have found one additional bonfire (near a room filled with slimes and an Undead Bone Shard´and close to what I assume is the boss door that needs the three fires), and went up a ladder and killed a Stray/Taurus demon looking thing but that was a dead end except for a bunch of treasure.

There are just too many paths to explore. There's a god damn giant crab here which I have to fight in deep water(?), there are those big giant things with trees as weapons, there's basilisks, there's poison waters and deep waters where I move slowly.

Any tips for finding the right path and how to deal in general? I'm wearing the poison res ring and my most poison resistant gear. I'm just mentally exhausted after going through this area for probably two hours and barely making progress...

Crusifixion
Woods (not the
Cathedral of the
Deep):

The Farron Keep has beaten me in my blind playthrough. It's actually not difficult, as the poison is not a very big threat when it procs so lightly. However, it is mentally taxing to trek through so slowly, and I get lost so easily yet have the urge to try and find everything. And I hate basilisks ever since Dark Souls 1 (does curse insta-kill you in this game?). I have lit one of the three fires, but I can't remember where it was. I have found one additional bonfire (near a room filled with slimes and an Undead Bone Shard´and close to what I assume is the boss door that needs the three fires), and went up a ladder and killed a Stray/Taurus demon looking thing but that was a dead end except for a bunch of treasure.

There are just too many paths to explore. There's a god damn giant crab here which I have to fight in deep water(?), there are those big giant things with trees as weapons, there's basilisks, there's poison waters and deep waters where I move slowly.

Any tips for finding the right path and how to deal in general? I'm wearing the poison res ring and my most poison resistant gear. I'm just mentally exhausted after going through this area for probably two hours and barely making progress...
The door you are looking for is located by one of the bonfires you unlock in the area. The bonfire is by one of the fires you put out. Across a small bridge/ path/ walkway coming from the fire, there should be 3 of those goat posion dudes on the small bridge.

myco666

They are absolutely terrible because they never tell you what to do to progress the quest or even what they (the NPCs) are on to. As such it's on pure luck that you come across them at the right time at the right place.

There is absolutely no way to exhaust the game's content just by playing without using a guide. Unless you play the game multiple times trying to see and do everything and do entire playthrough s to see what kind of effect choosing that one dialogue differently had..which is what the guide creators did.

Anris quest isn't even the worst. Seigwards questline will fail if you go right instead of left at a certain point. There is zero indication that this would somehow relate to his quest at all.

Robiin

The door you are looking for is located by one of the bonfires you unlock in the area. The bonfire is by one of the fires you put out. Across a small bridge/ path/ walkway coming from the fire, there should be 3 of those goat posion dudes on the small bridge.
Yeah, I found this bonfire, and the door. It's just I only have one fire lit and it is the one across the bridge by the bonfire. Maybe I need to explore in the other direction from the starting bonfire...

Just beat the final boss at 20 hours, level 84. Overall, I enjoyed it just as much as the others. I actually like Bloodborne more than the Souls series though. Something about the setting of that one really drew me in.

Anyway, sticking around in the first play through before going to the second. Looking over the forum I'm noticing a lot of talk of the Nameless king being cool and the most difficult boss in the game. I'm assuming it's in a hidden area. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

nOoblet16

you aren't supposed to end all questlines successfully.
that is why there are all the events, where NPCs turn hostil on you, or die, or what ever.
I'm not really talking about ending all questline completely though. Yuria's quest can't be completed if you do Anri's quest...that makes sense and I am not complaining about that.

I'm complaining about how ridiculously the quests are implemented in the Souls games that it's mostly just luck.

Ogawa-san

Anris quest isn't even the worst. Seigwards questline will fail if you go right instead of left at a certain point. There is zero indication that this would somehow relate to his quest at all.
The
well
part in Siegward's is where it jumped the shark for me. I mean, you
wouldn't go near the well while progressing through the cathedral. And that's after having to reload the place to make Patches appear near the bridge, which is related to both of their quests.

So basically, if you do everything right, you'll break the quest.

It's one of the things I just don't understand why people so gleefully put up with in Souls games.

p3n

The invincible rolling. Without the ring
Was never this bad before

Fair enough. I think FROM increased the i-frames of the roll in pvp to counter the good old phantom hits from DkS2. What I observed until now is the combo hitwindow to punish mistimed rolls ranges from very tight on the longest weapons to non-existent for most of the short ones.

nOoblet16

Yea, I Know. Luckily I did it right because I had summons with me and as such I wasn't allowed to go into that area on the right.

Quest spoiler related to another ridiculous part about his quest.
But I wouldn't even have progressed it that far if someone didn't tell me that he gets stuck in an ordinary looking well in a corner that most would ignore. I found Patches in Firelink so it was easy for me to just get stuff from him. But apparently the other way is to open the boss door and teleport to another area, then come back for both Seigward and Patches to spawn...wtf? Who would come back again to that place of all the other places?

And the fact that the dumbfuck Seigward doesn't even tell you that some stole his armour, just that he lost it. If he gives a description or even tells me that someone stole if then you know I can use it to find out the person who stole it.

Just ridiculous.

mxgt

Banned
Anyway, sticking around in the first play through before going to the second. Looking over the forum I'm noticing a lot of talk of the Nameless king being cool and the most difficult boss in the game. I'm assuming it's in a hidden area. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You need to use the
Dragon Gesture you get after Oceiros in Consumed Garden. The hidden area entry location is Irithyll Dungeon, as you enter the large room with loads of Jailers and Karla go left towards the lift and use the gesture at the dragon statue

The
well
wouldn't go near the well while progressing through the cathedral. And that's after having to reload the place to make Patches appear near the bridge, which is related to both of their quests.

It's one of the things I just don't understand why people so gleefully put up with in Souls games.

Apparently, you need to meet
Patches
to proceed Siegward quest?

Guess what, I never met him, even when I was where I am supposed to.

How the fuck can I know I have to reload the area if he doesn't appear?

Frustrating.

ISee

Crusifixion
Woods (not the
Cathedral of the
Deep):

The whole area is supposed to make you mentally exhausted. I know it's not a big encouragement but we all felt that way. It's an asshole area and in before gafs typical but 'it's easy and I'm really gud because I think it's easy stuff'...
It may be easy, once you get the hang out of it but I had no fun in there, especially because of the slow movement, it felt like a huge waste of my time and it made exploration (on of the big souls pillars imo) boring. Still some tips how to get a bit better/more easy through the area:

- Equip the Brigand Twindaggers. While dual wielding you can use them to quickstep repeatedly. This will use up your FP/mana but you can keep on using it even when out of FP. Makes the whole deep water parts at least tolerable.

- Ignore the crab and the giants and come back later to take your revenge. (and to get
the Black Bow of Pharis if you want it
)

- The areas layout is actually not that complicated. Just rush through it a couple of times, you'll learn it pretty quick.

- You don't need poison resist stuff. You'll get poisoned anyway and it's not really a big deal (at least here).

nOoblet16

The
well

They are easily the most poorly designed part of Souls games and they've been doing it for 5 games now.

BB was a bit better because it was simpler and you run into most in order due to the game's slightly linear structure. But it was more because they cut down and removed stuff rather than making it better.

You need to use the
Dragon Gesture you get after Oceiros in Consumed Garden. The hidden area entry location is Irithyll Dungeon, as you enter the large room with loads of Jailers and Karla go left towards the lift and use the gesture at the dragon statue

Wow I would've never figure that out. Thanks dude

myco666

The
well

Yeah that is really bad.
He should be in the well immediately when you arrive there instead of after you have explored that entire area and have no need to explore it again. Also they should make his dialog trigger further away so that you realize there is somebody close by instead of accidentally stumbling upon him.

Yea, I Know. Luckily I did it right because I had summons with me and as such I wasn't allowed to go into that area on the right.

Quest spoiler related to another ridiculous part about his quest.
But I wouldn't even have progressed it that far if someone didn't tell me that he gets stuck in an ordinary looking well in a corner that most would ignore. I found Patches in Firelink so it was easy for me to just get stuff from him. But apparently the other way is to open the boss door and teleport to another area, then come back for both Seigward and Patches to spawn...wtf? Who would come back again to that place of all the other places?

And the fact that the dumbfuck Seigward doesn't even tell you that some stole his armour, just that he lost it. If he gives a description or even tells me that someone stole if then you know I can use it to find out the person who stole it.

Just ridiculous.

Having to complete a area before you get to interact with NPCs in that area is really dumb.

Mutombo

Patches

Frustrating.

I did not meet patches or siegward at cathedral, but I still cleared siegwards quest.

At least I think I did;
I freed him from the prison and got a titanite slab?

Mendrox

So activating poise for everyone and buffing magic would make the game a 10/10 for me. Also fixing some covenant rewards, but I can live with that.

BeeDog

Some good progress today, I guess. Defeated Pontiff Sulyvahn on my first try (with two NPC phantoms to distract him, mind you) and offed those two croco-wolves on my third try. I feel like I'm getting a grip of Soulsborne yet again.

Robot Pants

Also, phantom hits.

Phantom hits all over. Sucks to be rolling away from spears and halberds, to VISUALLY see you're in the clear, only to get hit and die to said hit.
Yep. I've been starting to think its me but no way man.
I've got tons of videos I need to upload. Maybe someone can tell me if its normal or not. Some are just unbelievable

Fair enough. I think FROM increased the i-frames of the roll in pvp to counter the good old phantom hits from DkS2. What I observed until now is the combo hitwindow to punish mistimed rolls ranges from very tight on the longest weapons to non-existent for most of the short ones.
Yea I'm rocking a short weapon and I can't hit SHIIIIIIIT. It's ridiculous

myco666

I did not meet patches or siegward at cathedral, but I still cleared siegwards quest.

At least I think I did;

That is not the end of his quest.
End of his questline has him join you to fight Yhorm.

nOoblet16

Yeah that is really bad.
He should be in the well immediately when you arrive there instead of after you have explored that entire area and have no need to explore it again. Also they should make his dialog trigger further away so that you realize there is somebody close by instead of accidentally stumbling upon him.

Having to complete a area before you get to interact with NPCs in that area is really dumb.
Or you know, have him shout/hum/make noise when you are around...because you know that's how you figure out somebody's somewhere.

Demoskinos

Patches

Frustrating.

Yeah, a lot of the triggers for quests are really finicky. I think the upcoming patch is supposed to fix that.

Crusifixion
Woods (not the
Cathedral of the
Deep):

When you first enter the zone from the starting bonfire you will see a fire on a small island to your left. Go there and you'll see another fire on a small island a little further. The critical path is mostly achieved by following these fires. I avoided the basilisk area which was to the right side when you first start the zone. I think the only way to clear that area of all it's items is with suicide runs.

At least I think I did;

I would not call that "clear". You may or may not have gotten the final reward but you miss all the good parts in between. Siegward is a bro and I want to hang with him.

If what I read is correct then
you did not get what you should if you actually clear it properly.

Yeah, a lot of the triggers for quests are really finicky. I think the upcoming patch is supposed to fix that.

Unless they add tons of dialogue to actually fix the obscurity of these quests, the underlying problem remains. But I guess it's still better than having to reload areas just to make characters to show up when they should.

Oh, yeah, something I forgot to ask. Why would I want to dunk my head in wax in the
Grand Archives
?

I did it every single time, but I have no idea what it achieves. Does it make me stronger against sorcery or something?

Leezard

Oh, yeah, something I forgot to ask. Why would I want to dunk my head in wax in the
Grand Archives
?

I did it every single time, but I have no idea what it achieves. Does it make me stronger against sorcery or something?

Someone said it makes the hands (you know which ones) stop attacking you.

Having a NPC questline related question, it involves an Unbreakable one, an On
ion Bro
, and the thief
Greirat

SPOILER

I just "unlocked" Patches, and now the good old Siegward is sitting in a well, waiting for some wardrobe support.

Now, if i understood correctly, Patches took his armor and is selling it, if you didn't kill him for being a backstabbing arsehole. So obviously, in order to progress on Siegwards quest, i need to buy his armor.

But i read about Greirats questline, and it states that for him in order to survive his second scavenger-run, Patches needs to know where he went and has to have Siegward's armor.

Now, to the question, do i have to choose wether to progress Siegwards or Greirats questlines, or is it possible to keep both of them going?
Because i think that Siegwards will die sooner or later if the armor is not given back, guess it has some boss / area related trigger. But Greirat won't set out on his second scavenger-run at the moment.

About my progress, i'm right before the Boss of the Cathedral of the Deep.

/SPOILER

Thanks in advance.

pa22word

What's a good farming loop for Vertebra Shackles? I've been killing the 2 guys directly off of the Catacombs bonfire and resetting.

Man it's so frustrating, I've been trying to do it via invades but every time it's at least 2 people usually 3, and Australian lag means 90% of the time my weapon goes straight through someone without damaging. I only need 10 Shackles and I'm done with all but Darkmoon which can wait.

As long as you're remotely decent at PVP, fight clubs are the BEST way to farm shackles as you don't explicitly need to kill the host to get a shackle. Put your red summon sign down (invading/white soapstone will get you nowhere but a world of pain because people are often trying to draw MMs into games in order to farm shackles themselves) at high wall of lothric, PS, or Great Belfry bonfires and whoop some ass. I got all 30 shackles in about 2 hours this way.

Khezu

lol Sacred Flame also makes
Abyss walkers
a joke as well.

It doesn't seem to infinitely stun lock him though, but once you do it, you can instantly do another, but it doesn't do the full animation and he can get away, but he takes full damage.
It's really easy to land on him as well.

Only took 4 hits and he was gone.

mxgt

Banned
Amazing how much easier
Pontiff
was the second time around once I adapted to parrying in this game.
Back off, bait ranged lunge, easy parry.

myco666

Having a NPC questline related question, it involves an Unbreakable one, an On
ion Bro
, and the thief
Greirat

SPOILER

I just "unlocked" Patches, and now the good old Siegward is sitting in a well, waiting for some wardrobe support.

Now, if i understood correctly, Patches took his armor and is selling it, if you didn't kill him for being a backstabbing arsehole. So obviously, in order to progress on Siegwards quest, i need to buy his armor.

But i read about Greirats questline, and it states that for him in order to survive his second scavenger-run, Patches needs to know where he went and has to have Siegward's armor.

Now, to the question, do i have to choose wether to progress Siegwards or Greirats questlines, or is it possible to keep both of them going?
Because i think that Siegwards will die sooner or later if the armor is not given back, guess it has some boss / area related trigger. But Greirat won't set out on his second scavenger-run at the moment.

About my progress, i'm right before the Boss of the Cathedral of the Deep.

/SPOILER

Thanks in advance.

You can keep them both going. Just give Seigward his armor and send Greirat to get more stuff when he asks if you want him to do so.

pa22word

Also, shames me to say it, but I really do think they butchered poise in order to get greatsword users to use weapon arts. The only time I can ever tank hits and not stagger like I did in DS1/2 is if I stance through hits.

I hope they just admit that FP is a (mostly) failed mechanic and give us back the old system that didn't need fixing >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom