• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the use of crystal gems to add magic power if the weapons don't use magic? Is this added damage to Great Weapon or is added damage to spells?

Echoplx

For the last few hours all I've been getting is "Searching for another world to invade"

Everything was fine a few hours ago now I can't do any MP at all, in places where there were tonnes of summon signs there's now only a few.

Are the servers borked or something?

Skii

I'm pretty sure he can? I'm almost positive I got that sword there on my console run, which of course happened to be a dex build T_T

i think so. Altho I forget if you can just find it somewhere later in the game like with other BK weapons.

Got it yesterday, definitely drops it.

Okay sweet. Thanks guys. It's good to hear you can find their other weapons. DS3 really is going big with the build varieties.

Jinaar

I have one Covenant to finish now. MoundCake Makers. Vertebrae Shackles + 14 to go. This one is going to be the worst.

Thankfully for me, I've not had any issues invading or being summoned for other covenants. Aldritch Faithful was super fast due to being around the Deacons and being summoned all the time, SL 130. Wolfgrass farming went great last night, 15 in an hour. Got all my Darkmoon during my first play thru keeping the Covenant of the blue on always.

But MoundCake is going to be the worst. Not looking forward to it.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
S
eigward
got royally fucked up by Y
horm the giant before i could even equip the storm ruler
I know at this point it doesnt matter but I'm gutted

LiK

Okay sweet. Thanks guys. It's good to hear you can find their other weapons. DS3 really is going big with the build varieties.

It's insane what builds you can go with. They basically included most of the gear/rings from the first two games (albeit with altered effects for some) and let people go nuts with them. If they fix the gameplay issues with some of them, it's the best in the trilogy in terms of variety.

LiK

S
eigward
got royally fucked up by Y
horm the giant before i could even equip the storm ruler
I know at this point it doesnt matter but I'm gutted

Had plenty of time to equip right before boss. :/

Also, amazing quest. I'm glad I played through it and the rewards are well worth it.

adz2ka

So of;

Pyromancies
Miracles
Sorceries
Rings
Expressions

I've read that only Pyromancies aren't missable and can be attained at any time through a playthrough (for trophy purposes). Can anyone confirm/deny this as I move on to NG+?

LiK

So of;

Pyromancies
Miracles
Sorceries
Rings
Expressions

I've read that only Pyromancies aren't missable and can be attained at any time through a playthrough (for trophy purposes). Can anyone confirm/deny this as I move on to NG+?

Yep, you can get all Pyros in one playthrough if you follow a guide to find them all.

Ken

So of;

Pyromancies
Miracles
Sorceries
Rings
Expressions

There's one tied to a Covenant that sounds missable? I'm not a pyromancer or in that covenant so I'm just going by the wiki.

KHlover

Banned
I discovered a real fun thing to do just now. I went back to High Walls of Lothric and beat every single enemy to death with my bare fists in a single run. Including the mad ones after they transformed, the Winged Knight and that blue Lothric Knight. I should do this more often, it's amazing ;D

LiK

I discovered a real fun thing to do just now. I went back to High Walls of Lothric and beat every single enemy to death with my bare fists in a single run. Including the mad ones after they transformed, the Winged Knight and that blue Lothric Knight. I should do this more often, it's amazing ;D

I'm gonna fuck around in NG++ just so I'm not bored during that run. Will also try all fists or whatever and see how it goes.

Skii

It's insane what builds you can go with. They basically included most of the gear/rings from the first two games (albeit with altered effects for some) and let people go nuts with them. If they fix the gameplay issues with some of them, it's the best in the trilogy in terms of variety.

Yeah the only thing DS2 personally had over any of the Souls/Bloodborne games was insane build variety and good PVP. I don't know what the PVP is like but if it's decent, this will largely render DS2 useless to me in terms of extra playthroughs.

This Cathedral area is insanely tough, might have to come back to this, still early on, like lvl 38 and 14 hrs in
If you're level 38 you shouldn't be having an issue there damage-wise

Are you just struggling with the rooftop area? If so just run past and find the next bonfire

LiK

Yeah the only thing DS2 personally had over any of the Souls/Bloodborne games was insane build variety and good PVP. I don't know what the PVP is like but if it's decent, this will largely render DS2 useless to me in terms of extra playthroughs.

Would love a real PVP arena. Hope that's included with a DLC or something. DkS2 did that and it's a good option to have. Better than people having to do summoning for PVP.

web01

Estoc isn't even a particularly good weapon. It outraged and out damaged by tons of weapons.
It is fast sure but very forward hit box.Pretty sure you can backstep out of combo too.
Do not see many in pvp fight clubs even.
Heavy swords that stun lock and kill in two hits are much harder to deal with especially if fighting with a light weapon.

Tingle

Estoc isn't even a particularly good weapon. It outraged and out damaged by tons of weapons.
It is fast sure but very forward hit box.Pretty sure you can backstep out of combo too.
Heavy swords that stun lock and kill in two hits are much harder to deal with especially if fighting with a light weapon.

Also it being fast is a bit of a weakness, I tend to just parry spam against estocs, and it works pretty reliably. I do think the weapon may need some minor touches, but its certainly not Dark Sword level in my eyes.

saturnine

Mind sharing some pointers? Because I tried a FTH build the other day up to the point you have access to the coal that lets you do thunder infusion, and I was severely underwhelmed. Very few offensive miracles with shit damage and a single weapon that scaled with faith until that point. Weapon that did even less damages after infusion, mind you. The Deep Axe in the beginning of the game was consistently a better choice.

Damn right.

Forkball

I BEAT IT

Some quick thoughts:

+It was definitely the most well-paced Dark Souls game. There were no real godawful areas like Blighttown or The Depths, bonfires were aplenty (perhaps too many depending on your view though), and areas didn't overstay their welcome.
+There were a lot of excellent and memorable boss fights. I know some people hate gimmick fights, but I think they serve their purpose. It would be boring if every fight was "stab the enemy in the ankle until it dies."

-It was just another Dark Souls game, which is good in a way since there aren't any games like it, but it was an extremely safe sequel in every regard.
-So many of the quests were beyond obtuse or annoying. I think I completed maybe two NPC quests.

I'm looking forward to the DLC, because I didn't understand a damn thing about the story.

Vitor711

Then you won't like this - it's not bad, but remember the insane ADP builds in DkS2 that could chug Estus flasks almost instantly? Well, that's the default drinking speed in this game.

Get prepared to have every invasion drag out because the phantom will chug 5 times and there's almost nothing you can do to interrupt it unless you're smart about equipping daggers.

LiK

Mind sharing some pointers? Because I tried a FTH build the other day up to the point you have access to the coal that lets you do thunder infusion, and I was severely underwhelmed. Very few offensive miracles with shit damage and a single weapon that scaled with faith until that point. Weapon that did even less damages after infusion, mind you. The Deep Axe in the beginning of the game was consistently a better choice.

Like I said, they still need to fix the gameplay for some stuff like they are with magic etc. but the variety is there. I haven't played enough to respec easily due to the method they use in this game. Wish it was as flexible and easy to respec as DkS2. Faith build in 2 was OP.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
twice now I've been summoned to the d
ancer
only for the host to be one hit ko by the grab attack

Had plenty of time to equip right before boss. :/

Also, amazing quest. I'm glad I played through it and the rewards are well worth it.

How? I didn't get it until that boss fight
unless there is a way to pick it up before

You let best NPC die? You are a monster

I know
he got cornered against a wall and just ruined poor thing

I've definitely beat more Dark Swords in duels than Estocs. Parrying shields ftw. It seems like the Llewellyn shield has a really good parry timing for estocs. I would try spamming parry with a leather round shield in between estoc spams, but the timing never worked out. Tried it with the Llewellyn shield and it worked at least once.

I believe buckler/round leather shield have more windup frames (but also more parry frames) which makes it too slow to get in parries in between estoc pokes. But the Llewellyn shields and other small round shields have less windup frames and less parry frames. So you have to be more precise - but its fast enough to parry between estoc pokes.

Just my observations. I didn't get much time with Llewellyn last night, so I'll try some more tonight. But for now, I keep one of each of those types of shields in my left hand to cycle between.

saturnine

Like I said, they still need to fix the gameplay for some stuff like they are with magic etc. but the variety is there. I haven't played enough to respec easily due to the method they use in this game. Wish it was as flexible and easy to respec as DkS2. Faith build in 2 was OP.

I'm not sure if this is possible honestly. They would need to completely change the scaling of some early/mid-game weapons, and the lack of infusion materials/how far some coals are in the game would still be a big issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom