• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sande

Don't be. Just keep playing. The game will throw them at you hand over fist once you hit a certain point.
This really sucks about Dark Souls 3. They're trying to control your power level too much and as a result the entire reinforcement system for regular weapons loses all purpose. Bloodborne also kind of did this.

Mogwai

I need a bit of advice here...

I'm looking to dump 4 points in STR so I can wield the Shield of Want. It's an upgrade of 6 Stability compared to my current shield. Is it any actual difference in stamina consumed when blocking?

DPB

I'm looking to dump 4 points in STR so I can wield the Shield of Want. It's an upgrade of 6 Stability compared to my current shield. Is it any actual difference in stamina consumed when blocking?

Yes, increased stability reduces the stamina needed to block attacks.

zewone

This really sucks about Dark Souls 3. They're trying to control your power level too much and as a result the entire reinforcement system for regular weapons loses all purpose. Bloodborne also kind of did this.

Wait, what? If they gave you access to all the materials to make a +10 weapon from the start all sense of progression would be lost. You wouldn't get excited finding shards/chunks/slabs.

Maybe I'm missing your point.

And Bloodborne was much stingier with it's materials. I believe there was only one Slab equivalent per playthrough.

Citadel

So I decided to kill
Emma
on my 2nd "evil" character playthrough... Bad idea, because now the
Dancer
is kicking my ass at SL30. I've summoned 3 other phantoms multiple times, but we can't seem to get past 50% HP before being absolutely demolished.

Is this something i should come back to later? I really wanted the dual blades, as that's what my character wields.

At the same time it's nowhere near as limiting as Bloodborne, there are ways of getting higher tier titanite earlier (and apparently it's possible to defeat D
ancer
early to gain access to Chunks). The different upgrade material types make it easier to have multiple weapons that are well upgraded, too.

How much does luck increase the bleed/poison effect? Like the base is 33, how much do you have to raise luck to see a decent increase?
I don't actually know, but Bleed infused weapons don't increase the Bleed stat as much as I thought it would, so I imagine it's at least somewhere between a non-infused and a Bleed-infused weapon.

Ricker

My HP bar keeps going to half in Irithyll Dungeon. Is this some kind of a curse or a glitch?

Nope,its those fuckers that brand you lol,like the video Luap posted ;) ,those Sorceress I call them...when I saw the procession at one point I thought damn,do I have to kill them all ;)

usp84

Yes i got the Platinum Trophy!

Other souls games and Bloodborne are the only games in which i have a Platinum trophy.

I got the final ring after an epic NG++ battle with N
ameless
K
ing
!

Now time to try some magic i think.

Ricker

Other souls games and Bloodborne are the only games in which i have a Platinum trophy.

ameless
K
ing
!

Grats and hats off to anyone who gets the platinum in this lol,I could never do it...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think you have just 2 major bosses left. They are both damn good fights too, so have fun!

There's another area after that one, and a few optional levels you might have missed.

One adjoining the catacombs, another in Lothric Castle which also lets you access a level from Irithyll Dungeon.

Thanks. I have done
the Smouldering Lake
, but I think that's the only optional one I have done. Which other optional areas are missable before L
othric Castle?
I took a lift to
the gardens
but it seemed pretty tough so I decided to leave it for now.

Actually I have one other random question for you guys here, as this is my first souls game I am curious about how it apparently overlaps with DS1, I hear it shares some landmarks. I really love the sense of geography in the game, with how you are gradually moving away from the castle in the distance, it provides some stunning views. I am a real sucker for this kind of thing in games.

mstevens

ameless
K
ing
!

Dang I didn't realize he was one of the bosses you need to beat in NG++. That is going to be brutal.

Sande

Wait, what? If they gave you access to all the materials to make a +10 weapon from the start all sense of progression would be lost. You wouldn't get excited finding shards/chunks/slabs.

Maybe I'm missing your point.

And Bloodborne was much stingier with it's materials. I believe there was only one Slab equivalent per playthrough.
I mean they'd hide a large shard here, a chunk there... A thorough player could get the upgrades a bit earlier than they're "meant to". Right now you just get the next upgrade when the devs decided you should. Absolutely no sense of accomplishment or reward.

At the same time it's nowhere near as limiting as Bloodborne, there are ways of getting higher tier titanite earlier (and apparently it's possible to defeat D
ancer
early to gain access to Chunks). The different upgrade material types make it easier to have multiple weapons that are well upgraded, too.
Twinkling titanite and titanite scales definitely go a long way in saving the system.

Good point about the D
ancer

How does infusing work? It looks so complicated? I'm at farron keep but haven't infused anything as it seems to get rid of scaling and/or adds elements making my main attack weaker. I dunno what the difference us between refined/raw etc is it worth making my weapons worse with infusions?

KHlover

Banned

Yup. Also you get more souls when Shield of Want is equipped - so go for it!

Trakan

How does infusing work? It looks so complicated? I'm at farron keep but haven't infused anything as it seems to get rid of scaling and/or adds elements making my main attack weaker. I dunno what the difference us between refined/raw etc is it worth making my weapons worse with infusions?

It's easier than you think. Refined reduces base damage and adds more strength/dex scaling. If you have high dex/strength, and you're using a weapon that will scale well, this is a good option. Raw removes all scaling for higher base damage. If you are just rocking the bare minimum stats to wield the weapon and don't plan on leveling up strength or dex, this is a potential option.

DPB

Thanks. I have done
the Smouldering Lake
, but I think that's the only optional one I have done. Which other optional areas are missable before L
othric Castle?
I took a lift to
the gardens
but it seemed pretty tough so I decided to leave it for now.

There's just a couple more, both accessible from there, the second is somewhat obscure to reach:

1)
One area follows on from the Consumed King's Garden.

2)
After the boss in the Garden you should find a gesture. Head back to Irithyll Dungeon and go to the area outside near the lift where you find the Dragon Torso Stone, and use the gesture next to the seated corpses at the cliffside.

Yay, just had my second Watchdog invasion after 10 or so hours with the covenant equipped. The host was killed by a giant enemy crab before I could get to them, but at least it counted as a duty fulfilled. Just seven more for the sword! :/

KHlover

Banned
If it's 6% I guess it's quite good then.

Yeah, I might as well just add up all the benefits :)

Fun thing about those soul-increasing items is that DS3 has a very peculiar way of adding up percentages.

10% from Silver Serpent Ring + 20% from Shield of Want = 1,0+0,1+0,2+(0,1*0,2)= 1,32x original amount

With Symbol of Avarice: 32% from before + 50% from Symbol of Avarice: 1,0+0,32+0,5+(0,32*0,5) = 1,98x original amount

It makes no fucking sense but it's true, easy to see when farming certain enemies late-game that drop 4k souls.

psychotron

Are there any consequences to fighting
Dancer
before
Aldrich
? I just beat
Yhorm
and feel like going right at another boss.

Sande

Yay, just had my second Watchdog invasion after 10 or so hours with the covenant equipped. The host was killed by a giant enemy crab before I could get to them, but at least it counted as a duty fulfilled. Just seven more for the sword! :/
It has to be broken. Has to. I've never been invaded by one either.

Sande

Fun thing about those soul-increasing items is that DS3 has a very peculiar way of adding up percentages.

10% from Silver Serpent Ring + 20% from Shield of Want = 1,0+0,1+0,2+(0,1*0,2)= 1,32x original amount

With Symbol of Avarice: 32% from before + 50% from Symbol of Avarice: 1,0+0,32+0,5+(0,32*0,5) = 1,98x original amount

It makes no fucking sense but it's true, easy to see when farming certain enemies late-game that drop 4k souls.
It's just 1 * 1.1 * 1.2

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Dancer
before
Aldrich
? I just beat
Yhorm

I thought
Dancer
was a much easier boss, I did it directly after
Aldrich
with missing Estus as well. I'd say give it a go.

KHlover

Banned
Dancer
before
Aldrich
? I just beat
Yhorm

If you throughly farm that area after the boss you'll end up with a +9 weapon and get some good equip. If you want to curbstomp everything for the next areas is your call :)

It's just 1 * 1.1 * 1.2

Seems like my math was a bit overly complicated lol. Oh well at least I got the result right.

My only complaint with this game right now is the poise system.

If it was closer to DS1, it would be my favorite game.

However, I am working up to being able to use Yorhm's Machete so that's hype.

Markitron

If you throughly farm that area after the boss you'll end up with a +9 weapon and get some good equip. If you want to curbstomp everything for the next areas is your call :)

Can this be done with the Ithyrill Sword? I finished with the Twinkling Titanite upgrades and now need the next one (can't remember what it is). My STR is at 40 and only increasing my DEX seems to add any damage to it.

krioto

So I decided to kill
Emma
Dancer
is kicking my ass at SL30. I've summoned 3 other phantoms multiple times, but we can't seem to get past 50% HP before being absolutely demolished.

Is this something i should come back to later? I really wanted the dual blades, as that's what my character wields.

Have you tried using 'Magic Weapon' spell before fighting her? I used it and it completely destroyed her - went through bone like butter - stay on her butt, and do it by yourself - the extra phantoms are just buffing her HP.

In other news - I could fight silver knights all day - so much fun. Cathedral knights on the other hand can go suck a dick

Markitron

I think that one is like the boss weapons in that it only goes up to +5.

No I think you can use a Titanite Slab on it (unless that is what brings it to +5?). Should I be using something else? I have 33 DEX and 40 STR.

Brakke

Banned
So I decided to kill
Emma
Dancer

I usually found that summoning a full squad wasn't helpful. Especially against a boss that's one-shotting you and your summons, giving it that increased HP and thereby prolonging the fight makes it harder. Good luck tho, it didn't even occur to me to try and sequence break by doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom