• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I'm looking at a couple of weapons to replace my Dark Sword just because it is boring and I hate it. Would any of these even come close to its power/efficiency?

Onikiri and Ubadachi
Washing Pole
Astora Greatsword
Lothric Knight Greatsword
Boss Greatswords (Wolf Knight, Farron, Profaned)

My stats are building toward quality fyi (35 STR 32 Dex)

Lothric Knight GS with Lightning Clutch ring is stupid good, with a Quality build you're looking at close to a 1000 AR...

Steel

Banned
Been doing a lot of invasions in the last area before ng+ and...

Ran into a character named Ted Cruz. It was a four person gank squad.

WHICH ONE OF YOU WAS IT!?

spend 30 min. fighting
havel
in ng++.
this fucker someone managed to stunlock me to death every time in those long fights. he just needed to get a good hit in for the win. i love these fights though so i had to do it. in the end, nobody can win against the trusty washing pole.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
greatswords can be bad for pve though,

what other weapons apart from greatsword (any big heavy weapon thats slow) are good replacements for a str/dex build ?

anri's will probs get nerfed soon so i dont wanna go there. sunlight and lothric knight sword look good though, what bout curved swords (dancer boss ones and others viable ?)

mxgt

Banned
Having quite a bit of fun with a SL1, naked, no shield run. First two bosses pretty easy, just a roll fest. Expect to hit a wall at
Abyss Watchers
, but will see!

Tarkus

Looks like I can pull off 40/40 str/dex and be at SL100 for PvP. Then again I could use the extra 20 levels for endurance and vigor. 120 vs 100. Decisions decisions.

Yuck, people always land on a level that lets them be overpowered as hell. It's way more fun at lv50 where you're not a jack of all trades with 40/40/25/20 stats.

I'm gonna stop at SL100 because the gains from Vigor drop like a rock after 27 Vigor, and I already feel like I'm finishing up my build without hitting 40 Vigor, so I figure I'd rather match make with players that are towards the end of NG for a bit more activity than to have the extra health even if it means I'll die more often.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any good early 2H weapons? I've never played a great weapon build but I think I want to.

I haven't tried it yet. Seems like more of an NG+ thing. What's the NPC bug?

Summoning the dude with the Uchi from outside Firelink. I think if he dies to Dancer and you homeward bone out, summon again and retry the fight he no longer takes damage. You then just kite Dancer and let him do all the damage.

I got Dancer early, but the Swordmaster didn't die first for me. Instead I killed all enemies in the area and summoned both Uchi and the other npc summons up the stairs nearby. The other summon seemed to glitch out as it didn't follow me and Uchi to fight Dancer. I was like "Nooooo!" until I saw Uchi taking minimal damage. I hung back watching to see who would reach 0 hp first, Uchi or Dancer. But Uchi would just heal up if he was getting too low. I couldn't believe.

Then I resorted to suicide runs of
Lothric
to collect loot and learn the area, and actually managed to get the Sunlight Straight Sword
from that mimic
eventually. I also found out that the longbow is OP in Lothric even at low levels, killing both
dragons and those transforming Abyss snake-looking hollows
with it for nice early higher level crafting materials. And I discovered that you can kite that
frost enemy from the basement
all the way outside of the castle to the left and back around to the front under the bridge, and he CANNOT pass beneath. He hits an invisible wall underneath there and you can cheese him with arrows standing at a safe distance. It was worth it for early access to those treasure chests down in that room.

Entered Undead Settlement for the first time feeling like a boss :)

Are there any good early 2H weapons? I've never played a great weapon build but I think I want to.

Unlike previous games, there are a lot of weapons that can become good in this one. The weapon I stuck with through most of my first playthrough was the Flamberge.

Burt

what other weapons apart from greatsword (any big heavy weapon thats slow) are good replacements for a str/dex build ?

anri's will probs get nerfed soon so i dont wanna go there. sunlight and lothric knight sword look good though, what bout curved swords (dancer boss ones and others viable ?)

Dragonslayer Spear
is pretty awesome, and the NK equivalent seems solid as well, whatever it's called. Curved swords, the Wolf knight GS is awesome, and the Storm Curved Sword seems good, but I don't use it much.

I'm going to give some random NK tips as I've done him a bunch of times now.

- Just be patient with the summon signs, stand in the middle of where the lever is and dash to the next sign when it comes up, you'll eventually beat everyone else to one.
- Play unlocked target when he's on the drake, otherwise I found that NK himself would be out of view and his melee attacks may catch you off guard. Keep an eye on him, he sort of leans forward when he's about to melee you from the bird. His attacks can be super fast. Keep your distance and go for a hit on the bird's head now and then. Get the crit attack when it comes up obv. Lock onto him when he's flying fast around you though, you've got a little lightning bolt to dodge and he'll usually finish with a divebomb that hurts.
- Run far away from the drake as fast as you can when he flies into the air for the big FIRE attack. The fire sort of tracks one player.
- Learn the tell for when the drake blasts the long stream of fire on the ground. He curves his head to his left in a particular way (your right). You'll want to see it coming because being hit by this can be devastating, and it leaves the head completely open for multiple hits.

- Crit attack NK himself when he drops to one knee in pain, I noticed lots of other players missing this. You have to be right up in his face for it to register.
- Put the shield away and start learning moves, all are simple to dodge. Two hand that weapon and get a hit, sometimes two before getting out of dodge. If he's tracking someone else, wail on him from the back but don't get greedy.
- His grab move is bullshit and the main reason why you should just get a hit (more if you're a quick weapon) before pulling the fuck out.
- When he flies high in the air, he'll pause for a few seconds before homing down to where you are. Learn the timing on this one.
- When he starts throwing lightning shit around and is preparing for a lightning strike, just keep sidestepping like a motherfucker and you'll probably be alright.

Okay, so I'm looking at a couple of weapons to replace my Dark Sword just because it is boring and I hate it. Would any of these even come close to its power/efficiency?

Onikiri and Ubadachi
Washing Pole
Astora Greatsword
Lothric Knight Greatsword
Boss Greatswords (Wolf Knight, Farron, Profaned)

My stats are building toward quality fyi (35 STR 32 Dex)

Washing Pole is insane. Quick, long range, massive damage, bleed. All with a great moveset.

maomaoIYP

Finished it last night while playing completely blind. Only missed one optional boss. Destroyed the last boss on my first attempt. This is by far the easiest souls game.
However I basically missed all but one of the NPC quests. Also the trophies are fucking insane, especially the one to collect all rings.

try the black knight greataxe if you can. i used it exlusively in ng+ and swatted every single invader that dared to 1v1 me. slow, but very fun weapon for many situations.

Caja 117

You can't raise the bridge that patches lowers. The way to get across is up an elevator by the bonfire, where you'll eventually end up on the rafters of the cathedral, and you can drop down to the other side of that bridge. IIRC you can raise it from that side.

Thanks, I think I took that elevator before but didn't went too far after.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
try the black knight greataxe if you can. i used it exlusively in ng+ and swatted every single invader that dared to 1v1 me. slow, but very fun weapon for many situations.

Awesome. Hie does the ice sword that starts with n i hold up in ng+

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Did anyone else experience the bug in coop where the boss and the host never attack?

This has happened twice to me now. I get summoned to help with a bossfight, enter the boss area but then both the boss and the host never attack and just glide over the map and I'm free to hit the boss as many times as I want.

https://gfycat.com/HugeUncommonGermanshepherd

Did anyone else experience the bug in coop where the boss and the host never attack?

This has happened twice to me now. I get summoned to help with a bossfight, enter the boss area but then both the boss and the host never attack and just glide over the map and I'm free to hit the boss as many times as I want.

https://gfycat.com/HugeUncommonGermanshepherd

A few times now against the princes.
They slide around never attacking.
Free 23k souls.
Whatever.

lionpants

Well, I was excited because I have been summoned for Darkmoon twice since the patch today. And... now it has totally stopped. I guess farming it is. :(

Unai

Chaos blade has S dex scaling when upgraded.

I may be mis-remembering, but I think the Chaos Blade has S at +4. Dunno if it gets that earlier, I just upgraded it that far without looking at changes.

It's worth noting that the Chaos Blade damages the user, 15 damage a strike. Also, it can't be buffed. I don't know if it's worth the hassle to be honest. I'm still using my Uchigatana.

TheBear

I'm currently sitting at 99 hollowed, does this matter at all? If I use a purging stone will I go back to zero? Does it matter when I use it?

Also, i'm running a STR/DEX/INT build with a refined +7 morning star using magic weapon. Is this a good mix? Should I infuse it with something else?

Thanks for the help

Salsa

am I the only one who does this every time I summon

JL7h58q.jpg

Woooooow. Beat
Pontiff
solo on my 5th try. Such a difficult boss! Got a little lucky at the end when I ran out of estus.

Is it normal to have 11 Estus Flask+7 at this point in the game? I have only encountered
one Lord of Cinder

Amirnol

Who is the last boss? I best him and it was so forgettable I couldn't tell you his lore or pretty much anything he looked like.
I'm surprised this is lost on so many people.

The way I see it, he/she is essentially your character from Dark Souls 1, or even 2. He/she has a melted crown on their head. Seeing their moveset reminded me so much of my own character, how I'd use a sword and spear and magic once I became a hybrid god at the end of those games. You could say the final boss is an amalgamation of all players' characters from the previous games. Before I even played DS3 and going in completely blind, I had a feeling we would run into our character from ages past by the end. This is my interpretation of it, anyway.

I died to them the first time because
I was playing it carefully like a Souls game, biding my time, checking for openings, avoiding hits. Then they started filling the room with a curse fog and I got cursed and died. xD

Went back, mashed mashed mashed almost blindly, and won in seconds. Stupid fight really.

Yeah, I died to
curse on my first attempt as well. Didn't realize it came from a gas though. Next attempt I went in guns blazing and got an easy win. Maybe they intentionally designed the boss to catch the typical cautious Souls player off guard?

Get'sMad

god dang it

server maintenance starts in a half hour and lasts 6 hours

guess I won't be playing tonight

edit: never mind I guess its only 2 hours on PS4 but I got a pop up while playing saying it was 1 UTC to 7 UTC but I guess thats XBONE only.

I'm surprised this is lost on so many people.

The way I see it, he/she is essentially your character from Dark Souls 1, or even 2. He/she has a melted crown on their head. Seeing their moveset reminded me so much of my own character, how I'd use a sword and spear and magic once I became a hybrid god at the end of those games. You could say the final boss is an amalgamation of all players' characters from the previous games. Before I even played DS3 and going in completely blind, I had a feeling we would run into our character from ages past by the end. This is my interpretation of it, anyway.

Basically this with one small addition.

tumblr_n7ox0j8EAj1tdk422o1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom