• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
There's an elevator just to the right of the boss door. You can then rest at the
Dragonslayer
bonfire and use that elevator instead.

You know, when I was playing bloodborne, I complained all the time in the OT about how far away the lamps were, and people kept telling me "Oh, it's not that far, you just need to find the shortcut."

I did find the shortcuts. The shortcuts were what I was complaining about the length over. Whenever I die to the current boss I'm stuck at, it's about a minute long trek between where I start and the fog wall, with strong enemies inbetween that I can MOSTLY avoid, but can also get snagged on by chance and lose a chunk of health. You can argue a minute isn't long, but it is when your stuck on a boss and have to do it over, and over, and over again. Even twenty seconds can add up if you're stuck on a boss, making it very annoying to have to trek again and again.

5 seconds. That's how far away every bonfire should be away from the boss. You have to give the option to not go to the boss again, or else I'd be advocating to restart in the arena itself. So from spawning, that's the length of time it should take me to get to the boss area again. Anything else is superflously wasting the players time.

J-Skee

I tried to love it again, but it definitely doesn't hit as hard, and the start up being slower is definitely worse all around in this game. I ended up dropping it after a few hours.

I am genuinely surprised at how good the Brigand Twindaggers are. The L2 dash literally makes it possible for them to be good though. It's got insane iframes and gets you around and back in super quick. The L1 also seems to easily stagger every enemy that's not bigger than an elephant.

Quick question regarding weapon buff spells - Does infusing a weapon with ANY stone make it unable to be buffed with spells (ie Magic Weapon)? So far I've tried with the Dark, Fire, and Crystal infusions, and i'm unable to buff any of them. Kind of a bummer honestly. I'm still hoping that there's a chance that the one that increases DEX scaling will be able to still be buffed, but probably not.

If you happen to find one that increases DEX scaling, please let me know. Having a pretty difficult time finding DEX weapons I like. Although I love Pontiff Curved Sword, I'm not fond of it's skill. Found a greatsword that's for DEX use (forgot the name), but I don't understand how that can be since DEX is meant to be more nimble, not slower.

You can't believe that someone found a Dark Souls boss difficult?

You're right, I shouldn't have said that. I just haven't found a boss so far that has really challenged me, personally. I'm sure with the area I'm in though, I'm going to be in a world of hurt.

lionpants

That reminds me: What's the best farming spot? I want to farm chunks and souls for chunks.
There's a
Drakeblood Knight
that is summoned near the second bonfire in
Archdragon Peak
. If you don't kill the summoner he is summoned repeatedly and gives 5k-ish souls each time. I used the
Shield of Want
and the
Silver Serpent Ring
and went to town.

Sullichin

If you happen to find one that increases DEX scaling, please let me know. Having a pretty difficult time finding DEX weapons I like. Although I love Pontiff Curved Sword, I'm not fond of it's skill. Found a greatsword that's for DEX use (forgot the name), but I don't understand how that can be since DEX is meant to be more nimble, not slower.

The curved greatswords usually scale with DEX.
The gem you're looking for is Sharp. The red eyed dudes in the Catacombs have a rare chance to drop them and there's one from a crystal lizard in Undead Settlement

Sullichin

That reminds me: What's the best farming spot? I want to farm chunks and souls for chunks.

Which is that?

The three Winged Knights
on the roof of the castle after Grand Archives/before fighting the Princes. You get like 17k or something with silver serpent+ shield of want, and there's 3 of them. They can drop chunks as well.

You know, when I was playing bloodborne, I complained all the time in the OT about how far away the lamps were, and people kept telling me "Oh, it's not that far, you just need to find the shortcut."

I did find the shortcuts. The shortcuts were what I was complaining about the length over. Whenever I die to the current boss I'm stuck at, it's about a minute long trek between where I start and the fog wall, with strong enemies inbetween that I can MOSTLY avoid, but can also get snagged on by chance and lose a chunk of health. You can argue a minute isn't long, but it is when your stuck on a boss and have to do it over, and over, and over again. Even twenty seconds can add up if you're stuck on a boss, making it very annoying to have to trek again and again.

5 seconds. That's how far away every bonfire should be away from the boss. You have to give the option to not go to the boss again, or else I'd be advocating to restart in the arena itself. So from spawning, that's the length of time it should take me to get to the boss area again. Anything else is superflously wasting the players time.

I think I hate the same bonfire as you do. It's fucking ridiculous that you have to go through that many enemies without getting hit to get to the worst boss in the game.

lionpants

I totally agree. That's one of the reasons I try and keep going without returning to
Firelink
(and usually lose my souls), because of the loading time (drives my wife crazy when she is watching).

In this case though, there are 0 enemies on the run back. Are we talking about the same bonfire? I'm not talking about the elevator before the
Archives
. Its the one before the
Dragonslayer
fight. You respawn at the bonfire and run backwards.

I finally got around to upgrading a Scimitar and I can already feel the game becoming easier with it. Usually it gets replaced by better Dex options later on but it seems to be one of the more viable weapons for Dex in PvE this time.

TheFlow

Banned
Fuck summoning is not working. keeps saying unable to summon. this is the first this has happened for me. wasted about 7 embers trying to get it to work.

Also spoilers for greatest boss in this game

Nameless is kicking my ass on the second phase

lionpants

Fuck summoning is not working. keeps saying unable to summon. this is the first this has happened for me. wasted about 7 embers trying to get it to work.

Also spoilers for greatest boss in this game

Nameless is kicking my ass on the second phase
You got your NAT open?

LiK

L
othric
C
astle
is an awesome area. So many little secrets and areas. Fun as hell.

The enemies are fucking brutal. Probably one of the hardest areas in Souls series. There's one other area I can think of in Dark Souls 2 where the regular enemies kicked my ass.

Hystzen

Walk out of the Catacombs to next area

What the fuck is going on this in this game deja vu doesn't even get close to describing it .

Pretty cool playing a Souls game blind for once only thing I saw was the announcement video ages ago.

Skatterd

The people saying they're still having summoning issues still is blowing my mind.
I've had no issues since day 1..it's worked better than it ever has for me. Maybe I'm just lucky.

The three Winged Knights
on the roof of the castle after Grand Archives/before fighting the Princes. You get like 17k or something with silver serpent+ shield of want, and there's 3 of them. They can drop chunks as well.

Good call! I just killed them last night and they were pretty easy.

Getting there and getting hit, so then I have to use a Flask already, then his
first form
hits too hard, and then the
second
I can't even get a bit on him.
Have you opened the shortcut
elevator next to the boss room leading to the Dragonslayer Armor bonfire?

edit: misread that, thought that first part said you were getting hit on your run back to the boss room.

deoee

Boss helping with the build I stole from Speedrunners is so good
EWmof.gif

taybul

Getting there and getting hit, so then I have to use a Flask already, then his
first form
hits too hard, and then the
second
I can't even get a bit on him.

Yeah if you walk in and go straight to pick up your souls you will almost certainly get hit. A lot of his regular attacks should be easily avoidable, but when he looks like he's about to hit but teleports, you need to give a slight delay to your dodge for when he comes back in. The second form is largely the same except for the additional attacks obviously. I only go in for a hit when
the smaller prince
isn't doing anything.

As for actually going there, I run straight up the left side and just roll through the smaller enemies, then cut across to avoid the archers then roll by the knights.

Zophar

This is part of the series, fwiw. I'd say the runbacks in DS3 are the most generous yet. Nearly every runback in DS1 was much more miserable.

deoee

Anri's Straight Sword + Luck?

+ Bleed.

I feel like this is kind of broken.
When the bleed kicks in some bosses just melt...

Good thing you can
respec

Also can someone help me and explain how Covenants work?
Some tell you will be summoned but I never ever have been...

The one to the right of the bonfire?

Where you have to run up the steps past everyone and their mothers, and then 4(!) Black Knights?
No, the one that literally goes from one of the rooms right before the
Dragonslayer Armor boss
to literally right in front of the
Princes boss room.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm moving a bit slow and just got to the Borean Valley. How of curiosity how far in % I'm into the game?

It's so weird cuz it used to be so useless lol

The problem with Luck as a stat in this game is that you aren't able to infuse a weapon with Hollow for a large chunk of the game. I know this because I am trying to make a Dex/Luck character but haven't actually been able to use the actual Luck scaling part yet.

KHlover

Banned
This is part of the series, fwiw. I'd say the runbacks in DS3 are the most generous yet. Nearly every runback in DS1 was much more miserable.

Seath
Bed of Chaos
Artorias
Ornstein and Smough
Taurus Demon

Personal Top5. Such BS. Long way from bonfire. Strong enemies in the way. Dark Souls 3 feels like a light breeze compared to that.

daninthemix

Just a heads up for someone looking for statless weapons - the Raw Astora Straight Sword is viable throughout the whole game, topping out at 320 AR at +10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom