• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's that. Great great game, terrible final boss battle...

Dark Souls III pulled out a Final Fantasy IX Necron final boss out of nowhere, game should have ended without that. Nothing wrong with the battle itself but it means nothing and is super anticlimatic, pointless (and is extremely easy).

So, final stats:

63hs with all optinal areas and bosses.

Soul Level 65.

Vigor 22
Endurance 26
Strength 18
Dexterity 44

Chaos Blade +5 as last main weapon (Black Blade, Uchigatana and Irythill Straight Sword were previous).

Sande

Take a wax bath next time to make the area a bit more bearable ;)
Oh my god. It seemed so useless at first glance. Still, the mages are my main beef with the area. I have a (maybe not all that) irrational hatred for enemies that spam shit from the distance when I'm preoccupied.

DPB

I would exclude indoor A
rchives
from that.
Fucking curse hands everywhere and mages constantly peppering you with shit from above.
Possibly my least favourite area in a Souls game.

I actually really liked that area.
That one non-respawning mage was annoying, but I liked it more than the original version. There you had to contend with archers too, and it seemed like the channellers had infinite range and perfect aim. At least there was more cover in the Grand Archives.

MilkBeard

For those who are in late game in Lothric Castle, there's a really nice farming spot:

The three winged angels drop like 13K souls by default, and with the symbol of avarice, medicant's staff and shield of want on you'll get 30K a pop with a large shard or a chunk (they also drop blessed gems and gear). You just need Rapport pyro spell to make them fight each other when they land. One whole run takes under 2 minutes from the Grand Cathedral bonfire, so you can get about 450K souls plus several chunks and large shards in just 10 minutes.

Pop on the ring that gives more souls as well and tell me how many you get per kill.

psychotron

If you throughly farm that area after the boss you'll end up with a +9 weapon and get some good equip. If you want to curbstomp everything for the next areas is your call :)

Seems like my math was a bit overly complicated lol. Oh well at least I got the result right.

Thanks.
Dancer
down. First try too. Now to find some titanite chunks

kagamin

That was the dumbest invasion I've ever done, host with a phantom, I killed the phantom eventually because he was just hiding behind the host most of the time, the host just turtled for 10 minutes after that with a greatshield and tried to kill me with a torch but had to finish me with the shield because I was being aggressive, I don't have the knight slayer ring either so I didn't have much of a chance...

zma1013

Late game spoilas

Holy shit why did I
ring this bell at arch dragon peak. I cant see shit now, smoke everywhere. Im blind captain.

Afrocious

Damn, killed the
Dancer
last week. The game branches into two paths that are kinda hard with enemies that hit like trucks. Where should I go? The
Garden
has a ton of mutants...

I would exclude indoor A
rchives
from that.
Fucking curse hands everywhere and mages constantly peppering you with shit from above.
Possibly my least favourite area in a Souls game.

Wax and/or armor with good curse resist makes the hands a non-issue, and the spells are super easy to dodge, but just enough to keep you on your toes. I'm also a sucker for super verticle level design in these games and this area has it in spades.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Welp I have killed every npc in the game, no choice but go to NG+ now

Demoskinos

Would anyone be up for the arduous task of helping me with U
nnamed
K
ing
on NG++?

Every summon is instantly failing for me and I really dont see me beating this alone. :(

Should I have explored the cathedral before the catacombs? I'm kind of deep into the catacombs right now, but not sure if I somehow began exploring out of order.

Got to the
nameless king
. I KNEW it was going to be camera shitstorm as soon as I saw the bird. I pulled the crossbow found at
the archives
after trying to beat this asshole ten times. I could never get past half-health on the second phase, but cheesing him with the bow instantly did the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwdJWtUN-U

not even ashamed! Still not ready for a SL1 run, and I may never be up for it, but I definitely want to platinum this game.

The Lamp

Sm
ouldering Lake
area is GARBAGE!!!!! Fucking hate the cheap ass enemies there and that damn thing hitting me all over the level.

Bluenoser

At least it won't take THAT long to get the souls back if you're skilled in killing the Winged Knights after
Archives
. With almost 26k souls per kill with Symb. of. Avar. + SoF + CSSR it'll "only" take five runs

Take a wax bath next time to make the area a bit more bearable ;)

Yeah I'm not too concerned about the souls. I'm farming for the darkmoon items now so I'm getting lots- too bad only 1 covenant item per hour though. This is stupid, and these PVP related trophies are really the only blemish on an otherwise magnificent game.

wrongway

I'm way behind the curve, but just fought the A
byss
W
atchers
. First fight that's been legit hard for me. Phase two is so aggressive. The attacks just keep coming, and the
splash damage and fire trails
caught me out so many times. I *almost* cleared it on my first go by blind luck, but got smashed with ~30% left and proceeded to take like 6 more tries. On the bright side, my runs from the bonfire to the boss room netted me the full
dark
set and a pair of those
dark swords
people say are OP. Guess I'll bank those for if I ever respec to a strength build. :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Warning! Complete newbie here!

I picked the Herald for my starting class. I like Hammer and Lance when I play Monster Hunter, so I figured the pokey nature of the spear seemed like a fun idea. I'm not entirely sure how to play with the shield...I just hit Y and went into two-handed mode the whole time. Not really sure if that's how I'm supposed to play this type of character. I feel like shields against bosses would be worthless? I don't care about spoilers and shit, so is there a good article or video out there to watch to learn the usefulness of shields?

Oh and speaking of bosses, that first boss Iudex Gundyr took me like 10 tries, but man did it feel good when I finally took him down. I think I get the allure of these games - that feeling of triumph is pretty sweet.

Pretty excited to get deeper into this game.

Late game spoilas

Holy shit why did I
ring this bell at arch dragon peak. I cant see shit now, smoke everywhere. Im blind captain.

It clears up when you beat the boss! :DD

I don't care about spoilers and shit, so is there a good article or video out there to watch to learn the usefulness of shields?

I watched this video after starting the game and helped me a ton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm4IOCkc5n0

More pvp-related, but it all applies to most mobs and even bosses.

zma1013

You just started the party. Enjoy.

I see that... actually no i dont, i canta see shit captain. The Souls camera is completely incompetent for this first phase.

That being said, despite the issues i think i have the first form down. Just gotta work the second.

I picked the Herald for my starting class. I like Hammer and Lance when I play Monster Hunter, so I figured the pokey nature of the spear seemed like a fun idea. I'm not entirely sure how to play with the shield...I just hit Y and went into two-handed mode the whole time. Not really sure if that's how I'm supposed to play this type of character. I feel like shields against bosses would be worthless? I don't care about spoilers and shit, so is there a good article or video out there to watch to learn the usefulness of shields?

Oh and speaking of bosses, that first boss Iudex Gundyr took me like 10 tries, but man did it feel good when I finally took him down. I think I get the allure of these games - that feeling of triumph is pretty sweet.

Play however you want :) To use a shield, pretty much hold L1 or LB and face towards the enemy. Shields are useful for the smaller enemies. You can fully block some bosses attack without taking dmg. Welp shields can be helpful but alot of later end game enemies will hit very hard, draining your stamina resulting in a guard break. Which will leave you wide open for an attack.

zma1013

It just depends on the enemy or boss whether or not a shield is a good idea. Dont make the mistake that just because something is very big that it cant be block and vice versa. You just have to experiment.

Also, when you are holding a shield up, your stamina regens very slowly so make sure you put it down in between blocking to recharge stamina faster.

wheeplash

For anyone wondering about the Symbol of Avarice drop:
If you didn't get one by killing the mimics, its a guaranteed drop from the very last one you kill in the game (I don't know how many there are) just reload the game and the item will be there on the ground.

Y'all got any of them Proofs of Concord Kept?

blegh, reminds me of how much pvp I have to do before I get all that stuff. I'm down for cheating and asking for some of the rewards you get in the covenants, giving it back of course. I keep forgetting you can drop shit on the floor in this game!

GulAtiCa

If I didn't know better, just had a guy clearly just try to disconnect on me. Was running away from me (and another invader) and avoiding us. And suddenly about face and stopped 100%. No movement. If that was what they were trying to do, too late. We got the final blow in and killed them at just the nick of time.

Been having a lot of people disconnect lately..

Septimius

Some basics:

You probably want a 100% physical damage absorb shield. It's one of its stats. Use the help function if you're unable to find it. With 100% physical, you can hold up your shield against physical attacks and not lose HP. This is huge against bosses, and it's greatly helpful. It means you can keep at a safe distance, shield up, and learn your bosses move set, or be up close, and block that one move you know is coming. Rolling is better, and bosses do huge stamina-drains on their attacks, which will break your shield guard and leave you open to attack. This leads us to the 'stability' stat. The higher it is, the less stamina you get drained. Bigger shields drain less stamina.

While you're holding your shield up, your stamina will regain extremely slowly, so you need to let down your shield in a boss fight to regain stamina, which is where timing is important. This is also why rolling is superior. Never block in PvP unless you intend to parry the second or third attack. Your stamina will last shorter than the attacker, your guard will be broken, and you'll be riposted. Don't use shields in PvP unless you're going to parry.

Shield is your number one defense running around. Keep your shield up if you're running into an unknown situation. I only care about the physical and stability stats. Sure, it can have good stats in the rest, but magic is normally VERY easy to roll away from, so try that.

Tarkus

If I didn't know better, just had a guy clearly just try to disconnect on me. Was running away from me (and another invader) and avoiding us. And suddenly about face and stopped 100%. No movement. If that was what they were trying to do, too late. We got the final blow in and killed them at just the nick of time.

Send them a message telling how much of a pussy they are.

These people need to play offline.

Speaking of pvp, would I be an asshole for fighting with disrespect? Most people stick with greeting and not healing, but most times I wish they didn't bother. In fact, I prefer the people who run right at me as soon as I land. I'm going to start grinding the covenant items soon and will likely ditch the etiquette for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom