• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rod

So I'm approaching the end it seems, missing some estus shards, if I go back now will they be there or are some locked out when you progress?

I think they are all items laying around the world, so they should be there regardless of story progression.

Mendrox

Tactic for Ald
rich
:

Just attack him till he burns and dodge everything by just rolling rolling rolling all day

2nd Phase

Do the same thing and hunt him when he disappears
Run in a circle when he uses his "almost" instakill arrow attack

GG.

3rd easiest boss for me.

So, very late-game spoilers.

Just killed the twins and i have to place the ashes in the throne, is this the point of no return?

There is no such thing. Keep playing.

LiK

I think I'm almost done with the the game and I haven't been invaded once by a player. Only NPCs. Played online and Embered. Guess I'm lucky cuz I hate invasions lol

sora87

I think they are all items laying around the world, so they should be there regardless of story progression.

You can always go back and collect all of the Estus and bone shards. None become unavailable later.

Ok cool.

Don't know if I even wanna try
Nameless King
going off what people are saying in here :p might just go ahead and try finish the game tonight

Cracklox

Calling it a night at L
orian

Tried a couple of times, and got to the second phase on the last go. Wasn't too bad, except I used a bow the 1st phase and that was cake with some well timed dodges. Something tells me though a bow isn't the best way too go in phase 2. Something with a little more aoe perhaps...

Tarin02543

ok I caved in, originally I was going to wait out after summer to buy this game but at 44€ I just could not not buy it (physical PC copy)

here we go!

Ok cool.

Don't know if I even wanna try
Nameless King
going off what people are saying in here :p might just go ahead and try finish the game tonight
He's definitely a bit overrated when it comes to difficulty. Your biggest challenge in phase 1 is
the camera
, and how well you do in phase 2 depends on
how well you've done against sword wielding bosses throughout the game. The tactic here is the same - time your rolls and you can avoid all attacks.

Tactic for Ald
rich
:

Just attack him till he burns and dodge everything by just rolling rolling rolling all day

2nd Phase

Do the same thing and hunt him when he disappears
Run in a circle when he uses his "almost" instakill arrow attack

GG.

3rd easiest boss for me.

There is no such thing. Keep playing.

Honestly I get why people have had trouble with
Aldrich
. You're strategy worked for me as well, but this boss definitely gave me the most trouble so far, and it came right after
Sylivan
which made it worse as that one was fairly frustrating as well although not as much. The 2nd phase one shot BS archer attack mixed with the staff blast was annoying. I'm on
Dancer
now but only took 1 shot at it before needing to get off.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
Are you starting a new character? Knight with a fire gem is a good friendly choice. The knight starts with a 100% physical resistance shield. The fire gem will do good dmg and stagger. It doesn't scale with strength or dex so you won't have to "worry" about leveling those up at first but you should still over time. That will let you priorities other stats that might be more helpful to new players such as more hp and stamina.

Regardless you will eventually get the dodge and rolling down since later enemies' attacks will drain your stamina when you block. So it's better to avoid getting hit. But that's later in the game.

I recall reading somewhere that pyromancer is a good option as it isn't weak but would give me a ranged option is that a misnomer or just not entirely viable in the long term?
Like what are the pros and cons of knight vs pyromancer or similarly ranged characters?

lionpants

He's definitely a bit overrated when it comes to difficulty. Your biggest challenge in phase 1 is
the camera
how well you've done against sword wielding bosses throughout the game. The tactic here is the same - time your rolls and you can avoid all attacks.
I don't think he's overrated. Sure, he's not the hardest Souls boss for sure, but he's pretty tough and intimidating (in Phase 2). I've done 3.5 playthroughs and still don't feel as confident when fighting him compared to the other bosses.

Endgame questions:

I finished the game on NG, killed the two beasts near the pontiff, the three winged knights before princes, old demon king, ancient wyvern, and nameless king. Are there any other optional bosses I may have missed?

I'm good on weapons, but are there any awesome rings I may have missed for a dex user? I got the Hunter's ring, and Ring of Favor. Using roll obscuring and roll with more i frames rings along with the estus ring.

Anything else I should do before NG+? I know I need to trade in the coil for a slab.

Neoweee

the camera

I agree with this.

It is actually a pretty normal fight by Souls standards. Just make sure you fight it near the end of the game like you're supposed to. The basics will get you far (and adjusting your resistances always helps).

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
It's only now sinking in just how much I love this game. It is so rewarding to make progress. At the beginning I felt Souls fatigue, I guess, and honestly it took a couple hours to get over. 20 hours in now and I can't stop thinking about the game.

Anyone experience anything similar?

lionpants

Endgame questions:

I finished the game on NG, killed the two beasts near the pontiff, the three winged knights before princes, old demon king, ancient wyvern, and nameless king. Are there any other optional bosses I may have missed?

I'm good on weapons, but are there any awesome rings I may have missed for a dex user? I got the Hunter's ring, and Ring of Favor. Using roll obscuring and roll with more i frames rings along with the estus ring.

Anything else I should do before NG+? I know I need to trade in the coil for a slab.
I'm assuming you've beaten
Oceiros
for the gesture? If so, try looking more throughly in the shrine room after his fight. ;)

Guevara

Mid game (?) area S
moldering
L
ake
seemed kind of pointless.

The boss fight was ok, I picked up a few unique items, but I don't really get the point of the area and it was one of the uglier zones. Tons of pointless, copy-and-paste hallways, annoying enemies, and ultimately a dead end. I guess I also don't care about the Lost Izalith fan service, since it too was a lame area.

And those fucking jumping goatmen.

Veelk

Banned
I was at your shoes and had issues with the bosses. If you want my advice ditch the greatsword and level a straight sword. Right now greatswords are slow and aren't worth the miniscule extra damage they do. I leveled fully a broadsword and had a super easy time the whole game after I ditched my zweihander, it was doing enough damage yes but not enough to compencate for the slow speed.

Can't, I'm married to it. It's stupid though. Bloodborne was my first souls game and this is my second. I think I'd still like Bloodborne better in general, but this playthrough with it's playstyle has left me with an extremely sour taste in my mouth for DS3, and now I'm not nearly as eager play this game again or the others. I was looking forward to my Guts inspired build so much too, so having it be so weak is quite disappointing.

They were a bitch during my greatsword play-through as well, whereas most bosses were pretty easy. There's very few moments where it's safe to take a swing. Ensure
he
has completely finished a combo before swinging. When the
brother
comes in to the fight, try and swing from behind to hit them both with each swing.

In the end, I resorted to rolling R1 attacks because they were so much faster with the greatsword I was using

Yeah, that was my general strategy too, but I don't have the timing down on his attacks yet. He seems to hit me a second earlier than I keep expecting him to. And his teleport spam is outright insufferable when I lose track of him.

Like I said, this one is going to be a bitch of a fight. And it's not helped that the trek between it and the last bon fire is stupidly long and filled with a bunch of tough enemies.

Endgame questions:

You've already got the GOAT ring
more I-frames
and beaten all of the optional bosses. If you've already maxed your Estus and Bonfire levels, just make sure you buy any late game spells or blacksmithing ingredients because they won't be available let for purchase in NG+ until you find the corresponding ashes again.

Sephzilla

Beat the game last night and after letting it sink in a little bit, I think Dark Souls 3 is my favorite of the three Dark Souls games specifically. The bosses from top to bottom are pretty solid and fun. Visually the game is really nice on the eyes. The gameplay feels pretty polished and tight. Most of the weapons I've come across feel viable.

Dark Souls 3 is the most linear of the three games in terms of progression through the game's world, but what it loses in open world freedom it gains in level/zone design. Dark Souls 3 has some really great level designs that invoke memories of the best of Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls. Plus the actual levels themselves are a lot more varied and interesting than DS2's levels. And Dark Souls 3's levels felt like the stayed solid as the game reached completion, which is a big difference from Dark Souls 1 which has a big drop off around Anor Londo.

Steel

Banned
It's only now sinking in just how much I love this game. It is so rewarding to make progress. At the beginning I felt Souls fatigue, I guess, and honestly it took a couple hours to get over. 20 hours in now and I can't stop thinking about the game.

Anyone experience anything similar?

I expected souls fatigue. Then I held left trigger with a straight sword and it's been a blast ever since(I've been maining a falchion now. That L2-R2 combo against big groups. Mmmm...).

but the Ultra Greatswords are STR weapons no?

Curved ones are either dex or balanced.

Dahbomb

I have been playing with the Gutts sword from near start to finish, it's perfectly. I demolish most non boss enemies, against bosses I just have to up my dodge game and switch to 1h mode for faster attacks.

Mid game (?) area S
moldering
L
ake
seemed kind of pointless.

The boss fight was ok, I picked up a few unique items, but I don't really get the point of the area and it was one of the uglier zones. Tons of pointless, copy-and-paste hallways, annoying enemies, and ultimately a dead end. I guess I also don't care about the Lost Izalith fan service, since it too was a lame area.

And those fucking jumping goatmen.
It's basically just a
red chalice dungeon
ala Bloodborne.

I'm assuming you've beaten
Oceiros
for the gesture? If so, try looking more throughly in the shrine room after his fight. ;)

Yep, had to to get to
Archdragon Peak for Nameless King
, but thanks, I'll check that out.

more I-frames
and beaten all of the optional bosses. If you've already maxed your Estus and Bonfire levels, just make sure you buy any late game spells or blacksmithing ingredients because they won't be available let for purchase in NG+ until you find the corresponding ashes again.

That reminds me: What's the best farming spot? I want to farm chunks and souls for chunks.

I have been playing with the Gutts sword from near start to finish, it's perfectly. I demolish most non boss enemies, against bosses I just have to up my dodge game and switch to 1h mode for faster attacks.

Which is that?

Pejo

is the Great Scythe just as good a DEX weapon in DS3 as it was in DS2?

I tried to love it again, but it definitely doesn't hit as hard, and the start up being slower is definitely worse all around in this game. I ended up dropping it after a few hours.

I am genuinely surprised at how good the Brigand Twindaggers are. The L2 dash literally makes it possible for them to be good though. It's got insane iframes and gets you around and back in super quick. The L1 also seems to easily stagger every enemy that's not bigger than an elephant.

Quick question regarding weapon buff spells - Does infusing a weapon with ANY stone make it unable to be buffed with spells (ie Magic Weapon)? So far I've tried with the Dark, Fire, and Crystal infusions, and i'm unable to buff any of them. Kind of a bummer honestly. I'm still hoping that there's a chance that the one that increases DEX scaling will be able to still be buffed, but probably not.

Jellie

Endgame questions:

your can still fight Stray demon and champion gundyr and can make a ring from each of their souls

I tried to love it again, but it definitely doesn't hit as hard, and the start up being slower is definitely worse all around in this game. I ended up dropping it after a few hours.

I am genuinely surprised at how good the Brigand Twindaggers are. The L2 dash literally makes it possible for them to be good though. It's got insane iframes and gets you around and back in super quick. The L1 also seems to easily stagger every enemy that's not bigger than an elephant.

Quick question regarding weapon buff spells - Does infusing a weapon with ANY stone make it unable to be buffed with spells (ie Magic Weapon)? So far I've tried with the Dark, Fire, and Crystal infusions, and i'm unable to buff any of them. Kind of a bummer honestly. I'm still hoping that there's a chance that the one that increases DEX scaling will be able to still be buffed, but probably not.

I have a Sharp weapon that I buff with Magic Weapon all the time, so it works.

more I-frames
He is actually missing one optional boss.
champion gundyr

Sullichin

You can still buff a weapon if its infused with a physical gem (sharp, heavy, refined, hollow).

tariniel

I feel like I'm getting old now, guys (28). This game is amazing, I'm only around 12 hours in and it's really fun etc... but when I get home from work my brain just isn't ready for souls anymore. I think maybe it's the added stress of a blind first play-through but damn. I find myself wanting to start an alt to re-play the first 12 hours rather than continue progression, which feels weird.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I can't believe you had that many attempts. I legit beat him my second time. Could've beaten him the first time, but I got greedy with my hits.

You can't believe that someone found a Dark Souls boss difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom