• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

lem0n

How much did you play of DS1 and did you like what you played?
I played until Darkroot Forest and got stuck. I loved what I played, but the three evil shrubbery assholes kept messing me up so I gave up. This was a couple days ago, playing it on XB1 backwards compatibility mode for the first time.

Elixist

I played until Darkroot Forest and got stuck. I loved what I played, but the three evil shrubbery assholes kept messing me up so I gave up. This was a couple days ago, playing it on XB1 backwards compatibility mode for the first time.

theres a hidden
bonfire
near there that makes that area less frustrating.

N
ameless King is finally down. I was determined to beat all DS3 bosses on my own this game. Took me 3 hours or so of playtime, and upgraded a couple weapons to try it. In the end I just had to stay back from him and bait his charge attacks.

Yeah, worked that way for me too. Previous bosses were to blame.

It's pretty good actually, especially if infuse the regular Great Scythe with Hollow or Sharp. Bleed effect adds extra damage. There are curious ways to boost the damage.

Equipping a Hollow infused shield for example, will boost your luck. So a Hollow Infused Scythe maxed with a Maxed Hollow Shield and Dex and/or Strength rings gives good damage. Scythes work well in certain scenarios when you want to outrange most weapons. I've found it quite useful so far.

I infused that scythe with sharp and at +3 it was getting its ass kicked in damage by almost 100 more by my black blade at +7 or so. Which is the equivalent or about.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
They're not shit at all, actually. You can make short work of the Boreal Dancer Knights without getting a scratch. They actually do good poise break damage too.

You can also get several more swings out of a stamina bar compared to Katanas and other weapons.

Sometimes doing the absolute most damage is not always the best tactic. If you can stunlock your enemy from a distance then you have a pretty good command of space.

Well I've been using the stock standard scythe with sharp infusion for the entire game so far and it's been solid. I just wanted a bit of a change.

MilkBeard

I infused that scythe with sharp and at +3 it was getting its ass kicked in damage by almost 100 more by my black blade at +7 or so. Which is the equivalent or about.

Your +3 weapon was getting beat by a +7 weapon, sounds about right? Black Blade is also one of the highest attack power katanas. I also have a Black Blade maxed, with hollow infusion and good luck. With a maxed Hollow shield boosting my luck and Strength ring, Black Blade gets around 420 attack power. The reason why the Black Blade is good is because it scales pretty well with strength as well as dex.

My Scythe has a little bit lower, somewhere around 400. Still, the range and less stamina depletion, as well as those grand side sweeps are really handy.

Well I've been using the stock standard scythe with sharp infusion for the entire game so far and it's been solid. I just wanted a bit of a change.

if you really want a great dex weapon, get an estoc and make it sharp. Estoc against the right enemy is fantastic. In PvP it will win you many duels unless the guy isn't getting staggered by your attacks.

No one knows?

I could be wrong but it seems like the same scaling rankings aren't necessarily equal; a B DEX scaling on a refined gem may be a middle B for example, whereas the same scaling on a sharp may be a high B.

I've noticed sometimes when browsing through infusions that the scaling rank would appear red or blue even though the rank would be the same.

Switch Back 9

Reading up on this and it seems the Washing Pole is better in almost every respect.

Shit scaling though.

Your +3 weapon was getting beat by a +7 weapon, sounds about right? Black Blade is also one of the highest attack power katanas. I also have a Black Blade maxed, with hollow infusion and good luck. With a maxed Hollow shield boosting my luck and Strength ring, Black Blade gets around 420 attack power. The reason why the Black Blade is good is because it scales pretty well with strength as well as dex.

My Scythe has a little bit lower, somewhere around 400. Still, the range and less stamina depletion, as well as those grand side sweeps are really handy.

+3 scythe out of a possible +5. If you're going to be limited with upgrades at least make it worth it.

Not only that the special attack for frost requires faith, so why even scale it with dex.

Reading up on this and it seems the Washing Pole is better in almost every respect.

Shit scaling though.

washing pole is great but do you really want a main weapon with that shitty durability?

zma1013

If you give up there I'd say there's a good chance you will run into even harder roadblocks in DS3.

I'd say give it a bit of time, then go back and give it another attempt. Many people tell stories of dropping the game quickly into it only to retry it later and find themselves playing it nonstop until they finish.

What was the last boss you fought?

Also, don't think these are games you can beat in a weekend, or even a week. These will take quite a bit of time to tackle. Be prepared to be in an area or possibly a boss for a couple of hours possibly or an entire evening.

lionpants

I could be wrong but it seems like the same scaling rankings aren't necessarily equal; a B DEX scaling on a refined gem may be a middle B for example, whereas the same scaling on a sharp may be a high B.

I've noticed sometimes when browsing through infusions that the scaling rank would appear red or blue even though the rank would be the same.
Ya, that seems the most likely explanation. Thanks.

Switch Back 9

+3 scythe out of a possible +5. If you're going to be limited with upgrades at least make it worth it.

Not only that the special attack for frost requires faith, so why even scale it with dex.

washing pole is great but do you really want a main weapon with that shitty durability?

Durability has not even be remotely an issue so far. Is it that bad with the WP? I don't mind repair powder and shit now and then but for eventual PvP...

MilkBeard

Try Katanas, although you will find the range wanting, unless you go Washing Pole or a few others. The Bloodlust is also a really fun weapon, even if at max it doesn't do as much damage. It's really fun using the weapon skill and causing staggering effect to Knights.

Still, a maxed Hollow Black Blade, maxed Hollow Scythe and a
Firelink Greatsword
are my main weapons. It gives me a full range of attacks for different situations.

I still want to play around with the twinswords. The Gotthard Twinswords look really good, although I'm not sure if they are Dex or not. But I saw a video and they were outdamaging many other weapons in duels.

lem0n

If you give up there I'd say there's a good chance you will run into even harder roadblocks in DS3.

I'd say give it a bit of time, then go back and give it another attempt. Many people tell stories of dropping the game quickly into it only to retry it later and find themselves playing it nonstop until they finish.

What was the last boss you fought?

So I hear. The games just so good I want more! Plus pretty gfx would be a plus :) Last one was the first boss on the bridge. Right before the dragon. I haven't got far yet.

BizzyBum

Invading is not really fun in this.

99% of the time I'm fighting the host plus two sunbros or a mix to make it 3v1. Occasionally you get the epic or troll moment with just the host, but it's few and far between.

I find dueling via the Red Sign Soapstone to be much more fun.

MilkBeard

I vote Lothric, though that may just be from years of practice against the other two. They hit goddamn hard.

Lothric Knights are worse, imo. The others are much easier to backstab. The Lothric Knights with the shields are a pain in the ass.

Actually, I'd say the mace weilding greatshield knights are probably the worst for me. Those delayed swings always throw me off.

Switch Back 9

Try Katanas, although you will find the range wanting, unless you go Washing Pole or a few others. The Bloodlust is also a really fun weapon, even if at max it doesn't do as much damage. It's really fun using the weapon skill and causing staggering effect to Knights.

Still, a maxed Hollow Black Blade, maxed Hollow Scythe and a
Firelink Greatsword
are my main weapons. It gives me a full range of attacks for different situations.

I still want to play around with the twinswords. The Gotthard Twinswords look really good, although I'm not sure if they are Dex or not. But I saw a video and they were outdamaging many other weapons in duels.

So then would you recommend a Dex/Luck build? I'm only lvl65 and my dex is already at 40.

zma1013

So I hear. The games just so good I want more! Plus pretty gfx would be a plus :) Last one was the first boss on the bridge. Right before the dragon. I haven't got far yet.

So just as a hint, since you are having trouble, try going back away from the forrest area and exploring other places. You usually have at least a couple different places to explore at any given time during the game. You missed something substantial along your trek to the forest.

MilkBeard

So then would you recommend a Dex/Luck build? I'm only lvl65 and my dex is already at 40.

If you are already Dex, and there are not many weapons that you like that are more 'quality build' (i.e. they use both strength and dex) then you could level up Luck, it will boost the bleed effect and will scale with Hollow infusion.

In my opinion, Hollow/luck build is the next step for a Dex user. A Hollow weapon does more damage than a Sharp weapon if you have even remotely any points in luck.

Durability has not even be remotely an issue so far. Is it that bad with the WP? I don't mind repair powder and shit now and then but for eventual PvP...

For PvP you should be fine. Katanas in general can last you many many fight clubs. And as long as you have a backup weapon you'll be fine.

Hence why I suggest a sharp estoc for PvP.

leehom

Is anyone else experiencing a lot of slow down in areas that had no slow down before prior to the patches??

I'm reinstalling my game right now to see if it fixes the issue, but I'm getting single digit fps in a lot of places now....

If it's not the game, my ssd might need to be cleaned up.

Switch Back 9

If you are already Dex, and there are not many weapons that you like that are more 'quality build' (i.e. they use both strength and dex) then you could level up Luck, it will boost the bleed effect and will scale with Hollow infusion.

Well now I have to do some math to find out whether Hollow infusion + high Luck gives me more damage than Sharp infusion + high Dex.

Oh how I missed Dark Souls.

For PvP you should be fine. Katanas in general can last you many many fight clubs. And as long as you have a backup weapon you'll be fine.

Hence why I suggest a sharp estoc for PvP.

Cool thanks!

MilkBeard

Well now I have to do some math to find out whether Hollow infusion + high Luck gives me more damage than Sharp infusion + high Dex.

Oh how I missed Dark Souls.

Cool thanks!

I went first leveling Dex to 40, and then started leveling Luck to about 25. At this point, all my Hollowed Weapons outclass their Sharp counterparts. Also, when you equip a Hollow weapon it boosts luck by a certain amount depending on how much you've upgraded the weapon. So you don't even need to level luck to 40. With a Hollow Weapon and Shield maxed, I went from about 25 luck to 34 luck when they are both equipped.

I'm running it and it seems fine. The Twinswords also seem to be amazing for inflicting bleed and high damage (though I haven't tried it myself yet, and I don't know if it's the Gotthards in particular that do it).

Ha, killed NK on my first attempt on my second character at lv64 with a greatsword.

I figured greatsword must of been some easy way to kill him or something since I did the same and so many people complain about him.
Just went after the birds head so much that I was able to do a visceral attack on it from it getting stunned and that killed it fast. Then in the second phase just dodge towards and through his attacks made it so I didn't get hit much. Also when he was doing some long ass charging move I was able to stun him as well.

On the advice of some gaffers, I'm about to start using my Steam Controller exclusively for a while and see how it goes. I've heard good things, but honestly the learning curve is making me pretty apprehensive.

Switch Back 9

I went first leveling Dex to 40, and then started leveling Luck to about 25. At this point, all my Hollowed Weapons outclass their Sharp counterparts. Also, when you equip a Hollow weapon it boosts luck by a certain amount depending on how much you've upgraded the weapon. So you don't even need to level luck to 40. With a Hollow Weapon and Shield maxed, I went from about 25 luck to 34 luck when they are both equipped.

I'm running it and it seems fine. The Twinswords also seem to be amazing for inflicting bleed and high damage (though I haven't tried it myself yet, and I don't know if it's the Gotthards in particular that do it).

All right then Dex/Luck it is!!

Man this library sucks. The books are terrible and the librarians throw sticky white stuff at you.

very_poor_choice_of_words.gif

Sorry, I'll make myself out.

Elixist

On the advice of some gaffers, I'm about to start using my Steam Controller exclusively for a while and see how it goes. I've heard good things, but honestly the learning curve is making me pretty apprehensive.

i just cant stand the "look" of mouse/touchpad aiming in games that dont need it. so choppy and quick in camera movements, i turn down cam. sensitivity for controller for that smooth look.

jett

D-Member
Hmm.

Hmmm.

I just beat
Abyss Watchers
on NG+ on my first try, and without much of an issue.

Did I GIT GUD? That shit certainly felt gud at least.

That must've been the most infuriating bossfight of my original run. And now I was evading that mofo's attacks with relative ease.

p.s. rapiers are by far the best weapons I've ever used in this game. Destroying fewls with the Irithyll Rapier +5, seems to stunlock most enemies, I get nine attacks in one stamina bar.

Is anyone else experiencing a lot of slow down in areas that had no slow down before prior to the patches??

I'm reinstalling my game right now to see if it fixes the issue, but I'm getting single digit fps in a lot of places now....

If it's not the game, my ssd might need to be cleaned up.

The frame-rate tanked on the PS4 version after the patch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Answered my own question from earlier - the latest Nvidia drivers cause stuttering on PC. Rolled back to the last driver and I'm back to good stuff.

Few new newbie questions...

When do I start upgrading my weapon? I just fought some regular enemy that was basically like the tutorial boss (fuck him), and haven't changed my starting gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom