• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been watching Horse Detective struggle with the first boss for hours. He's never played a souls game so its pretty hilarious watching someone brand new to the series try to understand the battle system and figure out the mechanics.

Straight up giving me ptsd from when i first played Dark Souls 1 and lost my shit trying to take on that first boss.

The Flash

Banned
Wow...so I guess Mad Phantoms are those that you summon for PVP? lol guess thats what I get for being curious.

7d6.jpg

Timeaisis

Just finished
Nameles king.
That is one of the worst designed boss fights. The second phase is great and a lot of fun but the first phase has one of the worst cameras ever. So much so that you have to play the game a particular way so that the boss does not
go to the sky
ever so often. How did this not get play tested ? This is the first time in a long time that the camera has actually hindered my enjoyment of the fight so much. There have been camera problems in souls bosses in the past but this is just unforgivable.

Cool atmosphere and design though but that is about it.

TBH, it would probably make top 5 boss fights of all time if it weren't for the first phase. You learn how to beat it, sure, but still, feels like RNG with that camera and his moveset. Let me just skip to the good bits, dammit. I can't learn a moveset if I keep getting randomly one-shotted by way of shitty camera in the first phase. That is the opposite of fun.

Griss

All I had left in the game was three bosses (late game spoilers obviously):
Spin Doctors
;
Nameless King
and
Soul of Cinder

The first one (
the princes
) took me like 25 tries. And what was frustrating was that it seemed so easy! I had the pattern down, I'd get to the very end of the fight, and I'd make some stupid mistake that cost me everything. One time I just needed one more hit, and I kicked by mistake, and then he killed me. Tough part was that two hits were enough to do me in, so at any point he could kill me. I barely needed to use Estus. But the feeling of satisfaction when he went down was great.

Then the
Nameless King
. Well, I figured out the first part after which it's a breeze. You don't even get hit. If the camera is bugging you (like it did me) then you aren't fighting him the right way. It's that simple. The second phase, though. God damn. So after three goes of that I thought 'Now this one, this is impossible. If I couldn't beat the other guys for ages, I'll be here for weeks.' Very next try? Down he falls. If you're struggling with this guy, let me tell you something:
Your bow is your friend. Never been happier to have a +10 Bow of Pharis in my whole life. The bow saved my ass so many times in this game. Granted I have a Dex of 45, but still.

And now to the last guy. I should have known that
his health bar was just a first form. It was so easy! And on my third attempt I nearly had his second form too.
He really doesn't seem that bad at all - he gives plenty of time to heal. Hopefully I get him before the night is true.

Really glad that I'll have been able to beat the last stretch without summons, meaning the only two I caved on were
Abyss Watchers
and the
Pontiff
. And in the end the boss I died the second most to was Vordt, lol.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
What? He's fine if you just don't lock on.

No he is not. The camera still screws up when
he goes up
because you cannot move the camera beyond a certain point. If you mean he is fine as in he is doable then yeah sure. Once you figure it out its not too hard. But a good boss fight is one where it is enjoyable fighting the boss. The first phase is just not enjoyable at all.

TBH, it would probably make top 5 boss fights of all time if it weren't for the first phase. You learn how to beat it, sure, but still, feels like RNG with that camera and his moveset. Let me just skip to the good bits, dammit. I can't learn a moveset if I keep getting randomly one-shotted by way of shitty camera in the first phase. That is the opposite of fun.

Yeah. What a waste of a wonderful setting with such a shitty first phase. This had the opportunity to be Ludwig tier but alas..

Griss

he goes up
because you cannot move the camera beyond a certain point. If you mean he is fine as in he is doable then yeah sure. Once you figure it out its not too hard. But a good boss fight is one where it is enjoyable fighting the boss. The first phase is just not enjoyable at all.

Yeah. What a waste of a wonderful setting with such a shitty first phase. This had the opportunity to be Ludwig tier but alas..

Once you know what you're doing the first phase is fine, and he's lucky to be able to
take off
even once. But you're right, that doesn't make it good. I don't even like the arena, and I didn't like the second phase either. Not a great boss, imo. Both
Dragonslayer Armour
and
Champion Gundyr
were far more fun 1 on 1s.

JDB

Banned
he goes up
You mean when he does the circling attack or the one where he goes up and breathes fire straight down? I didn't feel like either were a problem camera-wise unless you were straight underneath him which you shouldn't do anyway.

I can definitely see the camera issue with the A
rch
D
ragon
when you fight him the normal way, but I really didn't have issues with the boss you're talking about.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Once he goes up you know the fire is coming. Anyone who has beaten Kalameet knows how to deal with it since he had the exact same move. Just run away immediately. He only does that move if you stay under him to hit his feet. Hitting the head is superior.

pa22word

Fucking hell, that
Darkwraith
went to town on phase one. I knew they were badasses but that's ridiculous
I should start posting this video every time I hear someone has trouble with that fight.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how anyone who's played a souls game before just doesn't walk over that fight. You can straight up walk up to him and hammer him till your stamina is depleted walk away and heal, then do it again and he's dead due to how easy he staggers.

You can really rack up the sunlight medals with the fight against Y
horm the Giant.

One of the times I helped, the host
summoned two others with Storm Rulers each, we fucking TRASHED Yhorm in 10 seconds. Shit was hilarious

N° 2048

Dagger weapon art ability makes moving in swamp fairly painless.

Game changer wow, thanks so much. Made it a breeze to scope out the place better.

20 hours I'm at the Cathedral and holy shit those
two giants
are scary.
Found the NPC to
respec
too but is it safe to join her?

JDB

Banned
Why do I even bother with PVP? Half the time the connection is utter shite and whoever gets the most delayed hits in wins. It's fucking stupid.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Game changer wow, thanks so much. Made it a breeze to scope out the place better.

20 hours I'm at the Cathedral and holy shit those
two giants
are scary.
Found the NPC to
respec
too but is it safe to join her?

No it isnt. It auto fails the
Sirrius quest and can lock you out of Mound Makers if you didnt use the cage method early in the game

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm sad we can get some of the palette swap armors in the game as drops. I want the blue
lothric knight and cathedral knight outfit
as well as the white
jailer
outfit from the
shrine handmaidens.

Finished NG+

My boss deaths:

Iudex Gundyr:
Vordt of the Boreal Valley:
Curse-rotted Greatwood:
Crystal Sage:
Deacons of the Deep:
Abyss Watchers:
High Lord Wolnir:
Pontiff Sulyvahn:
Old Demon King:
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods:
Yhorm the Giant:
Dancer of the Boreal Valley:
Dragonslayer Armour:
Oceiros, The Consumed King:
Champion Gundyr:
Lothric, Younger Prince:
Ancient Wyvern:
Nameless King:
Soul of Cinder:

Great improvement with N
ameless
K
ing
. Had around 20 deaths to him in my first playthrough.

RedSwirl

So what's going on with Anri?
I haven't seen them at all since the first encounter in the Catacombs. I'll just lay out a full timeline of events for what I did.

--Met Yole
--Got 5 free levels from Yole
--Met Yuria
--Met Anri and Horace at the halfway fortress.
--Got unhollowed
--Killed Yuria
--Met Anri and Horace at Firelink Shrine
--Met Anri in the early part of the Catacombs. Hadn't seen Horace so I told them "no."
--Killed Wolnir
--Met and killed Horace in Smoldering Lake.
--Killed Old Demon King
--Forgot about the disguised pilgrim by the time I got to the Church of Yorshka bonfire. Went back recently and found no one there, not even disguised.
--Killed Pontiff
--Didn't see anybody in Darkmoon temple, just a normal corpse (I forgot what item it held). I don't know if that corpse is always supposed to be there, it looked like all the other shriveled ones.
--Didn't see Anri's summon sight in front of the Anor Londo door.

And that's where I am now.

Khezu

Whips still kinda suck.
But they are still fun with a pyro build.

Also hoping they would have cleaned up it's attack animations a bit, I get what they are trying to go for with like a whipcrack, but it just looks kinda bad.

Stat!

The MP in this game is awful. Just too much lag. I'll be 10 feet away and get kicked and stabbed. Or 15 feet away and hit by a dagger.

Ogawa-san

No it isnt. It auto fails the
Sirrius quest and can lock you out of Mound Makers if you didnt use the cage method early in the game
It's safe to join, you just can't
equip the covenant item or offer a tongue, or Sirrius gets angry

Whips still kinda suck.
I feel they suck because the R2 range is like, Threaded Cane's whip levels of wide. But then again, the cane didn't suck...

MilkBeard

So what's going on with Anri?
I haven't seen them at all since the first encounter in the Catacombs. I'll just lay out a full timeline of events for what I did.

--Met Yole
--Got 5 free levels from Yole
--Met Yuria
--Met Anri and Horace at the halfway fortress.
--Got unhollowed
--Killed Yuria
--Met Anri and Horace at Firelink Shrine
--Met Anri in the early part of the Catacombs. Hadn't seen Horace so I told them "no."
--Killed Wolnir
--Met and killed Horace in Smoldering Lake.
--Killed Old Demon King
--Forgot about the disguised pilgrim by the time I got to the Church of Yorshka bonfire. Went back recently and found no one there, not even disguised.
--Killed Pontiff
--Didn't see anybody in Darkmoon temple, just a normal corpse (I forgot what item it held). I don't know if that corpse is always supposed to be there, it looked like all the other shriveled ones.
--Didn't see Anri's summon sight in front of the Anor Londo door.

And that's where I am now.
You dun fucked up on multiple counts.

tcrunch

Here's a really good interview with Miyazaki from the Taiwan press event this weekend.
Nice translation by a Reddit user.

Sorry if it's already been posted, but there's some good stuff in there regarding the game, and Miyazaki's stance on sequels, upcoming titles, etc.

Not sure why but this post was deleted - I still had it open so here is a copypasta:

"On April 23rd, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Taiwan invited Hidetaka Miyazaki to Taiwan for a press event. Taiwan gaming site GNN asked him several questions.

Source link - http://gnn.gamer.com.tw/2/130902.html

I will try to translate a few key questions. My Chinese is not very good so feel free to correct me.

Q: The central theme of Dark Souls is fire. Fire represents life and death. Why did you choose fire as the symbol of the game?

A: There are two reasons for this. We didn't use light as the symbol of the game because light gives off an 'absolute' kind of vibe. It represents strong and unwavering positive imagery. Fire, compared to light, gives people an unreal and wavering impression. Fire also represents dual properties like hot and cold, light and dark, life and death. The uncertainty of Fire is more suited to the world of Dark Souls in my mind.

Q: Previously, the protagonist was called 'Undead', in Dark Souls 3 he/she is called 'Unkindled'. What is the difference between the two?

A: Dark Souls 1's protagnist is Undead, its story is about linking the fire. But Dark Souls 3 depicts the Undeads who didn't succeed in linking the fire and become cinder, but failed and burned to nothing. Unkindled is born out of their remaining ashes. Unkindled exist to inherit the past and put an end to this cumulative tale.

Q: Dark Souls is known for its difficulty. How did you balance the game so players can feel the high difficulty but won't give up because of it?

A: When I balance games, I always emphasize on fairness over difficulty. I will not punish the player for no reason. For example when I'm placing enemies, I will not put a lot of enemies on a dead end road to overwhelm the player. I would put them in a blind spot to ambush the players who aren't careful. So player would feel: 'oh it's my fault I died here, but I can do this if I try again'. Let players learn from their mistakes, overcome obstacles and feel the sense of accomplishment.

Q: But people feel in Dark Souls 3 the difficulty of boss battles was toned down. Was the difficulty adjusted this time?

A: Indeed, we've received feedback that Bloodborne early game was too difficult and many inexperienced players were frustrated. Therefore Dark Souls 3 early game difficulty was toned down to guide players into the game. Of course veterans will feel it's too easy but they should be satisfied with late game difficulty.

Q: Is there any plan to collect feedback and make adjustments in the form of updates?

A: Of course we are always balancing the game. In fact we have several updates out already. But game balancing is very difficult and we often receive harsh feedback from the players. But we will keep listening and make adjustment as needed. The latest update will be out in a few weeks.

Q: How many DLCs will there be?

A: We will make three large DLCs as planned. First one will be out in Fall 2016, Second one in Early 2017, Third one doesn't have a date yet.

Q: Many story elements in Dark Souls 3 directly relate to the first game. Did you envision there will be sequels when you were first designing Dark Souls 1?

A: Actually one of my hobbies is to design settings and lore. When I was making the first game I already had the whole picture in my mind. The entire design is pretty big and it took three games to fit everything in. Honestly I didn't know we could go all the way to the third game.

Q: I know you said there won't be any sequels and Dark Souls 3 marks the end of the series. But is this world really coming to an end? Is there a chance there would be some kind of DLC, spin-offs or tie-in novels set in this world?

A: Dark Souls 3 will be have several DLCs like previous games. But there's absolutely no plan right now for any sequels, spin-offs or tie-ins. But I can't say for certain the possibility is 0%.

For example, if a FROM Software developer come to me five years from now and beg 'please let me make another Dark Souls'. Then I will not rule out the possibility to let my subordinates start a new project.

What is certain for now is, to me personally Dark Souls is over. So rather than make another sequel, I think it's time we take a step to a new direction. Development of a new IP has already begun.

Q: In the industry, a popular serialized IP will always have many sequels to keep the 'momentum' going. What made you decide to stop this popular franchise?

A: Actually I don't think sequels is a bad thing. There are examples of a sequel becoming a great game by building on experiences gained from previous games. To have a popular franchise is a great thing. On the other hand, At what point do you stop a series? How do you do it? It's not an easy decision to make.

But for us, rather than making sequels, we FROM Software want to make new things and challenge the unknown. At the moment it's too early to tell if what we are doing is right, maybe the result will reveal itself in five or ten years from now.

Q: So we won't be seeing a Demons's Souls sequel or remaster any time soon?

A: We want to try making new things.

Q: What about Armored Core sequel?

A: Personally I want to do it. After all I was involved in three games in the series. Armored Core is one of the pillars of FROM Software's lineup, but I can't reveal anything at the moment.

Q: Souls series is over for now. What kind of experience has this journey been for you?

A: Looking back now, I think it's a fortunate and blessed journey. I was given an opportunity, I walked this path with BANDAI NAMCO, FROM Software team and the players together. There are many touching memories along the way. A game like Souls, where there's no map, you die in a few steps and nobody knows what's going on, for this game to become such a beloved franchise via word of mouth, I feel like I'm such a lucky man. These past six, seven years is a treasured time period for me. I couldn't even imagine where I am today ten years ago. For this journey to not go to waste, I'm going on another fortunate journey and make better games to repay people's support.

Q: Miyazaki is not just a game direct but the president of FROM as well. People love your games very much but does the responsibilities of company president hinder your involvement in game development in the future?

A: I can guarantee, I will stay as a game director for at least another five years. To be honest I entered the game industry not because I want to be a president, but because I like to make games. I find making games more fun. If I'm not allowed to make games then I rather not be a president.

Of course, as a president I make necessary decisions and judgement. It might be cliched but FROM Software is a great company. Because BANDAI NAMCO and SIE and our parent company Kadokawa are very good to us, I can just focus on making games and let other people handle president affairs. I really appreciate everyone's forgiveness for letting me do this.

Q: What's your definition of 'game'? What does 'game' mean to you?

A: I think fundamentally game is built on 'action'. For example, pressing a button on the controller call be called an 'action', but if there's a purpose for this action of pressing buttons, then it's called a 'game'. An action without an purpose can only be called 'work', action with purpose brings 'possibilities'.

I think games should let players discover possibilities and feel a sense of accomplishment. This kind of experience can only be achieved with games. That is why I'm so enthralled by making games and often lose myself in it."

Risible

Had an awesome invasion today. I summon someone for
Wolnir
and we get the notice a mad phantom has invaded.

We chase him and it's obvious he's going to try the cut down the rope bridge trick on us. We keep pace with him and we are all neck and neck on the bridge and he slashed the rope early sending us all (he hoped) to our deaths.

Except we were far enough over that we fell on to the ledge near the
fire demon
. Better yet, we had both targeted him and hit attack on the way down so it turned into a double plunging attack from both of us.

It was super awesome to end the fight with this huge drop into a chasm only to hit the ground with the force of God's fist on top of this guy as he was instantly slaughtered with a sound like booming thunder.

jamesfrancosogood.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Whips still kinda suck.

Also hoping they would have cleaned up it's attack animations a bit, I get what they are trying to go for with like a whipcrack, but it just looks kinda bad.

Whip were a great secondary in DS2. Especially in poison builds. Also I think DS3 has the best use of the bleed in the series, both on weapons and on enemies. I've actually had to use red moss, which is new.

Wagram

Uhh what?

A: We will make three large DLCs as planned. First one will be out in Fall 2016, Second one in Early 2017, Third one doesn't have a date yet.

Season pass only states two.

Shmuppers

Uhh what?

Season pass only states two.

Confused on this as well. Pretty sure it's just two. Would love 3 though, and I guess they set a precedent for 3 with DS2. We'll see.

2AdEPT

Phantom range lag in fights really suck. :(

yeah fore sure, I opened my big mouth saying that it wasn't a problem for me but them the other day I got a string of multiplayer that trivialized the bosses for the host as the "guest" phantom was invincible...then I got killed by a phantom that was just planing and not moving its legs an arms..very frustrating.

General DLC sales theory aside, if it exists in the industry, so be it, I want more of this round of Souls...new content is fun. As always though its tough to find the happy medium...I want a challenge to figure stuff out, but at the same time it cant be too obscure so that I am forced to use a wiki...I have been forced with this iteration....some shit is just too hard to stumble on. Both playthroughs now I haven't seen patches at all in the cathedral of the deep. (Although I did see him in someone else's multiplayer) I was even trying on my 2nd character and it didn't work...the Prima guide says to "open the big doors, leave and then come back" WTF does that mean? LEave the area leave the whole game? Whatever I did wasn't right. THe Prima guide is a downgrade from the future Press for sure, and I'm not even an ENB fanboy. This is game would be a nightmare to get it all right on in one shot....good thing I like it enough that I am motivated enough to do multiple playthroughs. I really prefer to get most NPC stuff right the virgin run though...rarely works in souls owing to the obscurity. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom