• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
those monkey things that love jumping in the air and landing on top of you in Smouldering Lake and Farron Keep are really annoying...is there an easy way to kill them?

I found that if I walked toward them when they jumped, they would land behind me before blowing their curse breath in the wrong direction (to where I was standing before they jumped) while I wailed on them from behind. That seemed to work for me, when fighting them one at a time.

Sullichin

So true. I still feel that is this series weakest point in getting new players into pvp. Pvp can be quite fun in these games, but unfortunately most peoples first pvp experience is going to be some red invader doing all that he can to ruin your fun.

Oh, and I do hope I start seeing something else than estoc invaders in the future. Such a boring playstyle even as effective as it is.

Yes please! Was thinking of adding it as an offhand weapon to my BKGA build but they're just everywhere

zethren

Banned
Honestly if you're the one invading another player, I don't think you have any room to complain about anything the host does. Or any number of summons they might have. You're going into their game, that's the risk that you are taking.

I don't really care for invaders so maybe I'm biased. But as someone who doesn't care for PvP, I'm not going to stop what I'm doing and risk fighting you 1v1. I'll summon dudes and hopefully survive so I can go right back to what I was doing before you interrupted me.

The Pale Tongues were the easiest to farm. Vertebra Shackles will be the death of me. They have a 0.000008 change to drop in my world. I tend to also invade while farming but there is a great chance to run into a gank squad that demolishes my soul.

Farming... ugg.

Shackles are pretty easy to pvp for. Yeah you can run into gank squads, but you can also just use the red soap stone and get summoned right outside of the P
ontiff
fight over and over again. I have only run into a gank squad there one time and the rest of the time it's either a single person looking for a duel, or a fight club. Fight clubs are actually fine for purples too since you can get sent home from killing a few phantoms as well, unlike if you are trying to farm tongues there and only one the host duels. Like really, I wish that is where I farmed them. I did mine at the church bonfire down below and got them pretty fast, but had to deal with a few ganksquads.

Also if you get summoned with red soapstones you keep your hp, so make sure to be embered. You don't lose it upon dying as a summon either.

LiK

Honestly if you're the one invading another player, I don't think you have any room to complain about anything the host does. Or any number of summons they might have. You're going into their game, that's the risk that you are taking.

I don't really care for invaders so maybe I'm biased. But as someone who doesn't care for PvP, I'm not going to stop what I'm doing and risk fighting you 1v1. I'll summon dudes and hopefully survive so I can go right back to what I was doing before you interrupted me.

I had this same thought before I began invading for Mound-Makers to max rank cuz there's no other way to get Shackles in online play except to kill host or phantoms. But if it's such a chore then it's better to just farm enemies which I ended up doing in the end cuz PVP blows.

Also, red summoning sign? No thanks. I'm not into duels.

Bluenoser

What cracks me up is people moaning about this. Every invader I've seen bar one has used the mobs in the level to their advantage and drank estus like that shit was going out of style. You're damn skippy I'm going to summon the squad.

"Face me one on one! Well, one on one plus every monster in this level. Plus all my estus flasks. Plus I've optimized my build for PVP but you're playing PVE." Bullshit. If you invade you better be prepared for any dirty thing I can throw at you.

Yeah, but you know not every host plays that way. A lot of them are geared for PVP, drink estus, and have 1-3 phantoms for ganking. As an invader just trying to rank up in covenants, that shit is just not fun. I completely understand a host summoning help if he's trying to progress through the level, and someone unexpectedly invades. It's the hosts that wait around for invaders to gank them that piss me off. But then again, it's their choice- I am invading their game.

Luckily all covenant items can be farmed (albeit painfully) solo.

Invaders shouldn't complain, yeah. If they want a duel, join a fight club at the
Pontiff Sulyvahn
Bonfire - awesome place for PVP.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Just checking, can I have a quick yes or no from someone?

The asshole with the big hammer in the black armour from Undead Settlement has turned up in Firelink Shrine. Is he going to do a Yurt and start killing people?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just checking, can I have a quick yes or no from someone?

The asshole with the big hammer in the black armour from Undead Settlement has turned up in Firelink Shrine. Is he going to do a Yurt and start killing people?

If he's friendly, no.

As someone that loves invading, I agree. You can't just assume that people will play fair. I just know that I don't bust out the unfair stuff I can do as an invader unless the other people do something first. I don't heal unless you start to, and I don't use mobs unless there is a gank squad. And if there is one I make damn sure to make them earn the kill. Go ahead and use the giant seed, I'm just running around the entire map knowing that I'm probably not going to be able to kill the host if you have 2/3 other people with you.

Yep. Invaders can go fuck themselves, you want honor don't force yourself into my game with your "well thiiiis is how Miyazaki intends it to be" then tell me "but don't summon help/ignore you and go to the boss/use Estus". You come into my world without my say so, you get whatever I feel like throwing at you.

In my case beign invaded is like receiving unwanted relatives, they are probably happy with the situation but I just want to get over with it.

zethren

Banned
I had this same thought before I began invading for Mound-Makers to max rank cuz there's no other way to get Shackles in online play except to kill host or phantoms. But if it's such a chore then it's better to just farm enemies which I ended up doing in the end cuz PVP blows.

Also, red summoning sign? No thanks. I'm not into duels.

I definitely understand that, needing to do it for the PvP drops. Duels do seem to be the fairest way though, since the host has to initiate. But I imagine a lot of random folks don't activate the red signs they see.

Yeah I only really did the Invasions for Aldritch, Rosaria and Mound Makers. Feel a bit bad killing these poor souls... best place to invade I found was the Dragon Mausoleum (best as in easiest to brutalise the Host).

On the other hand, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Blade of the Darkmoon was designed better. 30 minutes farming the steps - 1 million souls and no Proofs... kill me...

(Area spoiler) Anyone have any insight as to what
Profaned Capital
is supposed to be? Is this supposed to be
a location from DS1? Why is there a capital that you can only access via a dungeon?

According to what I've been able to gather from item descriptions I believe that the
profaned capital was an older area then the stuff around it. Pontiff Sulyvahn discovered it's ruins and flame under Irithyll as a young sorcerer. For a mid game boss he is a pretty big deal for a ton of the stuff that is happening in the game.

So disappointed in the (NPC spoiler)
Siegward
quest line. I go through tons of hoops to get him through his quest line only to get him
instantly crushed by Yhorm. He didn't last more than 10 seconds in the fight. The boss lands one or two smashes and he's dead. WTF. No second chances, no way to try again, all that work gone in a flash. From needs to seriously buff his health there. That is a ridiculous and cheap way to go out and fail the questline.
makes me sad and angry. Now I have to wait for another whole playthrough to even try again, but it's probably not worth the hassle.

Keinu

So I'm still stuck on the Abyss Watchers.

Just out of interest what level should I be at, I feel under powered (level 22).

That does seem to be a bit low. I'm usually around level 30-35 at that point. What weapon are you using? A fast hitting weapon is very usefull against that boss.

Dimmle

According to what I've been able to gather from item descriptions I believe that the
profaned capital was an older area then the stuff around it. Pontiff Sulyvahn discovered it's ruins and flame under Irithyll as a young sorcerer. For a mid game boss he is a pretty big deal for a ton of the stuff that is happening in the game.

Yeah,
Sulyvahn is basically the puppeteer of most of the events of the game.

Keinu

So I'm still stuck on the Abyss Watchers.

Just out of interest what level should I be at, I feel under powered (level 22).

There could be an area you haven't been to yet you can go to before that fight.
Cathedral of the Deep
, I usually go there first and that could explain your low level.

LiK

I would love if Mound-Makers got Shackles for killing Red Invaders too. Since Mad Spirits can help or fight the hosts, that gives them an incentive to help the hosts as much as fight.

I definitely understand that, needing to do it for the PvP drops. Duels do seem to be the fairest way though, since the host has to initiate. But I imagine a lot of random folks don't activate the red signs they see.

You would be surprised. I thought the same when I put my first one down but was summoned right away and that continued for a few hours. Then there is the area that is basically just dedicated to them.

But yes, duels are the fastest and easiest way to get any pvp item that you can with them. Less ganksquads, less people running away, less people healing and taking forever. I'm not even that good and I can maintain over 50% win rate, and with the less time wasted on all the stuff listed above that is still pretty fast. I just wish there was a way involving them for Darkmoon. Well and watchdogs, or if watchdogs just worked like the aldritch stuff does.

I would love if Mound-Makers got Shackles for killing Red Invaders too. Since Mad Spirits can help or fight the hosts, that gives them an incentive to help the hosts as much as fight.

I'm pretty sure they can. I see mound makers disappear all the time after killing phantoms in fightclubs outside of P
ontiff

So disappointed in the (NPC spoiler)
Siegward
quest line. I go through tons of hoops to get him through his quest line only to get him
instantly crushed by Yhorm. He didn't last more than 10 seconds in the fight. The boss lands one or two smashes and he's dead. WTF. No second chances, no way to try again, all that work gone in a flash. From needs to seriously buff his health there. That is a ridiculous and cheap way to go out and fail the questline.
makes me sad and angry. Now I have to wait for another whole playthrough to even try again, but it's probably not worth the hassle.

damn i didnt even know he could die that quick. He always seemed to tank it fine for all my playthroughs and came nowhere near death.

Okay I don't seem do dmg Y
horm the Giant. I even use the sword near his throne, I charge it for a long time so it stays windy
but it's barely damaging him.

Should I prepare for a very VERY long battle or I just missed something ?

That does seem to be a bit low. I'm usually around level 30-35 at that point. What weapon are you using? A fast hitting weapon is very usefull against that boss.

I think it a broadsword, upgraded to +4.

22 may be a bit low. Most people should be around 30-35 in this area.

Thought so.

I think I was 30/31 when beat him and it was the boss that killed me the most in the whole game.

Hmm.

There could be an area you haven't been to yet you can go to before that fight.
Cathedral of the Deep
, I usually go there first and that could explain your low level.

Definitely haven't been there, not sure how I missed it.

Keinu

You would be surprised. I thought the same when I put my first one down but was summoned right away and that continued for a few hours. Then there is the area that is basically just dedicated to them.

But yes, duels are the fastest and easiest way to get any pvp item that you can with them. Less ganksquads, less people running away, less people healing and taking forever. I'm not even that good and I can maintain over 50% win rate, and with the less time wasted on all the stuff listed above that is still pretty fast. I just wish there was a way involving them for Darkmoon. Well and watchdogs, or if watchdogs just worked like the aldritch stuff does.

I guess it wouldn't fit the lore, but I would love if you could just use the red soapstone and whatever covenant item you were wearing would be the one you got if you won and vice versa for the host. To be honest I don't see why not since you can sunbro invade and get sunlight medal, or has that been explained somewhere?

Dimmle

Nope. You can only get it from killing hosts or a specific number of phantoms. I got one from killing two phantoms only.

...then what's the point of a wild card covenant?

Charge the sword for longer.

He
died in mine while I was putting on the sword. :C

I didn't bother with the
sword
(didn't even know about it), so my ineffectual hacking at his heels probably helped
Seigward
's survivability.

Gorillaz

Messing around with this storm ruler weapon in PvP. Thought it would be a fun little toy. After a few rounds I haven't seen any real fun use for it other then its art skill thing.

Shame.....anyone have anything really on it yet?

myco666

Yep. Invaders can go fuck themselves, you want honor don't force yourself into my game with your "well thiiiis is how Miyazaki intends it to be" then tell me "but don't summon help/ignore you and go to the boss/use Estus". You come into my world without my say so, you get whatever I feel like throwing at you.

Well thats a bit harsh. I don't care about honor at all and I actually hate honorable duels since they are boring. Make me work for the kill, run away, pop a Seed and summon helpers and make my objective as hard as possible. Now that is fun and I am really disappointed everytime host wants a duel.

...then what's the point of a wild card covenant?

Technically they can help you kill a red phantom and get a reward from it. Big problem with that is that mad phantoms spawn into random locations so they might get to help you at time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom